Itch is so close to being awesome!

Home :: Anything on the Serato :: Itch is so close to being awesome!Reply
Itch is so close to being awesome!
Posted on: 10.08.2011 by Carlee Roarke
If serato didn't have the WORST possible business plan for serato itch, not only would it make them a ton of money and become a close contender to Traktor, but it would be awesome!

Does anyone have any insight on how they could possibly believe it's a good idea to make their software free, and charge hardware companies to release controllers compatible with it... Rather than using the model that works great, which is selling the software and letting the public do with it as they want.

Serato itch looks amazing, there's so much potential for innovation in mapping for it. There's so much you can do... But instead they're going with the mac "we will tell you what you want" approach.

They don't even bother to make claims that they are doing it for HD reasons, they're simply denouncing the entire concept of midi, and ignoring it.

Don't get me wrong, if you're a basic DJ that just wants software to work like a traditional DJ set up, by all means, check out Itch. If you want to be at ALL creative with your hardware set up, if you want to be innovative in any way.... You're still stuck with Traktor.... Hell, even Serato Scratch is more versatile than itch for controllers... and Itch is marketed as the controller software.

Anyone else feel like Traktor and Serato are both turning into money-hungry failures, that are totally okay with killing the progress and innovation of the DJ community?
Carlee Roarke
Originally Posted by padi_04
Itch is NOT targeted at controllerists. I don't see that as an issue, neither does Serato.
I know man, all I'm trying to say is that it REALLY easily could support controllerists, and everyone in between, with barely ANY work invested in it, and that if the consumer base were to pressure them, they would bring itch further.

Basically, if you're happy with Itch, I have no idea why you're arguing with me... If I get my way Itch will only get better, it won't effect you at all if you're fine with buying an itch controller and stopping there.... I'm mostly trying to get people who want more than that riled up to pressure Serato into bringing Itch further.
May Artman
Originally Posted by vox5505
I'm some kid that started DJing a few months ago with an RMX, but I want you to believe that I'm actually god's gift to music
Thanks for clearing that up, glad I can move on
Carlee Roarke
Originally Posted by DigitalDevil
What do you even mean by that? Comparing your DJing skill to producers is pretty silly and I doubt you're selling out arenas...
I'm not calling it my DJ skills... I'm not putting a label on it at all. I produce music, and I perform with it and other people's music, using Traktor and a custom mapping.
My success is really not important here. I already said that I'm not going disclose who I am, for the sake of my own career, as well as the fact that it doesn't matter. Pretend I had said all of this about some other guy, I don't care, it was only an example.

Originally Posted by MrPopinjay
Time filler fluff effects are the best way to ruin a good mix.
What an obnoxious, unsubstantiated comment... "ruin"? Be open minded. People like different stuff. In fact, if you hadn't noticed, your antiquated system of playing two tracks is dying out. Look at the newest round of popular EDM musicians. We all use effects, loops, stutters, and tricks/techniques to make a dance floor interesting. Your ancient system of special rules is fading into obscurity.
You keep being a "DJ", I'll keep being a "whatever performer"... Keep all your super-specific rules and prejudices about transitioning between two tracks you didn't write... I'm going to have fun with music.

All I'm asking is that we respect both ways of playing music.
Carlee Roarke
Originally Posted by haze324
Look at the Top DJ's in the world. No one is doing BeatMasher Instant Gratification on a midi fighter over and over in a evening . Sorry, but in the grand scheme of things because someone can map ArmyofMe's wooosh and make a break down sound cool does not mean it was great DJing.
This is what I feel like a lot of us are trying to fight... This old engrained bullshit idea of "what a DJ is". Older people in the scene have this INCREDIBLY specific view of what a DJ does... Pretty much all you're supposed to -physically- do "as a DJ" is mix two tracks together, using little more than EQ...

I don't know what you want to call what I do, I don't even care, I just want to be able to do it... I do everything traditional DJs do, I just do a lot more on top of it, rather than waiting for tracks to progress and riding the EQs. I DO "BeatMasher Instant Gratification on a midi fighter over and over in a evening ", and people love it. Enough that I'm not one of the "top DJs" you're talking about, assuming you mean deadmau5/tiesto etc. But I'm right at the front of the tier right below them... And I got here in about a year. All because I play music creatively. I make the music sound different, rather than playing other people's tracks for people to dance to. (not that there's anything wrong with that, I'm just saying it works well to be different from that)

I don't even want to call props on this in the slightest, I'm not telling you who I am, I just want to show that it's a legitimate way to play music. There are a lot of other artists getting extreme popularity out of just being creative with traktor/ableton. All I'm asking is that the industry believes about people that play in the style we do, cause there are a whole lot of us, and people like it a lot.
Janyce Henningson
Actually No.

I believe some of the "controllersim" super effects stuff is like watching a DMC battle. It's cool to hear some of the stuff but at a gig or in a club it get's old fast.

Look at the Top DJ's in the world. No one is doing BeatMasher Instant Gratification on a midi fighter over and over in a evening . Sorry, but in the grand scheme of things because someone can map ArmyofMe's wooosh and make a break down sound cool does not mean it was great DJing.

Itch needs a few more advances, but not in that direction.
Have you tried Ableton for live remixing/performance?
Also why not just Traktor if it does everything you want. What does Itch do that Traktor doesn't?
Agree totally

Controllerism is one thing - digital deejaying is another
Julissa Serrone
It's fine if you want to be a traditional DJ who uses a digital system, but really? you're on Ean's site.... Have you seen what he does? Don't you believe that's cool at all? Don't you wish Itch could do that? '
Actually No.

I believe some of the "controllersim" super effects stuff is like watching a DMC battle. It's cool to hear some of the stuff but at a gig or in a club it get's old fast.

Also why not just Traktor if it does everything you want. What does Itch do that Traktor doesn't?
Julissa Serrone
Originally Posted by diezdiazgiant
its been said multiple times that mapping for the sp6 is not only on the way but due for an imminent release
+1
Candace Carmouche
Originally Posted by ajrindy
how so? how could this be?
all i can tell you is what my ears tell me.

to my ears, everything has more headroom when played through itch.
Carlee Roarke
Originally Posted by padi_04
Itch is NOT targeted at controllerists. I don't see that as an issue, neither does Serato.
I know man, all I'm trying to say is that it REALLY easily could support controllerists, and everyone in between, with barely ANY work invested in it, and that if the consumer base were to pressure them, they would bring itch further.

Basically, if you're happy with Itch, I have no idea why you're arguing with me... If I get my way Itch will only get better, it won't effect you at all if you're fine with buying an itch controller and stopping there.... I'm mostly trying to get people who want more than that riled up to pressure Serato into bringing Itch further.
Nedra Fresneda
Carlee Roarke
WOW. What a child. You are what's wrong with music performance... seriously, I have no idea why you DJ-types want to hate each other...

I really don't care what you believe of me or my career. I only brought up my own success as an example of the fact that performance-style DJ-whatevers have a legitimate scene, getting way more popularity than the people Itch is catering to.

If you really need to discuss it, yes, I started with a RMX about a year ago... WHICH I SAID. Using the mapping including mostly beatmashing and a whoosh knob, which I ALREADY TOLD YOU ABOUT.
Fucking ignore anything I've said about myself... If I wanted to, there are so many "I'm infinitely more successful with music than you'll ever be" cards I could be pulling right now, but I'm just trying to argue about the issue here...
May Artman
I'm some kid that started DJing a few months ago with an RMX, but I want you to believe that I'm actually god's gift to music
Thanks for clearing that up, glad I can move on
Carlee Roarke
Originally Posted by DigitalDevil
What do you even mean by that? Comparing your DJing skill to producers is pretty silly and I doubt you're selling out arenas...
I'm not calling it my DJ skills... I'm not putting a label on it at all. I produce music, and I perform with it and other people's music, using Traktor and a custom mapping.
My success is really not important here. I already said that I'm not going disclose who I am, for the sake of my own career, as well as the fact that it doesn't matter. Pretend I had said all of this about some other guy, I don't care, it was only an example.

Originally Posted by MrPopinjay
What an obnoxious, unsubstantiated comment... "ruin"? Be open minded. People like different stuff. In fact, if you hadn't noticed, your antiquated system of playing two tracks is dying out. Look at the newest round of popular EDM musicians. We all use effects, loops, stutters, and tricks/techniques to make a dance floor interesting. Your ancient system of special rules is fading into obscurity.
You keep being a "DJ", I'll keep being a "whatever performer"... Keep all your super-specific rules and prejudices about transitioning between two tracks you didn't write... I'm going to have fun with music.

All I'm asking is that we respect both ways of playing music.
Kiyoko Wellisch
Julissa Serrone
::hands a beer to digital devil::

It's Friday brother. Enjoy!
May Artman
vox, got any longer mixes posted up with that kind of style? You kinda sound like you're full of shit but I'd love to be wrong on that assumption. As the others stated I'm entertained by DMC and controller routines, but I don't believe I've ever heard/seen a set with that kind of stuff going consistently that aren't terrible for a dancefloor.

and...
I'm right at the front of the tier right below them
Carlee Roarke
This is what I feel like a lot of us are trying to fight... This old engrained bullshit idea of "what a DJ is". Older people in the scene have this INCREDIBLY specific view of what a DJ does... Pretty much all you're supposed to -physically- do "as a DJ" is mix two tracks together, using little more than EQ...

I don't know what you want to call what I do, I don't even care, I just want to be able to do it... I do everything traditional DJs do, I just do a lot more on top of it, rather than waiting for tracks to progress and riding the EQs. I DO "BeatMasher Instant Gratification on a midi fighter over and over in a evening ", and people love it. Enough that I'm not one of the "top DJs" you're talking about, assuming you mean deadmau5/tiesto etc. But I'm right at the front of the tier right below them... And I got here in about a year. All because I play music creatively. I make the music sound different, rather than playing other people's tracks for people to dance to. (not that there's anything wrong with that, I'm just saying it works well to be different from that)

I don't even want to call props on this in the slightest, I'm not telling you who I am, I just want to show that it's a legitimate way to play music. There are a lot of other artists getting extreme popularity out of just being creative with traktor/ableton. All I'm asking is that the industry believes about people that play in the style we do, cause there are a whole lot of us, and people like it a lot.
Janyce Henningson
Actually No.

Agree totally

Controllerism is one thing - digital deejaying is another
Julissa Serrone
It's fine if you want to be a traditional DJ who uses a digital system, but really? you're on Ean's site.... Have you seen what he does? Don't you believe that's cool at all? Don't you wish Itch could do that? '
Actually No.

Carlee Roarke
Really? DJ tech tools is supposed to be the home for controller ism, and so few people on this community understand what you can do with custom mapping.... That nobody agrees that Itch has wasted potential??

If all you want is to emulate two/four decks and a mixer... I don't even know why you argue.... Pretty much any DJ controller/software will work just fine for you. To me, mapping is among most important things in digital DJing. Because of my custom mappings, I can create an incredible live remix sound, and play my controller like an instrument. Using super knobs, super faders, touch sensitive jog wheels, touch strips, etc. You can control parameters of loops, samples, effects, filters, and really be creative, pushing the lines between DJ and producer/ live remixer. Hell, when i was a newbie at my first gigs I used to show up DJ's with five times my experience, just by utilizing Armyofme's sweep knob/ echo freeze and a beatmasher mapped to a jog wheel.

It's fine if you want to be a traditional DJ who uses a digital system, but really? you're on Ean's site.... Have you seen what he does? Don't you believe that's cool at all? Don't you wish Itch could do that? 'Cause it's SO close to being able to, they just wont allow it to... That's all I'm trying to say here.
Julissa Serrone
its been said multiple times that mapping for the sp6 is not only on the way but due for an imminent release
+1
Ernie Walmsley
Have never used itch before and only new to traktor, I'am planing to get the new twitch controller at the end of the month for use with traktor but also to see what itch is like.. Roll on the end of the month!
Candace Carmouche
all i can tell you is what my ears tell me.

to my ears, everything has more headroom when played through itch.
Chasidy Heckenbach
i guess another good reason to buy a twitch is just to be able to try out itch as i'd love to see how it compares. without a supported controller attached you don't get the full functionality from what i read? shame - as it'd be worth just using it with keystrokes (via or not via midi) just to get a feel for the app.
Brock Ricapito
Originally Posted by xtianw

b) somehow, i believe it has better sound quality than traktor
Rebbecca Fennell
c) i believe its hardware partners are holding it back as a product because letting other midi controllers on the platform (for example, allowing midi controllers to control the sp6 sample player) without a license is 100% completely unacceptable to these people. im sure Serato would do it

chill dude, its been said multiple times that mapping for the sp6 is not only on the way but due for an imminent release

i WANT good competition in the market.
i just wish more of the controllers were modular. the V7s are great but theyre heavy, that denon itch controller is "eh", and thats it for the modular itch options. these all in ones are slick looking but are too bound to software updates.
Candace Carmouche
heres my take on itch.

this is based on my experiences and it is perception and opinion.

a) i like itch

b) somehow, i believe it has better sound quality than traktor

c) i believe its hardware partners are holding it back as a product because letting other midi controllers on the platform (for example, allowing midi controllers to control the sp6 sample player) without a license is 100% completely unacceptable to these people. im sure Serato would do it, they have the code to do it from SSL. But the hardware partners are flat saying no.

im sure its profitable. but i believe its hard for the developers over there to see how frustrating those decisions are for end users. releasing the sp6 without a good way to control it was nothing short of stupidity. who wants to use their laptop keyboard or bomes for that? its just stupid stupid stupid from a usability standpoint and not something any serious controllerist would ever want to use in a billion years.

sadly i believe their community s hare clouded their view as theres so many people over there that drink the kool aid jonestown style that they believe releasing it that way was ok.

i WANT good competition in the market. I swear, when they release products like this. It's almost like theyve bought stock in NI and are hoping to double up on it after a split by sabotaging their own products.

it really is a shame.
Cristian Carmona
NI will probably have something even better. like a super s4 with maschine built in.
:eek:
Candace Carmouche
the biggest problem is that the timeline it takes to develop, build, and manufacture a controller really puts them behind the curve.

they needed to be 1:1 with the s4 with this release. they arent. im sure they will be at some point. but by then, NI will probably have something even better. like a super s4 with maschine built in.
Tatum Ansaldo
I've said it before and I'll say it again, ITCH and SSL together in one program with features unlocked by plugging in relevant hardware would be sweet. Would be nice if you could (without translator programs etc) add extra midi controllers and map them. I mean, it's not a licensing issue.

I don't have a problem with the fact that Serato products are tied to hardware. It makes them unpirateable, and as we know Traktor suffers from a hell of a lot of piracy.
Candace Carmouche
the interesting thing about their unique business plan is that as a company, its great for them because they've completely eliminated the issue of piracy of their products.

whats most interesting about that business plan is consumers, arent their customers at all. you might believe you are, but they dont sell you a license. they sell their hardware partners licenses and they can give you a license to their license via their hardware.

so on one hand, serato gets paid for every single copy of serato in use directly from rane, novation, pioneer, vestax, etc..

but on the other, because of this, i believe the hardware partners are the biggest problem.

we wont see a 4 deck + sample player controller until well.... until someone makes one.

unless you want to use a work around like bomes, which is hacky, at best.
Rebbecca Fennell
I'm sure the Rane issue having the licences to SSL and then throwing in Itch with Vestax, A&H, Pioneer, Numark, etc. is the issue.

Yeah itch is definitly meant to expand the serato brand while getting around the little issue of rane being litigous about exclusivity contracts. Development takes time, another update or two and the programs won't have any real difference
Rebbecca Fennell
doesn't that... kill the point of Itch?
No that is the one of the points. The libraries are interchangeable, so my dual v7 setup can be used as a home or mobile setup but if I'm going somewhere with a serato install I can just bring my lappy and hd and I have the functionality.
Julissa Serrone
Originally Posted by jprime
I wonder if ITCH will one day have full midi flexibility. You gotta wonder if they aren't already trying to merge serato SSL and ITCH into one formidable piece of software with midi flexibility.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if this was in the works
I'm sure the Rane issue having the licences to SSL and then throwing in Itch with Vestax, A&H, Pioneer, Numark, etc. is the issue.
Brock Ricapito
Originally Posted by jprime
I wonder if ITCH will one day have full midi flexibility. You gotta wonder if they aren't already trying to merge serato SSL and ITCH into one formidable piece of software with midi flexibility.
doesn't that... kill the point of Itch?
Nedra Fresneda
Frankly I only see 1 point to giving a shit about mapping - youre fucking broke and want to use some cheapy controller. With a numark v7 or any of the itch controllers really what would you want to map that doesn't already have a control for it?
Customization, expanded functionality, etc. The way a manufacturer maps a device ain't always the best. Of course, not everyone wants/needs or cares about it.
Breanne Penge
Rebbecca Fennell
The whole point of itch is to stop wasting time with mappings, if you want mapping go with traktor.

Frankly I only see 1 point to giving a shit about mapping - youre fucking broke and want to use some cheapy controller. With a numark v7 or any of the itch controllers really what would you want to map that doesn't already have a control for it?

I dont get how itch is "miles behind traktor", it was meant to be a simple solution with controllers spanning multiple core audiences. The majority of what I'm seeing from "advanced traktor users" is just lame ass gratuitous use of beat masher and delay. Congrats on being a ponce
Harley Zitka
As a preface: I was an ITCH user from the moment the VCI-300 was available, and used several ITCH controllers up until a few months ago.

That said... ITCH is miles behind Traktor, even with their latest "update". Fact is, that 2.0 was supposed to be out a year ago, and the latest release should have the Bridge and other features that SSL has had for some time now. Serato is obviously more interested in developing SSL, and they have indicated that ITCH isn't a priority.

Their release of 2.0 is an incredibly weak effort. What could possibly take so long to implement in that update? People have been begging them for specific features over the last 2 years, and all they have been able to come up with is a sampler that SSL has had for a few years, and some new colors. Want video and the bridge? Expect another year or two for them to "get around to it".
Barton Rigazio
i'm super stoked to be home in 48 hrs and try out Itch 2.0 on my new Xone Dx that's waiting for me!

<< Back to Anything on the SeratoReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy