Xonetacular's Setup

Xonetacular's Setup
Posted on: 25.11.2011 by Romelia Stankard
Now that we can edit threads again I'll post my current setup here for those of you who don't feel like sifting through 26 pages if you are unfortunate enough to be using the default 10 posts per page

dj setup:

I need to take updated pictures-

looks like this

but over here:

studio/modular setup as of june 2012

running genome midi on the ipad into ableton out to the modular- such a nice sequencer and very hands on and nice to use on the ipad. I might eventually switch to an expert sleepers digital audio to CV interface for better latency- I believe the latency on the midi/cv converter is more of an issue than over wireless (and genome has stuff built in to compensate) but that's just a guess. Still useable how it is now.

modular setup as of july 2012:

---------------------------------
original post:
It all started three years ago with two Technics 1200 MK2s, a budget numark mixer, and about 15 vinyl records, and Sond MDR-V6 headphones.

Quickly I realized vinyl was expensive and I decided to get Traktor Scratch Pro

I decided I wanted to upgrade my mixer and get something scratch certified so I got a Mackie d.4 pro

My first attempt at a production setup involved ableton live 7, an MPD32, and a Microkorg

Romelia Stankard
Finished my super cheap ikea 6u rack case

Ikea rast $15
6u rack rails $8 form parts express
rack screws $3
misc wood and parts from lowes (had them cut back panel piece there) $10

~$40 total

Tiptop happy ending kit $150 (already had it)
extra z-ears and rails- $40

Not bad for a nice looking case with power

Loyce Mekonen
Can't really figure how to use all that stuff... but looks cool, that's for sure lol
Romelia Stankard
I have no idea what I'm doing but I'm hooked and now understand the hype

I'm going to need a lot more modules

Romelia Stankard
Time to update this thread which is just turning into a running blog and case study into gear addiction

A few weeks ago I told myself I was going to try to go 6 months without any major gear purchases and try to focus on the tools I had. That lasted about 2 weeks until I had the brilliant idea to get into modular synths

my modular thread which I will keep in more detail: http://community .djranking s.com/showthread.php?t=52979

I'll just put the main updates here

this is what I went with (modular planner image)

Tiptiop happy ending kit tabletop 3u rack and power supply system
Doepfer A-190-1 MIDI/CV io
2x bubblesound VCOb triangle core oscillators
Doepfer A-140 ADSR
4ms Pingable Envelope Generator
Maleko Borg Filter
Pittsburgh Modular Dual Index (dual amplifier with built in mixer)
12x stackable cables
10x regular cables

the happy ending kit is a tabletop 3u rack mount kit with power supply

Really glad I was impatient and paid $40 extra for 2 day air from my analogue haven order which comes tomorrow or I would have been going crazy if I had to wait until friday or next monday for it.

i'm skeptical that the a-190 will fit in the tabletop ears it looks deep

problem solved, I made some extended feet for the rack ears of the happy ending kit to hold me over until I get a rack or decent case

have to be prepared for tomorrow when i get home after the rest is delivered, don't want to be running around or cutting wood
Brunilda Kora
The one's (and two's) I have are in good working condition - but they are COVERED in dust and grime. I just need to take 'em apart, clean the components, and re-assemble/calibrate 'em. Possibly paint them...
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by Patch
Nice job - are those new tone arms, or serviced originals?
I completely replaced one of them, tuned the other. I need to order some more tone arms, replacing them isn't as annoying as I expected and have another pair to do. I had to really tweak one of the housings since the lift arm lever was corroded into place.
Dannielle Dingey
These look great, awsome job !

I would love to restore a beat up pair, looking for some atm but they still ask +200 euro for a broken one.
I also have a problem with my old SL1200, the cue lever is not working anymore, is that an easy fix ?
Brunilda Kora
Nice job - are those new tone arms, or serviced originals?
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by djlotus
That's pretty dope. Though I would have a hard time justifying $80 for a soldering iron.

Your tone arm wires are beat to shit. Did you replace them at one point?
That pic was just before I desoldered them and installed a new tone arm- I'm pretty sure that 1200 was from the early 80s so they had degraded a bit.

Was waiting on that soldering iron to do it and I finally finished the other 1200.

Ira Alsadi
That's pretty dope. Though I would have a hard time justifying $80 for a soldering iron.

Your tone arm wires are beat to shit. Did you replace them at one point?
Romelia Stankard
^haha nice Padi

xpost from the soldering iron thread

Holy crap this Hakko FX-888 is amazing. Easily one of the best soldering irons I've ever used. I remembered the old Hakkos were good but this is even better- it's definitely a noticeable step up from the wellers. Incredibly precise temperature control (accurate within 1 degree vs. 10 degrees on the wellers), great build quality, and really well designed. The funky colored base that looks plastic is actually some solid high tech ceramic- very well engineered.

This thing heats u so fast I thought it was off- heats up to 700 degrees it literally 10-15 seconds. You can see when the heater turns on and off from the LED and the temperature control is very stable. Highly recommended for $80 and you can't beat it considering it beats wellers and other brands priced double. I need to get some other tips for it.

yeah I solder in my kitchen, what?
Jose Courts
Johnna Callery
I had two sticks of 4 gb ram for 8 total...I know i removed one of them..I just got fed up and sent it back...hopefully they will replace it quickly...
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by cyberphox
I bought the same motherboard and was running into the same issues, it would turn on and just reboot every 3 secs...i sent it back to Gigabyte for RMA...I read a firmware upgrade fixes it, but I never could even get the board to post.
It didnt like all 4 sticks of ram. It's fine with three and 12gb is more than enough for now, I don't really want to send the board back- If I ever want more ram I may just get 8gb sticks of g.skill like I should have done in the first place.
Johnna Callery
I bought the same motherboard and was running into the same issues, it would turn on and just reboot every 3 secs...i sent it back to Gigabyte for RMA...I read a firmware upgrade fixes it, but I never could even get the board to post.

Originally Posted by Xonetacular
Yeah I changed all those settings- I don't believe the issue I was having was related to OSX it is just a hardware issue since I was having issues just posting and getting stability- pretty sure it's the ram. I might get some g.skill and send this stuff back. Once I changed everything to AHCI I had no issue installing OSX to the SSD.

Didn't have time last evening to set up anything else or run benchmarks, I'll do it this weekend. I'll also check out that thread, thanks.

@ashigari - that image was from scratchworx
Lewis Stumpf
That desk is a beauty. I love woodworking.

Personally, though, I believe your setup needs at least another 1200 to REALLY stand out.
Elinore Detour
This is ridiculous! Love that you designed the desk and then actually made it. Hats of to you mate for pure dedication. Serious gear envy over here.
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by JDFS
How's performance of your Hackintosh? How's latency in Traktor and Ableton?
It's awesome, I don't have traktor installed but ableton with as many waves and fabfilter plugins as ive thrown on hasn't flinched where my old pc would freak out after about 4.

Sb - yeah if you want to get technical
Halley Wurzer
Don't MK5s have a different anti-skate? (goes to 6 instead of 3?)
Basil Forshee
How's performance of your Hackintosh? How's latency in Traktor and Ableton?
Dorie Scelzo
Originally Posted by Xonetacular
You can get stickers that say M3D but if you are going to mod them you might as well just get MK5 stickers since they will pretty much be MK5s as soon as you put LEDs on and no one will know they were once M3Ds.
Unless they look at serial numbers and come after you for fraud.
Tatum Ansaldo
Cheeky...
Halley Wurzer
Right on - appreciate it!
Romelia Stankard
You will also need to order the replacement metal pitch decals, they are thin aluminum and you will ruin them taking them off to paint. They are cheap and just stick back on and look good as new. You can get stickers that say M3D but if you are going to mod them you might as well just get MK5 stickers since they will pretty much be MK5s as soon as you put LEDs on and no one will know they were once M3Ds.
Halley Wurzer
Thanks man! Might paint my M3Ds.
Romelia Stankard
I sanded the old paint mostly off, primed them, sprayed gloss white, then gloss clear coat. It is all automotive spray enamel cans. The text are decals bought off ebay that are stuck on.
Halley Wurzer
How did you do the black text on the 1200s you painted white? And did you just spray them? Any clear coat?
Romelia Stankard
Focal CMS 65s, these things are pretty incredible. I believe they are broken in I ran them for like 25 hours now they sound pretty amazing. I also believe they look awesome as a bonus (much better than the new genelecs, dynaudios, etc.), it looks like composite from pictures but they are actually thick sold aluminum anodized cases.

I got around to painting these 1200s which I'm going to sell and then buy bass traps. I also grabbed another 1200 off craigslist a few hours ago so I have another pair I need to paint.

grabbed this for cheap

needs a new tone arm, I didn't realize until I got home the tine piece that juts out for the tone arm lift is broken off but everything else is fine for the price and it will get paint
Dorie Scelzo
There are a couple companies that make custom covers too. I believe there's a styleflip template for it…or something like them.

I've thought about it, but I like mine the way it is. The wooden sides would be awesome…but I'd want something else that I could carry around until I committed to that. It fits too nicely in my backpack as is.
Makkins Clifton
Looks slick for the money. The custom white ones they raffled are 200$ a pop, a bit too much.
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by HedgeHog
Dude, where did you get the white MASCHINE?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NI-Maschine-...#ht_500wt_1054
Makkins Clifton
Dude, where did you get the white MASCHINE?
Romelia Stankard
The 1D was the best at what it did during its time, but now there are much better options and I wouldn't buy one... Better off with an X1 or K2.
Nereida Jasnoch
Using and mapping a Xone 1D for loops, track browsing and selection, and some effects, do you believe it's well suited for that ?
How did you map it ? And what was your overall impression of the controller ?
And do you believe the tiny buttons in the middle are suited for cuepoints ?
I'm afraid not, but then again I've never seen a 1D in the flesh.
Ira Alsadi
Let me know when you plan to sell one of your subs.
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by djlotus
Are you going to be selling your sub also?
I have two KRK 10s subs. I'll keep one for my dj setup with my other set of RP8s and eventually sell the other and get a Focal CMS sub.

Originally Posted by Otacon
sweet hackintosh man, glorious double monitor goodness

Thanks. At some point I plan to upgrade LCDs and get two of those cheap Korean LED 27" 2560x1440 monitors.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1225919/y...p-monitor-club

Erich Vallabhaneni
sweet hackintosh man, glorious double monitor goodness
Ira Alsadi
Are you going to be selling your sub also?
Romelia Stankard
I've been totally taking advantage of the past year and the following few months where I will still have an opportunity to spend recklessly and not save any money I earn, it's working out quite nicely.

Just ordered a pair of new Focal CMS 65s. Everything I have read and they are stunning- they don't pop up used really and Focal has an agreement with all sellers where they cannot go below $795 each so I had to pay full price.

If I'm going to upgrade from KRKs I might as well do it right and really upgrade. I actually sold my lesser cosmetic condition RP8s for $300 which is $100 more than I paid over the weekend. Room treatment is next on the list for sure next week and will place an order with GIK.
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by Scott Michael
Did you change the High Precision Event Timer (HPET) to 64 bit and set the AHCI mode instead of IDE in the bios prior to install. That could be cause your boot issues.

Also here is an entire thread dedicated to UD3/6870(50) builds. Its almost 50 pages long and loaded full of good information.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=168&t=32306

If you decide to re-install to achieve better stability and proper boot times, I'd highly reccomend unibeast/multibeast method. I can gladly help you if you'd like as well. Installing kext files (kernel extentions) and selecting the proper set up files from multibeast isn't hard at all. Feel free to PM me if you need some help an decided to try the install again.

Here are the basics to the install though:

Once done with making Unibeast drive do this:
Set bios to these settings:
1.HPET to 64bit from 32bit
2.All settings that say IDE, change it to AHCI
3.Plug in flash drive, mouse, monitor, keyboard and reboot.
4.Go to boot menu (on the GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 it is F12)
5.Select USB-HDD and hit enter.
6.If it doesn't boot into the iBoot looking screen try to plug USB drive into other port and 7.hit enter again
8.Choose USB from menu
-OPTIONAL- Go to disk utility and format your HDD/SSD, you may need to do this.
9.Install OSX Like normal
10.Boot from Unibeast Drive again
11. Boot from new OSX install
12.Put DSDT-x.aml on desktop (free download from tonymacx86)
13.Run MultiBeast with recommended settings by Gordo
14. Reboot and enjoy!

Download these few programs and run them to check for system stablity and proper function. What are your read/write speeds of the SSD?

Uniegine Heaven (there is a mac version)
Nova Bench
Geek Bench
Cinebench
Yeah I changed all those settings- I don't believe the issue I was having was related to OSX it is just a hardware issue since I was having issues just posting and getting stability- pretty sure it's the ram. I might get some g.skill and send this stuff back. Once I changed everything to AHCI I had no issue installing OSX to the SSD.

Didn't have time last evening to set up anything else or run benchmarks, I'll do it this weekend. I'll also check out that thread, thanks.

@ashigari - that image was from scratchworx

<< Back to What have you got? Post some cool photos of your setup.Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy