Xone: DB2 Thread

Home :: Reviews of DJ equipment :: Xone: DB2 ThreadReply
Xone: DB2 Thread
Posted on: 30.09.2011 by Romelia Stankard
I believe it might be time for me to ditch my NI Kontrollers and get back to my Xonetacular heritage.

I wonder how much a DB4 and two K2s will set me back. This thing look perfect.

http://www.allen-heath.com/uk/Produc...eDB2&SubCatId=

Twin DSP FX Engines

:: Massive FX Library
XoneB2 has more than 50 FX presets divided into
5 FX types: Delays/loopers, Reverbs, Resonance,
M odulation and Damage. These are studio grade FX
Cliff Lohman
Originally Posted by LoveFyi
Hey thanks for the response. Firmware update? Can you hint at what that'd do? It's not going to grow extra sliders and buttons. Really curious what updating the sound card /system sftwre is going to do other than sound better.
Basically, itd be the stuff u see in the efx screen and menu options that will grow. Mixarkitecht gave some good examples of some complex stuff on the roadmap earlier in thread but to generalize, ot sounds like they have plans to add:
- more efx + enhanced current efx
- different signal routing options such as post/pre fader fx

I believe those are the 2 big general categories but they can do alot of things with anything related to to the displays, routing, internal functions etc. not to mention that itll have addons via the xlink.. Will be very curious to see how nicely the k2 plays with the db2/4.
Cliff Lohman
If it was a digital 4D with those effects I'd be all over it but it feels to me the roadmap kinda went backwards. Take quality out of the equation and pioneer have been making this mixer for years. Everyone I know who has this uses traktor with it (minus one or two) so the effects and looping are already there. I'd rather have extended midi.

With more and more djs going performer midi controls are more important now than ever. I know it has the shift midi buttons, but personally i dont like to worry about shifting states when djing, and it's still very limited comparatively. Ableton, traktor, whatever you'd use it's sound card for has effects. It seems this should of been released (minus a few tech details) when the 4D was launched and the 4D released when the db4 was launched.
I rarely use DVS systems live, I'm working on doing more of a production performance, but its still in infancy. My career past and current has/is on techs or cdjs. I'd LOVE to have this mixer now in a club. Not using software that looper and effects would be great. In any case it's a great mixer.
But doesnt the db4 cover that ground already? Sure, its debateable which should come first but quite franctly, making a controller that is just a bunch of midi buttons,knobs,etc seems alot easier than what the db4 does. DB4 is like 4 main features away from being traktor itself it seems like (maybe this is why ni refuses to certify).

In my opinion 75 percent of traktors efx dont sound that great. Nothing beats external eq, efx and filters yet imo on top grade mixers (including pioneer). Traktor just sounds too mechanical imo. This is completely subjective obviously so if u want full midi, they got the db4. For those that want external, they got this db4 beast.
Cristobal Madhavan
Hey thanks for the response. Firmware update? Can you hint at what that'd do? It's not going to grow extra sliders and buttons. Really curious what updating the sound card /system sftwre is going to do other than sound better.
Brant Briski
kev - the signal flow is a bit different on the DB4 than the layout suggests.

input matrix - gain - looper - fx - fader - filter x/y - master

we'll eventually have our kitty back in action; currently she bites my wife every time we visit.

lovefyi - keep watch for future firmware that offers many features that will make producers taking their productions out of the studio into the dj very, very happy.
Romelia Stankard
If it was a digital 4D with those effects I'd be all over it but it feels to me the roadmap kinda went backwards. Take quality out of the equation and pioneer have been making this mixer for years. Everyone I know who has this uses traktor with it (minus one or two) so the effects and looping are already there. I'd rather have extended midi.

With more and more djs going performer midi controls are more important now than ever. I know it has the shift midi buttons, but personally i dont like to worry about shifting states when djing, and it's still very limited comparatively. Ableton, traktor, whatever you'd use it's sound card for has effects. It seems this should of been released (minus a few tech details) when the 4D was launched and the 4D released when the db4 was launched.
I rarely use DVS systems live, I'm working on doing more of a production performance, but its still in infancy. My career past and current has/is on techs or cdjs. I'd LOVE to have this mixer now in a club. Not using software that looper and effects would be great. In any case it's a great mixer.
Well this has xlink to connect xone: k2s or whatever else they come out with so it is pretty much the next 4d. This is much much better than if they made another huge brick controller and solved the problem having the add ons with the xlink protocol. It is the perfect system and I believe the EQs add a lot and I love the loopers on the db4- I would much rather have a loop on the mixer that doesn't effect the play state of the track deck.
Cristobal Madhavan

Romelia Stankard
Man I'm an S4 sale away from buying a DB4 I just wish it was scratch certified... why NI?
Cliff Lohman
Originally Posted by mix architekt
kill send mode for delay and reverb is just like you described - when you hit the end of the dry/wet travel, the input is killed and the fx tails ring out. the results are similar to building up the effect and slamming down the fader at the 100% wet.

the next firmware update will include 2 major mode changes to the delay and reverbs, which i've mentioned a few times before...

first is the bypass routing. the fx bypass will be moved pre-fx, which means you can turn the effect off and let the tails ring out; alternately you can momentarily dub the fx in using the fx on/off buttons. the amount will still be determined by the dry/wet level, but this allows for some very cool ways to bring in or out the fx.

the second, more intense update is the addition of a "send mode", which turns the function of the dry/wet knob into a pre-fx send level. this does two things - allows you to dynamically control what the effect sees - sweep in your delays on the decay of a snare or modulate the attack and decay of dubs on a synth line; then it also results in the tail of the reverb or delay to decay naturally relative to your regeneration settings.

regeneration itself has been increased on the delays as well, so they get a lot more wild. delay modes can be shifted between ms and bpm sync; they also will do a call and response to your time modulations if you end on a long delay time. so take the time parameter, wiggle it up and down a few times, and end with it on a long delay. it will speak back your knob tweaks to you, since the delay buffer is recording the expansion and contraction of time.

so there's quite a lot to explore in db4 fx that are much deeper than what appears on the surface. same can be said for the db2 which carries over the fx engines and gains the post fader placement.
cool - thnx for the confirmation + info.. i love that this product seems like it will be improved upon via firmware updates for a long time.. not too often u find something like that.. usually its companies trying to sell u the next greatest thing 6 months later. Very refreshing to see this mixer has a nice, long roadmap. I believe im going to make the switch and just hope scratch certification comes along someday (it would be ridiculous to use a TSP audio sound card on top of the A+H mixer and lose the sound quality, right?). I can get a sweet deal on one locally and might as well sell the djm 900 while its still pioneers 'latest and greatest' so i shouldnt take a beating on the sale. Going to go demo the db4 this weekend. But I believe its time to make the switch.. pioneer has gotten a wee bit boring for me and their cust service has essentially made me never want to buy another piece of gear from them again.

One more question - i believe i've gathered this right from the info on community s, etc. but can you confirm my understanding of the sound signal path which I believe is pretty much top to bottom? In other words - does the input go thru the following chain before being output to the mix/master?
1. channel level filter / eq (top section)
2. FX
3. Main LP/HP/BP #1/2 (bottom side sections)
4. Output to mix/master

Or did I get that completely wrong? Sorry, Im not all that familiar with A+H. I've only played around with the 92 for a little while. I remember the filter system being alot different than what I was used to (maybe a bit confusing at first but man did it get some great sound out of it).

By the way, I absolutely loved ur noise generation video. Any plans to do more off-the-books feature tutorials? I imagine a ton of time went into training ur cat to learn noise generation but he/she should totally show some more tricks!

thnx again

kev
Brant Briski
kill send mode for delay and reverb is just like you described - when you hit the end of the dry/wet travel, the input is killed and the fx tails ring out. the results are similar to building up the effect and slamming down the fader at the 100% wet.

the next firmware update will include 2 major mode changes to the delay and reverbs, which i've mentioned a few times before...

first is the bypass routing. the fx bypass will be moved pre-fx, which means you can turn the effect off and let the tails ring out; alternately you can momentarily dub the fx in using the fx on/off buttons. the amount will still be determined by the dry/wet level, but this allows for some very cool ways to bring in or out the fx.

the second, more intense update is the addition of a "send mode", which turns the function of the dry/wet knob into a pre-fx send level. this does two things - allows you to dynamically control what the effect sees - sweep in your delays on the decay of a snare or modulate the attack and decay of dubs on a synth line; then it also results in the tail of the reverb or delay to decay naturally relative to your regeneration settings.

regeneration itself has been increased on the delays as well, so they get a lot more wild. delay modes can be shifted between ms and bpm sync; they also will do a call and response to your time modulations if you end on a long delay time. so take the time parameter, wiggle it up and down a few times, and end with it on a long delay. it will speak back your knob tweaks to you, since the delay buffer is recording the expansion and contraction of time.

so there's quite a lot to explore in db4 fx that are much deeper than what appears on the surface. same can be said for the db2 which carries over the fx engines and gains the post fader placement.
Cliff Lohman
Originally Posted by mix architekt
changing eq modes on the DB2 is accomplished through the menu. it's a global change for all the channels.

there are loopers on the DB2 - it's the roller effect under the delay variants menu.

DB2 FX are post fader, assigned via the x-y selector switch. they can be pre or post xfader if it's engaged, which can be very interesting, especially when running the same track across the matrix inputs with radically different fx settings.

the filters on the DB2 should not be underestimated, they're quite expressive and functional for smooth transitions or wild changes.

you can emulate master fx by assigning all of your active channels to an fx engine, which also has the filters in line... it's incredibly versatile, only limited by your willingness to do your homework, experiment, and take risks. same for the DB4.

DB4 FX are pre-fader, but on the next firmware update you'll see a new send mode for reverbs and delays that change the function of the dry/wet knob into something more like an aux send. the bypass buttons will also be pre-fx in that mode, so either through bypass or the send knob your delay and reverb tails will ring out. great for massive dub hits and the like. regen has also been increased for the delays, which make millisecond mode that much more crazy.

we've been doing some ridiculous filter stuff with both mixers - running maximum resonance on the dual filter mode eq, sweeping all the way down to create massive bass peaks, ramming that through maximum distortion for a ballsy square wave, and then using the fx filter (or the x/y filter on the db4) again with max resonance to be swept for serious wobble bass or a wonderful sub enhancement for layered tracks.

a variation of this is running one track across 2 matrix inputs, loop 1, run through 2 filters for wobble vibes, and then let the other run free with some minor feq adjustments to make room for the wobble. if your fingers are quick, things are totally nuts.
Hi,

First off - lots of great material you have out for A+H.. Im believeing about selling my djm900 and going with a DB4. Im a little bored of the djm900 since I used a djm700 for quite a while and it just didnt make enough advancement to keep things interesting. Theres also a bunch of issues im having with the djm900 midi clock + bpm, etc. Ur vids + community posts really have me believeing the db4 is a better choice for me. The ONLY thing kind of holding me back is lack of scratch certification but im believeing ill just need to get over it

Anyways.. im curious about the DB4 and the fact that its fx are pre-fader. I love post-fader efx but I had read something about the DB4 having a way to put certain efx like delay and reverb into a "kill mode" whereby when you move all the way to the WET side, it kills the main channel signal which sounded like it emulates post fader efx.. is that true? is there anything that u could get out of the usual "slam down the channel fader" post-fader fx that u couldnt get out of this kill mode on the db4? It seems like there isnt but was curious on ur thoughts?

Thinking about it, I kind of like this way of using the dry/wet to kill the main signal as opposed to doing it by slamming channel fader down..

Thnx
Torie Hollobaugh
'been listening to September's for like a week straight, awesome!
Brant Briski
videos and audio samples are coming soon; not to worry! in the mean time, all of my dj mixes since january have been recorded with the DB4, using various states of beta firmware. from july onward the new fx routing has been active, with october's mix recorded at bpm itself with the aux send mode enabled. those can be found here: http://soundcloud.com/mixarchitekt
Basil Forshee
This is all very kind and good for my and others knowledge, but could you tell us when there's going to be a YouTube-movie of it or something? I'm dying to see one in action, because I haven't figured out to go for the DB2 or just wait till a (possible) price-drop of the 92! Miss those dual filters...
Brant Briski
Originally Posted by Destrukto
The DB2's EQ can't be changed on the fly, plus it's a global setting if I'm correct.
it is a global setting, affecting all channels, but it can be changed on the fly.

we've practiced getting into and out of filter/eq modes on the DB2 at the factory quite a lot. it's totally do-able without any disruption. plan your transition point at the start or end of a phrase, drop it in for a momentary band pass (when changing from eq to filter) and open them up. going the opposite way is a bit more tricky but it just requires a bit of practice.

i would like to suggest that people give a serious run on the dual filter mode eq before writing off the DB series mixers because of the lack of 4 band eq. it does more than appears on the surface.

while subtractive filtering is the obvious role of the dual filter eq mode, you get the ability to boost a sweepable range of frequencies by cranking up the resonance. the interaction of the 2 filters with different resonance levels is the key to this. massive low frequency boosts can be applied by setting resonance at it's maximum, then tuning the HPF to the bass region you want thundering, while leaving the LPF at it's top.

an inverted approach to mid cut can be achieved with a similar approach - using the resonant peaks of the HP and LP filters to boost the extreme bottom and top, while the mid is not boosted. adjust your fader level to compensate for the gain.

mid boost takes on a whole new dimension with high resonance and focusing both filters. you can fine tune the exact area of the track you want to isolate, or enhance... the closer the freqs get with max res, the larger the boosts will be.

this can be swept up or down for a massive layering of resonant peaks - create super sub bass with max res, and both HP and LP swept all the way down, then adjust one or the other till your bowels let loose.

the more time you spend with it, the more you get back. when you add in the x/y multimode filters on top of the dual filter eq, things get even more interesting.
nayit ruiz jaramillo
Originally Posted by suit
Any news on the Traktor scratch certification yet. It probably won't be a huge deal breaker though as I'm still weighing up a whole lot of options at the moment as the price for the 92's has fallen heaps.
No news yet im afraid.
Hoa Koogle
Any news on the Traktor scratch certification yet. It probably won't be a huge deal breaker though as I'm still weighing up a whole lot of options at the moment as the price for the 92's has fallen heaps.
Lauretta Ehrhorn
Currently using a Xone S2 and had a Xone 32 previously but may have to sell for a DB2 or DB4, can't decide which though.
Massive A&H fanboy.
Torie Hollobaugh
Originally Posted by minimal
Well, yeah. That and 4 EQ buttons. Ever since mastering riding the EQs, I can't imagine going back to the 3 EQ world. Why would they f8ck up like that? Messin with their signature sound doesn't sound very smart.
Originally Posted by Xonetacular
Honestly I'm really glad they ditched the 4 band EQ. I convinced myself I really liked it on the 92 but when I switched to a 4D I loved the A&H 3 band and I couldn't go back to 4 it's just too much to mess with. Here you have the different modes so having EQs, issolators, and filters all in line I believe is more useful than 4 band EQ for carving out the sound you want.
Originally Posted by RainerHaselier
DB2 for 1400 Euro incl VAT
seen here:

http://www.midi-amsterdam.nl/catalog...7V0sk.facebook
I see over at Decks the 464, 4D, and 92 are priced the same at
Palma Hanslip
Originally Posted by Bigboibbp
As someone who is purchasing a DJM-900 i really don't see that as a breaking point in the unit. Im sure that cracking and popping can be resolved in a future firmware update. also quite honestly, i believe the DB2 and the 900 are in 2 separate tiers, maybe the 900 and db4 but not the db2 imo.
This would be a massive thing for quite a lot of people regarding the recording. I'm sure it would put me off buying one..

And as for the second part of your comment, you really can't compare the 900 to the db4. The only thing the db4 can be compared to is the 2000..

Iv used the db2 to quite a big extend and the 900 and i believe the db2 edges forward a bit.
Shantae Faile
Originally Posted by tomflynn
I'd also like to add, if anyone is believeing of either getting this or a pioneer DJM 900 - get the allen & heath.
the 900 does not record properly on certain mac osx. you can record out the back no problem, but digitally it gives all pops and crackles and a horrible fuzz sound.

That's only for the case for mac osx 10.6.8 and above, not sure about lion. Personally i believe it's a disgrace. How can you hope to sell a mixer that can't record properly.

Check the pioneer community s if you want to see more, there's a lot of unhappy people on there.
As someone who is purchasing a DJM-900 i really don't see that as a breaking point in the unit. Im sure that cracking and popping can be resolved in a future firmware update. also quite honestly, i believe the DB2 and the 900 are in 2 separate tiers, maybe the 900 and db4 but not the db2 imo.
Brant Briski
the expression parameter function on most of the reverbs is a high pass filter (separate from the dual filter at the bottom), so you could have the reverb only effecting the mid-high freqs. sweep the entire way up and it's just upper freqs. on many of the other fx variants, the fx adjust parameter is a sweepable filter as well, so you can focus the fx on the frequency area of the track you wish to effect. it's quite powerful in delays, resonators, all of them actually.

you can assign both fx to 1 source if you use the input matrix. 2 channels using the same source, assigned to fx x and fx y. this would be in parallel.

2 fx in series (or 4 with db4) is only possible using the advanced usb routing, taking pre-fader feeds and running each channel into the other via your host application's routing, such as you'd find in ableton live. the downside is that you would only have one fader active on the mixer, receiving the stream of the fx in series. this would work for studio applications, but not for most performance situations.

perhaps in future firmware updates series functionality will manifest. but there are a lot of other things being worked on at the moment.
Jillian Wehrkamp
I stick with my Xone: DX and keep real, I do work in Ableton for about three years but real mixing just one, that sweetie would be a waste.
But if anyone is interested, I am willing to swap 1:1

Two questions came up to me while reading all posts. Just interested ..

- It it true that you can for example set a reverb to modify just high frequences while the bass/kickdrum of a track is still running?
How accurate is this spoken in Hz? Didn't find any info about that.
- Can both effect sections be assigned to one channel, like Reverb and Gater in connection? (if not, is that possible on DB4?)

Thanks in advance
Random X
Originally Posted by RainerHaselier
seen here:

Niiiiiiice!

Got it on
May Artman
Thanks for the updates! If I'm interpreting everything right the DB4 update for delays will be exactly what I've wanted. Looking forward to trying it out.
Brant Briski
changing eq modes on the DB2 is accomplished through the menu. it's a global change for all the channels.

there are loopers on the DB2 - it's the roller effect under the delay variants menu.

DB2 FX are post fader, assigned via the x-y selector switch. they can be pre or post xfader if it's engaged, which can be very interesting, especially when running the same track across the matrix inputs with radically different fx settings.

the filters on the DB2 should not be underestimated, they're quite expressive and functional for smooth transitions or wild changes.

you can emulate master fx by assigning all of your active channels to an fx engine, which also has the filters in line... it's incredibly versatile, only limited by your willingness to do your homework, experiment, and take risks. same for the DB4.

DB4 FX are pre-fader, but on the next firmware update you'll see a new send mode for reverbs and delays that change the function of the dry/wet knob into something more like an aux send. the bypass buttons will also be pre-fx in that mode, so either through bypass or the send knob your delay and reverb tails will ring out. great for massive dub hits and the like. regen has also been increased for the delays, which make millisecond mode that much more crazy.

we've been doing some ridiculous filter stuff with both mixers - running maximum resonance on the dual filter mode eq, sweeping all the way down to create massive bass peaks, ramming that through maximum distortion for a ballsy square wave, and then using the fx filter (or the x/y filter on the db4) again with max resonance to be swept for serious wobble bass or a wonderful sub enhancement for layered tracks.

a variation of this is running one track across 2 matrix inputs, loop 1, run through 2 filters for wobble vibes, and then let the other run free with some minor feq adjustments to make room for the wobble. if your fingers are quick, things are totally nuts.
Bethel Himmelein
seen here:

Ella Rick
Tom did you remix a Worthy track?
Ella Rick
I would not buy a Pioneer mixer anyway, don't rate them at all.

Im sure the Pioneer fanboys will have something to say about it.

Thanks for the heads up anyway

Mariano Godina
I'd also like to add, if anyone is believeing of either getting this or a pioneer DJM 900 - get the allen & heath.
the 900 does not record properly on certain mac osx. you can record out the back no problem, but digitally it gives all pops and crackles and a horrible fuzz sound.

That's only for the case for mac osx 10.6.8 and above, not sure about lion. Personally i believe it's a disgrace. How can you hope to sell a mixer that can't record properly.

Check the pioneer community s if you want to see more, there's a lot of unhappy people on there.
Marquetta Sarnie
Europe, Musik-schmidt.de

xone DB2 - 1500
Fannie Ohayre
Originally Posted by DigitalDevil
slammability
I don't "slam" my faders, so this isn't a limitation.
May Artman
slammability
Fannie Ohayre
Rotary faders are overrated.

I used to have a 92 rotary an those big fat knobs were smooth and fun but it was a huge relief going to a 4D and I realized most of the time I would rather have the line faders. I feel like the rotary knobs are more of a novelty and it wears off when you run into the limitations which outweigh the benefits except in a few areas.

What limitations?
May Artman
Agreed. I love the idea, but in actual use I'd rather just use the gain knobs and still have access to faders.
Romelia Stankard

I used to have a 92 rotary an those big fat knobs were smooth and fun but it was a huge relief going to a 4D and I realized most of the time I would rather have the line faders. I feel like the rotary knobs are more of a novelty and it wears off when you run into the limitations which outweigh the benefits except in a few areas.
Danae Dumler
Originally Posted by dj subculture
I guess I'll just have to save up and the Xone 92 with the rotary option.
These show up on ebay for about $1000. I believe there's a lot of new ones that haven't sold so you might be able to get a really good deal.
Fannie Ohayre
Originally Posted by djproben
I doubt we'll see a rotary DB2 or DB4; the market just isn't very significant.
I guess I'll just have to save up and the Xone 92 with the rotary option.
nayit ruiz jaramillo
Originally Posted by willinfluence
Yeah, I agree!

Also I noticed that Juno has the db2 priced at
Danae Dumler
Originally Posted by dj subculture
I wonder how the DB2 stacks up against the DN-X1600?

Any chance of a rotary option for the DB2?
I believe the DBs are in a totally different class from the DN-Xs. I had the DN X1700 for a short time and it is a fantastic mixer with a very capable DSP. But the software for the DB series is like ten years in the future from what the DNXs are capable of.

I doubt we'll see a rotary DB2 or DB4; the market just isn't very significant. I wonder how many rotary 92s they sell. You know Denon specifically built the DNXs so the faders are easily replaceable (there's a plate with 4 screws that you can remove without messing with the rest of the mixer) and they won't even do a rotary even though it would cost a fraction of what it might cost on another mixer. (see here)
Fannie Ohayre
Originally Posted by Karlos Santos
DB2 will be

<< Back to Reviews of DJ equipment Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy