Bread's Novation Twitch Performance Mapping [Traktor]

Home :: Post and find Controller Mappings :: Bread's Novation Twitch Performance Mapping [Traktor]Reply
Bread's Novation Twitch Performance Mapping [Traktor]
Posted on: 04.03.2012 by Flor Jagers
Hello everyone,

I've been working on mapping the Novation Twitch to our beloved Traktor. After purchasing the unit and being completely underwhelmed with the amount of control that the stock mapping provided, I set to work. I've been trying to implement as many features that I like into this thing while still keeping my own level of comfort and stability, and I'm pretty much all the way there. Just need to do some beta testing for a little bit and then I'll be able to release it. I'm trying to film a quick video demo, but my voice is completely shot today so I'll drink some tea and see what happens.

Here's a quick list of some of my changes so far.

***The Good***
Pad Banks
-Hot Cues bank left alone. They did this part right.
-FX bank revamped to give control over momentary effects, meant to be used in conjunction with the effects knobs at the top of the unit.
-Loop bank is now "Grat" bank. You know what this means.
-Grid bank is now "Slicer." Does not work the way the Serato mapping does Slicer. This is more of the midi fighter slicer variety. Awwww yeah.

FX Section
-FX Section now controls FX1 and FX2 in Group mode for Deck A and Deck B respectively.
-One knob for ALL dry/wet now.
-A single knob for each effect parameter.
-Toggle switches allow for 2 racks of 3 effects on each deck. 6 effects total on 3 buttons, bro.
-Echo Freezes. One short and one long for each deck. Like the midi fighter, but two!

Mixer/Decks
-FaderFX. You heard me right. I'll say it again. FaderFX.
-Hot Looping. One knob to change the value of the loop, click that knob to set the loop. Sup S4?
-Filter always on. Because seriously. Who needs a button to turn their filter on and off? Just center that knob like a boss.
-Crossfader sensitivity boosted. Because I like to believe I can crab after like 4 drinks.
-Tempo and Key knob sensitivity boosted in fear of carpal tunnel syndrome.

Minor Changes
-Shift buttons now blink with the beat.
-ALL LEDs brightened/colors changed for visibility and feedback.
-Assorted knob sensitivity adjusted for less sprained wrists and more fun.
-The .tsi has been completely cleaned up of all redundancies and professionally commented. Don't like the effects that a button selects? Widen the comments section and look for the part you don't like, then get to personalizing.

***The Bad***
-NO 4 DECK SUPPORT. I know, I know. You love using 4 decks and I'm a real douchebag for not putting it in. But hey, how's about you do it? I'm feeling lazy after making this mapping so damn awesome.
-Because there are so many effects between the FX bank, Grat bank and FaderFX, you need to be a little mindful of which effects are currently loaded. Not always a big deal, but can be offputting when you turn on Transpose Stretch at 0 when you mean to hit a Gater at 75 or something like that.
-Some knobs are not encoders, so they force a soft takeover. Hoping to find a way to fix this soon, it doesn't affect performance, it's just kind of annoying.
-No combos in Grat mode. If anyone can point me in the direction of some help in regards to programming the midi fighter's beatmasher spin-down combo I would be most grateful.

My main focus with this mapping has been to remove the focus from the computer. I want to be able to do as much as I can without looking at the screen often. Now I only need to touch my computer when I'm searching for a specific track or double-checking effect values. I've even turned the mixer portion off of my screen
I was able to give the mapping a test run last evening between myself and my friend that DJs on vinyl timecode in Traktor. He was able to jump right in and start mixing like a champ. At one point in the evening , the both of us were using the Twitch to create a massive supercombo into a big drop. It was an absolute blast.
I'm now able to create live mashups and remixes on the fly using the Slicer and FaderFX. You like to ploop? I like to ploop. Now that the loops are on a simple knob instead of using 8 pads, I've been enjoying looping down into 1/32 and crabbing that GGRRRRRR sound in with another track while changing the key using shift-tempo. Throw in some Filter92:LFO and we're getting DIRTY. The Twitch is now much more expressive for me and my style of playing. I can't wait for you all to try it out!

Thanks for reading and stay fresh,
-Bread
Neoma Picklesimer
Originally Posted by viper9711
W00t! Looks slick indeed Viper
Could you add the 'labels' u put on the Twitch, in a PDF aswell so we don't have to design them ourselves?
Sharie Delviscio
Looks very professional Viper, i have to try your mapping soon =)

Good job!
Donella Bentch
Version 3.3 is up:
http://maps.djranking s.com/mappings/297
Twitch_ Overlay 3.3.jpg
Donella Bentch
Here
Neoma Picklesimer
Viper
Kellie Myrum
@Bread
Hi Bread,you are obviously a mapping expert. So I have a question for you:
Have you any idea how to make the stripes bring to light in play Mode like Serato Itch ? I believe in basic mode of the twitch is not feasible, right?
Traktor doesn't send beat position output for any of decks but loop rec does. If touchstreap do have different MIDI# for each LED"S columns in the streap it could be done but only as loop rec beat position.

Would be awesome if NI could add this feature in some of the next versions of traktor. In basic this can be done by adding internal loop (MIDI mappable) to master clock that should provide information to beat position. Just like loop rec but without recording.
Donella Bentch
@Bread
Hi Bread,you are obviously a mapping expert. So I have a question for you:
Have you any idea how to make the stripes bring to light in play Mode like Serato Itch ? I believe in basic mode of the twitch is not feasible, right?
Donella Bentch
Viper
Hai Lutzi
Anybody gettin on the remix decks yet.. Im blown away. Its like ableton, and live put together in a way.
Lorine Krattli
have the plaster of my hand so can now dj again (albeit slowly!) so will be giving breads map a full on session this weekend. firs impressions are its rocks HARD!

props to the other maps on here but they are a bit too complicated and fiddley with all the shift operations etc.
Werner Bile
This was the first alternate mapping I tried. Talk about beginner's luck. Well done, Bread.
Lorine Krattli
haven't had time to try this as i have broken my hand and am in plaster!! comes off next week!
Neoma Picklesimer
Originally Posted by bascurtiz
One side note:
I have to use a knock-out-batch script, and GameBooster to kill all my process in the back before I can make this setup work smooth.
And then still... That's only in Shared-mode, not ASIO. Coz in ASIO-mode, nomatter which latency I pick between 256 'till 1024, the audio fucks up.
Which is weird... coz in my opinion, my computer should do the trick smooth with these specs: Intel Quad Core Q9550 2.83 Ghz, 4GB RAM, Nvidia 9800 GTX+ 512MB, running on Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate.

Any suggestions where this might go wrong?
Well, I tried out a Dual-boot installation with Windows 7 32-bit instead of 64... And Twitch+Traktor running smooth like a baby now. In ASIO-mode, 10ms of latency in total. Size in samples: 128. With Keylock on Hi-Q and Mode on Normal.

Stuff that might u help out, when u run into latency / hickup sounds etc. yourself:
http://www.djranking s.com/2011/08/1...-power-script/
http://www.djranking s.com/2011/10/0...-dual-booting/
http://blog.dubspot.com/optimize-you...ic-production/
Annabel Bennetsen
bascurtiz, I definitely will. Unfortunately "Ich habe keine Zeit" means that I have a lack of spare time to work at the mapping(( The exam session is coming up...But the mapping is usable already, so give it a chance with the big "import" button)

fdawg, It is based on the one Bread did and most of the functions he had are present, but something is changed and a few things are added. a picture or an overlay or even a video are coming up in the nearest future.
Mapping is a pretty simple thing to learn) You need some desire and time to map))
I personally started to map about a week ago So take your chance.
Lorine Krattli
Cool will try it out sl1, so is your mapping basically breads but you can change fader fx? Do you have a picture or overlay? Great work so far to all the mappers, wish I had the time/skills to understand how to map this shit
Neoma Picklesimer
Originally Posted by Sl1d3Flo
bascurtiz, you need to sort all the positions by "commentary", find comments that begin with Grat~ and look through them all) You will see that in some of them there is "Button option" section with "Set to value". That is where you want to set the right effect.
Example:
Comment - Grat pad 1 A
~
Button options
Set to value - Delay T3

I may write the rest as well))
Woot thanks

Hit me up when u got your layout ready!
Annabel Bennetsen
bascurtiz, you need to sort all the positions by "commentary", find comments that begin with Grat~ and look through them all) You will see that in some of them there is "Button option" section with "Set to value". That is where you want to set the right effect.
Example:
Comment - Grat pad 1 A
~
Button options
Set to value - Delay T3

I may write the rest as well))
Annabel Bennetsen
bascurtiz, it looks sweet) We shall deal with that a little later as I haven't decided on the final layout yet.

fdawg, changing FaderFX is SHIFT+loop set knob (the infinitive rotary knob just above the deck fader itself) WHEN FADER FX IS ACTIVE (because turning on FaderFX for now sets a default effect which resets the chosen one)
I want to import full InstantGratification or BeatMasher layout in order for Twitch to replace the MidiFighter)
They are not going to conflict unless you have something set up wrong
Lorine Krattli
Will check tomorrow dude when I have hardware set up. I like breads but just want the ability to change the fader effects and touch strip effects with shift etc. just so I mix it up a bit. Very tempted to get a midi fighter pro and wondered how these mappings might conflict with the midi fighter?
Neoma Picklesimer
Sl1d3Flo TRAKTOR mapping.tsifdawg, I have modified Bread's mapping and I'm in for some serious changes. It is far from being finished (may not work properly in some cases), but has improved functionality. Check it out. I shall explain how it works later) For now, just push some buttons and turn some knobs=) (do not forget about SHIFT+button/knob)
If you're not so into Photoshop, I can help u make a nice design on the overall legend, so the picture speaks for itself.
Check an example I made out here: http://cocacolatra.wordpress.com/201...f-preset-v4-2/
Neoma Picklesimer
bascurtiz, try to reimport the mapping into the software. Or, if it doesn't help, remap those buttons to the right FX. I can tell you how if you want me to.
Awesome bro', would u be so cool, to post a how-to right here in this thread?
Thanks
Annabel Bennetsen
Sl1d3Flo TRAKTOR mapping.tsifdawg, I have modified Bread's mapping and I'm in for some serious changes. It is far from being finished (may not work properly in some cases), but has improved functionality. Check it out. I shall explain how it works later) For now, just push some buttons and turn some knobs=) (do not forget about SHIFT+button/knob)
Lorine Krattli
Wow great work so far people, I was considering getting rid of my twitch because of the shit standard map pings for traktor. Going to try Pajero and breads mapping as I like elements of both. I believe breads is a little better overall but I like the fact pajero's allows you to change more off the effects.

Bread anyway you could integrate changing effects for fader effects and touch strips like pajero's. Will throw a Donation your way when I get paid at the end of the month.
Annabel Bennetsen
bascurtiz, try to reimport the mapping into the software. Or, if it doesn't help, remap those buttons to the right FX. I can tell you how if you want me to.
Neoma Picklesimer
Oh btw, Bread.
It seems when I'm in the GRATify-mode, and pushing 5,6,7,8, the FX-settings are automatically changed to the following:

Tho..
If I look at your latest video out there:

I see u have the following FX there:

Somehow it looks like the buttons itself, are linked to those FX-settings, but how do I get them like u have in your video?
Neoma Picklesimer
Sweet
Looking forward what u come up with Bread
Flor Jagers
Hey everyone, thanks so much for your interest in my mapping! I'll begin a major overhaul/update as soon as the new Traktor update comes out. I know that we're not going to be able to map the remix decks, but whatever. I'll do what I can! As for customization, I'm glad you guys have been able to make it work! I'm stoked that this things has grown so organically. Cheers, guys! I'll see you soon with more updates. Check out my YouTube channel, I'm working on a video about fixing the low output problem
Donella Bentch
Ver. 2.1 is up !
Whitney Fazendin
I believe everyone loves his own mapping The personal preferences are very different. Let
Donella Bentch
I believe everyone loves his own mapping The personal preferences are very different. Let
Annabel Bennetsen
Dear Bread!) Thank you for your hard work, I'll donate you soon enough
Just tell me if it is possible for you to port slicer and gratify settings from - say - VCI-400 mapping? Can you handle that? Will 20 bucks do? ^_^
I am pretty new to mappings etc, cause' I've had my Twitch for 4 days now and I just try to customize the mapping for my own style of performing. This is why I ask you)
PS. The only real disadvantage of your mapping is too much empty space (in FX mode, for instance)
Sharie Delviscio
I dont want to be arrogant, but i like my mapping the most =D

Because in Bread's mapping - slicer is unusable for me aswell as gratification. I like fader effect, but i modified it to have possibility to choose those effects, because i use flanger and other effects more than the effects Bread selected in his mapping. And i also like other futures i used in my mapping.

But without Bread's mapping, i it could not be possibe to modify it fo my needs.

Just my opinion, cheers =)
Sharie Delviscio
Originally Posted by rapidcharger
Can somebody tell me how to change the touch strip sensitivity please?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5
How to guide for you =)

Go to: settings - controller manager, in device select novation, then in assingment table click on controls, it will sort it from A to Z, find "jog scratch + tempo", it will be there 4 times, for each deck. Click on each and lower the "rotary sensitivity" for each. I have it on 65% for exmple =)

Have fun
Hai Lutzi
A little confusing.. but I do like the levels of shift + knob turn and stuff
Donella Bentch
New Update 2.0 with 8 Strip-conrolled FX-Group Presets like Ean Golden is online:

http://www.traktorbible.com/freaks/m...ew.aspx?id=423
Hai Lutzi
Can somebody tell me how to change the touch strip sensitivity please?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5
Donella Bentch
Nop- 80 gr.
Neoma Picklesimer
Create the Labels with Adobe Illustrator, use normal Copy Paper, Color Printer and a paper-adhesive Stick-that
Donella Bentch
Create the Labels with Adobe Illustrator, use normal Copy Paper, Color Printer and a paper-adhesive Stick-that
Neoma Picklesimer

<< Back to Post and find Controller MappingsReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy