Xonetacular's Setup

Xonetacular's Setup
Posted on: 25.11.2011 by Romelia Stankard
Now that we can edit threads again I'll post my current setup here for those of you who don't feel like sifting through 26 pages if you are unfortunate enough to be using the default 10 posts per page

dj setup:

I need to take updated pictures-

looks like this

but over here:

studio/modular setup as of june 2012

running genome midi on the ipad into ableton out to the modular- such a nice sequencer and very hands on and nice to use on the ipad. I might eventually switch to an expert sleepers digital audio to CV interface for better latency- I believe the latency on the midi/cv converter is more of an issue than over wireless (and genome has stuff built in to compensate) but that's just a guess. Still useable how it is now.

modular setup as of july 2012:

---------------------------------
original post:
It all started three years ago with two Technics 1200 MK2s, a budget numark mixer, and about 15 vinyl records, and Sond MDR-V6 headphones.

Quickly I realized vinyl was expensive and I decided to get Traktor Scratch Pro

I decided I wanted to upgrade my mixer and get something scratch certified so I got a Mackie d.4 pro

My first attempt at a production setup involved ableton live 7, an MPD32, and a Microkorg

Lang Abriel
Xone, I made need to try to get some info out of you in order to try to do this myself, do you pick them up off ebay? What are the key things that must be working with the techs when u buy them?
Romelia Stankard
Some work in progress pics of this 1200 I've been working on today. This thing was disgusting looking.

Romelia Stankard
It's not supposed to cause any issues and I personally haven't had any problems with any decks I've done. Occasionally I've heard of people complaining after the mod was done they would get weird scopes and I've had people say they didn't want their tables internally grounded which is why I didn't do this pair.

who knows I probably will internally ground this next pair.
Dorie Scelzo
Weird
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by mostapha
Sorry
Dorie Scelzo
Sorry
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by mostapha
Xone, good luck. If the margins are as high as that, I'm seriously considering referbing some techs to bring in extra money.

Seriously
Tatum Ansaldo
Originally Posted by DJDoubleYou
Is there a tutorial somewhere on how to do that yourself??
It's all on YouTube, but taking apart a 1200 is a right pain in the ass.
Era Roka
Is there a tutorial somewhere on how to do that yourself??
Dorie Scelzo
Xone, good luck. If the margins are as high as that, I'm seriously considering referbing some techs to bring in extra money.

Seriously
Lang Abriel
I would be interested but I could never spend $1000 just for the nostalgia of an item...I mean i get that there is a market price set at that but i tihnk it is driven by alot of ppl who don't really know what they are doing (better yet why they are spending the money)

Just by 2 cents, good for you for turning a profit though.
Tatum Ansaldo
If I lived it he states I'd be interested in some restored 1210s and maybe selling you my 1200s for you to upgrade, but alas we have the Atlantic ocean in the way!
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by scamo
Hey Xone, Out of curiosity, how much are you going to want for those TTs?

And just a general Question, but since Technics is no longer in existence, won't it be harder and harder to get such TTs?

scamo
My asking price is $1100 and I would take $1000 cash if someone offered- which is funny since that's what I used to sell pairs like this for a couple years ago when they were still made. I see similar pairs go for 1100-1200 on ebay.

Yes they will get harder and harder to find but it should be pretty steady for a while. I'm never selling my MK5s though.
Rey Holubar
Hey Xone, Out of curiosity, how much are you going to want for those TTs?

And just a general Question, but since Technics is no longer in existence, won't it be harder and harder to get such TTs?

scamo
Felipe Rasper
Looks great !
Georgiann Bayze
Wow that looks amazing!
Romelia Stankard
first set fixed up and done. feels like I spent endless hours fixing these up it's pretty tiring.

finally fixed up my first set and put on new leds, new cables, new connectors, new ground wires- ugh so many hours of work.

now to sell these and get a Virus Ti
Romelia Stankard
Today is the day I start on my adventure or rewiring all of these and installing LEDs...

My MK5s are on the right, the rest need to be fixed up to trade/sell. I just need to rewrie my MK5s. I'm going to rewire and install LED kits on the two nicest looking silver tables. The black one and one of the silver ones definitely need to be repainted or something- I'm going to attempt to strip the paint this weekend if I have the energy then decide how I want to paint them...
Terese Bachorski
Jeeez, byebye. Yeah, maybe you're right and he should just stick to the behringer microphone. I guess authority prevails over acoustics knowledge

Members must not change a post that has been Moderated. Its a pretty serious offence as far as i am concerned.
wasn't aware of that your honor. Could have just used your mod powers and delete the whole post while sending me a pm explaining the rules that constitute a "serious offence" and solve this matter. Like I said, nevermind.
nayit ruiz jaramillo
Originally Posted by Manu
I merely offered highly accurate acoustics advice, he obviously could use it? Nevermind...
@ Manu, if you ever edit a Moderated post again you will receive an infraction or temporary ban.

Members must not change a post that has been Moderated. Its a pretty serious offence as far as i am concerned.

I am, in no way joking.

I suggest that you do not post in this thread anymore as it is clear that you are simply trolling it.

Karlos
Terese Bachorski
I merely offered highly accurate acoustics advice, he obviously could use it? Nevermind...
nayit ruiz jaramillo
These 'Setup' Threads are for serious discussion only.

No p*ssing in each others threads.
Terese Bachorski
[Complete Post Edited by Karlos Santos.]
Silas Teitzel
lol
Romelia Stankard
I wonder what Manu is trolling on about this time....

Actually not really I don't care.
Terese Bachorski
Originally Posted by Xonetacular
Just ordered one of these

Amazon.com: Behringer ECM8000 Condenser Ultra-Linear Measurement Condenser Microphone: Musical Instruments

I hear it is pretty good and unbeatable for the price and isn't typical behringer and I'm not ready to spend more than $50 on a calibration mic and this one was recommended.

I need to calibrate my sub and monitors to work as best as I'm going to get in that room. I have no idea what I need to do to calibrate a room but I know I need the mic, so now just got figure out what software to use and how to make the most out of the space I have.

looool. You need to figure out the resonance frequencies of your room. That can be done using a pen and paper. Then you use tones to check the math (winamp does that for free, one hertz at a time) starting from the bottom range (bass). Wall to wall, floor to top and any other surfaces facing each other (axial modes), f = c/W ( f=frequency, c=speed of sound and W= wavelength. Hope you're not lost yet because it gets complicated:

tangential modes:

Oblique modes:

And that's when your room is square so I'm afraid you're in for some trouble. Fortunately there is a formula for it:

p. q and r = wave numbers of the three axial modes. then you enter width, length and height of the room and c for the speed of sound. With that you can figure it all out hertz by hertz. As you may have figured by now is that your 50 dollar crapinger mic won't do any of that
A little research comes out cheaper: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar0...s/monitors.asp
http://www.acoustics.salford.ac.uk/a...o/room_sizing/

You don't calibrate a room that's already there, you design it first hand then build it. The way your setup is at the moment is terrible. Your speakers are placed in a small area that generates standing waves and will emphasize the bass simply because both speakers are in a corner.

Then I noticed you have zero sound treatment apart from the carpet. Nice try with the mopads but that's useless when said mopads are resting on flimsy bits of plywood. A bit cheap knowing how you usually splash the money around. You have much stuff to learn, and you're gonna have to make do with what you got because there ain't much room to tune anything in there. Have fun, ta ta.

I know I need the mic
Nope... You need some sound treatment foam panels, gorilla glue and some bass traps.
Hye Bertman
Dude you have my dream setup for mixing and for production. I want to be like you when I grow up.
Romelia Stankard
Tiny updates

Had an extra folding stainless hook for my headphones in my studio.

Got a latching footswitch for my subwoofer. The gen 2 krk 10s has a 1/4" jack in the back to hook up a foot switch and it allows you to bypass the subwoofer and crossover completely so you can just hit the switch and hear how it sounds with the sub out of the equation. It's a very useful feature I use a lot. For some reason the switch didn't work out of the box with the sub and always turned it off because of the way the LED was wired it was turning the sub off all the time so I had to open it and cut the LED lead.

Lizabeth Peight
Absolutely love it thank you. Brilliant photo story, loved the journey.
Lang Abriel
My JBLs come with a mic and software but haven't had a chance to calibrate...really haven't seen a point until i finish a original track, most of the stuff im making are remixes and mashups so i can judge pretty well off of the orginal pieces that i use. I can't imagine a mixdown with a sub though, would change my perspective alot i believe
Romelia Stankard
Just ordered one of these

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-ECM8000-Ultra-Linear-Measurement-Microphone/dp/B000HT4RSA"]Amazon.com: Behringer ECM8000 Condenser Ultra-Linear Measurement Condenser Microphone: Musical Instruments@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21VI8fjxg9L.@@AMEPARAM@@21VI8fjxg9L[/ame]

I hear it is pretty good and unbeatable for the price and isn't typical behringer and I'm not ready to spend more than $50 on a calibration mic and this one was recommended.

I need to calibrate my sub and monitors to work as best as I'm going to get in that room. I have no idea what I need to do to calibrate a room but I know I need the mic, so now just got figure out what software to use and how to make the most out of the space I have.
Georgiann Bayze
That's one hell of a timeline
Rey Holubar
Or pull your desk forward a few inches.

But yeah, pet peeves. Oh boy. Life is full of them.

scamo
Jacquiline Dua
You can prop the monitor up on a Lstand, and have more room to slide stuff underneath
Romelia Stankard
Yeah not too much room for any bracing. I was believeing about putting one piece of wood triangular across but that might get in the way of LCDs too since I purposely made it tight so they would be aimed right at ear level.

I don't believe 3/4" would dip really but it's not too much of an issue now just a small pet peeve knowing it could be better.
Rey Holubar
Xone, I believe with 3/4" it would dip some too. It's the engineering. You could use something like this to help support the sides towards the middle.

It's an Ikea Ekby Lerberg braket.

Edit/ Looking again, I see your monitors are snug underneath the shelves. Hmm...

scamo
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by TeddyWhite
what size monitors are those?
Studio monitors or LCD monitors?

The KRKs are 8" RP8 gen 1s

The LCDs are 24" and 22". It's kind of annoying me having two different sized LCDs so I'm going to look for a deal on another 24" monitor on craigslist.
Laci Billingham
what size monitors are those?
Johnetta Olewine
right on
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by oliosky
got any productions floating around gerty?
I got quite a bit of work done on a techno track this weekend (that's the craziness going on in maschine on the screen), I'll put a WIP up in the next couple days since I could use some feedback on it.

<< Back to What have you got? Post some cool photos of your setup.Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy