Bread's Novation Twitch Performance Mapping [Traktor]

Home :: Post and find Controller Mappings :: Bread's Novation Twitch Performance Mapping [Traktor]Reply
Bread's Novation Twitch Performance Mapping [Traktor]
Posted on: 04.03.2012 by Flor Jagers
Hello everyone,

I've been working on mapping the Novation Twitch to our beloved Traktor. After purchasing the unit and being completely underwhelmed with the amount of control that the stock mapping provided, I set to work. I've been trying to implement as many features that I like into this thing while still keeping my own level of comfort and stability, and I'm pretty much all the way there. Just need to do some beta testing for a little bit and then I'll be able to release it. I'm trying to film a quick video demo, but my voice is completely shot today so I'll drink some tea and see what happens.

Here's a quick list of some of my changes so far.

***The Good***
Pad Banks
-Hot Cues bank left alone. They did this part right.
-FX bank revamped to give control over momentary effects, meant to be used in conjunction with the effects knobs at the top of the unit.
-Loop bank is now "Grat" bank. You know what this means.
-Grid bank is now "Slicer." Does not work the way the Serato mapping does Slicer. This is more of the midi fighter slicer variety. Awwww yeah.

FX Section
-FX Section now controls FX1 and FX2 in Group mode for Deck A and Deck B respectively.
-One knob for ALL dry/wet now.
-A single knob for each effect parameter.
-Toggle switches allow for 2 racks of 3 effects on each deck. 6 effects total on 3 buttons, bro.
-Echo Freezes. One short and one long for each deck. Like the midi fighter, but two!

Mixer/Decks
-FaderFX. You heard me right. I'll say it again. FaderFX.
-Hot Looping. One knob to change the value of the loop, click that knob to set the loop. Sup S4?
-Filter always on. Because seriously. Who needs a button to turn their filter on and off? Just center that knob like a boss.
-Crossfader sensitivity boosted. Because I like to believe I can crab after like 4 drinks.
-Tempo and Key knob sensitivity boosted in fear of carpal tunnel syndrome.

Minor Changes
-Shift buttons now blink with the beat.
-ALL LEDs brightened/colors changed for visibility and feedback.
-Assorted knob sensitivity adjusted for less sprained wrists and more fun.
-The .tsi has been completely cleaned up of all redundancies and professionally commented. Don't like the effects that a button selects? Widen the comments section and look for the part you don't like, then get to personalizing.

***The Bad***
-NO 4 DECK SUPPORT. I know, I know. You love using 4 decks and I'm a real douchebag for not putting it in. But hey, how's about you do it? I'm feeling lazy after making this mapping so damn awesome.
-Because there are so many effects between the FX bank, Grat bank and FaderFX, you need to be a little mindful of which effects are currently loaded. Not always a big deal, but can be offputting when you turn on Transpose Stretch at 0 when you mean to hit a Gater at 75 or something like that.
-Some knobs are not encoders, so they force a soft takeover. Hoping to find a way to fix this soon, it doesn't affect performance, it's just kind of annoying.
-No combos in Grat mode. If anyone can point me in the direction of some help in regards to programming the midi fighter's beatmasher spin-down combo I would be most grateful.

My main focus with this mapping has been to remove the focus from the computer. I want to be able to do as much as I can without looking at the screen often. Now I only need to touch my computer when I'm searching for a specific track or double-checking effect values. I've even turned the mixer portion off of my screen
I was able to give the mapping a test run last evening between myself and my friend that DJs on vinyl timecode in Traktor. He was able to jump right in and start mixing like a champ. At one point in the evening , the both of us were using the Twitch to create a massive supercombo into a big drop. It was an absolute blast.
I'm now able to create live mashups and remixes on the fly using the Slicer and FaderFX. You like to ploop? I like to ploop. Now that the loops are on a simple knob instead of using 8 pads, I've been enjoying looping down into 1/32 and crabbing that GGRRRRRR sound in with another track while changing the key using shift-tempo. Throw in some Filter92:LFO and we're getting DIRTY. The Twitch is now much more expressive for me and my style of playing. I can't wait for you all to try it out!

Thanks for reading and stay fresh,
-Bread
Arlen Idehen
Originally Posted by Stewe
It seem like you use Bread's mapping with TP 2.5? NI did some changes to FX units in last update so you need to map some additional command to all FX preset buttons in Grat mode.

Add in> Fx unit> FX STORE PRESET

Map this same command to all eight buttons.
Just wondering if someone can fix Bread's mapping for Traktor 2.6 to work with it and can send it to me? I love Bread's original mapping but he seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth.
Annabel Bennetsen
As I haven't finished the mapping yet, the overlay may change. Anyway, here's what it looks like at present.
TWITCH mapping overview.jpg
Neoma Picklesimer
Originally Posted by Sl1d3Flo
Guys, check out my new mapping (this is not the final version, but I believe it deserves your attention)
https://maps.djranking s.com/mappings/879
Sounds awesome
Could u make an instruction sheet which knob does what in a PDF-file of this mapping plz?
Neoma Picklesimer
Originally Posted by Vsganeshan
Dear Bascurtiz,

I am new to this community and tried following your approach of hand drilling DJTT Knobs for a smooth fit on my novation twitch. I have broken 2 knobs and one of the DJTT Knobs, I tried to hand drill it all the way down to the rubber but still sits high on the twitch. Can you please help?
Check out http://community .djranking s.com/showthr...l=1#post527205 for my guide .
Fawn Vanbrakle
http://uploaded.net/file/0v6lsvn8

Reuploaded his mapping for you guys, i hope its the latest one. (Should be about a year old by now)
Garth Blalark
I would love to try out Bread's mapping... Anyone would like to share it? Because I have a bad feeling about the website returning....
Spring Ruhman
Hey there Bread, just wondering what's happening with your site? I jumped on to try and download the mapping but it appears that the domain name has expired
Kellie Myrum
Hey Bread, last time I saw you was on youtube. Fishing was it?

Have a nice stay
Flor Jagers
Sorry for the disappearance, everyone. I've been away from internets for the past month or so. I'm not currently working on an updated .tsi for the new Traktor update. It's stable for me right now, so I'm just going to leave it where it's at. If anyone would like to take my .tsi and have a crack at updating it, then please be my guest. I just don't have the time to put into it all right now, as the original Twitch mapping took me 120+ hours just to get *mostly* stable :/

Sorry if I've let anyone down. If there's anything I can do to help anyone with the current version of my .tsi please let me know. I'm back and I'm alive!
Genoveva Coulman
I'm myself looking to upgrade to 2.5/2.6, but as I see the users have been having problems with Bread's mapping on the new version.I would like to know that what problems have been happening,any one?I can try to fix it,but I want to know of the problems first before updating my software cos I have regular gigs almost every weekend & don't wanna screw up my current settings !!!

Also,Bread,Where r u mate ??
Arlen Idehen
Originally Posted by Stewe
It seem like you use Bread's mapping with TP 2.5? NI did some changes to FX units in last update so you need to map some additional command to all FX preset buttons in Grat mode.

Just wondering if someone can fix Bread's mapping for Traktor 2.6 to work with it and can send it to me? I love Bread's original mapping but he seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth.
Annabel Bennetsen
You can still find me here, but I've created a dedicated thread for the mapping http://community .djranking s.com/showthr...230#post552230
Annabel Bennetsen
There's the new version with a stable SHIFT-TOGGLE mode.
Let me know what you believe!
https://maps.djranking s.com/mappings/885
Annabel Bennetsen
I'm very glad that you, guys, are interested. The only issue I have (rarely) is faders/knobs signal loss after using SHIFT (because of knob/button/fader address change after each SHIFT push), but making SHIFT button mode TOGGLE should make it work properly. Notify me about any issues you have (especially about the one above).
Do not forget to import the mapping twice in order for all the settings to be set correctly!
And ENJOY!
Hai Lutzi
Yes sounds good!!! cant wait to check it out
Shawnta Orenstein
Looks very interesting Sl1d3Flo.. Will give this a try soon

//Buffaz
Annabel Bennetsen
As I haven't finished the mapping yet, the overlay may change. Anyway, here's what it looks like at present.
TWITCH mapping overview.jpg
Neoma Picklesimer
Originally Posted by Sl1d3Flo
Guys, check out my new mapping (this is not the final version, but I believe it deserves your attention)
Sounds awesome
Could u make an instruction sheet which knob does what in a PDF-file of this mapping plz?
Annabel Bennetsen
Neoma Picklesimer
Originally Posted by Vsganeshan
Dear Bascurtiz,

I am new to this community and tried following your approach of hand drilling DJTT Knobs for a smooth fit on my novation twitch. I have broken 2 knobs and one of the DJTT Knobs, I tried to hand drill it all the way down to the rubber but still sits high on the twitch. Can you please help?
Check out http://community .djranking s.com/showthr...l=1#post527205 for my guide .
Glenn Wetterman
Dear Bascurtiz,

Hai Lutzi
Also does anyone have a problem with traktor not executing the button press while the track is stopped?

Happened at a gig and it totally messed me up.

You kind of have to press it a couple times. It won't always start on the first press. I don't know if its a traktor thing a twitch thing a mapping thing or just a setting and be user error. Thx
Hai Lutzi
So I've tried to map the remix decks. With no luck at all. Anybody know how to map these things? I'm just trying to simply launch 8 samples. Replacing one of the fx menus on the twitch using breads mappings.
Shawnta Orenstein
hi there... im new to this and just got my Twitch last week ( and enjoying it so far ) i wanted to give this mapping a try but in traktor 2.5 it is messed up.. cant get the beatmasher on the strip to work and the echo buttons somehow moved down on the pads for deck b together with some other effects... dont know if its just not optimised for 2.5 yet or if im doing something wrong (which might well be)

But i have tried to follow all the guides to import it and checked all the settings and it looks ok to me, anyone tried Breads mapping with 2.5 and got it to work?

//Buffaz
Latrice Atcherson
Ooh.. I like that plooping, been meaning to try that sheit out!

Samples, I don't use them, so mapping them intuitively is pretty hard.. I'll have a look at popular mappings on DJTT's site..
Sook Kitaoka
I'd suggest "plooping" and "sample triggers", but that's just me.

Originally Posted by quirkysilva
So here's a final draft of the mapping I'm working on..
2 modes aren't used right now.. any suggestions?
2 buttons aren't used.. I'm believeing the deck switch c/d in the future.. suggestions on the other?

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/3...tchmapping.jpg

For the FX, I selected them in columns, 1st are "stutters"ish, 2nd are additive, 3rd are filters, 4th are your transition effects (usually stop the track when using them).

If you have questions about how I'm doing something on this mapping, ask away!
Latrice Atcherson
So here's a final draft of the mapping I'm working on..
2 modes aren't used right now.. any suggestions?
2 buttons aren't used.. I'm believeing the deck switch c/d in the future.. suggestions on the other?

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/3...tchmapping.jpg

For the FX, I selected them in columns, 1st are "stutters"ish, 2nd are additive, 3rd are filters, 4th are your transition effects (usually stop the track when using them).

If you have questions about how I'm doing something on this mapping, ask away!
Sook Kitaoka
Originally Posted by shothole
Pick up Novation Twitch for 99 dollars on sale yesterday, thanks Bread for the dope mapping!!
Damn! for $99 I'd pick up another one!
Sook Kitaoka
Hey, maybe you can answer this question.

I've been working on playing samples immediately triggered when I rapidly press the trigger buttons to get more of a sampler action (to use as a point of reference Duran Duran - The Reflex (where the trigger is made at the "flex" part (of the vocals "the reflex") and the output is "fle-fle-fle-flex", however it appears that (even in one-shot mode), pressing the button once is play/pause = 1 and pressing the button again resets the track to the beginning of the sample track... this requires a second push of the button and is not optimal for playing samples in time with the beat.

My first thought was to set each button control to "Stop and then Play"... Stop on button press and play on release, but that leads to delays when releasing a little slow.

I just spoke with Tech Support for Native Instruments and they gave me some reference to Gate and Latch modes (as control modes for the F1 but I don't have an F1). Specifically, they wrote this "Check section 4.7.4 of your F1 manual. It sounds like you are talking about the trigger type function and switching between gate and latch mode."

I will do some experimenting with this, but I'm curious if anyone else had experimented with Gate and Latch modes.
Jama Niksich
Pick up Novation Twitch for 99 dollars on sale yesterday, thanks Bread for the dope mapping!!
Latrice Atcherson
^^ Exactly. For now, I have one tsi file for Deck A, one for Deck B, and one for Global stuff (FX section, Browser, X-Fader)

My mapping is not complete yet, but I can upload a picture of what's done so far..

Still uncertain about the choices of FX.. I'll have to research what people like best on the MF IG mapping.

Edit: Check post below, has a newer version..

Credit: Totally using Bread's picture .. only darn Traktor overlay image available
Kellie Myrum
Originally Posted by viper9711
I believe you have to use much more Modifiers to get the same function like basic Mode.
You need to use two modifiers to create this page mode (one per side). If you run out of modifiers create another generic device to add some more to tsi.
Donella Bentch
I believe Basic mode is more useful for Traktor because the FX Section is not paged in advanced mode! So you lost 4x12 functions to map. Also the 8 Pads have only one logical page. Some advanced features can be mapped in basic mode like Strip Led
Latrice Atcherson
Btw, you guys know that all these troubles you've mentioned on videos and descriptions regarding LEDs, knobs not working, etc.. is caused by the Twitch going into "basic mode" when plugged in?

If you press the close/open buttons and then press down the browser knob.. it puts it in "advanced mode" which is basically full midi..

I've been working on a mapping using the advanced mode, and it's fantastic! Just traded the S4 for Twitch, and boy, this is worth it.
Kellie Myrum

Lorine Krattli
Having some issues with the beatmasher effects in the instant grat section of breads map. Sometimes I have to press a button twice for it to engage the effect if that make sense.so it's hard to do rolls jamming on the buttons
Vashti Grassie
can someone help me with a problem I'm having with no sound from the headphones (cue enabled) when using breads mapping?

Thanks
Lorine Krattli
Viper any chance you can do a walk through video like bread did with his mapping?
Neoma Picklesimer
Originally Posted by viper9711
Here are the Labels to print:

Twitch 3.3 Labels.jpg

Twitch 3.3 Labels.pdf
Thanks a bunch!
I noticed my Traktor-overlay gets lifted once in a while, when I'm rocking my Twitch a lil' too much, and since I don't use Serato Itch anywayz, I'll put the labels directly on the Twitch itself. I'll upload the altered version for them labels asap.
Donella Bentch
Here are the Labels to print:

Twitch 3.3 Labels.jpg

Twitch 3.3 Labels.pdf

<< Back to Post and find Controller MappingsReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy