[windows] My S4 Diary: Prepping for and setting up my S4

Home :: NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talk :: [windows] My S4 Diary: Prepping for and setting up my S4Reply
[windows] My S4 Diary: Prepping for and setting up my S4
Posted on: 15.01.2011 by Len Lukawski
I thought I would share my experiences as a new
Season Bergere
Originally Posted by hayden14
If you follow all the steps in this community your audio issues will stop. NI provides some help in their support and i advise you follow those steps also. I originally was like most of you guys where i complained and complained just wanting a quick fix but nothing came. Finally i followed every step people had been talking about and BAM my S4 ran perfectly. It seems disabling your battery and wireless actually in your device list is the main fix but doing cleanups and little other steps does not hurt. Please make sure your comp is up to standards and do every single step presented and your S4 should finally run the way you want it to!
That is simply not true for every user (myself included).

Have tried all the steps in this community and other community s on both Windows Vista Business and Windows 7 Home Premium - and still am getting audio glitches.

I've been hunting for a solution for a long time and spent many hours doing so.

I will post my solution IF I find it
Deeann Cheron
Originally Posted by ThinkAboutIt
A noob question? Which cable should I use to plug my studio monitor? xlr to rca?
a friendly piece of advice is to have a good read around the community s and all the information you want and didn't know you want is found along the way
Genia Dickhut
please fix the photo's friend
Season Bergere
My solution was to buy a new laptop with an i7 CPU, clearly my older laptop's CPU is too slow for Traktor S4.
Olene Minyard
Excellent guide! I now have a Windows 8 day to day partition and a Windows 7 Traktor dedicated partition. As a possible tip for others, I've also consciously limited the free space on the Traktor partition to 100GB. This will force me not to keep piling up the wav and mp3 files on there and refresh my music periodically rather than have racks of crappy old stuff.

I'm using a Western Digital Black 7200rpm 500GB hard drive and its about as good as it gets for mechanical drives, though have been considering switching out for a similar sized SSD or the expanded Momentus hybrid drives.
Len Lukawski
I'm working with sovvy on this one and it's proving to be less than straightforward!
Season Bergere
Originally Posted by hayden14
If you follow all the steps in this community your audio issues will stop. NI provides some help in their support and i advise you follow those steps also. I originally was like most of you guys where i complained and complained just wanting a quick fix but nothing came. Finally i followed every step people had been talking about and BAM my S4 ran perfectly. It seems disabling your battery and wireless actually in your device list is the main fix but doing cleanups and little other steps does not hurt. Please make sure your comp is up to standards and do every single step presented and your S4 should finally run the way you want it to!
That is simply not true for every user (myself included).

Have tried all the steps in this community and other community s on both Windows Vista Business and Windows 7 Home Premium - and still am getting audio glitches.

I've been hunting for a solution for a long time and spent many hours doing so.

I will post my solution IF I find it
Len Lukawski
Good Morning,

Sorry it's taken so long to get to this. I never actually spent a whole lot of time looking to the load meter output. That was mainly because it had no effect on the performance in Traktor. For instance, even when it was showing in the red in Traktor the actual CPU usage in Windows was minimal. Since writing the original post I moved onto an uprated machine but I just recently moved back to my original laptop (dual core amd with 4GB etc). This time the CPU load meter was continually redlining and Traktor has become unusable. At first I blamed 2.5 as I loaded the up the original Kontrol S4 version of Traktor and all "seemed" to be well. I went away did, something, came back to the machine and suddenly the old S4 version was redlining too. I went back through what few settings I had leftand then gave the machine a reboot. When the machine came back up I noticed that even though I had the wireless switched off (using the physical switch on the machine) it was still initially loading up. I went into the Services dialog and disabled my WLAN services and rebooted. I did all this late last evening so while I haven't fully tested everything yet, I can tell you that load meter dropped right back down. I will let you know as and when I do....

Other than that, it seems that there is something polling on your machine. Generally, processes poll when they need to check if something has happened. I am not sure what would be polling every 10 seconds. Do you have anything net related running? an e-mail client? chat client? Skype? It doesn't have to be net related but it's a good place to start.... Also, have you tried turning ALL lan services (wired and wireless) just to see?
Cole Maroto
hi smittten,

first of all, thank you for taking the time to create this post to help all of us out. second, i wanted to see if you ever figured out why your cpu was spiking at consistent intervals when the s4 was plugged in.

i am having the same issue with my audio 8 causing cpu spikes to 25% (and latency spikes in traktor around 400) every 10 seconds, almost like clockwork. it only happens when the audio 8 is plugged in and traktor is open (even idle). all other times my cpu is 0-1% even with traktor open. i wouldnt really mind the spikes, however they seem to sometimes cause feint popping sounds (especially in kick drums) when they occur.

i have an hp dv6, i5, 8 gigs of ram and win 7 64bit (home premium i believe). the laptop is brand new and i only use it for traktor. i have the latest tsp 2.5 and latest audio 8 driver (3.0.0.625) which i uninstalled/reinstalled. i have done most of the things you recommend here but i may try killing the battery though, that seems to be one step i didnt do. i'm going to give it another shot toevening and see what i can find out. just curious if you ever got those spikes to stop.

thanks again!
Camelia Slivinsky
Nvm works fine on xp
Camelia Slivinsky
If vista isn't working what would happen if I downgrade to xp or upgrade to 7 will it work better, cause right now hen I run traktor with nothing else running and now s2 connect my CPU goes ffrom 3% to 96% no sound crd except for my computer one, please help?
Aimee Secher
+1 awesome write up!
Indira Schamp
Please check out my new sets who I did in s4 ...

http://soundcloud.com/matheusslivak
Sherryl Nonato
Im having trouble with my S4 an the new Dell which sucks will take this approach if the setting I have used in my thread doesn't work
Josefina Schutten
use balanced exit with two jack-jack cable like this http://www.musiclabstore.it/dettagli...7231157&idp=46 one to your soundcard output 1 and one to your monitor left or right (you can choose it in the preferences) and another one to output 2 to your other monitor
Deeann Cheron
from the Interweb

Multiple Input Options
The rear panel features balanced XLR and TRS inputs, as well as an unbalanced RCA input, allowing you to connect the monitor to virtually any sound system.
Georgianna Eurick
I'm using S4's internal soundcard and the monitors are rokit5
Josefina Schutten
maybe tell us what soundcard are you using and what monitor are you using
Georgianna Eurick
Can you help me just this one ? I was searching but couldn't find the solution. Maybe kind enough the share the link?
Deeann Cheron
Originally Posted by ThinkAboutIt
A noob question? Which cable should I use to plug my studio monitor? xlr to rca?
a friendly piece of advice is to have a good read around the community s and all the information you want and didn't know you want is found along the way
Josefina Schutten
you have to connect your soundcard to your monitor...it depends you could use a jack or 2 rca!
Georgianna Eurick
Josefina Schutten
Originally Posted by smittten
Thanks for all the positive feedback. I will keep sharing what I learn. Some of it will be good, some of it will be bloody awful. Let me know if there is anything you wanna see on the Windows side - it's probably where I can help the most.

Cheers,
SmiTTTen
Smitten!! i can't create a partition in C:......it says 42MB avaiable for reduction MAX(note that i have 520Gb free).....how can i solve this?
Josefina Schutten
i'm getting w7 pro like now and i want to prep it like you! because now with 4deck i have a 50-60% of cpu usage that isn't so good....i will try and let you know anyway thanks for the post!!!
Noma Micu
Originally Posted by smittten
I believe the thread is much quieter as people are just generally using the advice posted here as most of the questions have been answered. This machine should be ok. The RAM might be a little on the low side if you don't strip out the other non-essential stuff.
Thanks. You're right it was fine. Was worried beforehand so stopped some nonessential processes and removed some programs, but it works perfectly.
Len Lukawski
Originally Posted by mattYams
Hello all...this is my first post here at DJTT and this by far has been the best thread for me so far. So here is my current setup:

Lenovo Thinkpad T61 (I dunno why but I love these things)
Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.00gHz
4GB RAM
100GB HDD (I bought the laptop for 150 bucks so the HDD is small...plans to upgrade next week)
Kontrol S4 and X1
Windows 7 64-bit

I do have one question. When ever I use my trackpad to move the mouse cursor the beatgrid area (I'm not sure what its called) seems to move much smoother. And when I stop using it the area isn't as smooth. Any ideas?
I am afraid I don't really have an explanation for that behavior - sorry!
Len Lukawski
Originally Posted by Nibbsy
This thread seems to have gone a bit quieter in recent months, is that because the issues with Windows machines have been sorted now?

Reason I ask is that I'm picking up my S4 this week, and I just wanted to make sure that I've got everything ready before it arrives. It sounds from this thread like there's a few things to do to get things running smoothly. Can anyone confirm whether my machine is likely to have these issues? The specs are:

HP Compaq dc7900 (Desktop PC)
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU 2.66GHz x 2
2 GB RAM
Windows Vista 32 bit

Thanks very much.
I believe the thread is much quieter as people are just generally using the advice posted here as most of the questions have been answered. This machine should be ok. The RAM might be a little on the low side if you don't strip out the other non-essential stuff.
Yadira Kassick
really it's digital jockey, cause we ride media files :B

nice work recording all of the process for pc people, jogs my memory after i was still being utilizing a BCD3000 and Traktor 3 (dual boot, removed lower xp consuming around 70mb of ram when idle).
Jamee Karno
Hello all...this is my first post here at DJTT and this by far has been the best thread for me so far. So here is my current setup:

Lenovo Thinkpad T61 (I dunno why but I love these things)
Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.00gHz
4GB RAM
100GB HDD (I bought the laptop for 150 bucks so the HDD is small...plans to upgrade next week)
Kontrol S4 and X1
Windows 7 64-bit

I do have one question. When ever I use my trackpad to move the mouse cursor the beatgrid area (I'm not sure what its called) seems to move much smoother. And when I stop using it the area isn't as smooth. Any ideas?

I just got both of the controllers the other day and I am really excited to use them both.
Noma Micu
This thread seems to have gone a bit quieter in recent months, is that because the issues with Windows machines have been sorted now?

Reason I ask is that I'm picking up my S4 this week, and I just wanted to make sure that I've got everything ready before it arrives. It sounds from this thread like there's a few things to do to get things running smoothly. Can anyone confirm whether my machine is likely to have these issues? The specs are:

HP Compaq dc7900 (Desktop PC)
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU 2.66GHz x 2
2 GB RAM
Windows Vista 32 bit

Thanks very much.
Darrin Galeota
Originally Posted by djalexander
I use an old HP NC6320 with windows 7.. and a S4 with traktor 2..
Disable the wifi and use gamebooster to kill all those unneeded services when Traktor starts..
Works as a charm..
+1 I have a hp g62, windows 7 64bit, 4gb ddr3 ram and 2.2ghz amd dual core. Its crazy stable. Dont even need to turn the wifi off as it makes no difference to dpc latency.

The dpc sits at about 150 constantly until I updated the graphics driver now it has a 2200 spike every 15 secs and it wont let me roll back the driver
Still no audio dropouts at all.

Would recomend something from hp
Denae Lell
I use an old HP NC6320 with windows 7.. and a S4 with traktor 2..
Disable the wifi and use gamebooster to kill all those unneeded services when Traktor starts..
Works as a charm..
Heather Mikel
Indeed, props for this post!

I tried a lot of that stuff on my old laptop (Sony Vaio, Core2Duo T5300, 2gigs ram,...) dedicated to Traktor S4, but I wasn't able to optimize it. Still had latency problems caused by hardware interrupts, even with only the necessary hardware activated. Got me a second hand macBook from a friend, had no problems since
Vikki Jeannoel
haha! evening mare man!
Sharyn Prado
Had one... lost it to ex gf... just a matter of time...
Vikki Jeannoel
what a hugely descriptive post! if you only had a mac :P haha
Sharyn Prado
Ive had everything up and running smoothly for a few weeks now, but all of a sudden things started to go wrong. Windows update and kaspersky update are wreaking havok to the setup and causing spikes o the CPU. I havent an internet connection at home, so have been unable to complete the updates. Im going to try to get to a wifi connection toevening to remedy.... but this is very frustrating. I hope it solves the problem, and Im contemplating selling my laptop and getting a macbook v annoying!

Right clearing the updates off sorted the issue, but I had to raise my latency to 10ms to get it fully functional without clicks or drop outs. Is this as good as it gets with windows?
Len Lukawski
That makes sense. W/ 4gb you're not gonna see much difference and you're essentially adding slower memory into the mix.
Darrin Galeota
Iv tried ready boost on my new laptop (HP G62 B28SA amd p340 2.2ghz dual core, 4 gb ddr3 ram, windows 7 ultimate 64 bit)and cant tell the difference. Also it seems to push up dpc latency a fraction.

@Vangogo

I would be tempted to see how it goes with the new laptop before you partition.

After tweaking windows etc you may find that you don't have any issues with audio or general use. You will probably find after turning of windows services and background stuff that your not actually missing out on anything usefull.

I personally haven't had any issues with mine on a single partition and the common issue wifi doesnt have an effect on dpc latency at all.
Charline Dye
Thanks for the info! I'll give it a try when I get time then and see if it helps.

<< Back to NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talkReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy