|Build Log| - DIY midi gamepad controller

Home :: Reviews of DJ equipment :: |Build Log| - DIY midi gamepad controllerReply
|Build Log| - DIY midi gamepad controller
Posted on: 07.12.2010 by Jacqualine Arroyos
hello all,
(first of all, sorry for my bad english... i'm from portugal)

i've started my controller project.

will be based on:

2 gamepads
1 sound board
30 arcade buttons
2 sliders
8 knobs
1 line in
1 line out

the box is an old plumber tool box that i've found in a Lisbon flea market

since this project will have to be as low cost as possible, i've spend some time searching for the correct design (to prevent mistakes) and also good but not expensive components

at this point i've encontered the first problem...

keeping in mind that the only experience in electronics that i have is to turn on and off the power button of my pc...

said that, please be patience, and please sorry for some of my stupid questions...

so the problem are the LED...

i've managed to connect the analog potentiometer to the PCB and to a LED, it works fine...

but when i connect the button the LED light is not bright...

here you can see what is appening

what am i doing wrong?

thanking you in advanced
Jetta Altsman
Great project, I like it a lot!

What is the value of potentiometers that u used? I bought a few of them with the resistance of 10K... Will they do the job?
Shanita Domhoff
Well, I've finished making my dj controller using 4 gamepads with 16 buttons and 2 analog sticks each. I use loopMIDI as the virtual MIDI port to use the signals from GlovePie as MIDI signals for Traktor Pro 2.

I've tried all the scripts I could find on the net, but all of them only support one joystick at a time. So, I tried changing the variables, and few buttons of the 2nd and 4th gamepad/joystick, but not all work.

So, I switched to fergo Joystick MIDI and got all 4 joysticks to work, but it supports only 12 buttons and 2 analogs each, which means I'm losing 4 buttons when the analog is turned on (the direction pad). GlovePie on the other hand, supports all the buttons and analogs, but I don't know the script for multiple joysticks.

Someone, please help me! fbonito, EanGolden you're my inspiration for this project! But Please someone help me with the script in GlovePIE for multiple gamepads to be used at the same time with MIDI outputs.
Jacqualine Arroyos
Originally Posted by Nelson Chris Simon
Hey there! Thanks a lot for your gamepad controller post, it really helped me. I have a few doubts and it'd be great if you could help me.

Firstly, does any software support 4 gamepads at the same time? Which softwares should i use to convert the signals to midi to use with Traktor Pro 2?

glovepie is all you need :-)
Jacqualine Arroyos
just a small update,

i was struggling to find a cheap and also good solution for the sound card.

initially i was trying to connect two sound cards (one just to the headphones) but i came to the conclusion that what i needed was to have a sound card with two outputs.

so i got a Behringer: U-CONTROL UCA202

behringer_uca202_u_control.jpg

and it's working perfectly, the sound card is inside the controller, and i have now two out's and one in, it works perfect for me.

i will post some performance with the SIF
Katharina Tiao
Originally Posted by fbonito
i've study some ways to do this, but the best of all is just to add one small button to the side, and manual switch...
guess i have to try it for my self... thanks!

another thing mr. fbonito can i still use my d-pad buttons when the gamepad is in analog mode? why is it that fergo does not detect my dpads when my analog is on.

my game pad (ps2 type usb controller) has: http://www.cdrking.com/apanel/module...rge/9603_1.jpg

4 -directional buttons (detected as X and Y axis) up and down same function; forward and back same function
4 -r1, r2, l1, l2 buttons
4 -x, square, tri, circle
2 -select & start buttons
2 -analog joystick buttons(center button) (detected as X, Y, Z, R)
----
16 buttons total

2 -analog sticks (is = to 4 potentiometers right?)

all in all i'm believeing that i should be able to hook up 16 buttons in total but apparently as i've mentioned earlier the x and y axis on the dpads give the same function which leaves me 2 buttons short... and when analog is on the dpads are off, does this mean that even if i attach 4 arcade buttons on those dpads only 2 of them will be useful?

(again i'm using midi yoke & FERGO joystickmidi)

is there something i'm missing here? i'm kinda new to this kind of build would gladly appreciate your help... thanks! =)
Jacqualine Arroyos
Originally Posted by britesynth
any update on this? i plan on building my own controller and i believe this is the only problem i'll be encountering...
i've study some ways to do this, but the best of all is just to add one small button to the side, and manual switch...
Katharina Tiao
hello,

does anyone know iff it's possible to bypass the analog switch of a gamepad, every time that i connect the gamepad, i have to press the analog, i would like to have it allways in analog mode.

thanks
any update on this? i plan on building my own controller and i believe this is the only problem i'll be encountering...
Ulysses Goduto
Originally Posted by mr.drumer.boy
I guess u could use read sensors I believe they are called(?) but the send a pulse so u will need to use some coding to filter it, I guess u could use something like fergo but it would be better to use glove pie.
I can't find anything about read sensors in my area... For now i will limit on buttons and pots/faders.
You know if i can use a multiplexer with a gamepad? (i believe thats how it is called, that thing that multiply analog and digital I/O's)
Ulysses Goduto
Originally Posted by MiL0
you might regret getting cheap $1 arcade buttons... I bought 16 from a Chinese company last year and they were absolutely rubbish.
I know that, but i just want to try to make a controller by myself. If it will be usable i might buy good buttons. If not i know that i don't spend a lot o money on pushbuttons that i can't use.

As for the jogwheel, do you know if i can put one on my usb gamepad board?

Thank you for your reply
Keli Vandenbergh
Good work! I shared it in fb and it must be on the homepage here at djranking s...

If you need cheap arduchinos (even mega) or so I have some to trade and Barcelona based

Jacqualine Arroyos
whell...

you need to dig in really hard at the beginning, but when you get the hand on it, is really easy

i don't know about windows 8, i use windows 7 and i works great.

about the script, you really need to search the community ... type glovepie and you will get some scripts that you can work with
Shanita Domhoff
I tried glovepie, joytokey, and few others.. I can't get glovepie to work on my Windows 8 pc.. Also, joytokey is good, but i can't assign the analog sticks to volume fader on virtual dj. Kindly guide me on how to do it. And pls post the link to latest glovepie version that is supported by Windows 8 pc.
P.S. Thanks a tonne for all you help, and for this beautiful thread, you're the one who inspired me to make my dj controller from gamepads, and that too 4 of 'em! This is gonna be epic! I want to test out the softwares before i continue with my project, and buy the rest of the parts like switches, pots, sliders, and the casing which i plan to make completely out of 3mm acrylic / polycarbonate sheet.
Thanks again, and please do help me out.
Jacqualine Arroyos
Originally Posted by Nelson Chris Simon
Hey there! Thanks a lot for your gamepad controller post, it really helped me. I have a few doubts and it'd be great if you could help me.

Firstly, does any software support 4 gamepads at the same time? Which softwares should i use to convert the signals to midi to use with Traktor Pro 2?

glovepie is all you need :-)
Shanita Domhoff

Jacqualine Arroyos
just a small update,

i was struggling to find a cheap and also good solution for the sound card.

initially i was trying to connect two sound cards (one just to the headphones) but i came to the conclusion that what i needed was to have a sound card with two outputs.

so i got a Behringer: U-CONTROL UCA202

behringer_uca202_u_control.jpg

and it's working perfectly, the sound card is inside the controller, and i have now two out's and one in, it works perfect for me.

i will post some performance with the SIF
Katharina Tiao
guess i have to try it for my self... thanks!

another thing mr. fbonito can i still use my d-pad buttons when the gamepad is in analog mode? why is it that fergo does not detect my dpads when my analog is on.

my game pad (ps2 type usb controller) has: http://www.cdrking.com/apanel/module...rge/9603_1.jpg

4 -directional buttons (detected as X and Y axis) up and down same function; forward and back same function
4 -r1, r2, l1, l2 buttons
4 -x, square, tri, circle
2 -select & start buttons
2 -analog joystick buttons(center button) (detected as X, Y, Z, R)
----
16 buttons total

2 -analog sticks (is = to 4 potentiometers right?)

all in all i'm believeing that i should be able to hook up 16 buttons in total but apparently as i've mentioned earlier the x and y axis on the dpads give the same function which leaves me 2 buttons short... and when analog is on the dpads are off, does this mean that even if i attach 4 arcade buttons on those dpads only 2 of them will be useful?

(again i'm using midi yoke & FERGO joystickmidi)

is there something i'm missing here? i'm kinda new to this kind of build would gladly appreciate your help... thanks! =)
Jacqualine Arroyos
Originally Posted by britesynth
Katharina Tiao
hello,

does anyone know iff it's possible to bypass the analog switch of a gamepad, every time that i connect the gamepad, i have to press the analog, i would like to have it allways in analog mode.

thanks
Ulysses Goduto
Originally Posted by mr.drumer.boy
I guess u could use read sensors I believe they are called(?) but the send a pulse so u will need to use some coding to filter it, I guess u could use something like fergo but it would be better to use glove pie.
I can't find anything about read sensors in my area... For now i will limit on buttons and pots/faders.
You know if i can use a multiplexer with a gamepad? (i believe thats how it is called, that thing that multiply analog and digital I/O's)
Marva Cupid
Ulysses Goduto
Originally Posted by MiL0
you might regret getting cheap $1 arcade buttons... I bought 16 from a Chinese company last year and they were absolutely rubbish.
I know that, but i just want to try to make a controller by myself. If it will be usable i might buy good buttons. If not i know that i don't spend a lot o money on pushbuttons that i can't use.

As for the jogwheel, do you know if i can put one on my usb gamepad board?

Thank you for your reply
Arcelia Siebeneck
Ulysses Goduto
Hello, i like very much what you have done and im eager to see it in live action, in a video.
Also i have a question for you, can i use a rotary encoder with a gamepad if i want a simple jogwheel? Sorry if is a silly question but i am a total noob but i really want to make my own controller Now i am waiting for my arcade buttons to arrive (i ordered them from dealextrem.com for almost 1$ each ).

I am from Romania so i'm sorry for my bad english.
Jacqualine Arroyos
nicht deutsch sprechen, denn dann werden die Menschen nicht erkennen ...
Evia Nitch
Ouwe? Ouwe kaasdraaier zou je bedoelen! Ff 'n knoepert van een mix uit de boksen wokkelen!...

Als ik niet zo ouliedom was om mn 3D te verkopen. Jij een 4D over?

Sorry all for polluting the community . Chat along. I'll leave you to it.
Random X
Originally Posted by boarderbas
Heh, nice some Dutch on this community !
Wat denk jij dan, ouwe?
Evia Nitch
Heh, nice some Dutch on this community !

I've been buying gamepads for my own controller but hopelessly failed at the software stage. I've spendt my youth primarely with my underpants wedged up my ass as I've been building robots since childhood, heck if I were still into the stuff I'd make a "DJTECHTOOLS-MIDI-board for dummies", but this HID-> MIDI stuff is driving me insane! I used every piece of software mentionned on this community and a few more, but I cant get anything to move in traktor....
Era Roka
thanks,

but i still have a problem, under the kwaliteit keuze drop down menu, i don't find the "zeer donker antraciet" ...

??
oww sorry there it's marked as 'bijna zwart polyether' and the foam is flat BTW
Chasidy Heckenbach
Originally Posted by sarasin
LOL...no one EVER knows what i am talking about when i say that chocblock.

COOL!

cool lol it's what my dad always called it when i was a kid - had no clue if it was the real name for the stuff or not... tho when i did a quick google on the name it did come back with a page of the right stuff
Ella Rick
(i've made a reply but something went wrong)

thanks, i didn't had much time lately, but will post more photos and a video soon
I'll be looking forward to it!
Marva Cupid
cool as bro i will be waiting
Jacqualine Arroyos
Originally Posted by willinfluence
Wow..how did I miss this thread!
This is an awesome build/controller.....amazing!
(i've made a reply but something went wrong)

thanks, i didn't had much time lately, but will post more photos and a video soon
Jacqualine Arroyos
Originally Posted by willinfluence

i din't had much time lately, but i will post more pictures and a video soon
Lilliana Perris
Originally Posted by zestoi
chocblock or cable connector strips, useful whenever u need to attach different wires together. in his case to that ribbon.
LOL...no one EVER knows what i am talking about when i say that chocblock.

COOL!

Ella Rick
Jacqualine Arroyos
Originally Posted by rutierut
http://www.schuimrubberbetaalbaar.nl...uimrubber.html

"Lengte", "breete" and "dikte" are the dimensions an by kwaliteit keuze you have to fill "zeer donker antraciet" in. And by the way bestelllen means order.

thanks,

but i still have a problem, under the kwaliteit keuze drop down menu, i don't find the "zeer donker antraciet" ...

??
Era Roka
http://www.schuimrubberbetaalbaar.nl...uimrubber.html

"Lengte", "breete" and "dikte" are the dimensions an by kwaliteit keuze you have to fill "zeer donker antraciet" in. And by the way bestelllen means order.
Jacqualine Arroyos
Originally Posted by rutierut
If you really need it you can buy size-cutted foam on www.schuimrubberbetaalbaar.nl, black ofcourse, but it says zeer donker antraciet on there site
thanks, but i can't find the "zeer donker antraciet", can you give-me a direct link?
Era Roka
If you really need it you can buy size-cutted foam on www.schuimrubberbetaalbaar.nl, black ofcourse, but it says zeer donker antraciet on there site
Madge Humrich
thanks a bunch =]

<< Back to Reviews of DJ equipment Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy