|Build Log| - DIY midi gamepad controller

Home :: Reviews of DJ equipment :: |Build Log| - DIY midi gamepad controllerReply
|Build Log| - DIY midi gamepad controller
Posted on: 07.12.2010 by Jacqualine Arroyos
hello all,
(first of all, sorry for my bad english... i'm from portugal)

i've started my controller project.

will be based on:

2 gamepads
1 sound board
30 arcade buttons
2 sliders
8 knobs
1 line in
1 line out

the box is an old plumber tool box that i've found in a Lisbon flea market

since this project will have to be as low cost as possible, i've spend some time searching for the correct design (to prevent mistakes) and also good but not expensive components

at this point i've encontered the first problem...

keeping in mind that the only experience in electronics that i have is to turn on and off the power button of my pc...

said that, please be patience, and please sorry for some of my stupid questions...

so the problem are the LED...

i've managed to connect the analog potentiometer to the PCB and to a LED, it works fine...

but when i connect the button the LED light is not bright...

here you can see what is appening

what am i doing wrong?

thanking you in advanced
Wallace Ferraro
really really, really cool project. The suitcase has so much soul as stated earlier. I wish I had one aswell x), hope you figure it out.
Chasidy Heckenbach
Originally Posted by salomon102
never tried it, and id love to use glovepie, i just cant find a working script for my gamepad, on the one i found the buttons are notes, i need cc's for buttons
glovepie scripts seem quite easy to mod. this is what i put together yesterday to do what i needed for my external touchpad. the docs are pretty good too.
Suzi Darbe
Originally Posted by fbonito
and what about MIJOY?
never tried it, and id love to use glovepie, i just cant find a working script for my gamepad, on the one i found the buttons are notes, i need cc's for buttons
Jacqualine Arroyos
and what about MIJOY?
Jacqualine Arroyos
in the end it really depends of the use and purpose of your gear ...
Arcelia Siebeneck
I'm just not a fan of Glovepie... always been buggy and unstable for me. I wouldn't want to rely on it if I was playing out somewhere! Always been a last resort if I couldn't get anything else to work.
Jacqualine Arroyos
but what is the problem of glovepie?

about the higly liquid cpu, it was one off my options... compared with the gamepads, it's just too expensive if you buy outside US...

the way that my project is done, in the future i can always replace the gamepads to a MIDI cpu
Arcelia Siebeneck
personally, the idea of running glovepie in the background fills me with dread... it might do the job but it's less than ideal imo.

in the end, it's probably easier just to get a Highly Liquid CPU or hack a Korg NanoKontrol or Akai LPD8. You might pay a bit more but you get proper USB to midi and a lot less headache.
Jacqualine Arroyos
for now ive been using xpadder, to convert the buttonpresses to keyboard presses, and use rejoice to convert knobs to midi, its the only simple way ive found to use my controller without the latency problem
ei...

that really confusion, to have all of those "conversions" working at the same tame... but if it works for you great.

it's really annoying to see that there are several hdi to midi converters and all have something missing...

one does 2 gamepads but don't detect hat switch
another only allow 1 gamepad.... etc..etc

in the end, the glovpie seams to be the best option
Chasidy Heckenbach
Originally Posted by extraclassic
steffanko have you tried Glovepie?
apologies in advance for this being OT but i just wanted to say thanks for mentioning this. i've been looking for a way of using an external touchpad as an XY pad to avoid buying a nanopad and this looks like it should work

to the OP... awesome build btw... you've just convinced me to buy some arcade buttons and try some (much simpler tho) DIY project myself
Ericka Pippens
Salomon, the older xbox drivers (of course you gotta be using xbox controllers) will allow you to change the nature of the pov buttons and treat them just like any other button. I'm doing that with fergo now. All is packed 'cuz i'm moving but when I get it all unpacked I'll find my mapping and post. Maybe other game controllers might allow the same thing?...
Suzi Darbe
yep...
:-(
for now ive been using xpadder, to convert the buttonpresses to keyboard presses, and use rejoice to convert knobs to midi, its the only simple way ive found to use my controller without the latency problem
Jacqualine Arroyos
fergostick doesnt recognize pov's
yep...
:-(
Suzi Darbe
fergostick doesnt recognize pov's
Jacqualine Arroyos
Originally Posted by DjWindzOne
(O_O). . .woooooooow!

just. . . :eek: WOOOOOW!
Vernie Beharry
(O_O). . .woooooooow!

just. . . :eek: WOOOOOW!
Jacqualine Arroyos
hello you guys,

i've been digging on the connections, wiring and soldering everything up...

but i encountered one problem, as you may remember, all buttons are connected to a LED that lights when the button is pressed, the wiring scheme is the following:

this works great for most of the buttons, but when i connect the "arrows" switch things go wrong

for example, when i connect the +5 to the button LEFT i get the 10 switch pressed all the time, and like this, if i press the LEFT button i get the RIGHT switch...

as i don't have any background on electronics, most of my work is intuitive, so my gess is that the +5 voltage going "up" the positive is messing things arrow...

what can i do?
and about this questions? any thoughts?
Jacqualine Arroyos
Originally Posted by steffanko
Hey friend!
Love your project, inspired me to make one of my own.
Can you tell what software exactly did you use, cuz I've been playing around with midiyoke and rejoice and can't get both of joypads to work...
A few steps guide would be nice.
Thanks in advance!
thanks for the words.

i'm too busy working with the hardware that i didn't have time to go to the software in detail, but i'm planning to go for the fergo JoystickMIDI instead of the glovepie
Joan Kollmorgen
When I try to run that script something funny happens. By pressing buttons on joypad it generates some synth sounds, I don't even know from what.
Sounds to me that you have microsofts wavetable synth selected for midi music playback?

By the way I'm still using windows xp.
Clay Lorow
Yes I did
Joan Kollmorgen
Are you using midi channel 1? The script is set up for that channel.
Clay Lorow
I just tried that.
When I try to run that script something funny happens. By pressing buttons on joypad it generates some synth sounds, I don't even know from what.
I presume that midiyoke is installed correctly, because it works with rejoice.
Only problem I have with rejoice is that can't get both joypads to work at the same time.
Joan Kollmorgen
Originally Posted by steffanko
I haven't. Will try it toevening .
When you do copy and paste this code into Glovepie then click on run (presuming you have midi yoke installed correctly)

Code:
    //DUEL ACTION GAMEPAD TO MIDI
    //WRITTEN FOR MIDI CHAN 1 ON JOYSTICK #1
    midi.DefaultChannel=1
    //BUTTONS
    midi.C1=joystick1.Button1
    midi.D1=joystick1.Button2
    midi.E1=joystick1.Button3
    midi.F1=joystick1.Button4
    //TOP BUTTONS
    midi.G1=joystick1.Button5
    midi.A1=joystick1.Button6
    midi.B1=joystick1.Button7
    midi.C2=joystick1.Button8
    //SELECT/START BUTTONS
    midi.D2=joystick1.Button9
    midi.E2=joystick1.Button10
    //STICK BUTTONS
    midi.F2=joystick1.Button11
    midi.G2=joystick1.Button12
    //POV
    midi.A2=joystick1.Pov1Up
    midi.B2=joystick1.Pov1Down
    midi.C3=joystick1.Pov1Left
    midi.D3=joystick1.Pov1Right
    //midi.E3=joystick1.Pov1Center
    //ANALOG STICKS
    midi.Control1=(joystick1.x/261)+64
    midi.Control2=(joystick1.y/261)+64
    midi.Control3=(joystick1.z/261)+64
    midi.Control4=(joystick1.roll/261)+64
big thanks to Cheft on this one
Clay Lorow
I haven't. Will try it toevening .
Joan Kollmorgen
steffanko have you tried Glovepie?
Clay Lorow
Hey friend!
Love your project, inspired me to make one of my own.
Can you tell what software exactly did you use, cuz I've been playing around with midiyoke and rejoice and can't get both of joypads to work...
A few steps guide would be nice.
Thanks in advance!
Jacqualine Arroyos
hello you guys,

i've been digging on the connections, wiring and soldering everything up...

but i encountered one problem, as you may remember, all buttons are connected to a LED that lights when the button is pressed, the wiring scheme is the following:

this works great for most of the buttons, but when i connect the "arrows" switch things go wrong

for example, when i connect the +5 to the button LEFT i get the 10 switch pressed all the time, and like this, if i press the LEFT button i get the RIGHT switch...

as i don't have any background on electronics, most of my work is intuitive, so my gess is that the +5 voltage going "up" the positive is messing things arrow...

what can i do?
Jacqualine Arroyos
has you remember, i've changed the gamepads.

i got double gamepad, meaning that one gamepad is connected to another gamepad (9
Jacqualine Arroyos
as i said befoure,

one off my gamepads got burned...

so i got a new one, previsously i had all connected to one common ground and it worked well, but this new gamepad seams that have different grounds...

1 to 10 buttons share the same ground

but the other buttons have different ones...

11 and 12 share the same, and when we go to the arrows it's a mess...

i don't want to connect individual ground for half of the buttons...

for example, iff i test the ground of the 1 to 10 with up arrow i get down arrow, when i test the ground of the 1 to 10 with the button 12 i get the button 10... etc.
Louisa Oberc
What exactly do you mean by non-common ground? Have you tested the ground from various points using a multimeter?
Jacqualine Arroyos
hi,

is there a way to bypass a non-common ground gamepad pcb to use just a common ground?
Jacqualine Arroyos
slow down... i'm still wiring everything....
Shonda Soulier
Wow! Looks great friend! Video please!!!
Keren Danielewicz
awesome!!!
Jacqualine Arroyos
if you remember, i had the idea of using a "rotary enconder" on my controller, well not really a "rotary enconder" but a rotary pulse switch.

i din't get the hands on one yet, but i got two rotary enconders and came out with a solution

you can see the layout here,

so, as i said i have two rotary enconders each one have a switch also, i connected one rotary to one contact in the gamepad and the other one to another contact, and connect the switch on both rotary to both contacts in the game pad.

so, (for example) if i rotate one rotary i get consecutive strokes on UP arrow, and when i rotate the other rorary i get consecutive strokes to LEFT arrow, when i press any rotary i get UP/LEFT arrow

this rotarys will be used to navigate, up and down menus.

when i get the hands in the pulse rotary switches i've talked about, i will "upgrade" the existing ones
Jacqualine Arroyos
you'll never know...

my next project would be made with proper midi board, not gamepads...

you'll never know...
Quiana Sedey
Please start selling these (sans enclosure) and i will definitely buy one.
Random X
WoW!
Wava Egizi
Haha! Really cool controller! GOOD WORK!
Brock Ricapito
mad props on an incredibly well done job.

<< Back to Reviews of DJ equipment Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy