MIDI Fighter Spectra

MIDI Fighter Spectra
Posted on: 14.01.2013 by Pearly Revely
At least now we know the name. Commence gearlust.

Courtesy of Prefuse 73 on IG.

MOD EDIT:

Originally Posted by midifidler
Hey just a note for all you you who have brought a Spectra.

Today I noticed a small software bug which affects some (~20%)units, the symptom is that when upgrading the firmware instead of going into boot-loader mode the device just resets.

I have released a firmware update which fixes this on all units, once you update your Spectra with this code the firmware update will work without any issue.

To do this ...

Connect your Spectra, start the utility, click update firmware, when you see the Spectra display its start up pattern pull out the USB, hold the four corner arcade buttons and connect the USB again. The device should now show the blue boot-loader pattern and the utility will continue the update process.
Latoria Kavulich
Mine is in Auckland finally should be here in the mornin. Boom
Awilda Boggie
@32Digits

You need to use the Utility software to change to the remix deck firmware, the user manual is coming soon
Great god, I didn't even look at the top bar :P h
Adolf Hit
@32Digits

You need to use the Utility software to change to the remix deck firmware, the user manual is coming soon
Random X
Well, it has been in the "Currently underway to the destination" status since 9:53AM. Which is roughly eleven hours ago.

Wondering how much I will have to pay for customs clearance.
Awilda Boggie
Originally Posted by Wafelstroop
yours arrive yet? sadly mine will take at least another day
yeah and it is great,

It's worth every single penny (or in my case euro/usd) - I LOVE IT.

I was even doubting 3-4days ago that I could get something else with the money but i'm in love idc anymore
I may post a picture soon it's white case + black top + blue knobs (match the blue cable) it's amazing

EDIT: I wonder tho how to use it with remix decks :P I mean I opened traktor added generic midi but do I have to do something else? or is it wrong
Kandy Kuenn
Originally Posted by 32Digits
Wow I have exactly the same stats

est= 18:00 (today)
it's now on the vehicle but at 12:00 it was in the fedex facility; ALSO 20min from my house $

PS do you know how much you' will pay for customs? ;o
yours arrive yet? sadly mine will take at least another day
Candy Vardy
Damn all you guys with your Spectra's on the way! I want mine!
Era Roka
curious too
Kandy Kuenn
i havent really considered that yet to be honest
Awilda Boggie
est time of arrival is today 18.00 but in the status it says available for clearance. (so i called them and was told that they need a proof of payment) the physical package is less than a 20 min drive away though lol
Wow I have exactly the same stats

est= 18:00 (today)
it's now on the vehicle but at 12:00 it was in the fedex facility; ALSO 20min from my house $

PS do you know how much you' will pay for customs? ;o
Kandy Kuenn
est time of arrival is today 18.00 but in the status it says available for clearance. (so i called them and was told that they need a proof of payment) the physical package is less than a 20 min drive away though lol
Awilda Boggie
damn fedex needs a proof of payment. probably going to take another day before it arrives now
what does it say on the website ? estimated time of arrival?
Kandy Kuenn
damn fedex needs a proof of payment. probably going to take another day before it arrives now
Latoria Kavulich
click on the little "?" it tells you that its on its way to its destination .... in a beat up post van to yet another depot in the same city
Random X
Yeah, that's the same location I'm stuck with as well.
Kellie Myrum
Originally Posted by Jester
i haven't seen them, thanks to the super efficient usps

'time goes by, so slowly'
An Boldosser
thats why i was asking, mine are dimly lit, like they are just itching to light up, but im not sure how to make that happen :/ i don't use traktor, but someone had said something about it maybe lighting up due to midi clock like the classic mod. haven't read anything confirmed
Kellie Myrum
Hopefully documentation will cover MIDI for this if they are mappable and if that's not a part of fancy firmware trick
Awilda Boggie
Originally Posted by Jester
yep, haven't seen them in action yet. actually they may be on the circuit board but again, i haven't seen them, thanks to the super efficient usps
Oo that's nice !!

I wonder tho why they added them there, does it give somekind of glow beneath it or something?

Estimated time of arrival: 18:00 - it's 2:54 now pff can't sleep :/
Latoria Kavulich
yep, haven't seen them in action yet. actually they may be on the circuit board but again, i haven't seen them, thanks to the super efficient usps
Kellie Myrum
So there are some LED's installed in bottom of Spectra?
Awilda Boggie
Originally Posted by secretseven
anyone got the bottom LEDs to function yet? just curious
what do you mean the bottom leds don't work?
An Boldosser
anyone got the bottom LEDs to function yet? just curious
Deanne Baston
Originally Posted by Dustin V
Ok thanks will do, but which one is that exactly? I'm looking here, but the are plenty, lol..
In terms of the DeckGrat mapping just search for "spectra". You'll find the MFS DeckGrat mapping by FlashFlooder and that's the one! You could also check out the MFC InstantGratification mapping for a more in-depth look at the effects being used in the MFS DeckGrat Mapping. Essentially what you are getting (with the DeckGrat mapping)is the birthchild of the original deckalized (MFC) mapping and the InstantGrat (MFC) mappings! An excellent mapping job was done by flashflooder and props to him!
Originally Posted by jdownesbaird
Thanks for the info. I actually didn't realize that Flashflooder was affiliated with DJTT. I'm very happy with the mapping and the Spectra. This is my first Midi Fighter, so I guess I'm just excited to use this thing to its fullest, but I don't yet have the expertise to map it myself. I'm dependent on you guys for now! I love this community and company, so I can be patient until people smarter than me start getting creative!
I'm slowly working up my plans for a nifty mapping that I hope to share with the community! I totaly get what your saying though about your first MF. When I got mine I couldn't put it down! Then two or three weeks later I ordered another! Lol
Sorry I missed the comments regarding the lack of official mappings for the Spectra

We have several new official mappings built specifically for the Spectra in the pipe line, a new Flash Flooder mapping, a very innovative FX mapping from BeauBryte, and Mad Zach is working on a super powerful Ableton mapping.

These should come out over the next few weeks!
Can't wait to try out the new mappings as they come out!
Nedra Fresneda
Awesome news buddy! Do you have any mappings for a full individual deck focus for the Spectra in the pipe line? That would be awesome.
If he ain't I probably will.
Candy Vardy
Sorry I missed the comments regarding the lack of official mappings for the Spectra

We have several new official mappings built specifically for the Spectra in the pipe line, a new Flash Flooder mapping, a very innovative FX mapping from BeauBryte, and Mad Zach is working on a super powerful Ableton mapping.

Awesome news buddy! Do you have any mappings for a full individual deck focus for the Spectra in the pipe line? That would be awesome.
Awilda Boggie
Awesome! Badass team.
indeed badass !
Delena Katherman
Awesome! Badass team.
Adolf Hit

Delena Katherman
Originally Posted by hawaiibboy

arcade16 and jdownesbaird: the mapping uploaded by flashflooder (aka: Chris Lim, Operations Manager at DJTT and Ean's mapping wizard) was up and out two days after products were shipping. I believe the concept that this is some crazy new product was a misconception amongst many (myself included until I did further research). The spectra is purely the classic version two. You could use any of the Non 4 banks mode mappings and been fine, then added simple things to the side buttons even.
Thanks for the info. I actually didn't realize that Flashflooder was affiliated with DJTT. I'm very happy with the mapping and the Spectra. This is my first Midi Fighter, so I guess I'm just excited to use this thing to its fullest, but I don't yet have the expertise to map it myself. I'm dependent on you guys for now! I love this community and company, so I can be patient until people smarter than me start getting creative!
Candy Vardy
Originally Posted by hawaiibboy
Try out the DeckGrat mapping and just set one to deck a and one to b! Seems to work for me pretty well!
Ok thanks will do, but which one is that exactly? I'm looking here, but the are plenty, lol..
Deanne Baston
Originally Posted by Buffaz
Thanks i will give that a try.. might be what im looking for, i have just been watching that youtube video of Ean Golden explaining the mapping and when he gets an effect that he really likes he presses the bank button that he is in and it holds that effect combo till he presses it again

Edit: This video and explained at 4.40

//Buffaz
Totally loved that ability. The InstantGratification mapping was awesome! It works similarly to the MFS DeckGrat Mapping.

Originally Posted by arcade16
So I just got my Spectra (#109 , Matte Black top with Black case) , and I couldn't help but notice, there are no spectra mappings on the site...

No setup guide either...

I'm no stranger to midi controllers (or Midifighters, had a classic) but are we just expected to make our own mappings? How do we, for example, setup the spectra to work with remix decks?

Surprised DJTT doesn't have a video up or even a text guide...
I have to say, I totally agree with you. I love my Spectra (and the one map for it works quite well) but it seems like DJTT missed a great opportunity. It's an exciting new product, and it should have launched with a new mapping that was specifically designed for the product (rather than an update of an old mapping from a user). I trust the community will be providing some badass mappings before too long, but why wouldn't they commission one of these mapping gurus to make an official DJTT Spectra map for the actual launch? Most of the awesome 3D mappings use the motion controls or 4 bank buttons, so they are not ideal for the Spectra. Most of the awesome Midi Fighter classic mappings use arcade buttons for bank switching, and don't take advantage of the Spectra's 6 extra buttons. I would love for the actual designers of the product to provide a mapping that is specifically optimized to talk advantage of its features.
arcade16 and jdownesbaird: the mapping uploaded by flashflooder (aka: Chris Lim, Operations Manager at DJTT and Ean's mapping wizard) was up and out two days after products were shipping. I believe the concept that this is some crazy new product was a misconception amongst many (myself included until I did further research). The spectra is purely the classic version two. You could use any of the Non 4 banks mode mappings and been fine, then added simple things to the side buttons even. The remix decks control is based upon HID integration ( or should I say spoofing). To do this re-flash your MFS (just like they explain in the 3D instructions) with the remix firmware and you'll be good to go! Hope this helps!

Does anyone have, or maybe can recommend a good deckalized A + B mapping for the MFS?

I was looking for one on DJTT, but couldn't find anything. I'll be buying 2 MFS to control decks A & B respectively. The only one i had found was one for controlling and triggering effects. I would make a mapping myself, but I'm not the brightest when it comes to mappings TBH.
Try out the DeckGrat mapping and just set one to deck a and one to b! Seems to work for me pretty well!
Kellie Myrum
Adding more effects should require one more FX Unit in Traktor if you wish to use them all in combination and without the fact that some of effects must share the same slots. I'd rather go for modifier increment mode for one of side buttons to load different effect presets for 4x3 button layout.
Gay Danuser
I'll probably give a custom mapping a go, can't be that difficult.

Will probably start with a Instant grat mapping as the base and then assign more effects to the top row, as well as maybe a pitch bend to the side buttons.
Kellie Myrum
Maybe 4 deck selector using modifier to replicate focus selector and not to use actual deck focus? That way you can load this mapping for both of Spectras and have control over any of decks at both controllers.
Candy Vardy
You can use Classic mappings with the Spectra unless they are designed for the Classic in four banks internal mode.
Thanks for replying midifidler. Will you & DJTT be making a deck focus A B mapping for the Spectra anytime soon? I'm planning to get 2 off them to control each deck. It would make a killer combo IMO.
Adolf Hit
You can use Classic mappings with the Spectra unless they are designed for the Classic in four banks internal mode.
Delena Katherman
I'm not sure if it will work without modifications, but even if it does you will be wasting your top row of arcade buttons. The Spectra has the 6 extra side buttons for deck/bank changes (or whatever you want), while the Classic mappings often use the top row of arcade buttons for deck assignment.
Candy Vardy
Ok so I could essentially download a MFC mapping and in theory it should work fine with the Spectra? Wouldn't it need any modifications to be done?
Delena Katherman
This is exactly what the current Spectra mapping by Flashflooder does, and it works well.

<< Back to MIDIfighter Resources and DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy