[windows] My S4 Diary: Prepping for and setting up my S4

Home :: NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talk :: [windows] My S4 Diary: Prepping for and setting up my S4Reply
[windows] My S4 Diary: Prepping for and setting up my S4
Posted on: 15.01.2011 by Len Lukawski
I thought I would share my experiences as a new
Random X
Done!
Random X
Even believeing of makinf this sticky for windows users.
Emanuel Kepics
Nice of you to share that info in such detail. Thanks. Useful setup regardless what you're running.

While this might be slightly off topic, I can't help notice the cyclic spiking/cpu loading in all the screenshots. Do you/anyone have any idea what it's about? I did battle with same symptom on an AK1 and could not fix it. Considering the software is idle, that kind of CPU loading is extreme. What's causing it?
Len Lukawski
Yes, when you go through the Windows install it provides you with an option to partition off your disk. To do that you delete all the existing partitions (all the data is erased to make sure you have everything backed up first) and then create your 2 partitions. Windows will also add a couple of very small system partitions but you can ignore them. You then select a partition to install your first copy Windows 7. Once you have gone through that installation you start again only you leave the partitions alone. You select the unused partition to install your 2nd copy of Windows on and go through the install again.

When Windows boots up after the 2 partitions are installed it will recognize that there are two Windows systems and will provide you with a choice as to which one you want to go into. As first it can be tough to tell which partition is which as they have the same name. You can rename each instance of Windows quite easily.

Boot into one of the instances, say the one you plan to set up for the S4. Go to the Accessories menu and right click on Command Line and select
Lang Abriel
So you can boot either into your s4 partition or your regular windows 7 partition?

I like that idea if that is the case. May need to get a larger hard drive for that though.
Janyce Henningson
Yep good post fella - shows ya don't need a really powerful pc if you know what you're doing - should be stickied
nayit ruiz jaramillo
I added some Tags and 5star rated it.
Over to you guys.
Matthew Yanagisawa
posts like this deserve some sort of prop/thumbsup/star system. They are very helpful!
Charline Dye
I'm with Karlos
EPIC POST
Very thorough! Good work!
Hailey Westen
great post, have bookmarked for a proper read later. thanks
Len Lukawski
Thanks for all the positive feedback. I will keep sharing what I learn. Some of it will be good, some of it will be bloody awful. Let me know if there is anything you wanna see on the Windows side - it's probably where I can help the most.

Cheers,
SmiTTTen
Leeanna Ayla
Very nice and thorough. Bookmarking for reference.
Ginny Fergson
Excellent thank you, not going to SEDA now, this will be my days work!
nayit ruiz jaramillo
EPIC POST
Huge Props. The kind of approach you can only admire.
Jordon Atterholt
Very useful and informative post man,keep it up.
Will have this thread in mind when setting up my lappy for the S4 arrival.

Would be very nice if you share that wallpaper..it's awesome.
Danae Dumler
Outstanding post! And I'm a mac user!
Carlee Pickard
I really like your posts Smitten, keep em up .
Julissa Serrone
props on this post!!!!!!!
Nedra Fresneda
actually it's digital jockey, cause we ride media files :B

nice work documenting all the process for pc people, reminds me when I was still using a BCD3000 and Traktor 3 (dual boot, stripped down xp consuming around 70mb of ram when idle).

<< Back to NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talkReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy