Home :: DJ TechTools' VCI-100 FAQ :: Common VCI-100 Firmware QuestionsReply
Common VCI-100 Firmware Questions
Posted on: 20.08.2008 by
How do I update my firmware?

Please visit this post to learn how to update your firmware:
http://www.djranking s.com/2008/08/1...-100-firmware/

If you have problems please visit this thread:
http://www.djranking s.com/community /sho...=7732#post7732

Which firmware version does your VCi-100 have?
Version 1.1
the firmware with the "ramp up problem"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2Y509VQVEQ

the jog wheel touch sensor turns off when the wheel stops turning, not when you release your finger.

Version 1.2
-VCI-100's with a green sticker on the back are firmware version 1.2
- this version solved the ramp up problem but still has several bugs including
* the fourth FX buttons send out the same midi message as the right headphone cue button.

Version 1.3
The firmware found in all VCi-100SE controllers that was designed by Ean Golden.

You can tell if you have 1.3 by following these steps.

1) connect your vci-100 to a computer but dont start traktor.

2) Click the button that is at the top right hand corner of the left jog wheel (its next to the filter knob for deck A).

3) If this button's light toggles on and off then you have 1.3 (the same button on the right deck will not toggle on and off.

Here are a few of the changes made in 1.3

general improvements:

* Eliminated the problem where the 4th FX buttons trigger other buttons (cue)
* added midi in functionality to the loop buttons
* added a note on to the jog wheel in scroll mode

performance:

* turned the filter knobs into double knobs (0-127 on the left and right side)
* added a "freeze function" to the bottom of each fader and top of the fx knobs. this sends out a 127 message only at the end of the movement
* added inverted messages to the faders (this allows an effect to be turned on by turning the fader down- not possible otherwise)
* added unique values to the FX buttons (these were used for direct FX selection- now added in Traktor Pro)
Daren Masso
Originally Posted by djfbus
Ok - this is driving me nuts now. I understand that getting a connection problem will not allow the firmware to write - but I'm getting a write success message! I've done all the following:

connecting serial and then usb in the correct order
lower the baud rate to 9600
complete reinstall of FDT and start again
suspending the VCI so no buttons pressed during boot mode
ensure PCB is properly seated
changed serial port name from COM1 to COM3 - really clutching at straws now.

pFoKuS seems to have had a very similar problem - but I could not understand how this was solved.

I've seen some posts where there are 5 or 6 lines of image written to the device (going 1.2 to 1.4) - does the fact that I've just got 3 indicate a problem? Also similar posts show that the write took way longer than my 16 seconds - is this a possible problem? (I doubt this as lower baud to 9600 caused 56s write).

Anyone out there had similar problems and more importantly have the solution?!

Believing the write to have worked I applied the v.3 overlay and now am stuck with a fw1.2 VCI with a v.3 overlay - utter pants!

HELP!
I'm having exactly the same problem...very frustrating!

Did you manage to solve this issue?
Leeanna Ayla
Originally Posted by pFoKuS
I believe my upgrade was applied but it would be great to know if there is any way to 100% tell.
Maybe this is telling enough?

DaveX posted this related to the light test:
Bonus #1
========

Did you know that there's a factory test mode hidden in every VCI ? It's used in the factory to test all the buttons, faders, knobs and LEDs.

With 1.4 firmware: While your VCI is off, hold RIGHT ECHO+PLAY buttons (VCI-100SE mapping) and turn it on.

With previous firmwares: While your VCI is off, hold LEFT ECHO+PLAY buttons (VCI-100SE mapping) and turn it on.
============

For me I am able to get to the light test by holding the Right Deck's echo + play buttons while powering.

Maybe that is conclusive?

Thanks in advance.

Paul
Sounds conclusive to me, Are you able to use Fader FX mode?

Originally Posted by Chrisaxeman
Hi, I completed a button mod and a 1.4 firmware update two months ago, all seamed fine but on the odd occasion when hitting fader fx mode traktor would crap itself. Now it appears the whole controller crashes and losses all connectivity to the pc, i have tried it on two other laptops and used different usb cables but still fails. please help!
Try setting the out port to NA. If that works you may be able to use Drew's fix. PC only though.

http://www.djranking s.com/community /showthread.php?t=17497

Hi,
Yet in use and with the various tests (RHS SYNC button does not toggle) the VCI seems to be 1.2 still?
You should be testing the LEFT sync button.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Frehvs6aJjA
Randal Biza
After a lot of time fiddling around and trying to install FW 1.4, I would stress something I read several pages back. If you're getting time out errors, try a different USB power source. Nothing was happening for me with my VCI plugged into my Macbook. Then I plugged the USB into my PC for power and everything worked. Huzzah!
Elnora Wisegarver
I Flashed my vci when it first came available been using it for a while.Now tsp2 come out I upgrade Installed tsp2,downloaded tsi for it for vci it didnt work.Checked to see if I was stil in 1.4 mode and to my suprise i was not. So this caused the tsi not to work . I had to reflash my vci yesterd back to 1.4,why would it become unflashed , did i hit some buttons that would cause this please let me know so i dont do it again . Thank You
Daren Masso
Ok - this is driving me nuts now. I understand that getting a connection problem will not allow the firmware to write - but I'm getting a write success message! I've done all the following:

pFoKuS seems to have had a very similar problem - but I could not understand how this was solved.

I've seen some posts where there are 5 or 6 lines of image written to the device (going 1.2 to 1.4) - does the fact that I've just got 3 indicate a problem? Also similar posts show that the write took way longer than my 16 seconds - is this a possible problem? (I doubt this as lower baud to 9600 caused 56s write).

Believing the write to have worked I applied the v.3 overlay and now am stuck with a fw1.2 VCI with a v.3 overlay - utter pants!

HELP!
I'm having exactly the same problem...very frustrating!

Did you manage to solve this issue?
Sybil Bothof
Hey, if or when are the firmware upgrade kits returning to the store, cheers! Or does anyone want to lend me theirs. Im however probably rather far as in New Zealand, but if anyone can help that would be awesome!
Lashon Koos
thanks Chris,

I did test with that one - I get my LHS / RHS muddled on times (dyslexia)...

...still no joy. I'll press on or take an alternative route.

Paul
Leeanna Ayla
Originally Posted by pFoKuS
I believe my upgrade was applied but it would be great to know if there is any way to 100% tell.

Bonus #1
========

Did you know that there's a factory test mode hidden in every VCI ? It's used in the factory to test all the buttons, faders, knobs and LEDs.

With 1.4 firmware: While your VCI is off, hold RIGHT ECHO+PLAY buttons (VCI-100SE mapping) and turn it on.

With previous firmwares: While your VCI is off, hold LEFT ECHO+PLAY buttons (VCI-100SE mapping) and turn it on.
============

For me I am able to get to the light test by holding the Right Deck's echo + play buttons while powering.

Thanks in advance.

Paul
Sounds conclusive to me, Are you able to use Fader FX mode?

Originally Posted by Chrisaxeman
Hi, I completed a button mod and a 1.4 firmware update two months ago, all seamed fine but on the odd occasion when hitting fader fx mode traktor would crap itself. Now it appears the whole controller crashes and losses all connectivity to the pc, i have tried it on two other laptops and used different usb cables but still fails. please help!
Try setting the out port to NA. If that works you may be able to use Drew's fix. PC only though.

http://www.djranking s.com/community /showthread.php?t=17497

Hi,
Yet in use and with the various tests (RHS SYNC button does not toggle) the VCI seems to be 1.2 still?
You should be testing the LEFT sync button.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Frehvs6aJjA
Lashon Koos

HELP!
Lashon Koos
Hi,
Either I'm very confused or something is not working, can anyone give me some pointers please?
I'm updating from 1.2 straight to 1.4 via serial to serial straight through cable using Win XP and FDT 4.05. I follow the steps in the how to video and after running the software get the message below, which indicates to me that it was successful? Yet in use and with the various tests (RHS SYNC button does not toggle) the VCI seems to be 1.2 still? Anyone with a similar problem / what was the solution?

thanks

Fletch

What FDT reports:

FCF Settings Applied: H8/3052F, (C:\Program Files\Renesas\FDT4.05\kernels\ProtB\3052\Renesas\1 _2_00\)
FDT API initialised: version 4, 05, 00, 008
FCF Settings Applied: H8/3052F, (C:\Program Files\Renesas\FDT4.05\kernels\ProtB\3052\Renesas\1 _2_00\)
Clock Frequency (External) = 24.0000MHz, Clock Mode = 0, CKM = 1, and CKP = N/A
Connecting to device 'H8/3052F' on 'COM1'
Configuration:
'BOOT Mode' connection - using emulated interface
Opening port 'COM1' ...
Loading Comms DLL
Loaded Comms DLL
Initiating BOOT SCI sequence
Attempting 9600
Received immediate response from device: 0xAA
Using micro-Kernel : 'C:\Program Files\Renesas\FDT4.05\kernels\ProtB\3052\Renesas\1 _2_00\uGen3052.cde'
Downloading and verifying micro kernel...
Device is erasing...
Erase Timeout value set to 21 seconds
Erase Successful
micro-Kernel download successful
Sending inquiry for getting line size
Buffer size has been set to default (128 bytes)
Sending selection of device command
Selection of Device - Device selected, code 0302
Sending selection of clock mode
Selection of Clock Mode - Clock selected, code 0
Changing baud rate to 38400 bps
Set baud rate value = 38400
Downloading main kernel 'C:\Program Files\Renesas\FDT4.05\kernels\ProtB\3052\Renesas\1 _2_00\Genm3052.cde'
Main kernel download complete...
Connection complete
Processing file :"C:\Documents and Settings\rupert\Desktop\VCI100-DaveX-1.4.mot"
Operation on User Flash
Downloaded the operation module
Writing image to device... [0x00000000 - 0x0000907F]
Writing image to device... [0x00009080 - 0x0000917F]
Writing image to device... [0x00009180 - 0x00009AFF]
Data programmed at the following positions:
0x00000000 - 0x0000907F Length : 0x00009080
0x00009080 - 0x0000917F Length : 0x00000100
0x00009180 - 0x00009AFF Length : 0x00000980
38.75 K programmed in 16 seconds
Image written to device
Disconnecting
Disconnected
Shery Fetherston
I GOT IT - I GOT IT

@All - pls make sure, that u have installed your USB -> Serial Driver!

1. Connect your VCI to Pc - do not take it on.
2. Install the Driver USB -> Serial (The Name is on the Cable, or the Serial itself)
3. Run the FDT and choose the COM Nr. for your Serial -> USB
4. Look the Video =P
5. Flash it and it will work!

-SORRY FOR MY BAD ENGLISH, IM FROM GERMANY
Shery Fetherston
Hi, today i had becomme the Firmware Kit.

But im become the Error No 15024: Boot failed

Im reading all the posts, but im already become this Error.

-Im usning a USB - Serial Calble....

Pls help me =P
Ruthie Pinkham
Thanks.

Anyone know when the Update Kit will be back online in the store?
Georgene Kiess
yes you can
Ruthie Pinkham
Hi,

Can I update my old second hand VCi-100 1.1 straight to 1.4?
Georgene Kiess
What version of traktor are you using?
Ena Collyer
Verona Joblin

Bonus #1
========

============

Thanks in advance.

Paul
Georgene Kiess
thats the same as my upgrade to. would also likr to know if it has taken. Kinda gutted to because only got my VCI 100 MK1 two weeks ago and it didnt have green sticker on the back. it must be one of the last units around so thought it would easy be 1.2 FW.
Verona Joblin
Here is what I received.
I am still unsure if I have applied the update.

Clock Frequency (External) = 24.0000MHz, Clock Mode = 0, CKM = 1, and CKP = N/A
Connecting to device 'H8/3052F' on 'COM4'
Configuration:
'BOOT Mode' connection - using emulated interface
Opening port 'COM4' ...
Loading Comms DLL
Loaded Comms DLL
Initiating BOOT SCI sequence
Attempting 9600
Received immediate response from device: 0xAA
Using micro-Kernel : 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Renesas\FDT4.05\kernels\ProtB\3052\Renesas\1 _2_00\uGen3052.cde'
Downloading and verifying micro kernel...
Device is erasing...
Erase Timeout value set to 21 seconds
Erase Successful
micro-Kernel download successful
Sending inquiry for getting line size
Buffer size has been set to default (128 bytes)
Sending selection of device command
Selection of Device - Device selected, code 0302
Selection of Clock Mode - Clock selected, code 0
Changing baud rate to 38400 bps
Set baud rate value = 38400
Downloading main kernel 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Renesas\FDT4.05\kernels\ProtB\3052\Renesas\1 _2_00\Genm3052.cde'
Main kernel download complete...
Connection complete
Processing file :"C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\VCI1001_4\VCI10 0-DaveX-1.4.mot"
Operation on User Flash
Downloaded the operation module
Writing image to device... [0x00000000 - 0x0000907F]
Writing image to device... [0x00009080 - 0x0000917F]
Writing image to device... [0x00009180 - 0x00009AFF]
Data programmed at the following positions:
0x00000000 - 0x0000907F Length : 0x00009080
0x00009080 - 0x0000917F Length : 0x00000100
0x00009180 - 0x00009AFF Length : 0x00000980
38.75 K programmed in 546 seconds
Image written to device
Disconnecting
Disconnected

Thank you for your help.

Paul
Leeanna Ayla
Doesn't sound like it. Try again, there should be a success message.
Verona Joblin
1.2. Green sticker on the back and I hadn't upgraded yet to 1.3.

I don't believe the upgrade took. However I didn't get any errors.

I tried the test for 1.3 where you turn on the unit powered via USB and don't have Traktor running. When I click the button right next to the Filter cut knob on the left deck it doesn't turn off.
Leeanna Ayla
Were you on 1.3 or 1.2 before this upgrade?
Verona Joblin
Hi Everyone,

Is there a sanity check that we can run to ensure the upgrade worked properly.
There were no error messages, and I believe it has been updated but I would like to verify.
This was an upgrade to firmware version 1.4.

Thanks!!

Paul
Georgene Kiess
Nice one 'Photojojo'. Got serial cable from DJTT with chip. Hoping it goes ok. VCI here tom, will take it apart straight away and upgrade, then place on overlay. Wam Bam, hopefully. Hope not Wam B.... UH OH. Thank you for plug.
Leeanna Ayla
You remove the chip after the upgrade and plug the plug back into the slot that you unplug to plug the chip in. is that enough plugs? You might want to try and find a computer with a serial port on it in case you need it for the firmware upgrade. USB to serial cables usually work, but sometimes they don't.
Georgene Kiess
Yes! Firmware upgrade kit and Overlay Arrived this morn. I live in N. Wales and took a week to arrive. I'm impressed because i bought VCI 1oo MK1 2 days before from England and am still waiting. Thanks for the stickers to guys, nice touch. Hope the VCI arrives today. Good that am starting straight with the SE instead of having to change the way you work from say Factory standard to SE. Stoked guys. Concise, Efficient,Informative, Clever, and good looking, what can I say, you got it goin on. All hail the guys who give us the ,Technical Tools to Jockey those Discs. Have a drink on me guys, you earned it. I take it Ean you have some kinda background in writting code and programming to reverse engineer the 100. Take care. Peace Love and Happiness. Oh and of course Rocking Beats.
Georgene Kiess
Wanted to get one of your VCI 10 SE's but was gonna cost just short of 200 bucks to have it brought into UK due to VAT and import Tax.
Georgene Kiess
Oh and one more thing, mAXIMUM PROPS to man like Ean and dem at DJTT. Great service this, as I said newby to digital and its you guys that got me hungry again, new creative possibilities. Just like ableton you guys know what gear rocks. Just not liking the probs other people have had with upgrade situation. Noticed on video that software is something like 4.00 wereas link is 4.05 does it make difference using a more up to date version of rennasis software or not. Got both to be safe, one from vid and one from link. Peace
Georgene Kiess
Hey guys. you prob believe this is stupid question but have ordered upgrade kit, just waiting for it to arrive. VCI 100 MK1 coming tom. Not gonna use till I place overlay on and upgrade to FW 1.4. Question is once upgraded I take it you remove the chip after instalation or do you leave it still attached inside. i know silly I know but been a vinyl head for years just getting into yhis digital thing. Peace Love and Happiness Yall.
Marty Schleter
Originally Posted by rcolbourne
How to adjust FDT to work with USB to Serial cables. In the directory which you installed FDT, there will be a file called "FDTAdvancedSetup.exe". You can use this file to adjust the delays sent by FDT.

Essentially, a USB connection is way quicker than a serial connection and as such, sometimes your connection will be too quick for the software. The connection gets ahead of the instructions and the instructions get lost resulting in time outs.

So, back to FTDAdvancedSetup... go into this, you will see two boxes you can click on: "connection settings" and "configure serial port...". Click the "configure serial port..." box. In here, you will see a box "enable serial port delay fix". You want to make sure that's checked. Then where it says delay value, enter 1000 or something (1000 worked for me, you may need to go higher depending on the cable). Disregard where it says the lower the value the better, that doesn't really apply to us as we're just downloading the file, not doing live programming.

This should fix all those time outs and connection errors when using a USB to serial adapter.
Exactly what I needed, THANK YOU!
Pearlie Mathon
no ideas?
Pearlie Mathon
i believe i killed my vci while trying to update the firmware..or at least fucked her up seriously. the shift/exit button and the load/copy button both don't seem to work anymore. when pressing those buttons the data led does not respond, neither does traktor. i thought i fixed the problem when i removed the screw on the back which says gnd (what does that mean anyway?) but now it's all back not working, with or without the screw.

what did i do wrong?

thanks
Rosalinda Kambouris
Originally Posted by thevinn
The store says "The VCI-100 upgrade kits will be on sale in mid September" does that mean I have to wait? Or is the page outdated?

I got my upgrade kit and followed the steps outlined in the video. However, when I power on the unit the LED lights turn on. Apparently, I can't make it go into Boot Mode. I double and triple checked to make sure the kit is sitting snug on the connector. The only other thing I can believe might possibly be wrong is that I have my COM Port set up incorrectly. ...Or perhaps my Serial Cable is bad. Would either of these things prevent my unit from entering boot mode?
Freeda Chinnis
Is my fader(right-leftjogwheel) working like it should? It's like left or right jogwheel playing. Nothing like 30% of right and 70% left.

Thanks in advance!
Leeanna Ayla
You need to make absolutely certain none of the buttons or jogs are being touched to get the VCI into boot mode. I used rolls of tape to support it, but books along the edge would work as well.
Leta Schwemin
Originally Posted by thevinn
The store says "The VCI-100 upgrade kits will be on sale in mid September" does that mean I have to wait? Or is the page outdated?
I got my upgrade kit and followed the steps outlined in the video. However, when I power on the unit the LED lights turn on. Apparently, I can't make it go into Boot Mode. I double and triple checked to make sure the kit is sitting snug on the connector. The only other thing I can believe might possibly be wrong is that I have my COM Port set up incorrectly. ...Or perhaps my Serial Cable is bad. Would either of these things prevent my unit from entering boot mode?
Leeanna Ayla
Originally Posted by ogama8
I have a USBtinyISP programmer. Could I use this to update the firmware on my 100? If so, what is the pinout that I should have from the 6-pin header?
Thanks!
I don't know if you can use that or not, but I believe this is the info you seek

Cherelle Leazenby
I have a USBtinyISP programmer. Could I use this to update the firmware on my 100? If so, what is the pinout that I should have from the 6-pin header?
Thanks!
Rochell Ulvestad
Problem Fixed!!!

Apparently, my VCI did not like the usb port that was used to successfully flash the firmware which is strange.
I also unplugged the usb from the computer while the VCI was on. After that, all the lights and data being transmitted were active.

<< Back to DJ TechTools' VCI-100 FAQReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy