Bread's Novation Twitch Performance Mapping [Traktor]

Home :: Post and find Controller Mappings :: Bread's Novation Twitch Performance Mapping [Traktor]Reply
Bread's Novation Twitch Performance Mapping [Traktor]
Posted on: 04.03.2012 by Flor Jagers
Hello everyone,

I've been working on mapping the Novation Twitch to our beloved Traktor. After purchasing the unit and being completely underwhelmed with the amount of control that the stock mapping provided, I set to work. I've been trying to implement as many features that I like into this thing while still keeping my own level of comfort and stability, and I'm pretty much all the way there. Just need to do some beta testing for a little bit and then I'll be able to release it. I'm trying to film a quick video demo, but my voice is completely shot today so I'll drink some tea and see what happens.

Here's a quick list of some of my changes so far.

***The Good***
Pad Banks
-Hot Cues bank left alone. They did this part right.
-FX bank revamped to give control over momentary effects, meant to be used in conjunction with the effects knobs at the top of the unit.
-Loop bank is now "Grat" bank. You know what this means.
-Grid bank is now "Slicer." Does not work the way the Serato mapping does Slicer. This is more of the midi fighter slicer variety. Awwww yeah.

FX Section
-FX Section now controls FX1 and FX2 in Group mode for Deck A and Deck B respectively.
-One knob for ALL dry/wet now.
-A single knob for each effect parameter.
-Toggle switches allow for 2 racks of 3 effects on each deck. 6 effects total on 3 buttons, bro.
-Echo Freezes. One short and one long for each deck. Like the midi fighter, but two!

Mixer/Decks
-FaderFX. You heard me right. I'll say it again. FaderFX.
-Hot Looping. One knob to change the value of the loop, click that knob to set the loop. Sup S4?
-Filter always on. Because seriously. Who needs a button to turn their filter on and off? Just center that knob like a boss.
-Crossfader sensitivity boosted. Because I like to believe I can crab after like 4 drinks.
-Tempo and Key knob sensitivity boosted in fear of carpal tunnel syndrome.

Minor Changes
-Shift buttons now blink with the beat.
-ALL LEDs brightened/colors changed for visibility and feedback.
-Assorted knob sensitivity adjusted for less sprained wrists and more fun.
-The .tsi has been completely cleaned up of all redundancies and professionally commented. Don't like the effects that a button selects? Widen the comments section and look for the part you don't like, then get to personalizing.

***The Bad***
-NO 4 DECK SUPPORT. I know, I know. You love using 4 decks and I'm a real douchebag for not putting it in. But hey, how's about you do it? I'm feeling lazy after making this mapping so damn awesome.
-Because there are so many effects between the FX bank, Grat bank and FaderFX, you need to be a little mindful of which effects are currently loaded. Not always a big deal, but can be offputting when you turn on Transpose Stretch at 0 when you mean to hit a Gater at 75 or something like that.
-Some knobs are not encoders, so they force a soft takeover. Hoping to find a way to fix this soon, it doesn't affect performance, it's just kind of annoying.
-No combos in Grat mode. If anyone can point me in the direction of some help in regards to programming the midi fighter's beatmasher spin-down combo I would be most grateful.

My main focus with this mapping has been to remove the focus from the computer. I want to be able to do as much as I can without looking at the screen often. Now I only need to touch my computer when I'm searching for a specific track or double-checking effect values. I've even turned the mixer portion off of my screen
I was able to give the mapping a test run last evening between myself and my friend that DJs on vinyl timecode in Traktor. He was able to jump right in and start mixing like a champ. At one point in the evening , the both of us were using the Twitch to create a massive supercombo into a big drop. It was an absolute blast.
I'm now able to create live mashups and remixes on the fly using the Slicer and FaderFX. You like to ploop? I like to ploop. Now that the loops are on a simple knob instead of using 8 pads, I've been enjoying looping down into 1/32 and crabbing that GGRRRRRR sound in with another track while changing the key using shift-tempo. Throw in some Filter92:LFO and we're getting DIRTY. The Twitch is now much more expressive for me and my style of playing. I can't wait for you all to try it out!

Thanks for reading and stay fresh,
-Bread
Neoma Picklesimer
Ok here we goooo....

Overview of Bread's map configuration (printed on Post-it photo sticker-paper), white letters on black, so the view looks more integrated:

And some macro-shots on the labels:

Damage: 8 euro
Looks fucking sweet eh

Okies, next, I tried to boost the volume up, using both Master AND Booth outputs, combining them into one input:

Damage: 20 euro
And yes; it works! it's not much, but it does gives the volume the extra punch it needs

Now, I tried to replace the knobs with my DJ-TechTools ones, but so far, I'm not getting them over the shafts...

Fixed!
I used a hand-drill with a drill, size 4.5.
Drilled into the DJ-TT knobs with a tape on the drill as a marker, so I wouldnt go too far...
Now they fit perfectly!

The mapping itself, I tried, and there are some wicked features innit!
Altho, I noticed the so-called Slicer-mode in Traktor is so not the same deal as in Serato Itch. Which is a pitty
That's where I actually bought it for. And to use it in Traktor.

One side note:
I have to use a knock-out-batch script, and GameBooster to kill all my process in the back before I can make this setup work smooth.
And then still... That's only in Shared-mode, not ASIO. Coz in ASIO-mode, nomatter which latency I pick between 256 'till 1024, the audio fucks up.
Which is weird... coz in my opinion, my computer should do the trick smooth with these specs: Intel Quad Core Q9550 2.83 Ghz, 4GB RAM, Nvidia 9800 GTX+ 512MB, running on Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate.

Any suggestions where this might go wrong?
Donella Bentch
Twitch Raktor Overlay.jpg

Here
Vivienne Vickstrom
You can get a 2 into 1 audio splitter, hook up both the booth and main outputs together. Make sure booth is set to Master. Should give you a nice volume bump. I just have a small mixer for my live gigs and in my studio so volume was never an issue for me.

Bread's TSI inspired me to actually look into programming. Slowly getting there, but as is... it gives a Twitch a better performance vibe. Props out to you Bread, thanks for your time programming. n good luck to you, bascurtiz. When you get comfortable with the Twitch, its an awesome board.
Neoma Picklesimer
Just unpacked it... ready to get started!
Downloaded the drivers from the Novation site, and 1st thing that bugs me, is that I have to crank the master volume up, to max, to have it at decent volume...?
I have a Logitech Z5500 speakerset, which normally blasts your neighbours-walls out, in cooperation with my M-Audio Xponent.
I've read stuff about volume-issues, but since I only do this for fun, I thought I wouldnt have any issues with this, but boy was I wrong :/

I've read something about getting master+booth in-one cable or something so u have an extra boost?
Someone else has experience related to boosting the signal up?

Okies, time to import Bread's .TSI into Traktor 2... to be continued
Hai Lutzi
Trying out your mapping giff..
I like the 4 deck addon... So far so good.
Thanks bread and giff

Can somebody tell me how to change the touch strip sensitivity please?
Whitney Fazendin
Originally Posted by bascurtiz
Ordered Twitch 2day... becoz of this movement
ALRIGHT! This is good to see bascuritz - you'll find it's a very different experience working with the touch strips instead of jogwheels: if you're not into scratching, it's a very innovative - and most importantly, intuitive - way to control your decks for nudging and needle dropping. They work great for spinbacks, but are definitely not for scratching.

You'll also be surprised how light and compact the Twitch controller is. This is a big plus for me cos it keeps down the weight of the custom flight case I made last month (which isn't light!)

The main drawbacks for me about the Twitch were - note the past tense here - the low volume output (solved with another soundcard or one of the small powered amps recommended by Novation) and its rubbish plastic knobs. If you want to replace these - see the thread on this community about 'Novation Twitch and replacement knobs' or something like that - I can't stress enough how important it is to tease them off GENTLY... I've read that some folk used rubber gloves which helped cos the EQ knobs in particular are UBERfragile if pulled too hard. Follow the threads here and you'll learn about the issues with Twitch.

Having said all that, I'm very pleased indeed with Twitch's versatility, especially with the multi-function pads right at the front of the controller: many of its far more expensive competitors hide them away at the back of the control surface and this doesn't make sense for me. (Think I might post this bit elsewhere cos I know I'm going waaaaay off-topic here...)

Sometime soon I aim to map the touch strips in two ways: 1) quick search through the tracklist by pressing shift + scrubbing thru the right touch strip on deck B; and 2) quick search thru playlists with shift + scrubbing thru deck A. This works great on many jogwheel controllers to allow fast access to that elusive track whose name you can't quite remember I'm OK with losing Bread's shift + touchstrip effect for beatmashing cos there's a lot of scope in his mapping already for doing this with the pre-loaded FX buttons. Just my personal preference!

Respect to Bread for the mapping he's provided here: a gargantuan task. My modifications are mere personal tweaks.

Enjoy the Twitch when you get it!

Cheers

DJ Giff
Neoma Picklesimer
Ordered Twitch 2day... becoz of this movement
Hai Lutzi
U guys rock
Whitney Fazendin
Originally Posted by DJGiff
Here's my own humble offering after tweaking with Bread's mapping - please note that this is designed to be used with a Native Instruments X1 (or any other controller) which has more extensive control over effects than Twitch. I've not included the X1 mapping here, just the main file for Twitch. It works 'right out of the box' as it were, but as mentioned below, there's scope for more functionality. Any takers!?

Summary of changes made to Bread's mapping:

- Fader FX changed to flanger
- Stopped 'shift' flashing and made 'play' button flash in sync on all four decks (green on decks A & B and red on C & D to help differentiate between decks)
- 'Shift' buttons light up when pressed
- Deleted non-programmed pads in FX mode (found the array of lights too flashy)
- Added 'pan' feature to all four decks: press 'shift' and turn EQ high knob
- Layout changes to make EQ section clearer
- Disabled all top FX knobs except 4th one along: changed this to Master volume

Still working on the following:

* assigning remaining top FX knobs - any ideas??
* creating another bank of effects to go on the pads above Bread's selection on pads 1 to 3 for decks A & B
* mapping 'load' buttons so the screen goes from browser to deck view
* 'shift' + Load feature to play selected song automatically in sync with one playing from 1st cue point

Looking forward to getting this done so I can get down to playing music again! Programming on Traktor's nanoscopic mapping window is painful. Big respect to Bread for all his hard work.

Any comments welcome. Be easy, this is my first public mapping

Cheers
Giff
Version 3 now includes the following changes (all annotated in comments section in mapping window):

- Shift + Load A/B: automatically plays selected song in sync with Master (i.e. deck playing) from 1st cue point
- Changed Bread's FX2 preset to Delay+F92 LFO+Iceverb (didn't like LoFi, and turning up iceverb slowly gives a good sweep/buildup effect)
- When loading tracks in browser mode, layout switches automatically back to decks view
- Phase meter on by default
- Filters on by default
- Set default zoom (prefs > decks) of wave windows to -0.60 for better visualisation of track beats etc
- Dimmed minute markers in wave spectrum improving visualisation of tracks
- Changed 4 decks view to A/B full & C/D essential. I tend to look for tracks in the (much larger) browser window

That's about it so far. Working out of the box as with the 1st version above.

Enjoy!

Giff
Whitney Fazendin
Here's my own humble offering after tweaking with Bread's mapping - please note that this is designed to be used with a Native Instruments X1 (or any other controller) which has more extensive control over effects than Twitch. I've not included the X1 mapping here, just the main file for Twitch. It works 'right out of the box' as it were, but as mentioned below, there's scope for more functionality. Any takers!?

Summary of changes made to Bread's mapping:

- Fader FX changed to flanger
- Stopped 'shift' flashing and made 'play' button flash in sync on all four decks (green on decks A & B and red on C & D to help differentiate between decks)
- 'Shift' buttons light up when pressed
- Deleted non-programmed pads in FX mode (found the array of lights too flashy)
- Added 'pan' feature to all four decks: press 'shift' and turn EQ high knob
- Layout changes to make EQ section clearer
- Disabled all top FX knobs except 4th one along: changed this to Master volume

Still working on the following:

* assigning remaining top FX knobs - any ideas??
* creating another bank of effects to go on the pads above Bread's selection on pads 1 to 3 for decks A & B
* mapping 'load' buttons so the screen goes from browser to deck view
* 'shift' + Load feature to play selected song automatically in sync with one playing from 1st cue point

Looking forward to getting this done so I can get down to playing music again! Programming on Traktor's nanoscopic mapping window is painful. Big respect to Bread for all his hard work.

Any comments welcome. Be easy, this is my first public mapping

Cheers
Giff
Vivienne Vickstrom
Thanks Pajero, figured it all out after spending some time with it last evening . With both of these *.tsi and some free time on my hand, maybe I'll be able to learn a thing or two about programming to customize the twitch to my needs as I like some features in both. Would like to convert the Loop into a sample bank and the Beat Grid into a Instant Grat/Echo Out fade. Best way to learn is trial and error, right?
Sharie Delviscio
Hello emenl,
my bad with picture.

Here it is again. It's bad picture quality, but i hope, thata you will get it.
Labeles are also explained in my previous post.

Have fun with mapping.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...408172803.jpg/

P.S.: Touchstrip FX works like this: Hold shift button and with knob labeled FX1/Strip FX select effect - you can see which effect you selected in FX panel 3, second effect in group - then just hold shift and use touchstrip when your track is playing and voil
Vivienne Vickstrom
Whats up Pajero. Your map sounds cool, but there is no picture in the attachment. I have no idea how to turn on fader fx or how to adjust them. I noticed hitting the shift button changes things up but I don't see nothing moving on the screen if I tweak the different knobs/touch strip.

edit: My bad, didn't use the traktor overlay... was using the wrong shift button. Liking this .tsi you got going on Pajero.
Sharie Delviscio
So, here you can download my customized twitch mapping file - http://www.ulozto.net/xBnjeGg/twitch...adfreshley-tsi

It was made thanks to Bread Freshley's mapping and a lot of things are same in my mapping.
Fader FX and Touch Strip FX are implemented, you can change between those FX easily.
I did not implemented beat slicer and grat mode, because i found it useless for my mixing.

Summarization:
-you can chose fader effects and touchstrip effects easily
-tempo knobs and tree knob are ineverted (i like it this way more)
-tempo knob shift rotation is changed to 0.10 of BPM
-CUE button blinks into the beat
-dry/wet effect button is still active and affect all effects
-when you choose effect, you can turn it on on pad in "effect mode", but pads now work in hold mode (for effects 1 and 2, effects 3 and 4 work in "toggle mode", but let those turned off to fader FX and Strip FX work propperly)
-filter permanenty turned on
-effect select knob is now used for loops, if use it with shift button, you can select fader effects
-if you use new effect select button with shift, you can change touch strip effect
-forward/backward buttons now jump for 4 bars and for 1 beat with shift button
-pad buttons number 5,6 and 7 are in "FX mode" used for high/low/mid frequencies kill
-and some more, you will find out =)

Here is pic with new button labels

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...408172803.jpg/

It's not the best pic quality.
Labels are: from top, left - FX1/Strip FX select(with shift) - FX2/Strip FX select(with shift) - Fader FX on - Loop/Fader FX select(with shift)

Enjoy and feel free to ask me on some details
Thx again to Bread Freshley

Pajero
Flor Jagers
@bascurtiz Yes, it is completely working 100% now. It would be pretty simple to add that command to each button in FX mode. All you have to do is make a new command and learn the pad, no messing with modifiers needed. Maybe I'll throw that little feature in and see how I like it. Thanks for the awesome idea! This mapping is sort of organically growing into a DJTT community lovechild, hahahaha.

On a completely unrelated note, my mapping has seen 86 downloads at the time of this post and one donation of $10.

On another unrelated note, I'll have a video up soon on how to import the mapping and get your settings right. Maybe film that one today. The video after that will be on how to fix the Twitch's low output problems for 10 bucks!

Thanks for the support guys, you're the best
-Bread
Neoma Picklesimer
I'm considering to order a Novation Twitch of the internet. This way I have the right to try it out for 7 days...
Hence my question; Is this method working properly? Like... final stage? If not, I'll wait with ordering the Twitch, 'till your Mapping is.

And...
From my Point Of View, u have some empty buttons in the FX-mode, right? Is it possible to program those empty buttons with a Kill for Low/Mid/High, for Deck A on the left and for Deck B on the right? (I'm talking about the ''flashy'' buttons in that specific mode at the bottom)
Flor Jagers
Originally Posted by rapidcharger
Its working and its bomb dude thanks
Yeaaaaah! Glad you got it working!
Hai Lutzi
Its working and its bomb dude thanks
Flor Jagers
Originally Posted by rapidcharger
I noticed the other ports on the 2nd mapping had to be off.
This is right? Right?
Whoops, I should have been more specific.. Use the import button in the bottom left of the controller mapping screen in the settings menu. that should erase the other ones leaving you with just the one mapping to use and the automap thingy, whatever that does :/ From there, make sure that Deck A's squares have only the 1 on and for deck B only the 2 square should be on. Hopefully that makes everything work just fine. Let me know how it goes!
Flor Jagers
Hmmm, can you try posting a screenshot of your main traktor screen please? Also, are you making sure to use the import button in the controller manager section and import twice, making sure all the boxes are checked?

Edit to match your edit: Just the global import to make sure that Traktor gets all of the settings. It's sounding like the 1 button on the mixer isn't engaged, but it could be something else...
Hai Lutzi
Rodger that. Thats what it is...

Could it be anything else?

edit: I noticed you mentioned importing the .tsi 2x.
Is this in the global import and the controller manager?

Edit 2.. Ok I got it to work
I set the FX to #2 on each deck.. I didnt see the other pic in the gallery

I noticed the other ports on the 2nd mapping had to be off.
This is right? Right?

thanks

http://imgur.com/EcI0V
Flor Jagers
Originally Posted by Pajero
I combined my .tsi file with yours and made some little changes. I will work on it little bit more and upload it later. I changed fader effect to flanger, reworked effects for easier use for me. Lowered sensitivity of touchstrip for nudging, made CUE button blinking into the beat and some more. I could do that with the help of your .tsi =)
Awesome! I'm glad you like it and were able to customize it! I spent a LOT of time going through the mapping to make sure I could label everything as best as I could hahaha
Flor Jagers
@rapidcharger make sure your Effects Settings and Mixer look like this...

http://imgur.com/a/pZdh8

That should make those work. If not, let me know!
Hai Lutzi
Hey bread, thanks for the absolute kick ass mappings..

I dont know if others have the same issue. But my Grat dosent work, or work correctly. Like I see the fx sliders moving when you hit a pad. But I dont hear any difference. Do the FX squares turn on also when that button is pressed momentarily? Slicer works fine..
Also do the 3 FX buttons turn on and off the squares? Because it dosent seem to be working either. Unless im doing something wrong

But the funny thing is, even without that stuff working for me. The mapping is still better than the OEM mappings from Novation.

Cheers bro!
Flor Jagers
Originally Posted by bascurtiz
Could u do a new youtube video-demo with an acapella, while playing with that slicer-mode?

1:06 and on

I'll leave that one up to Ean, I don't believe I could do it any better, lol. I'm getting better though
Neoma Picklesimer
Like u said yourself in the video, the tune u used to show the slicer-mode, wasn't helping u there to show-off
Could u do a new youtube video-demo with an acapella, while playing with that slicer-mode?
Kellie Myrum
It's great to see the mapping is finally out. Don't own twitch controller to test it and say what I believe but I've downloaded it to get those beatslicer parameters and must say you are welcome for throwing my name in mash combo controls comments, that's cool.
Looking forward to see some updates to this mapping in future...
Cheers Bread!
Whitney Fazendin
Thanks for all the hard work Bread. Great job!
Whitney Fazendin
Good stuff Pajero (interesting name!) - will be interested in trying out your version. I guess a lot of people will be tweaking Bread's .tsi to suit their own workflow. Respect to Bread and to your good self
DJ Giff
Sharie Delviscio
I combined my .tsi file with yours and made some little changes. I will work on it little bit more and upload it later. I changed fader effect to flanger, reworked effects for easier use for me. Lowered sensitivity of touchstrip for nudging, made CUE button blinking into the beat and some more. I could do that with the help of your .tsi =)
Flor Jagers

Bumping with a video walkthrough

Thanks again for all the help from everyone!
Vivienne Vickstrom
Thanks dude!! Can't wait to try it out later. Happy birthday and thanks once again.
Sharie Delviscio
Yes! I am gonna try it now! So excited! Thank you. I will tell you my opinion later =)
Flor Jagers
Here it is! Thanks for your patience, everyone. Please feel free to continue to use this thread to address any issues or bugs you may have with the mapping. Thanks for your support everyone, I'll have a video walkthrough up very soon, whenver I can get some damn time off form work hahaha

www.breadfreshley.com

Cheers!
-Bread
Vivienne Vickstrom
I believe you have several people eager to play with your mapping!! I'm one of them who is anxiously awaiting for any info awaiting release. I tried to look up how to program, but its beyond my scope. Just give me knobs and faders to twiddle around with and I'm in my domain. Serato Itch is working fine for now, but the lack of effect tweakability is the only downside in my book. I know a good programmer can take the Twitch to the next level. Sorry, just excited for this.
Georgie Gratch
I'm DJing my first gig tomorrow evening and it deeply saddens me that I won't be able to use you're mapping. Please get it to us soon because this certainly won't be my last gig!
Hai Lutzi
When you droppin this TSI? cant wait
Lesley Sattizahn
...bookmark
Berna Reaka
Also really excited for this. Wish it had gain control knobs but I'll just toss them in afterwards. Really wanna try the grat FXs.
Hershel Stienecker
Originally Posted by jackbeadle
I'm checking back here daily, BreadFreshly!! Very much looking forward to your Tsi. Anyone else anticipating it as much as me?
I'm counting the days. Got a big rave coming up in NY April 7th. Would love to use Twitch with Traktor 2.The standard mapping that came with Twitch for Traktor blows and Serato Itch stinks do to the lack of FX.

<< Back to Post and find Controller MappingsReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy