Home :: DJ TechTools' VCI-100 FAQ :: Common VCI-100 Firmware QuestionsReply
Common VCI-100 Firmware Questions
Posted on: 20.08.2008 by
How do I update my firmware?

Please visit this post to learn how to update your firmware:
http://www.djranking s.com/2008/08/1...-100-firmware/

If you have problems please visit this thread:
http://www.djranking s.com/community /sho...=7732#post7732

Which firmware version does your VCi-100 have?
Version 1.1
the firmware with the "ramp up problem"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2Y509VQVEQ

the jog wheel touch sensor turns off when the wheel stops turning, not when you release your finger.

Version 1.2
-VCI-100's with a green sticker on the back are firmware version 1.2
- this version solved the ramp up problem but still has several bugs including
* the fourth FX buttons send out the same midi message as the right headphone cue button.

Version 1.3
The firmware found in all VCi-100SE controllers that was designed by Ean Golden.

You can tell if you have 1.3 by following these steps.

1) connect your vci-100 to a computer but dont start traktor.

2) Click the button that is at the top right hand corner of the left jog wheel (its next to the filter knob for deck A).

3) If this button's light toggles on and off then you have 1.3 (the same button on the right deck will not toggle on and off.

Here are a few of the changes made in 1.3

general improvements:

* Eliminated the problem where the 4th FX buttons trigger other buttons (cue)
* added midi in functionality to the loop buttons
* added a note on to the jog wheel in scroll mode

performance:

* turned the filter knobs into double knobs (0-127 on the left and right side)
* added a "freeze function" to the bottom of each fader and top of the fx knobs. this sends out a 127 message only at the end of the movement
* added inverted messages to the faders (this allows an effect to be turned on by turning the fader down- not possible otherwise)
* added unique values to the FX buttons (these were used for direct FX selection- now added in Traktor Pro)
Rochell Ulvestad
Sorry about that. Yes, I open the Basic program first then load the firmware file.
Everything is put back together securely
Leeanna Ayla
Originally Posted by EliPsE
1)
5)opened the program with the firmware file
May just be wording, but I open Renases then select the file. The way you have it written it sounds like your clicking on the firmware file and it opens Renases.

Is the paper piece back securely and the screw holding that board in good?
Rochell Ulvestad
1)powered off vci
2)removed harness
3)inserted the pcb
4)connected usb
5)opened the program with the firmware file
6)Turned the VCI on
7)flashed it
8)Turned the VCI off then removed the pcb and reconnected the harness

am I doing something wrong??

Clock Frequency (External) = 24.0000MHz, Clock Mode = 0, CKM = 1, and CKP = N/A
Connecting to device 'H8/3052F' on 'COM4'
Configuration:
'BOOT Mode' connection - using emulated interface
Opening port 'COM4' ...
Loading Comms DLL
Loaded Comms DLL
Initiating BOOT SCI sequence
Attempting 9600
Received immediate response from device: 0xAA
Using micro-Kernel : 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Renesas\FDT4.05\kernels\ProtB\3052\Renesas\1 _2_00\uGen3052.cde'
Downloading and verifying micro kernel...
Device is erasing...
Erase Timeout value set to 21 seconds
Erase Successful
micro-Kernel download successful
Sending inquiry for getting line size
Buffer size has been set to default (128 bytes)
Sending selection of device command
Selection of Device - Device selected, code 0302
Sending selection of clock mode
Sending selection of clock mode
Selection of Clock Mode - Clock selected, code 0
Changing baud rate to 38400 bps
Set baud rate value = 38400
Downloading main kernel 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Renesas\FDT4.05\kernels\ProtB\3052\Renesas\1 _2_00\Genm3052.cde'
Main kernel download complete...
Connection complete
Processing file :"C:\Users\Gabriel\Downloads\VCI1001_4\VCI100-DaveX-1.4.mot"
Operation on User Flash
Downloaded the operation module
Writing image to device... [0x00000000 - 0x0000907F]
Writing image to device... [0x00009080 - 0x0000917F]
Writing image to device... [0x00009180 - 0x00009AFF]
Data programmed at the following positions:
0x00000000 - 0x0000907F Length : 0x00009080
0x00009080 - 0x0000917F Length : 0x00000100
0x00009180 - 0x00009AFF Length : 0x00000980
38.75 K programmed in 49 seconds
Image written to device
Adolf Hit
Two things to check here - 1 that you selected the correct file to upload to the device (some people have flashed it with the .zip, the .exe etc) this just corrupts the firmware, and secondly are you removing the update kit before powering it back on after update.

It is the update kit which forces it into bootloader mode. However I suspect you are just not flashing the correct file.
Rochell Ulvestad
I'm using windows 7 usb-serial to upgrade from 1.3 to 1.4
After flashing it says "Image successfully written to device."
I then try to turn my VCI-100 on to use with Traktor and the power button goes on(red) but nothing else. It seems like there is no data being transferred or it's stuck in boot mode.

Any ideas?? I hope the controller isn't broken.
Tonya Lende
thanks!!!
Leeanna Ayla
Originally Posted by buddhafly
i want the fw 1.3 back.

where can I download it??
Post #6

http://djranking s.com/community /showthr...d=1#post161079
Tonya Lende
i want the fw 1.3 back.

where can i download it??
Jayne Busacca
-----
Aurore Deeson
Originally Posted by EanGolden
It is possible to switch between 1.3 and 1.2 (which is basically 1.1) Watch this video for instructions:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq9dpq6PlGQ

note: the unit will always default to 1.3 though and to start in 1.2 you will have to execute the hold command each time its turned off.
Hi there,
first I really appreciate your music and work.
Question: Do you believe you are able to solve problem with VCI vs. iCore CPU. How it does with firmware 1,3?
Cheers and thanks.
Agueda Outterbridge
I've been trying everything in this thread . I was updating my firmware with a serial cable and getting the attempting 9600, 4800 2400 ...error 14024:Boot failed error.

I've changed the serial cable for a new one and it worked fine.
Leeanna Ayla
Originally Posted by Joshimixu

for example i read that the line fader send a 127 at their bottom in V1.3...so i cant use them for volume anymore, is that right?
Do you mean the volume faders in the center? I'm on 1.3 and use them for volume. Almost never touch my crossfader. 1.3 also fixes a couple of other things like some buttons with the same midi note.
Jayne Busacca
Hey guys, i gotta question...

Does it make sense to upgrade to 1.3 if i want to stay at my own midi mapping? i just want to update because of the ramp up problem and a few other things...

for example i read that the line fader send a 127 at their bottom in V1.3...so i cant use them for volume anymore, is that right?

Should i update to 1.2 ???

Greetings from Germany

Josh
Leeanna Ayla
Originally Posted by KAMZA84
Hey guys

How do i disable the whole "slightest touch of the plate leads to a cue point" thing? And is it possible to somehow use the Arcade buttons on my VCI100 to store and trigger cue points? (ie. shift + Arcade button 1 = cue point 1)

Thx in advance!
In the latest mapping that's what they do when your in juggle mode. 1=cue point 1 Shift + 1=cue point 5 etc...
Sherrie Prusaczyk
Hey guys

How do i disable the whole "slightest touch of the plate leads to a cue point" thing? And is it possible to somehow use the Arcade buttons on my VCI100 to store and trigger cue points? (ie. shift + Arcade button 1 = cue point 1)

Thx in advance!
Lilliana Perris
Um...to be honest....only 2.

I will try a 3rd....yeah...that will be my next move. Cheers mate.

That's why i keep coming here....
Leeanna Ayla
Originally Posted by sarasin
Still no dice for me!

The VCI just does not go into Boot Mode.

Tried pretty much everything at this point. I even got a 2nd adapter from DJTT as I could not get the first one to work.

Both adapters have the same effect....no boot mode.

Anyone have this issue?

I use a normal serial cable...windows XP desktop.

No boot. I tried the suggestion by Midifidler to bridge one of the connections, but not sure if this worked or not. Could have been my solder job.

Any other idea's before I purchase a 3rd adapter?

Thanks.

Sarasin
Have you tried any other cables?
Lilliana Perris
Still no dice for me!

The VCI just does not go into Boot Mode.

Tried pretty much everything at this point. I even got a 2nd adapter from DJTT as I could not get the first one to work.

Both adapters have the same effect....no boot mode.

Anyone have this issue?

I use a normal serial cable...windows XP desktop.

No boot. I tried the suggestion by Midifidler to bridge one of the connections, but not sure if this worked or not. Could have been my solder job.

Any other idea's before I purchase a 3rd adapter?

Thanks.

Sarasin
Danilo Fye
I need some help upgrading up firmware, I believe I have all the settings right but im getting this error message about downloading kernel.

Clock Frequency (External) = 24.0000MHz, Clock Mode = 0, CKM = 1, and CKP = N/A
Connecting to device 'H8/3052F' on 'COM7'
Configuration:
'BOOT Mode' connection - using emulated interface
Opening port 'COM7' ...
Loading Comms DLL
Loaded Comms DLL
Initiating BOOT SCI sequence
Attempting 9600
Received immediate response from device: 0xAA
Using micro-Kernel : 'C:\Program Files\Renesas\FDT4.05\kernels\ProtB\3052\Renesas\1 _2_00\uGen3052.cde'
Downloading and verifying micro kernel...
Error No 15009: Failed to download the micro-Kernel
Error No 15019: Download() failed

Can someone please help me out with this, thanks.
Refugio Debruine
Cycling the power on my vci 100 by leaving it turned on but unplugging and replugging the usb cable to my laptop did the trick.

I have yet to give the controller a serious test run, but initial indications are that it's working great.

Cheers for all the hard work making this possible!

Darvin Knorr - Sons Of Aurora
Director/Promoter/DJ
Area 709 Recordings

DJ Nokturnal
Zenon Records
http://www.myspace.com/nokturnalispsytrance
Shaquana Wesselhoff
@Bampistolwhip
Hey mate thought I'd clarify this one or try to, first of all both firmware versions on the vci have nasty or annoying bugs, the jog ramp up bug for 1.1 and duplicate buttons on 1.2,
one is obviously a performance issue (the jog goes bonkers)
the other is comfusing, pressing the fourth fx button lights up another button. any way you look at it both these issues can potentially cause problems in a live set.
The WHY:
I have upgraded to 1.3 and eliminated those problems and also improved performance and features using the DJ TT mappings. It may not change the universe around you but getting it will in my opinion and experience make the VCI 100 a more reliable unit.
The HOW:
In most cases (including my own) people have had trouble with the update for three reasons
1 they didnt follow the video closely enough (I myseelf forgot to actually put the vci in boot mode so of ourse the update failed)
2 They didnt extract the file before trying to apply it
3 Faulty Upgrade Kit (this on is pretty damn rare, I have only heard of it through 3rd-4th party)
Also you can alternatively take the unit to your dealer with the firmware version and get them to do it for you.

Either way mate, in all honesty the added features and bug squashing are pretty essential in my opinion, and if you do run into trouble the DJ TT people are pretty amazing at support.
Jovan Whitbey
I Don't want to sound sassy, and I'm probably a little ignorant on this one, but why should I upgrade my the firmware on my standard VCI-100? Beyond just fixing bugs, what else does it do that the 3.5 mapping doesn't do?

I've got the SE overlay and Traktor Pro, but on the mapping section of the website it said that the latest mapping worked with all versions of the VCI-100 but best with the 1.3 firmware. Well obviously things work well when they're all upgraded and bugless, but that was a little ambiguous, so I was wondering if someone could offer some helpful advice. Why should I upgrade my firmware if I'll get (virtually) all the functionality of the SE without dropping the $30?

What exactly will I miss?

Not to mention the fact that I have no experience with electronics or upgrading so seeing the amount of people who've had issues (if not simple issues, issues nonetheless) is a little unnerving for a noob.
Anibal Dupes
I've recently installed 1.3 on my VCI-100, and everything works fine, except that the left jog wheel still has the ramp-up issue. For example when using Fader FX mode, if I tap and spin the left jog wheel, and take my hand off, the effect only turns off when the wheel stops turning, not when I take my hand off.

The right jog wheel behaves as expected - the effect turns off as soon as my hand leaves the jog, regardless if the jog is spinning or not.

I'm using the 3.5.1 mapping.

Anyone else get this?
Leeanna Ayla
First time through third time I got to where it said communication complete then the software would crash. Reinstalled the software and changed the delay value in the FTDAdvancedSetup.exe to 1000 and it all went through like a charm. And just for future info I used a Dynex DX-UBDB9 USB to serial cable from Best Buy on com 4 on a Mac Book Pro running Windows XP SP3 in Boot camp.

Now, has anybody seen my masking tape?
Mariela Marcantel
I read that a lot of people had problems after upgrading to Firmware 1.3. I also had this problem with the pitch pend jog wheel....wit the plate...i know now what the problem was....i didnt use my VCI because of this problem for a long time. Today i opened again the VCI 100 and i saw that i didnt plug in of the cables which i did disconect....on the tutorial Ean says unplug it temporarly....I believe that beacause everyone follows the instructions 1 to 1 and at no time its said in the tutorial to plug again the cable....a lot of people just forget it...and thats the problem i believe most of you guys have with the jog wheel..

My VCI 100 SE is now working great....and after editing the new mapping i know it will be great..

I am in Love

All the Best, Oliver Little Martinez
Shaquana Wesselhoff
Got it to work after a couple of tries and throwing my ego (since I feel like an idiot at this time lol) on the floor I'll say this, to ensure successful update make sure you switch the controller on when its time to install the firmware, I didnt for the first 7-8 tries.... lolol.

Worked like a charm when i finally realised what i was doing wrong Very nice DJ TT!!! loving it so far
Elnora Wisegarver
I found you have to make sure everything is tight flat and has good connection and dont forget to turn on the vci .
Jamie Carotenuto
My update fails each time I try it says "Error No 15024: Boot failed" any idea?
Elnora Wisegarver
well i walked into radio shack and low and behold they had one so tomorrow im going for it thanks
Mack Rehberger
I had the same problem the 1:1 cables where male to male or female to female. I bought them both and hooked them up together, no problems at all.
Elnora Wisegarver
OK here lies my problem I have searched hi and low for a serial cable all i can find is a male to male ,no male to female ,But i have found a female to female adapter will this work or can i buy a female to female serial cable and hook up the 2 together
Earline Ardito
Hi, i have a problem , i do the firmware upgrade , but the ramp up problem continues, what i have to do ?? Thanx !
Misty Narby
Originally Posted by iancairns01iancairns01
ean in yor video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0dcr...eature=channel at 2mins 44secs in, this page doesn't pop up for me to install the downloaded firmware, its the screen after the one that says boot mode, how do i get it open? i'm stumped i've everything open infront of me , don't know what to do next, i hope your on-line now!!! quick please!!
I have the same problem, theres no window available to select the firmware file and i cant find any solution. I
Rex Cirne
So I've bought a VCI-100SE second hand and I'm a little confused as to whether or not the previous owner has upgraded to 1.3. It was a normal VCI-100 for which he bought an overlay and the knob pack.

When I press the button above right of the left jog wheel (labeled "copy to C" on my not up to date overlay) the button changes colour when depressed. According to the OP that should mean I have 1.3 correct? However the fourth effect button seems to double up functionality with the "juggle" button (top right of the unit on my overlay version). So I'm confused... do I have 1.3 or not?
Albina Califano
Would it be possible to get an higher pitch-fader resolution (10-bit) by a modifyed firmware?maybe on the next firmware upgrade
Or is there a limitation by the VCI 100 Hardware?
I own a DIY firmware kit; and I need to know if this will happen, if not then I'm selling my KIT (Portugal only)
thank you
Darius Masciangelo
Originally Posted by lewdelesion
Maybe if I quote myself, I'll get attention...
Lew, sorry, I am not too sure but if you go at it logically you might get results, I just made sure I had the serial cable plugged into PC first, then into firmware module, then plugged it into VCI. Then I opened the software and ran the steps as shown in the youtube video, it automatically picked up that the device was plugged into COM1.

I believe the only thing I did differently was that I had the cable and firmware module plugged in before I ran the software although I didn't turn the vci on until I was ready to flash it. Not sure then if that would make a difference as the computer would not know anything was attached to the serial cable if there was no power to it, I believe.

Not sure what would happen if you turn on your vci before opening the software but then I wouldn't wanna screw about with something as expensive as this controller!

Are you fully sure your serial cable is not actually null modem? I don't know how you would be able to tell though, i guess if the firmware software is detecting it then it must be the right kind, not much help I'm afraid, sorry

EDIT: The previous posts about this error all seem to relate to the device not getting into Boot mode before flashing, can you make sure the pcb is properly seated before you turn it on and verify that it is definitely in boot mode before you start the flash sequence? Maybe noob comments but usually probs like this are due to simple stuff not being quite right.
Roygan Chy
Originally Posted by lewdelesion
Okay, well if a serial extension cable will work, then what could be causing this 15024 error?

It seems as if the software is not connecting at all with the upgrade chip. I've plugged the USB into numerous sources, unplugged and replugged and all that. But still it seems like I can't connect.

Any advice to confirm my computer is seeing the chip?
Maybe if I quote myself, I'll get attention...
Albina Califano
Originally Posted by Checker55
Hello Ean and the DJTT-Community,

I
Eleanore Faraco
Nice work Shifty! Downloading now ...

THANKS AGAIN
Kathy Elburn
UPDATE

Found it here

<< Back to DJ TechTools' VCI-100 FAQReply

Copyright 2012-2023