Itch - "Elastic" beat grids on the way.

Home :: Anything on the Serato :: Itch - "Elastic" beat grids on the way.Reply
Itch - "Elastic" beat grids on the way.
Posted on: 05.10.2009 by Latia Sotak
Morning!!

I've just been digging through a topic over in the serato community , talking about the upcoming Itch V2.

http://www.serato.com/community /discussion/189475

It looks like Itch is getting elastic beat grids!!

Here's a quote from one of the Serato community 's moderators

Hey Guys,

The beat grid will deal with tracks that have changing tempo's as well, you will be able to to map out bar positions to deal with songs that aren't a constant BPM. If you sync a straight track to something that changes speed either the straight track will change speed to follow or the "funky" track will get kept in time depending on which track is the master and which one is being synced.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Cheers
dylan.
Chasidy Heckenbach
Originally Posted by Jack Bastard
Horses for courses I guess. I still don't get why it's a huge advantage though.
probably a big difference if you are using jogs to scratch or just drop various samples from a track in a few times etc. ofc you could also set a cue for that.

i'm not really sure i see a big advantage with the coloured waveform thing but i do like it. just helps to segment the waveform up nicely etc.

and there's been times when i've been playing (long time ago on turntables only) and had real problems hearing thru my headphones because the track didnt have a clean hihat etc - i'd loved to have been able to fallback to looking at a waveform for those times...
Julissa Serrone
I still don't get why it's a huge advantage though.
ok so you don't get it.

Others do.
Evelia Mcgaffin
I understand. My guess is that it's got a lot to do with how I learned, and what I learned on. Both SSL and ITCH have adjacent waveforms, and I've been visually keeping the tracks in check alongside with what I'm hearing since I began DJ'ing.

I know we can both agree that the ends are more important than the means. The tracks I play, the people I play them to, and the experience I provide for the listeners is the reason I DJ, and my goal is to express this by whatever means I work with best.

Originally Posted by B Linus
The idea is to look at the alignment of the waveforms while listening in with the headphones.

Ears + Eyes > Ears

At least that's how it is for me.
Evelia Mcgaffin
I just struggle to see why you would want to use a less accurate means of lining the tracks up when you have a far superior one at your disposal already, like I said above you already have the headphones plugged in, just use them.

I'm not against this feature, I just don't believe it's a huge advantage.
The idea is to look at the alignment of the waveforms while listening in with the headphones.

Ears + Eyes > Ears

Evelia Mcgaffin
I have these amazing pieces of kit called ears that do a similar sort of thing.
Ah, okay. So, should I use the sync function too? Or is that also compromising my DJ cred?

Seriously?

Sure there is, but I'd hardly describe stacked waveforms as a huge advantage. You're seriously lacking really basic skills if you're reliant on that. Who the fuck mixes without headphones anyway?
I never said I didn't use headphones. I DO know how to beatmatch by ear and clean it up. The point is; while I don't rely on the stacked waveforms they certainly assist me.

I don't care if that completely discredits me, the end result is a good sound.
Julissa Serrone
Originally Posted by GI Trackt
Hey guys, just bought a xone dx (woot!). I'll be new to Serato. From my understanding Itch simply needs to recognize your hardware, correct? Does this mean that anyone with a DX (or other A&H hardware) automatically will get access to the new Itch 2.0 for free?

I won't have to pay anything for full access to sofware, correct? Unlike with Traktor where you have to purchase upgrades etc....

Thanks.
Yes. Got the Serato Forum and sign up for the 2.0 beta and you can download the software. Then when you plug in your controller it will turn the Itch "offline" player from a one deck player --- to a 2/4 deck application.

Jack I hear you, but the waves are a big advantage same as the waves having color. For a while many TP users thought colored waves was crap, "who cares about colors, know your music, etc". When TP got colored waves it people jumped up and down. There is an advantage for to having visual feedback.
Julissa Serrone
Originally Posted by xtianw
except even with elastic beatgrids, their sync functionality is as broken as us politics.

itch is still a beta program, AT BEST
The way Sync works in 2.0 is very different than previous versions.

Itch does not have many bells and whistles, but the way you beat grid tracks is far better than TP.

And Jack, yes we all have ears --- but there is a huge advantage to using software. That's why we use it.

A HUGE advantage ITCH has is the horizontal stacked waveforms that allow you to easily tweak & nudge tracks to create a pretty flawless sound.
Chasidy Heckenbach
probably a big difference if you are using jogs to scratch or just drop various samples from a track in a few times etc. ofc you could also set a cue for that.

i'm not really sure i see a big advantage with the coloured waveform thing but i do like it. just helps to segment the waveform up nicely etc.

and there's been times when i've been playing (long time ago on turntables only) and had real problems hearing thru my headphones because the track didnt have a clean hihat etc - i'd loved to have been able to fallback to looking at a waveform for those times...
Aracely Wosick
you can turn off waveforms in 2.0 and have no visual feedback
Danae Dumler
I dont agree that Itch has the advantage on that point. If you really need visual feedback, Traktor's phase meter is actually far more precise and helpful than stacked waveforms. It's not as obvious maybe but I believe it works far better once you get the hang of it. And it's nice to be able to turn it off when you want to beatmatch by ear, something serato can't do.
Julissa Serrone
I still don't get why it's a huge advantage though.
ok so you don't get it.

Others do.
Evelia Mcgaffin
I understand. My guess is that it's got a lot to do with how I learned, and what I learned on. Both SSL and ITCH have adjacent waveforms, and I've been visually keeping the tracks in check alongside with what I'm hearing since I began DJ'ing.

I know we can both agree that the ends are more important than the means. The tracks I play, the people I play them to, and the experience I provide for the listeners is the reason I DJ, and my goal is to express this by whatever means I work with best.

Ears + Eyes > Ears

Tatum Ansaldo
Holy necrothread batman!
Evelia Mcgaffin
I just struggle to see why you would want to use a less accurate means of lining the tracks up when you have a far superior one at your disposal already, like I said above you already have the headphones plugged in, just use them.

Ears + Eyes > Ears

Evelia Mcgaffin
Ah, okay. So, should I use the sync function too? Or is that also compromising my DJ cred?

Seriously?

Sure there is, but I'd hardly describe stacked waveforms as a huge advantage. You're seriously lacking really basic skills if you're reliant on that. Who the fuck mixes without headphones anyway?
I never said I didn't use headphones. I DO know how to beatmatch by ear and clean it up. The point is; while I don't rely on the stacked waveforms they certainly assist me.

I don't care if that completely discredits me, the end result is a good sound.

I don't really see the point of the coloured waveforms either tbh. Aesthetically they look nice but I don't see what utility they add, a kick looks like a kick, a hihat looks like a hihat with or without the colour.
Julissa Serrone
Originally Posted by GI Trackt
Hey guys, just bought a xone dx (woot!). I'll be new to Serato. From my understanding Itch simply needs to recognize your hardware, correct? Does this mean that anyone with a DX (or other A&H hardware) automatically will get access to the new Itch 2.0 for free?

I won't have to pay anything for full access to sofware, correct? Unlike with Traktor where you have to purchase upgrades etc....

Thanks.
Yes. Got the Serato Forum and sign up for the 2.0 beta and you can download the software. Then when you plug in your controller it will turn the Itch "offline" player from a one deck player --- to a 2/4 deck application.

Jack I hear you, but the waves are a big advantage same as the waves having color. For a while many TP users thought colored waves was crap, "who cares about colors, know your music, etc". When TP got colored waves it people jumped up and down. There is an advantage for to having visual feedback.
Barton Rigazio

Thanks.

Julissa Serrone
Originally Posted by xtianw
except even with elastic beatgrids, their sync functionality is as broken as us politics.

The way Sync works in 2.0 is very different than previous versions.

Itch does not have many bells and whistles, but the way you beat grid tracks is far better than TP.

And Jack, yes we all have ears --- but there is a huge advantage to using software. That's why we use it.

A HUGE advantage ITCH has is the horizontal stacked waveforms that allow you to easily tweak & nudge tracks to create a pretty flawless sound.
Janella Schlappich
impressive feature... need it on traktor asap!!!
Evelia Mcgaffin
Alejandra Drawhorn
no, i just sayin, i appreciate Serato don't forget they are djs then like do mixes with 4 decks with a lot of different kinds and style of musics, contemporary electronic or live recordings musics, i believe its is the mostly interesting to use 4 decks
Leeanna Ayla
So what you're saying is Serato has better sync? That's interesting.
Alejandra Drawhorn
i believe serato's problem is they dont have a good marketing and publicity with then, they dont have lay out pretty and cool like traktor, dont have cool videos like traktor does, traktor is totally hyped, but serato itch clearly is believeing about with improve the 4 decks djing, and dont forgeting any type of djing, not anybody want mix loop flat techno with 4 decks, some people would like mix old stuffs with tempo variations, i dont see a way to do a pretty loop of Primal Scream for example using trakor mixin with other songs with 4 decks
Alejandra Drawhorn
Itch 1.7 already heave the elastic beatgrids, and seams like in 2.0 beta they are improved
Candace Carmouche

Alejandra Drawhorn
Serato Itch is the future, Allen & Heath are seeing that
Sherika Lasee
Originally Posted by fibertuner
I believe that is where the Serato stuff is pretty interesting. I don't own and TTs, but the ability my me to download SSL and go to any club to DJ is very appealing. Also, any other Serato DJ can download Itch, use the same crates, and almost seamlessly transition to my hardware with very little learning curve. The reason why I switched to Itch is the lack of platter support in Traktor, but those colored waveforms have really grown on me. I believe they are much better than the phase meter. I believe as new Itch hardware is released, you will see much more Itch in the UK; especially with the new A&H controller being released. Itch hardware, until now, has been suited mainly to hip-hop DJs.
i agreed with that entire statement
nayit ruiz jaramillo
Originally Posted by rdej47
I find it ironic how Itch is getting beat grids, with a sync function in mind as mentioning the very word auto sync in the Serato community s results in your computer blowing up.
Yeah SSL and Itch are like 2 brothers who dont get on. They are part of the same family but they dont speak to each other.

Im not sure its Serato thats to blame for this attitude. They have tried to keep SSL true to traditional DJing with vinyl which is cool , its the fucking jerks that go "Oh sync is cheating and Traktor is gay".
Serato have obviously realised that this attitude is horse-shit and that their are 100s of 1000s of kids out there who couldnt give a rats ass about Beatmatching and traditional DJing and they need to make a product that reflects the change in times.

Let the girls on the Serato community (and i dont mean all the peeps there cus some are my friends, just the haters) carry on pissing and moaning about Sync and beatgrids, they need something in their lives.

Meanwhile the world keeps turning and we all embrace whatever comes out if it enhances the DJing we do.

2 Decks and a bag of my fave tunes and im happy..!
Traktor and my VCI and im happy..!
Traktor and DVS and im happy..!
Win / Win / Win i reckon.
Fabian Audley
Originally Posted by rdej47
I find it ironic how Itch is getting beat grids, with a sync function in mind as mentioning the very word auto sync in the Serato community s results in your computer blowing up.
those guys over on Serato community s are stubborn IMO. lol. They don't embrace technology. The probably still hand crank their cars and use film in their cameras.
Johnsie Kingrea
Fabian Audley
I believe that is where the Serato stuff is pretty interesting. I don't own and TTs, but the ability my me to download SSL and go to any club to DJ is very appealing. Also, any other Serato DJ can download Itch, use the same crates, and almost seamlessly transition to my hardware with very little learning curve. The reason why I switched to Itch is the lack of platter support in Traktor, but those colored waveforms have really grown on me. I believe they are much better than the phase meter. I believe as new Itch hardware is released, you will see much more Itch in the UK; especially with the new A&H controller being released. Itch hardware, until now, has been suited mainly to hip-hop DJs.
nayit ruiz jaramillo
Yeah on the face of it the Serato solution is cool. But who would actually have SSL on their laptop as their main DJ soft but not own the hardware and the license? How would you get used to using the hardware before gigging with it. Thats the dilemma. The fact that a dj doesnt have to bring the hardware is cool but id probably always want mine with me anyway. Im cautious like that though.

As discussed before this thing of clubs having the SL1 installed is very much a U.S. thing. Its very very rare in UK.

Ive used SSL a few times and i like it. Whats not to like.
I havent used Itch as its not that popular in UK and until i run into someone with an NS7 or VCI 300 im unlikely to give it a whirl.

Ive actually got SSL and Itch on my Mac just in case.
Fabian Audley
Originally Posted by Karlos Santos
Dude your splitting hairs. I dont want to go to a Music Store to demo software, i wanna do it at home on my own VCI (although it isnt supported meh). Also there are no local stores that i can Demo Itch.

I just believe its too limiting. No biggie.
I know... I'm a big advocate of each product. I used to not care for Itch until I tried it and now I see the advantages and disadvantages of both products.

It's just 2 different companies with 2 different philosophies on how tightly integrated their solutions should be. Each has pros and cons. One of my favorite pros about the Serato solution is you can have any number of DJs with any number of laptops use the same hardware. Whereas, with Traktor, every DJ or laptop would need its own license to use Traktor. This is especially useful here in Vegas where every club has one standard setup. A DJ can download SSL and go to ANY club and spin without having to pay for a license. A Traktor DJ would need a license. Or, in my case, my backup DJ can download Itch and connect it to my hardware without the need for a license.

<< Back to Anything on the SeratoReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy