Is it possible to be less US centered

Home :: Q & A :: Is it possible to be less US centeredReply
Is it possible to be less US centered
Posted on: 06.08.2012 by Evia Nitch
Dear all,

I enjoy reading DJTT articles. I like the fact that it exists. However, as a Dutch guy I sometimes are a bit repulsed by the Americanized style of the site. For two reasons:

1) The gear discussed is mostrly stuff you use in the USA. Looking around in Europe, there are differences. I believe you guys could appeal to a broader range of readers if The S4 is not the centerpiece of all discussions.

The latest article about modularity completely omits the A&H Xone series. These units are immensely popular here and in many ways the godfathers of the modular controllers to place between your mixer and your deck. I own a 4D and have seen at least a dozen on stage against one S4. Mind you a 4D has 22 channels of USB audio. Yes it's aged, but it is maybe the most used professional controller on stage.

Generally, what interests me is obscure, new, exciting things.

2) The commercial entanglement is a bit too obvious for European taste. We are a lot more "sensitive" when it comes to this stuff. A "Buy" link after every mention of products you sell? Seriously? If I want one, I find out where to get one.
Jonathan Chiuchiolo
Originally Posted by boarderbas
(why the h3ck would anybody call a 4D NOT contrellerism relevant )
Being the owner of a xone 1D, I don't believe that it fits the mould of a controllersim controller, The jog is terrible the buttons under it are useless, the grid of buttons are too small and have too much travel to be really usefull, The pots and encoders are fantastic bit only 2 absolute knobs per row limits the possibilities, the sliders are good quality but I have never been able to find a good use for them and I map a lot. The 1D imo is built for ableton not dj software. The Mixer part of the 4D is amazing and by far my favourite mixer as it's all the good bits of the 92, but 3 channel eq's which I prefer coming from learning on a djm600.
Basil Forshee
Originally Posted by tekki
Look at the hardcore/hard style scene, look at the drum & bass scene, look at the dubstep scene, look at the trance scene. The total of these genres is bigger than the controller based genres. All of which are mainlined by CDJs and or TTs.
Yes, you're totally right. Nowadays, I only believe that the Dutch dance scene consists of either EDM/Dirty House etc. on the one side, and techno on the other side. But yeah, I see a LOT of Dubstep DJ's and Hardcore DJ's still using CDJ's and Technics.

True, same goes for Laidback Luke.
AMEN! But he made a statement once, saying that he lost interest in the techno scene because it didn't 'move forward'. I cannot for the sake of it understand that. But hmm, he's succesful right?
Evia Nitch
again, fair,

I did not just bump the thread, I quoted my central statement on what I believe the thread should be about. So not about xone love (why the h3ck would anybody call a 4D NOT contrellerism relevant)

I am NOT complaining, just asking, if anybody feels the same, to come up with a decent suggestion to help DJTT.

Originally Posted by EanGolden
you made good points - and I updated the article a bit. it's worth mentioning that we would love to have more european writers on staff that reflect the perspective of our entire community. if you know of anyone that is great- please send them my way!
Random X
Originally Posted by DJ JesC
Dirty Dutch DJs?
I should just drop you where you stand right now. LoLz... DJs sweat, of course we're dirty, sufferd.

Originally Posted by Jester.NZ
Tekki, Paddy, Ed, Myself - Not Amerikaners
Geen amerikanen nee.

I'm a politcal refugee from North Korea. BTW Paddy is from America, South.
And the capitol of Nebraska is Lincoln.

Originally Posted by JDFS
Well Tekki, I've to agree regarding the Dutch 'dirty' scene, as what I would call it. However, if you go to a techno/minimal party, and as you know there are LOTS of them in NL, almost everybody is either playing with Traktor or with Ableton. A few go otherwise (Secret Cinema: Deckadance, UK's Dave Clarke: Serato). So it isn't very traditional anymore! But you're right, Afrojack and all that kind of DJ's still play with CDJ's.
Look at the hardcore/hard style scene, look at the drum & bass scene, look at the dubstep scene, look at the trance scene. The total of these genres is bigger than the controller based genres. All of which are mainlined by CDJs and or TTs.

BTW, still can't understand where Afrojack went 'wrong'. He used to be a fine techno DJ... Just check out this record, for example:
Recently I've seen a lot more S2/S4's, but most guys tend to go the Pioneer DDJ route, unfortunately. A lot of Pioneer fanboys in NL...
True, but, if you ask me, the DDJ isn't a bad controller. It just has some awkward ergonomical flaws.
Evia Nitch
Yes! Please don't believe that Ti
Basil Forshee
The dutch DJ scene is still very traditional, with CDJs and Technics still being frequently used. Though I gotta tell ya, controllers like the S4/S2/VCI-100/VCI-300 are winning more and more ground in every genre.

The reason why the S4/S2 and VCI-100/VCI-400 are being mainlined here is something I don't have to clear up, do I?
Well Tekki, I've to agree regarding the Dutch 'dirty' scene, as what I would call it. However, if you go to a techno/minimal party, and as you know there are LOTS of them in NL, almost everybody is either playing with Traktor or with Ableton. A few go otherwise (Secret Cinema: Deckadance, UK's Dave Clarke: Serato). So it isn't very traditional anymore! But you're right, Afrojack and all that kind of DJ's still play with CDJ's.

BTW, still can't understand where Afrojack went 'wrong'. He used to be a fine techno DJ... Just check out this record, for example:

Recently I've seen a lot more S2/S4's, but most guys tend to go the Pioneer DDJ route, unfortunately. A lot of Pioneer fanboys in NL...
Evia Nitch
I started with a 3D. It was just a mixer for nearly a year. Never could get it to work. Part of it is that I had some vague idea of what it should do but no clue yet of it's exect workings. Untill I got a laptop just for music, deleted Vista, installed XP.
It was ok. Then I updated the firmware, which made it MUCH better. Then ran out of channels on the internal soundcard and my skills improved to a level that I started to be annoyed by the close spacing of the pots. Upgraded to the 4D. While visually similar, it is really at least 3 times better that the 3D. It's too easy to fly through 22 audio channels. Before you know it you use them all. Never had any problems with the jog wheel. Did you select the RIGHT enless encoder mode in traktor? If you get it wrong it behaves erratically.

If I lived near you I'd buy you a doorstop and would trade it for the 1D.
Jonathan Chiuchiolo
my definition of controllerism is "ruining songs with too many effect and/or cuepoints, for the satisfaction of only the user"...

Don't get me wrong, my introduction to midi started with an Mpd24 and the 1D as a suppliment to timecode control... the 1D opened so many possibilities for extra control that I never though possible, but there are many better controllers out there that can take it's place...

My beef with the jog wheels is they don't send a steady reliable midi signal, it is very erratic so not usable for pitch bending, also the drivers for windows for the 1D were terrible, they took half of my laptops resources as soon as it was plugged in. I contacted A&H about the problem and was not offered a viable solution.

Now the 1D is honestly just used as a door stop which it is well suited to as it's big and heavy enough to prevent the wind from blowing my door open when the wind pressure increases from someone opening the front door of my house. /offtopic
Evia Nitch
Oh terrible me. So tempted to start discussing A&H stuff.

[offtopic]I believe it depends on your definition of controllerism. I mapped the sample deck volume to the sliders, use the top buttons in different screen modes for different slot functions (load, empty, play/pause), each sample deck set to one channel on the mixer. When using the deck I generally set the mixer channels to full, generating a virtual 8 mixer channels for the eight decks. (Can't wait for a hack to assing the entire grid for sample triggering). My map changes completely when switched to browser mode.
The jog is not terrible. It is different. Not usable for scratching, but ok for navigating. I agree that it is no comparison for modern, soft button, rgb led feedback devices, but hey, these things (1D,2D,3D) started it all. I'm used to the 4D and it gets my jobs done. I am not a big cue juggler or jogwheel-effector.
Never felt a true arcade button, but are they so different drom the bottom buttons on a 1D?

Damn I whish I had the time to document my map and publish it...[/offtopic]
Jonathan Chiuchiolo
Originally Posted by boarderbas
(why the h3ck would anybody call a 4D NOT contrellerism relevant )
Being the owner of a xone 1D, I don't believe that it fits the mould of a controllersim controller, The jog is terrible the buttons under it are useless, the grid of buttons are too small and have too much travel to be really usefull, The pots and encoders are fantastic bit only 2 absolute knobs per row limits the possibilities, the sliders are good quality but I have never been able to find a good use for them and I map a lot. The 1D imo is built for ableton not dj software. The Mixer part of the 4D is amazing and by far my favourite mixer as it's all the good bits of the 92, but 3 channel eq's which I prefer coming from learning on a djm600.
Basil Forshee
Yes, you're totally right. Nowadays, I only believe that the Dutch dance scene consists of either EDM/Dirty House etc. on the one side, and techno on the other side. But yeah, I see a LOT of Dubstep DJ's and Hardcore DJ's still using CDJ's and Technics.

AMEN! But he made a statement once, saying that he lost interest in the techno scene because it didn't 'move forward'. I cannot for the sake of it understand that. But hmm, he's succesful right?
Evia Nitch
again, fair,

I did not just bump the thread, I quoted my central statement on what I believe the thread should be about. So not about xone love (why the h3ck would anybody call a 4D NOT contrellerism relevant)

I am NOT complaining, just asking, if anybody feels the same, to come up with a decent suggestion to help DJTT.

Originally Posted by EanGolden
you made good points - and I updated the article a bit. it's worth mentioning that we would love to have more european writers on staff that reflect the perspective of our entire community. if you know of anyone that is great- please send them my way!
Joselyn Supina
I'm an American, so maybe I'm not the best person to comment on this subject, but I like this community because its seems so globally based. I figured most of the people here were Europeans. I also figured all the S4 love was because most of the users here use S4's. Ean's videos with the S4 is what led me to this site. It would be awkward if I was hanging out in the Serato community s, talking about the S4. Personally, if I wanted to talk about Allen & Heath things, I'd check out their community s:
http://www.allen-heath.com/uk/support/pages/community s.aspx

Or hey, bring some of the xone love here, I'm sure if you started threads about their gear, other people would join in.

Other than that, you have to realize that there is a store attached to this website. DJTT brought us midi fighters and chromacaps, of course their going to praise them on their own website.
Celine Surico
Yes, I don't see the need to have regional community s. Non-US DJs, just use this community more actively.
Nedra Fresneda
Getting regional sub community s is overkill IMO. DJTT is a global community and it's core relies on getting people halfway across the world to share their knowledge with each other.

If you want to discuss local events and scene you are free to do so but the main focus of this community isn't it.
Teresia Janusch
Maybe a sub community for continents or something? best of all worlds then?

fyi, ive used a Xone 1d for a few years now, and wont be changing anytime soon...unless the F1 has a proper midi in port so i can still use the mapping on my Nexus
Jonathan Chiuchiolo
why did you bump this? it had only been 3 hours...

There is no way to make this site more globalised... The entire purpose of DJTT is for nerds to talk about digital dj techniques, software and gear, You are wanting to discuss gear and styles that are more traditional... there is a community for that called "djcommunity s" Everything here is tailored to controllerism. The only thing they could do is post prices in the Euro or Pound, but it would still be the same old midifighter, VCI, S4, X1, F1, Traktor loving place it is now as that is what this place is about. If pioneer or denon released something to go for the controllerism market It would get blog time and promotion without a doubt, but they haven't made anything notable.

While I believe most of the NI love is paid for adverising, DJTT still create articles when something is worthy, If you want articles on other gear check out djworx or digitalditips... they review literally everything that hits the market, It is good that DJTT keep their identity and don't review every single controller on the market and keep things relevant to controllerism.
Evia Nitch
* it is better to leave these remarks out *

Onnodige post dus.
Random X
Dirty Dutch DJs?
I should just drop you where you stand right now. LoLz... DJs sweat, of course we're dirty, sufferd.

Geen amerikanen nee.

And the capitol of Nebraska is Lincoln.

Originally Posted by JDFS

True, but, if you ask me, the DDJ isn't a bad controller. It just has some awkward ergonomical flaws.
Evia Nitch
Yes! Please don't believe that Ti
Basil Forshee
The dutch DJ scene is still very traditional, with CDJs and Technics still being frequently used. Though I gotta tell ya, controllers like the S4/S2/VCI-100/VCI-300 are winning more and more ground in every genre.

The reason why the S4/S2 and VCI-100/VCI-400 are being mainlined here is something I don't have to clear up, do I?

Latoria Kavulich
Details details
Cristian Carmona
Latoria Kavulich
Cristian Carmona

Dirty Dutch DJs?
Dannielle Dingey
Originally Posted by Tommi Bass
Ja with all due respect to the Amercians ... but we have our own MASSIVE ELECTRONIC DJ scene in Europe since erm... 1985.

The 1990s was off the chain!!!!!!!!!

For sure you gave birth to ... Electro (not the shitty stuff) Techno (Detroit) House (Chigago & NYC)

But we have been having massive.... massive.... massive partys all over Europe... and inturn have created many, many, many subgenres and new ones... like dnb UK Garage dubstep...... and so on.

U.K ,Spain, Italy... Holland.. Germany ........ its what we do day in day out.... we have massive superstars... and a profound underground music scene.......

I live in Berlin (moved from the u.k to Berlin in 2008 cus the sceen here is bonkers) and here we have hundreds and hundreds of clubs and music bars... its crazy!

AND we don't call it EDM.
Hmmm you forgot the importance of Belgium in the Euro-dance scene...
We are not good in many things but excel in a few: education, beer, chocolate AND house/dance music!

Or why do you believe that 40% of the party people in Fuse, Silo (gone), CDA, Decadance (gone) , culture club, Zillion (gone), ... were Dutch
Random X
Originally Posted by Tommi Bass
True EDM is a more American based term, true the articles are more US based, than again... Most articles on the blog are written by US based people.
However, when you compare that to the community s...

The 4D being the most known controller/mixer..? Come on.... Xone:1D I would tend to agree, just as the Kontrol X1. Also the Xone : DX would be a great player.

Germaine Bernadin
Ja with all due respect to the Amercians ... but we have our own MASSIVE ELECTRONIC DJ scene in Europe since erm... 1985.

The 1990s was off the chain!!!!!!!!!

For sure you gave birth to ... Electro (not the shitty stuff) Techno (Detroit) House (Chigago & NYC)

But we have been having massive.... massive.... massive partys all over Europe... and inturn have created many, many, many subgenres and new ones... like dnb UK Garage dubstep...... and so on.

U.K ,Spain, Italy... Holland.. Germany ........ its what we do day in day out.... we have massive superstars... and a profound underground music scene.......

I live in Berlin (moved from the u.k to Berlin in 2008 cus the sceen here is bonkers) and here we have hundreds and hundreds of clubs and music bars... its crazy!

Evia Nitch
@Ean

As I said, you are right to get into the controller business. I can't blame you! But a few more articles on other controllers and techniques explained through the use of other controllers would help. The spoon full of sugar to help the S4/Midifigter/Chromacaps go down...
Evia Nitch
Fair replies. For sure, I may have exaggerated a bit to get the point across. True, I took Europe as an example. I love this website, and part of me knows that you need some commercial activities to maintain it, but the other part would love to be fooled into believing it is unbiased EDM journalism.

We have things like craigslist here too. I'm not sure what is meant by prices. These are not all that different I believe.

If I had any authority on a subject, I'd write an article...
Nedra Fresneda
Other than prices, I don't believe the articles are too US centered.

Btw, there is lot more than Europe as well happening in the EDM world too
Celine Surico
One big differentiator between Europe and over here is the prices, indeed. That then reflects on what kind of gear is purchased. Or thrown away.

PS: Means you could get astounding deals on Craigslist.
Era Roka
I totally disagree, i'm dutch too.

Ervin Calvery
Phil Morse / DigitalDJTips.com is in Spain. He (they?) use the ads/partner links to support themselves as well as UNICEF.

It's honestly never occurred to me that someone with different sensibilities might find the 'buy' links to be abrasive.
Evia Nitch
Well, let's not try to roast the American dream.

It's not necessarily bad, it's just different. I was hoping to raise a bit of awareness @ DJTT and maybe take the time to get some articles out that would appeal to the "European" taste. I'd recommend the staff of DJTT to go to Ozora festival, Vuuv, Stubnitz, Kazantip or some Berlin underground party and get a feel for what's happening here. If i'm not mistaken, just a few years ago, anything now known as Techno, Progressive, House or Trance was called "Eurotrance" by the uninitiated US listener.
Claude Koveleski
Bahahaha
Jonathan Chiuchiolo
America, FUCK YEAH!
Coming again, to save the mother fucking day yeah,
America, FUCK YEAH!
Freedom is the only way yeah,
Terrorist your game is through cause now you have to answer to
America, FUCK YEAH!
So lick my butt, and suck on my balls,
America, FUCK YEAH!

Evia Nitch
My feel is that Americans are more appealed to things stuffed in an easy to use, ready out of the box, commercial format. I see a lot of "tweaks" on otherwise very pre-defined gear. If you take a look at any A&H midi controller (or most behringer for that matter as many others), notice that there is NO print on any button. It provides only the platform and lets you use it the way you want to use it.
Basil Forshee
I would really like to see a Europe-based counterpart for DJTT, mentioning more Euro stuff, indeed. But maybe it'll come, one day.

<< Back to Q & AReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy