CDJ Companies-Wanna produce a bestseller?

Home :: Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topic :: CDJ Companies-Wanna produce a bestseller?Reply
CDJ Companies-Wanna produce a bestseller?
Posted on: 05.06.2013 by Farah Angeloni
Create a really high class CDJ, i mean UDJ Or SDJ whatever you will call it.
What i mean is create a high class player and instead of the CD player built in
sell it for an affordable price.USB and maybe SD is more than enough today and better to handle also!
Easy as that! I'm pretty sure it will be a bestseller really fast.
Really wondering why there's not one out already!
Rochel Gleese
well being a Traktor user, if they took away the USB, screen, soundcard, cd drive and made the thing one big hid controller, I'm sure that would drive the cost right down, they'll never do it though, biting into they're own CDJ2000 market.

I now they have different options for this, but they could make it they're flagship controller to run aside the cdj2000 line, even make two versions with different buttons for Traktor and serato

Serato and Traktor users would eat that shit up
Alphonso Deitchman
Just because you bring your Chinese knock-off gear to POS "clubs" that cant afford any better, that doesn't make the use of club gear lazy. What would you have these people do instead?
Kristofer Krauel
I've seen you say that before. What exactly is lazy about it? A dj with 2 usb's has still spent time preparing their tracks and sets.
Doreen Schurle
Originally Posted by DISaS73R
Not to mention that the fact that you can go to the club with just a USB stick and a pair of cans is quite lazy.
Fixed that for you.
Olin Easley
It doesn't, but when Pioneer ships their gear for free to the majority of the famous DJs, they'll end up asking for CDJs at the big clubs which will then make the other venues buy them, too, so everyone's pretty much obliged to learn how to use them. Not to mention that the fact that you can go to the club with just a USB stick and a pair of cans is quite nice.
Emelina Chillson
With controllers becoming the new standard and being produced at a cheaper rate (example being the ddj sx from Pioneer) it wont be long untill the cdj line is either phased out or just sits collecting dust due to the high cost. Why buy a pair of CDJ 2000nx's and a djm900nx when you can pick up a ddj sx for home or mobile use. The pricepoint just doesnt make sense at all.
Emelina Chillson
Ive been listening to EDM since the ripe old age of six (1992). lol. My dad was a DJ and my older brother a partykid.
Kristofer Krauel
Originally Posted by hellnegative
Ill be honest. I CAN aford them and choose not to buy them. Im happy with my 800's. All that fancy garbage is not worth the cost when I can save that money to further my son's education when he gets older and save for vacations etc. Pioneer's pricepoint on their gear is what is gonna eventually kill the company when the current edm bubble pops.
Oh I agree mate. Im more than happy with my Stantons. The point I was trying to make was that if people are buying CDJs then Pioneer will be happy with their price point.

I don't agree with your comment about the price killing off Pioneer. Pioneer were "overcharging" for CDJ's long before you American "discovered" EDM. Thats a pretty shortsighted (and American) point of view. If Americans stopped listening to dance music the world wouldnt stop spinning!!
Emelina Chillson
Originally Posted by kooper1980
A "fair" price is subjective. To someone who can afford them they are "fair". To someone who can't then the price is unfair.

And whether you work with Taiwan factories on a daily basis or not, I sincerely doubt that a CDJ 2000nxs can be made for 60 Euros.
Ill be honest. I CAN aford them and choose not to buy them. Im happy with my 800's. All that fancy garbage is not worth the cost when I can save that money to further my son's education when he gets older and save for vacations etc. Pioneer's pricepoint on their gear is what is gonna eventually kill the company when the current edm bubble pops.

The actual production cost is more around 500 for a 2000nx. You have to include the cost of manufacture, marketing, design, testing, build, warranty, and overstock.
Dannie Dimora
Originally Posted by DJBife
Who on earth believes a CDJ2000NXS is the "fair" price? Nobody.

Why?

It probably costs like 50 or 60€ to produce one (on a mass production basis). I work directly with Taiwan and Asian factories (not DJ related) on a daily basis so I know what I'm talking about
60?
That seems a little too low. I'd go for something like 150-200, but i, again, am basing this thought on nothing other than price per component of other products, so i don't know how it goes with pio
Kristofer Krauel
Originally Posted by DJBife

Why?

It probably costs like 50 or 60€ to produce one (on a mass production basis). I work directly with Taiwan and Asian factories (not DJ related) on a daily basis so I know what I'm talking about
A "fair" price is subjective. To someone who can afford them they are "fair". To someone who can't then the price is unfair.

And whether you work with Taiwan factories on a daily basis or not, I sincerely doubt that a CDJ 2000nxs can be made for 60 Euros.
Leon Albornoz

Why?

Gaynell Rydberg
There's no way it will save 400 dollars by getting rid of the CD drive. As of now, their circuit boards are already built with CD drives installed, to rebuild the entire circuit board without CD drives will cost a lot of money.

I just don't see how you're turning 30 dollars into 400 dollars. Their profit margins are probably HUGE on these CDJs. Components are insanely cheap. It's the design that costs money.

edit: Shedding 10-20 off their manufacturing cost doesn't mean they'll drop the price by 10-15% off MSRP too...
Jonathan Chiuchiolo
If you don't want to spend pioneer money but still want a quality cdj why not look at the Denon SC2900? it seems to have been forgotten about, but that's probably a good thing as they have dropped the price a couple of hundred dollars where I'm from.
Alphonso Deitchman
The "massive antiskipping shock absorbption system" surrounding the drive is simple foam costing a few cents. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the price remained exactly the same after the removal of the CD drive some time in the future.
Dannie Dimora
Originally Posted by makar1
Mass-produced CD drives will cost <$10. The "loading mechanism" and "skipping circuitry" are all parts of the drive itself. The entire cost of materials for the whole device will be <$200.

Saying that the removal of the CD drive will cut $300 off the manufacturing cost is absurd.
I didn't say MANUFACTURING cost.

I was talking MRSP. It's just a matter of logic. Shed 10-15% off the <200 manufacturing cost, also shed 10-15% off the MRSP. That comes in at $200-300.
Ok, it was a little far-fetched with 400 per unit, but still it would not be a small price cut when it comes to a 2 piece setup.
Dannie Dimora
Originally Posted by kooper1980
sounds to me like you are plucking figures out of thin air!! If you are going to throw figures around to substantiate your side of the debate please provide a breakdown and proof otherwise whats the point. We could all just come up with a figure and say its"reasonable". Don't get me wrong I'm not disagreeing with you but too many people here throw random figures around to prove a point and it just degrades the level of help and advice this community offers.
Yeah i get it, that's why i said i was shooting a price. What i'm basing it upon was some site that i can't find right now, where they made an assessment of how much a macbook pro turned out to cost by singular components, and the drive itself was $14 something. Given the new molds required to make cdjs without a cd drive, and the fact the cdj's drive has a superior, massive antiskipping shock absorbption system mounted between the drive and the casing, i'd say 25-30$ would be reasonable as a price.
Alphonso Deitchman
Mass-produced CD drives will cost <$10. The "loading mechanism" and "skipping circuitry" are all parts of the drive itself. The entire cost of materials for the whole device will be <$200.

Saying that the removal of the CD drive will cut $300 off the manufacturing cost is absurd.
Kristofer Krauel
Originally Posted by Polygon
Removing the CD drive would shed around 30$ (just shooting a price here, probably reasonable) including the fact that less plastic is required for the cdj, no loading mechanism (separate from the cd drive itself), no circuitry responsible for redundancy in case of cd skipping etc etc.
This is NOT pocket money when it comes to sheer component price, it could easily shed off 3-400$ off tehe whole price of the unit, which multiplied x2 is 800, and $800 is, i repeat, NOT pocket money. At least for the majority of djs out there.
sounds to me like you are plucking figures out of thin air!! If you are going to throw figures around to substantiate your side of the debate please provide a breakdown and proof otherwise whats the point. We could all just come up with a figure and say its"reasonable". Don't get me wrong I'm not disagreeing with you but too many people here throw random figures around to prove a point and it just degrades the level of help and advice this community offers.
Dannie Dimora
Adding a CD drive is a very minimal expense so there isn't much incentive to remove it as a potentially usable feature. There are plenty of media players out there already at several price points from a variety of companies.

What are you asking them to do? Give you more features at a lower price?
Removing the CD drive would shed around 30$ (just shooting a price here, probably reasonable) including the fact that less plastic is required for the cdj, no loading mechanism (separate from the cd drive itself), no circuitry responsible for redundancy in case of cd skipping etc etc.
This is NOT pocket money when it comes to sheer component price, it could easily shed off 3-400$ off tehe whole price of the unit, which multiplied x2 is 800, and $800 is, i repeat, NOT pocket money. At least for the majority of djs out there.
Alphonso Deitchman
Have you had a look at models above the 350? E.g. the CDJ 850 or SC2900?
Farah Angeloni
Adding a CD drive is a very minimal expense so there isn't much incentive to remove it as a potentially usable feature. There are plenty of media players out there already at several price points from a variety of companies.

To me,most of the players,not all of them,but most of them feel like bad quality.
Maybe i haven't tried all of them and there are some giving you the feeling,okay that's worth it
but like i said,for instance a 350 to me.It feels like a box of plastic shit for almost 600 Euros.
I really really don't want more features.Most of them even have too much.
I would like a player that feels good for the money!
Alphonso Deitchman

Farah Angeloni
Honestly,when i started this thread i was just really believeing:
man,forget about the cd player,nobody needs that and so on....
So now there was a lot response.
And i have to say i'm not hating on Pioneer or any company.
Everybody can buy and use what he wants but as a little conclusion of the thread i would say.
It feels like some people still waiting for something.Even if today you have more choices than ever.
So it has to be a single player.All in one working.Midi HID compatible.
Good quality(not high class) but okay for an affordable price.
Not cheap but not overpriced at the same time.
Okay,let's see which Company's first!?
Cheers
Maze
Gaynell Rydberg
I wasn't talking about the LED ring. I meant the time bar indicator.

That said, I wouldn't be using CDJs if I'm gonna be using midi anyways.
Emelina Chillson
The stantons ring does not work in midi mode. you can make the whole believe light up, but that is all.
Kristofer Krauel
Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50
The RMP has a red progress bar like the XDJ-R1.

Much like the Stanton CMP800. Kinda why I wanted the CDJ700 from Gemini, but it seems like it's not too great based on your experiences.
The Stanton only has the red LED ring if you are mixing from USB or CD. Doesnt work in Midi mode (or at least I havent figured out how yet).
Teresia Janusch
you would save the guts of
Gaynell Rydberg
Originally Posted by hellnegative
Ive never used the rmp's. On a cdj, I must have a light or something stating the needle point on the track.
The RMP has a red progress bar like the XDJ-R1.

Much like the Stanton CMP800. Kinda why I wanted the CDJ700 from Gemini, but it seems like it's not too great based on your experiences.
Emelina Chillson
Ive never used the rmp's. On a cdj, I must have a light or something stating the needle point on the track.
Doreen Schurle
Originally Posted by padi_04
@makar1 and mdcdesign please spare the rest of the community s from your personal differences. We've been through it already.
+1
Nedra Fresneda
@makar1 and mdcdesign please spare the rest of the community s from your personal differences. We've been through it already.
Gaynell Rydberg
I don't believe he has a vendetta against Pioneer. It's pretty much accepted that the Pioneers are overpriced, but there's nothing else in the price range that can really compete with it except for the Denon SC2900.

Underneath the 900 though I believe the Stanton and Reloop compare quite well...
Alphonso Deitchman
Pointing out a few facts hardly seems like a vendetta. People around here seem far more tired of your constant bias towards Reloop, which is almost always accompanied with a vendetta against Pioneer.
Doreen Schurle
Originally Posted by Polygon
Here we go again...
Yep, his vendetta is getting a bit tired now tbh.
Gaynell Rydberg
Wait wtf... CDJ2000 is discontinued???

And Technics still fetch a pretty high price tag if you're getting a new one or a Hi Fi one. Frequently go for 400-500 over on Audio Karma.
Alphonso Deitchman
Which would you consider high end? The CDJ 2000 is only a few years old and is now discontinued, whereas the Technics 1200 Mk2 has been around since 1979.
Dannie Dimora
They overcharge because there's no competition for the products they make. Technics turntables would cost much more if the market wasn't so saturated.
The question still remains: Why isn't the market saturated with high-end cd players, too?
Alphonso Deitchman
They overcharge because there's no competition for the products they make. Technics turntables would cost much more if the market wasn't so saturated.
Dannie Dimora
Originally Posted by djproben
Yes then it would only be overpriced by about $300.

Seriously CDJ markups are insane. The plastic and the parts can't cost more than $150 total (and that's being very generous). Obviously there's a lot of other expenses but still I believe most comparable mass produced electronics for other markets would hover around the $300-$400 USD range. (And again that's being generous). There's no way a CD player is more complicated or expensive to produce than a laptop, yet I can get a top of the line Macbook Air for less than a CDJ-2000. I can probably get 10 netbooks for that price! That's one of the reasons I haven't bothered to upgrade my one CDJ-1000 mk1, a floor model from Guitar Center that I bought for $600 back in 2002 or 2003 I believe, and even then I thought it was overpriced ($200 more than the 1200s I bought a few years earlier!) Even today you can get a brand new Technics 1200 m5g - which is notoriously overpriced due to Panasonic shutting the door on them a few years ago - for less than a used CDJ-2000.
Sure. But you can't expect a software house, that doesn't focus its r&d only on hardware, to keep prices relatively down. Still, much better than pioneer, who ONLY do hardware, and still overcharge the hell out of their products.
I wonder why the ddj-sx didn't retail at $1700 in all honesty..

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy