Did you Successfully Upgrade your firmware?

Home :: DJ TechTools' VCI-100 FAQ :: Did you Successfully Upgrade your firmware?Reply
Did you Successfully Upgrade your firmware?
Posted on: 24.08.2008 by
Let the others know your setup here:

What kind of computer and cable did you use? Any specific steps you found helpful?

Thanks for sharing!
Lilliam Hsiang
my upgrade situation is as follows:

I thought I had successfully upgraded to 1.3 and after a restart cannot power up my VCi-100.

[Please note this account is a very general and I can provide more detail if required]

I have a macbook pro with windows XP partition (bootcamp). I am using a serial (DB9) to USB cable and followed the video tutorial up to the point of running the basic version of Renesas.

I am a mac user with limited experience with P.C / Windows operation. I could not seem to locate the basic version of the firmware upgrade software from the installation folder- there was an advanced icon and a standard icon and i loaded the standard one which matched the video tutorial up the point of selecting the firmware. The advanced version just has finish option in the final step.

I should of posted a query at this stage but though I would try adding the 1.3 upgrade file to the renesas software project i had set up. This has the appearance of a flow hierachy. I turned on the VCI-100 and then selected the add to device tab which ran the software.

I obtained the errors as mentioned earlier in this thread with boot failed as result. I then powered down checked the connections on the cables- noticing the firmware upgrade kit could be pressed in a few mm more.

Restarted and changed the serial comport i.D to 5 via device manager and re setup Renesas Advanced project. Turned on machine. ran add to device tab. software ran through sequence and successfully upgraded with green response!

I then shut down the computer and rebuilt the VCI-100 and restarted on the Mac ( TRAKTOR ) to test. Alas no apparent power to the unit!.

Have I fried the unit?

Is there a conflict / problem with the USB / power port? (as I set the comport to 5- even though I reset this to 3 and still no joy)

Is the firmware upgrade kit faulty?

Can I repeat with basic version of the software and expect results?

Any tricks to the advanced version of the software?

Any feedback much appreciated!
Ressie Bensel
One try and the update was successful. The update looks realy tricky, but in reality it was quite easy to install the files.

Setup:
Dell Inspirion 4600
2gb ram
serial usp converter (49.- Swiss Francs, damn high prises in switzerland ;-[)

Well thanks to DJTT, great job and great website!
Earnest Spink
Hi guys,

My Setup.
PC with XP SP3 (celeron 2,6 with 1GB Memory - not my DJ Laptop)
Serial Cable F/M (Part number 72-1276-01 about 6$ new, from my Cisco Router!)
VCI-100 FW 1.1
Original USB Cable from my VCI 100 (Not my high Quality DJ USB Cable)
Software and settings provided per installation guide links (DJ Tech Tools Guide).

First try, FW Update successful

PS: updated three VCI-100 in a row (two of mine, and one of a friends)
April Gault
Originally Posted by frak
Has anyone done this successfully with Parallels? I don't really want to have to by VMWare and install a new virtual machine just for this. Course, if push comes to shove, I'll just use my work PC but it would be nice to know...
I'm running Mac OS X (10.5.5) on a MacBook Pro. I successfully upgraded my firmware through Parallels running Windows XP (SP2?). The only issue I ran into was the time out error, which was fixed by setting the serial delay port fix to a higher rate as mentioned in the FAQ - Common Problems thread. I used Belkin's USB-to-Serial Portable Adapter which I picked up for $40 at a local Staples.
Takako Ragudo
I've successfully upgraded my firmware. Using Vista 32 and a serial to usb cable. The first few times I tried to write my firmware, I received the error 15064. I had my firmware adapter plugged into the VCI OVER the wire harness Ean says to unplug in the video. All I had to do was unplug that harness, re-affix the firmware and it worked.

If you're receiving the error 15064, try removing the firmware device and re-seat it a little more.

Great work DJTT!
Kathe Lefcourt
Just upgraded the Firmware! Running Windows XP on my custom desktop computer using a serial to serial cable. I got error 15064 when trying to write the firmware. Discovered that I had disabled my COM ports in the BIOS settings. Enabled both the onboard COM ports, rebooted, and worked like a charm from there!

Thanks for all your work helping the VCI community with the upgrades! I'm glad to have full functionality now!
Reba Ruhf
Edit: i'm an idiot, nevermind
Mitchel Mollenhauer
Custom PC running Vista 64bit - No problems whatsoever with a cheap RS232 cable (2GBP off ebay). Followed youtube video to firmware bliss!!

Easy upgrade and well worth it - Thanks
Rtnis m
Had no problems with mine Thank You on PC/Vista and null modem serial cable, worked first time.
Adolf Hit
I have PM'ed you the schematic I used for the upgrade kit design.
Lonna Steede
Hi Ean,

is it possible to get the circuit plan of your interface, because it's sold out and I can't wait to get your firmware working on my VCI ?

Greets
ako
Coy Dockter
Success! I oddly enough used a belkin usb2.0 dockstation with the suggested usb serial values.
Nolan Albrecht
Wow, i finally made it ;-)

Guess what? - Yes Ean, my Firmwarekid, Overlays, JogGrip arrived.

I had to fetch it at the german duty. I had to explain everything.They thought i was building a bomb, or what ever...

@home i made all the things i read in this community and went step by step from the video tutorial, and after i bought an old male/femal serial wire it all is perfekt.

Thnax to you all !!!
Xavier Emanuels
I upgraded with Vista on a Inspiron 1720 and a USB to Serial cable.

I had to do the changes described in the "If you are using a USB serial cable" sticky and resit the unit a couple times and in the end it worked.

To work out which com port the USB->Serial cable was using i payed attention in windows device manager when i pluged in the device and took note on what appeared when the device was plugged in. After the name of the USB->Serial cable driver name was in brackets the com port that needed to be used in the update software.
D D
Has anyone done this successfully with Parallels? I don't really want to have to by VMWare and install a new virtual machine just for this. Course, if push comes to shove, I'll just use my work PC but it would be nice to know...
Ryan Konarski
Originally Posted by LG_Rivales
Hi from france.

I received my firmware kit this morning, everything works fine, it's really easy to do with the video guide.

Just a question (i can't check it at home) : is the firmware 1.3 correct the bass problem (i.e when you're playin in a club, loud bass can influence the pitch bend) ?

Thanks for all !
LG unfortunally the 1.3 firmware is not going to fix the problem about the jogs thats was just a lil problem that vestax forgot lol the reason why the pitch change in loud enviorements like clubs is because the vibration of the bass in the club make the jogs wheels move a lil since theyr are really senesitivy but if u press the two buttons of jog seak at the smae time that should turn off the jogs wheel to turn it on just press the buttons again...like ur not using the jogs at all the time or u DOO????

Hi from france.

I received my firmware kit this morning, everything works fine, it's really easy to do with the video guide.

Just a question (i can't check it at home) : is the firmware 1.3 correct the bass problem (i.e when you're playin in a club, loud bass can influence the pitch bend) ?

Thanks for all !
Tribal Infector
Sorry! Missed Out these things. Now everything is fine Thanks for your support Ean!
creidiomar feijão
It Work fine here in France !!
Nice expedition delay, nice upgrade.

Wait for plates now !!

Thank you DJranking s team
Keep doing your excellent good job !!

Bye
Elia Ajram
I upgraded after some issues with Parallels and TinyXP in Mac OS X 10.4. Switched to VMware and a full blown Windows install, worked right out of the gate.
DJ Strutzip
First I'll appologize if I perhaps overlooked a "1.3 R&D" thread in my searching.

I'm experiencing a consistent problem. on random occasion, though everytime I play, my lights will quit functioning properly.

The cue buttons I have assigned for instance will function but will not light or un-light when pressed. They remain in the same position (lit or un-lit) as they were in previous to the glitch.

Turning the VCI off then on again seems to fix the problem and not effect Traktor playback.

I have added a beat phase monitor per deck, but did so at about the same time as installing the 1.3 upgrade.

anybody experiencing similar issues?

Originally Posted by Ikazz
Upgrading from version 1.2 to 1.3 went just fine!
Strangely though lower part of buttons don't work as intended - sync, drop, pause, play. pushing any of these engages PLAY function.

Another thing I noticed - loop shortening don't work as Ean showed in tutorial video. I can shorten loop maximum to 1 beat not 1/2, 1/4 or 1/8.
sounds like you are in juggle mode without any Cue points. Make sure you watch this post to figure out the loop shorten:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xuu0IKP-yE
team DonX
I've just updated mine to 1.3! No problems!
Tribal Infector
Upgrading from version 1.2 to 1.3 went just fine!
Strangely though lower part of buttons don't work as intended - sync, drop, pause, play. pushing any of these engages PLAY function.

Another thing I noticed - loop shortening don't work as Ean showed in tutorial video. I can shorten loop maximum to 1 beat not 1/2, 1/4 or 1/8.
Tommi Lahtinen
The upgrade worked well. I ran into an error after the software deleted them rom from the device. I just reset the power on the device, and tried to install again and it worked fine. Thanks again!!
Now I have two SEs
One Limited and one Upgraded. Maybe will do a button mod next.
DJ Strutzip
Mine booted well and connected. It gave a time-out message when trying to load the file, so I re-downloaded it and it worked like a charm!
Cesar Zarce
yezzzzz no problema
casey rascal
I just finished updating my VCI Firmware 1.1 to 1.3. I used the steps descibet by Ean, and it works like a charm. No errors, no bugs, no nothing. It works perfect!

I have a PC, SP3 and used a standard 9-pin serial cable and the Com1 port on my desktop PC. It took me 15 minuttes in total.

Ean and the rest of DJTT, thank you very much for my new and much improved VCI-100 !
Jo V
I upgraded today and first I got an error when trying to write the firmware.
The reason was that I used a DB9 Serial Null Modem Cable. When I tried a regular DB9 Serial Modem Cable it worked just fine.
At first I didn't know that the cables was two diffrent types of DB9 Serial Cables, but realized that after a while.
I used used a PC with XP SP2 and the adapter sold by djranking s.

Thank you so much for this firmware!
Aariz Qasid
I upgraded my firmware yesterday. Used the adapter sold by djranking s and a Sabent USB -> serial cable. No issues at all really. MacBook Pro, 10.5.4, XP on VMWare Fusion. Collecting all the pieces of software and getting everything ready took far more time than the actual upgrade. I checked which COM port my USB -> Serial cable showed up as (COM3 for me) before I started, using Device Manager. Great tip there, check before you start! Everything went without a hitch.

I've got a plain-jane VCI-100 so all the extra features of 1.3 are either confusing or mostly problematic for me. I may just boot up into 1.2 most of the time. There's lots of talk about the 1.3 on the SE but not a lot from people using the regular VCI-100. I'm going to play around with it some more today and see though.
amir miro
MacOS 10.5.4 on MacBook Core2Duo
VMWare Fusion 1.1.3 running my Boot Camp Partition (Win XP Pro)
USB-Serial Cable

I've got the 15024 error, so thanks to this community , I've changed my COM port from COM13 to COM2 and that's work!!

Thanks for this great firmware Ean !

Originally Posted by r1chardell1s
Followed the video, aside from the errors detailed in the other community which were remedied by unplugging the VCI-100's usb and reinserting, it was flawless.

For the benefit of others, could you specify what error you received and exactly what change fixed that error? Thanks!
Karl Forde
Followed the video, aside from the errors detailed in the other community which were remedied by unplugging the VCI-100's usb and reinserting, it was flawless.

Look at me!!!

I'm Ean Golden!!!
Jenny Pow
Windows Xp - SP3
Com port on back of motherboard, Standard 9 pin serial cable.

Only problem is my jog wheels lift up a little after opening (physical problem not software)
Hannes Deburchgraeve
I was finally successful. I used a Gigaware USB to Serial cable from RadioShack. Not the cheapest thing though... It's $38 with tax. I might return the thing though. hehe.

Originally, I had trouble because the serial to serial cable I tried to use wasn't working. Still not sure if the problem was related to the serial port or the serial cable. Perhaps I just don't know how to configure the port properly... I did try two different laptops (but they're almost the same model so it could be I just don't know how to configure the port with Dell).
SEBA Diaz
MacBook Pro, MacOSX 10.5.4
WinXP via VMWare Fusion 2.0b2
USB to serial cable from Monoprice.com (link below)
Installed driver for cable before following video instructions.
Make sure to select the correct port in the flashing software!

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
Cristian Carmona
I have a PC Windows XP SP2, I used a serial cable I got @ Frys for $3. I followed the video set by set and had no problems. If anyone needs help in the L.A. area I am help them upgrade.

<< Back to DJ TechTools' VCI-100 FAQReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy