|Build Log| - DIY midi gamepad controller

Home :: Reviews of DJ equipment :: |Build Log| - DIY midi gamepad controllerReply
|Build Log| - DIY midi gamepad controller
Posted on: 07.12.2010 by Jacqualine Arroyos
hello all,
(first of all, sorry for my bad english... i'm from portugal)

i've started my controller project.

will be based on:

2 gamepads
1 sound board
30 arcade buttons
2 sliders
8 knobs
1 line in
1 line out

the box is an old plumber tool box that i've found in a Lisbon flea market

since this project will have to be as low cost as possible, i've spend some time searching for the correct design (to prevent mistakes) and also good but not expensive components

at this point i've encontered the first problem...

keeping in mind that the only experience in electronics that i have is to turn on and off the power button of my pc...

said that, please be patience, and please sorry for some of my stupid questions...

so the problem are the LED...

i've managed to connect the analog potentiometer to the PCB and to a LED, it works fine...

but when i connect the button the LED light is not bright...

here you can see what is appening

what am i doing wrong?

thanking you in advanced
Chasidy Heckenbach
Originally Posted by Hiro
what is the name of those clear things in the first pic? is that to neatly transport wires to different locations in the box? thanks =] i know this is a real noob Q
chocblock or cable connector strips, useful whenever u need to attach different wires together. in his case to that ribbon.
Madge Humrich
Originally Posted by fbonito
hi,

i finally found a acrylic shop, i seams that all of the acrylic shops (6) i knew are now closed...

but i finally found one open, the top will be ready next week :-D

at this point i have all of the soldering of one pad ready and tested

but i have a problem, i don't know how to connect the fades... i've tried all possible combinations and none worked...

is it possible that its burned?

do you have any idea how to connect it?

thanks
what is the name of those clear things in the first pic? is that to neatly transport wires to different locations in the box? thanks =] i know this is a real noob Q
Jacqualine Arroyos
Originally Posted by Buddha-DJ
Becouse i want more than 16 buttons...but I see that you have 30 buttons...how did you do it?
please have a look at the previous posts and you can find everything you want
Chasidy Heckenbach
Becouse i want more than 16 buttons...but I see that you have 30 buttons...how did you do it?
pretty sure he used 2 gamepads and a usb hub - from what i remember of the glovepie script. you can checkout his photos to see tho.
Corrinne Harmuth

yes but...

in a gamepad like mine there are 16 buttons and 4 analogue, so why do you want to connect the analogues a arcade button?
Jacqualine Arroyos
The point is that i want to build my own controller with a gamepad like you...

yes but...

in a gamepad like mine there are 16 buttons and 4 analogue, so why do you want to connect the analogues a arcade button?
Corrinne Harmuth
don't be sorry to be italian, heheheh i'm portuguese and proud ;-)...

well, there is not much to know, just connect the positive and the negative to the pot a there you go, the +5v should be tested in one ore another...

but what's is the point?
The point is that i want to build my own controller with a gamepad like you...
Jacqualine Arroyos
don't be sorry to be italian, heheheh i'm portuguese and proud ;-)...

well, there is not much to know, just connect the positive and the negative to the pot a there you go, the +5v should be tested in one ore another...

but what's is the point?
Corrinne Harmuth
i don't understand your question...

but yes, it's possible to convert
Sorry I'm italian
I don't understand how to convert the analog stick to arcade buttons or analog pot... there is a tutorial for that?
Jacqualine Arroyos
i don't understand your question...

but yes, it's possible to convert
Corrinne Harmuth
I don't understand how you use de "analog sticks" is possible to convert it in some arcade buttons?

thx
Jacqualine Arroyos
ol
Tona Kubas
Boas tardes, felicito-o imenso pelo seu projecto, at
Sheryll Mades
You may got to have other analogs inputs. I believe there are just 2 inputs on the controller, but nice project
Jacqualine Arroyos
Originally Posted by mr.drumer.boy
Have just been through your build log and read all of the stuff about the encoders, you mentioned pulse switches or pulse roterys, can I have a link for them please
look here http://www.djranking s.com/community /sho...lse#post243507
Marva Cupid
Have just been through your build log and read all of the stuff about the encoders, you mentioned pulse switches or pulse roterys, can I have a link for them please
Chantelle Dellosso
i had one of those "two gamepad connected with one usb" it was a evening mare... there were multiple grounds, and everything was unpractical to connect...
I hear you. But I've got them already so I'm going to use them...though I can foresee you saying: "I told you so", when I run into problems. Nice build btw; I especially liked the way you masked off the LED's so they're hidden when off.
Joan Kollmorgen
i had one of those "two gamepad connected with one usb" it was a evening mare... there were multiple grounds, and everything was unpractical to connect...
The first mod I did using a gamepad was with a double pad.

It was a evening mare for me too I ended up cutting the second one off and buying another single pad to finish the project.
Jacqualine Arroyos
Originally Posted by scyn
It seems they're hardwired and affected by the button / pot state.

According to a previous post:

You do get dual pc gamepads which are already linked together, connecting to the computer via a single USB port.
Chantelle Dellosso
Originally Posted by Nebouxii
Wow, this looks amazing...
I have two questions:
Are the LEDs programmable or hardwired?
It seems they're hardwired and affected by the button / pot state.
How do you connect multiple gamepads so you have only one cable going to your computer? (Or did you just use a hub?)
According to a previous post:
there are two gamepad pcb connected to a usb hub, there is also a usb sound card, and 3 or 4 extra usb slots for aditional exterior connections
You do get dual pc gamepads which are already linked together, connecting to the computer via a single USB port.
Marg Benowitz
Wow, this looks amazing...
I have two questions:
Are the LEDs programmable or hardwired?
How do you connect multiple gamepads so you have only one cable going to your computer? (Or did you just use a hub?)
Jacqualine Arroyos
i'm searching and searching and again searching for the foam...

last week, the keyboard of my laptop had to be replaced, when the package came, there was the foam i'm looking from in the inside, protecting the hardware...

but it's grey, i want black, and it's not the right side so i had to glue two pieces...

this is really frustrating, but i can't find this foam, i've found two or three suppliers but they only sell a minimum amount of panels of 2m x 2m... very expensive for just a small piece...

:-(
Jacqualine Arroyos
How did u get the pulse rotary thingys to work ?? That would be super cool cause I might make a control x1 copy and I need to find out how to use encoders. With a gamepad hopefully.
in my project the rotaries are not used as up and down or left and right rotary.

i planed to have "pulse rotaries" that instead of grey code they use consecutive strokes, so if you turn right you get multiple press on button X and when turned left you get button Y. this was my idea, but i didn't get one of those pulse rotaries yet...

when i buy more stuff i will include it on the shipment...

so i got two rotaries hacked to work as consecutive pulse switch the only problem is that one rotary (if you turn left or right) has multiple X pressings and the other consecutive Y pressings

both rotaries have a push switch, so i used on rotary one left direction, on rotary two up direction and on switch left+right (taking advantage of the hat-switch for extra buttons)

so i have increment rotary thing... one rotary up and another down, the idea was to cycle through menus and select them...

when i get the proper pulse switch i will update the controller.

since i didn't go through my original idea, i didn't study this possibility, but i'm pretty sure that with glovepie, you can have a script for rotary encoders... i'm really pretty sure....

another idea is to use a mouse, usually a mouse has 3 rotaries... you can have a gamepad and a mouse in your controller...
Marva Cupid
How did u get the pulse rotary thingys to work ?? That would be super cool cause I might make a control x1 copy and I need to find out how to use encoders. With a gamepad hopefully.
Wallace Ferraro
Im gonna create something simular to this as I have a very simular wooden suitcase that I recently found after seeing your thread.
Joan Kollmorgen
You will be amazed what glovepie can do

Let me know how you get on with my script.
Jacqualine Arroyos
just realised that glovepie supports microphone...

:|

midi controller with voice command support???

i have a line in for mic in my controller...
Jacqualine Arroyos
Originally Posted by extraclassic
Well done - some really nice touches to your controller.

Give my script for glovepie a try

http://www.djranking s.com/community /showthread.php?t=30640
that's great...

i've never touched glovepie so i have to figure out how it works, but your script will be a great help

thanks
Joan Kollmorgen
Well done - some really nice touches to your controller.

Give my script for glovepie a try

http://www.djranking s.com/community /showthread.php?t=30640
Arcelia Siebeneck
that's looking slick mate
Jacqualine Arroyos
Originally Posted by projectd
wow. that looks really nice! once you get all the software issues worked out and complete your mapping, make sure you post some demo videos
will do...
Kristine Baciu
wow. that looks really nice! once you get all the software issues worked out and complete your mapping, make sure you post some demo videos
Jacqualine Arroyos
the project is almost complete...

the guts...

buttons and pots wiring

the box and connections of the gamepads

the box of the gamepads closed

connections

i didn't want to have screws in to the panel, so i used magnets to keep it in place and closed

layout

usb connections and analogue/digital buttons

analogue leds

extra usb connections

not connected

when connected the logo lights, half for each gamepad, so i can see if there is any error

buttons

buttons pressed

rotary enconders converted to pulse rotarys

ldr sensor

audio line in and line out

now the next step is software, i'm having trouble with rejoice and windows 7... it seems that i need to use glovepie... does anyone have a script for two gamepads?
Chasidy Heckenbach
Originally Posted by extraclassic
zestoi are you using Glovepie on windows 7 ?
yep, glovepie on windows7 and i'm using loopMIDI for the virtual midi ports.
Joan Kollmorgen
zestoi are you using Glovepie on windows 7 ?
Chasidy Heckenbach
Originally Posted by salomon102
seems nice, but im not using a touchpad , im using a usb game controller
i know... i just meant that as an example. their docs are really easy to understand and it doesnt take much to hack a quite complicated script in glovepie.

could be you don't need the flexability glovepie gives you ofc.
Jacqualine Arroyos
i got it working maybe try googling it it worked for me but i cant remember how i did it
i've tried googlin but... but nothing..

i will give it another try toevening ...

(i've came out with a way of having multiple gamepads in rejoice, and now i can't test it...)
Marva Cupid
i got it working maybe try googling it it worked for me but i cant remember how i did it
Jacqualine Arroyos
does anyone know how to make rejoice work in windows 7?
Suzi Darbe
Originally Posted by zestoi
glovepie scripts seem quite easy to mod. this is what i put together yesterday to do what i needed for my external touchpad. the docs are pretty good too.
seems nice, but im not using a touchpad , im using a usb game controller

<< Back to Reviews of DJ equipment Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy