Favorite Software Synth's?

Home :: Producer tips and DAW information :: Favorite Software Synth's?Reply
Favorite Software Synth's?
Posted on: 06.04.2012 by Larraine Hannum
Just want to get some opinions on everyone's favorite Software synth's. I'm looking into getting a Virus TI desktop but they aren't cheap so while I save up for one it's all about the software.

Personally I've used Absynth, Zorg Legacy collection, Sylenth and ZebraII.

ZebraII is hands down my favorite of the synths I've used so far. Sylenth is a great starter synth, it's very simple to use and the layout is straightforward plus it has tons of presets so you don't have to program your own patches. But ZebraII sounds so amazing compaired to Sylenth it's not even close, also ZebraII can replicate virtually any type of synth you can believe of. ZebraII just takes alot of time because you basically build your own custom patches from the ground up, but it's worth it in the end when you get that fat almost analogish sound.

I've heard great things about Massive, Z3ta (Windows only), Omnisphere, FM8 and Rob Papen's synths but haven't tested any out for myself.

What's your favorite soft synth?
Emelina Paglia
Sylenth and Massive are my favorite ones.
I use Sylenth mostly for melodies and pad sounds and Massive more for bass-lines.
Tomeka Sageman
At the moment Monark is my favorite
Sydney Lashway
Superwave P8 and Performer were two of my absolute fav's. Unfortunately they aren't OSX compatible
Alta Kaopua
ya i use the basics like most people...massive..fm8..absynth.but lemme tell you!!
just scooped up cyclop by sugar bytes! so dope!!
Estella Waber
I still find Razor the most flexible and satisfying bassline synth i've tried
Shakita Salyers
I'm a big fan of the TAL series, I believe each and every one of their synths are great especially since they are free.

I also really like Rob Papen Suboom bass for some serious subs and bass in general.
Renetta Sicurella
NI: Massive, Razor, Scanner XT
Rob Papen; Blade, predator

Massive has gotta be my favourite outta these, just a nice interface to work with - although Scanner XT can give you some quite nasty sounds too
Palma Hanslip
Sub Boom Bass
Massive
Razor

That's my list
Amanda Voelzke
Omnisphere and Synplant is my favorite...............
Jarrett Kightlinger
My favorite is Omnisphere and Synplant are pretty much........
Cindie Brodskaya
Massive, Sylenth, Razor, Nexus (Not a synth, but a ROMpler) is all I use.
Jeannine Drobney
You know what Synth won the top 10 synths for Computer Music? MASSIVE. But they also said it was excellent for dub step and perhaps defining the whole genre.

Still believeing Papen..........anybody want to sell their predator or sub boom bass?
Myrle Tazewell
If Nexus counts, then Nexus, If Thor counts, then Thor, If Massive counts, Then Massive
Jeannine Drobney
I wanted to point this thread to the Computer Music guide that is out "Synths: The Ultimate Guide".

This isssue is packed with soft synth knowledge that I hope to add to my existing knowledge.
IMG_5674.jpg

I am going to buy a soft synth very soon. I like making trip hop, breaks, house, and hip hop so the synths that really intrigued me lately are Rob Papens "predator" and "subboombass"
Saran Sprinkel
Omnisphere
Romelia Stankard
It's decent. The interface is well thought out for mouse use with little sliders unlike most VSTs that use knobs which is cool. I don't know how I would feel about doing more traditional types of sound design with it but for messing around to get weird stuff I like it, I prefer it to NI Razor for additive at least. Haven't used it too much yet.
Dorie Scelzo
After 10 days with it, I'm sold on discoveryPro over Dune. I still need to read the manuals again, but…yeah. It's fun.

Phosphor and I didn't get along. How are you liking it, xone?
Romelia Stankard
I'm looking around for good synths for weird digital types sounds and noise/glitch/alien type stuff.

I've been messing with Audio Damage Phosphor and it is interesting- it's an additive synth with lots of modulation and kind of a fun workflow and can make some crazy sounds.

I'm debating looking for a secondhand Reaktor license since there is a lot of weird granular stuff for it but I just don't like the feel of Reaktor that much and would rather avoid it.

Any other stuff to look at for weird granular/additive/noise/whatever? I kind of want stuff outside the traditional subtractive interface since that's easy enough to cover.
Christel Croak
Originally Posted by Tarekith
Omnisphere and Synplant are pretty much all I use these days.
I'm just in awe! How do you manage to write full songs with Synplant? I feel like I'm playing a video game, planting seeds and hoping I'm going to have a good harvest.
Dorie Scelzo
Never tried it. Might have to, but…meh.

I've been using discoDSP's Discovery Pro for a few days. Apparently it reads and writes sysex to/from nord leads, and it's supposed to be a very similar engine. The thing is pretty cool so far…just a 4-part VA, but I'm liking it okay. Unfortunately, a lot of the parameters are named slightly weird things…haven't taken to re-mapping it in Maschine because I'm not sure if it's worth the work yet.

Still…sounds are fun.
Romelia Stankard
Anyone mess with imposcar?

http://www.gforcesoftware.com/products/imposcar2

It sounds really good- this is Imposcar2 with a custom controller. I like how the imposcar interface is all knob controls so it makes mapping it to a controller with a lot of rotaries nice and straight forward.

that's a gorgeous sounding soft synth.
Sylvia Greener
Congratulations
Romelia Stankard
Nice, I just grabbed an FM8 license for $60 off KVR community s. Really just want it for messing with all the operator combos on sub bass patches- I was getting some cool stuff from the demo in a workflow you can't get in subtractive.
Yukiko Beauvil
or he tried to say Vanguard.
Sylvia Greener
Originally Posted by WhiteApple
Vengeance(reFX)
Vengeance is not a synth?! You probably mean Nexus, right?
Sylvia Greener
Originally Posted by Eric Day
Does NI have a demo for Massive in FL Studio?
NI does have a Massive Demo running 30 minutes each session. It comes as a standard VST plugin which should work with almost every DAW (excl. Reason so there's no need to a FL Studio specific version.
If you one day believe about buying Massive don't forget to consider if buying the whole Komplete 8 bundle would not be a better deal for your money Check it out!
Iluminada Gallelli
As stated in previous posts.. Love Sylenth1. I use the crap out of it.

I use the other synths bundled in FL Studio more to just mix things up than necessity.

Need to try out Massive. I've heard good things about it on and off the community s. Does NI have a demo for Massive in FL Studio?
Sherril Sondergard
Massive, Dune, Albino3, Vengeance(reFX)
Dorie Scelzo
Synplant is probably going to be the next thing I pay for. Either that or Pro Tools 10…not sure which one is going to happen first. The thing is fun and something that you actually can't do in hardware.
Anisa Fourte
Massive is definitely my goto synth, spent the most time working with it and just love it's versatility. Starting to work with FM8 a little more and really want to give Synplant a good try (just downloaded the demo today actually), just seems like a breath of fresh air in the art of synths.
Georgina Schatzman
FM or not, that bassline sounds like something you could easily get from Massive.
Romelia Stankard
Originally Posted by JasonBay
As cliche as it sounds, go for Massive. Easier to program and work with than FM8 in my experience. Or maybe give Razor a try even.
I owned Massive and disliked the interface and sold my license a few months back. I'm not really looking for another subtractive synth- just pure FM for subbass sounds like this-

Is there any competition to FM8 for FM synthesis? I only want it for weird subbass and want something a little more than Operator.

If I could find an FM8 license for $100 or NI had another half off sale I would buy it but it's not worth $200 to me right now.
Georgina Schatzman
As cliche as it sounds, go for Massive. Easier to program and work with than FM8 in my experience. Or maybe give Razor a try even.
Romelia Stankard
But I still believe you should have a go at the modular scene. With the prices coming down the barrier to get into it is getting smaller everyday. Plus you'll have a completely unique and original sound that's all your own. And you can always keep adding to it at minimal cost vs having to buy a whole new synth when you get the itch to splurge
I'm screwed if I ever go eurorack. It's dangerous for people like me.

For soft synths I'm debating picking up FM8, I really only want an FM synth for techy sub bass sounds and don't know of any better options.
Romelia Stankard
To be honest, never looked at the Virus software. That is bloody insane how much they pack in there, I don't blame you for not wanting to map out that hog!
Yeah that's an older third party editor for the Virus B/C not the official one for the Ti. The Ti Control VST is really nice, clean, and straight forward. The virus is a really deep synth and the Ti control is nice to have in addition to the hardware since on the hardware itself there is a lot of menu diving and some things are easier done in ti control- I use both. The Ti control is really well thought out as a compliment to the hardware.

Georgina Schatzman
Originally Posted by voetsch
U-He ACE for that analog sound (believeing of getting me something to take over that part tho).
My mate showed me this recently, really awesome synth. Can't believe of anything better to replace, except for Diva maybe.
Kandra Fagler
my go to synth is sylenth1/Massive/FM8 but lately i've been using rob papen predator a lot - really gritty, grainy synth, good for dub stuff!
Jame Shelling
Rob Papen has a new one called Blade, its a special price offer untill end of May maybe something to have a look at to
Reena Erdei
V. Big fan of NI Massive!

Recently moved from a cracked version of FL Studio when I got some
Michiko Schwin
The TAL stuff is great, esp. enjoying the Juno as well.

I used Massive loads before, but it got replaced by my Blofeld not too long ago.
The other softsynths I use are synplant, for whenever I am unable to come up with anything, FM8, which is hands down the best FM-softsynth, Sylenth for those bread and butter sounds and probably U-He ACE for that analog sound (believeing of getting me something to take over that part tho).

<< Back to Producer tips and DAW informationReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy