New MidiFighters

New MidiFighters
Posted on: 30.04.2011 by Gloria Lemmel
So after reading the most recent blog post and watching the video, I'm really interested in these new Midi Fighters. I'm not going to lie, when I first saw the title, I got fairly upset because I had thought that the original Midi Fighter was getting replaced, in which case the $200 investment that I made a month ago would be out of date soon, but looking at these new standardized decked out MFs I'm excited to see what they can bring to the table. As soon as they come out I'm expecting a huge amount of reviews, so I'm excited about that. In terms of looks I really like the original 4x4 grid look, and hope that the original Midi Fighter isn't phased out after major production of these units comes, so if one of you DJTT guys is reading this, KEEP THE OLD MFs AVAILABLE!!!!

Overall this blog post left me craving more information, and I hope it will come sooner than expected, but one thing that I thought was missing was new functionality. Just something more than the old MF can provide. I understand that the faders and knobs are a good addition, but what can the new MF provide me that I couldn't get from my old MF. That's really the question floating in my brain. I'm still extremely excited to see the full announcement next week, and will be sure to stay posted. If you guys have any thoughts on these new MFs be sure to let us all know, because I bet we're all just as interested as you are in this topic.
Hunter Renslow
Originally Posted by dylooooon
Yes they do alot I agree but $250 is too much, granted they are nice and have full metal cases now and alot of options. I just don't really feel like they are keeping the existing Mf owners all that happy (where's the new TP2 mapping?) nor are they supporting customization and upgrading at a reasonable cost ($250 for a few knobs and a couple buttons and a new case is way over the top). Now I can't speak for everyone here but I have a good feeling most will agree that this is far too expensive for the slight modification and construction it requires to put a new case and a couple of buttons/faders on an existing MF (which already has the expansion ports on it, thus all they have to do is plug in a wiring harness and pop the new case together). I must say that I was REALLY looking forward to these new MFs since they were announced (just check the thread). Now I am pretty disappointed and feel like they are taking advantage of existing MF owners, what happened to the prolonged support of existing loyal customers (EVERY piece of hardware I have EVER bought has come through DJTT because I was more than happy to give them my dollar based on the community and support they have). Now I feel as if this is all changing and the amount of money they can generate is their new driving force (I REALLY hope that I am wrong about this). So if DJTT doesn't release a DIY kit in the next few weeks, then I shall figure out how to do it on my own and will post where to get the supplies along with build logs and instructions, and quite possibly be offering DIY kits (when I get everything all sorted out) with manuals and instructions. Possibly (if there's a demand and DJTT doesn't offer kits) even the option to send your MF to me and have me install everything then ship it back to you. More on this once I get all the logistics figured out but I can say without a doubt it'll be cheaper than $250.
So youre gonna set up a company,offer upgrade kits,support,documentation,warranty,parts and labour,shipping and mappings and youre gonna do this for less than $250 ?

None of this is secret stuff!djtt have given people mouser links to parts for a while now and were very helpful when I had questions about modding my own one!
The answer seems to be in everyones question,you dont need an upgrade kit because you can buy the parts yourself and could since the first midifighter was made!
Djranking s came along and made a midifighter pro to save everyone that wants one time and hard work.
Why do some people feel they've been so hard done by?

A mapping here and there sure... but DJTT use to sell mod kits and upgrade kits, wtf happened to all of that? Why the need to have to send it in or blaze your own trail of customizing to get an upgrade? Can someone answer that for me?
Djtt have released a new product today.You dont have to send back your old one but they are being nice and offering you to trade in your old one incase you prefer the new one!
I have a djm800,would love a nexus or a djm2000 but pioneer the bitches wont even offer me a trade in!Sure I could sell it......just like you can sell your old midifighter!!
Chin Thoroughgood
A mapping here and there sure... but DJTT use to sell mod kits and upgrade kits, wtf happened to all of that? Why the need to have to send it in or blaze your own trail of customizing to get an upgrade? Can someone answer that for me?
Kimberly Lewark
Now I am pretty disappointed and feel like they are taking advantage of existing MF owners, what happened to the prolonged support of existing loyal customers
You mean, like this:
Originally Posted by midifidler
I cant say too much more at this point but the 'classic' wont be going anywhere, we will keep selling and supporting the original MF.
Chin Thoroughgood
Originally Posted by herenow
I agree in that it does appear to add up in costs for people that purchased the original MidiFighters. (I actually have not as I only recently have discovered all of this stuff after years with cdj's and turntables)

You do have to remember though that most hardware companies have little to no software support. These guys have a whole community , community, vids... etc, etc... built around getting the most out of the hardware. Personally I believe it is great! I plan on buying one of these units, not only because they are awesome, but because it is worth supporting a company that makes such an effort in supporting their community.

If I had known about this a year ago I would have bought an original MidiFighter for the same reasons. I know that the $100 off may not seem like much, but its very rare that any hardware company offers any rebate for upgrading. If it is not sufficient, time can always be spent selling the original MidiFighter on eBay or something. Or just keeping it cause it still rocks, as you said its only a few extra buttons and faders (and a knob or 2) on the new ones.... but its what you can do with them, and the ongoing support and awesome community here that makes them worth it.
Yes they do alot I agree but $250 is too much, granted they are nice and have full metal cases now and alot of options. I just don't really feel like they are keeping the existing Mf owners all that happy (where's the new TP2 mapping?) nor are they supporting customization and upgrading at a reasonable cost ($250 for a few knobs and a couple buttons and a new case is way over the top). Now I can't speak for everyone here but I have a good feeling most will agree that this is far too expensive for the slight modification and construction it requires to put a new case and a couple of buttons/faders on an existing MF (which already has the expansion ports on it, thus all they have to do is plug in a wiring harness and pop the new case together). I must say that I was REALLY looking forward to these new MFs since they were announced (just check the thread). Now I am pretty disappointed and feel like they are taking advantage of existing MF owners, what happened to the prolonged support of existing loyal customers (EVERY piece of hardware I have EVER bought has come through DJTT because I was more than happy to give them my dollar based on the community and support they have). Now I feel as if this is all changing and the amount of money they can generate is their new driving force (I REALLY hope that I am wrong about this). So if DJTT doesn't release a DIY kit in the next few weeks, then I shall figure out how to do it on my own and will post where to get the supplies along with build logs and instructions, and quite possibly be offering DIY kits (when I get everything all sorted out) with manuals and instructions. Possibly (if there's a demand and DJTT doesn't offer kits) even the option to send your MF to me and have me install everything then ship it back to you. More on this once I get all the logistics figured out but I can say without a doubt it'll be cheaper than $250.
Hunter Renslow
$250 a few extra buttons, knobs and faders for the trade in program seems to me like a HUGE ripoff . If ANYONE plans to make one of these controllers on their own can you please post a build log so I can do the same (I will also post a build log as well once I start my project) . That way they new ones we make (likely less than 50 bucks for parts) will match the new mappings and we can save some money because I don't have money to throw around like that. Also, where the hell are the upgrade kits? It seems to me like we are getting very limited options for a website SO focused and driven by customization and progression, (just my 2 cents).
Does anyone need to be reminded that the custom ones were more expensive and they tried to make them cheaper!

50 bucks for parts? You might get parts cheap enough but it starts adding up very quick for example pots/faders then dont forget the knobs/fader caps to go with them. Already your over your 50 and thats with average priced parts!
After that get your tops machined and painted/powdercoated and find a strong durable case!
Going by what I saw in the video, the electronics are cleanly and professionally manufactured and the case looks solid, strudy and neater than almost any existing controller. We can be sure that DJTT has tested them extensively and that you will get a good quality and well built piece of hardware.

Unless of coarse the new MF's come loaded with the firmware and DJTT doesn't release them.
There is nothing DJTT have made for the Midifighter that they haven't released to the public - open source source code, schematics, even links to parts on mouser, nevermind the help they've provided on the community s. I don't know of any hardware company that has been this open and supportive of people modding their devices.

You said you will build their own. Guess what? You've been able to do this all along! Why have you not done so already? DJTT has been encouraging people to do just that all along!
Lauretta Ehrhorn
$100 for a used PCB seems fair as new it was $125. The extra $250 for a box and some components that can be sourced far cheaper does seem a lot to me though, particularly as I need two. Anyone know what UK customs on $500 would amount to?
If anyone does build one and would be kind enough to share a build log then please let me know. I believe it's the only affordable solution currently.
Mozella Vay
Okay... I can see you point of view, yes we are paying for convenience and regular updates/firmware/mappings/etc. I would be SOOOOOOOOO happy if they release a DIY kit to continue support for their old MF users who have already paid several hundred dollars for a MF (and continue to regullarly support the community s and store). If the issue is making some extra cash for the time they spent on the mappings/firmware (which I believe they more than deserve for their time and hard work) I would be more than happy to pay for it on a disk/download but $250 for a few buttons, knobs, and a mapping just seems EXCESSIVE, (not to mention I have to relinquish my old MF, a 1st edition that I don't want to part with).

I agree in that it does appear to add up in costs for people that purchased the original MidiFighters. (I actually have not as I only recently have discovered all of this stuff after years with cdj's and turntables)

You do have to remember though that most hardware companies have little to no software support. These guys have a whole community , community, vids... etc, etc... built around getting the most out of the hardware. Personally I believe it is great! I plan on buying one of these units, not only because they are awesome, but because it is worth supporting a company that makes such an effort in supporting their community.

If I had known about this a year ago I would have bought an original MidiFighter for the same reasons. I know that the $100 off may not seem like much, but its very rare that any hardware company offers any rebate for upgrading. If it is not sufficient, time can always be spent selling the original MidiFighter on eBay or something. Or just keeping it cause it still rocks, as you said its only a few extra buttons and faders (and a knob or 2) on the new ones.... but its what you can do with them, and the ongoing support and awesome community here that makes them worth it.
Chin Thoroughgood
Originally Posted by herenow
As far as the impression of the above posters regarding whether the new controllers are a "rip-off", (whether by upgrade or new price) I believe that impression has no basis.

Although there is no doubt these controllers are expensive, they are by far not a rip-off as there is substantial value in these units.

The biggest consideration is the amount of time saved by having the best mappings of any controller available to do things that can only be done in Traktor with a good mapping. This gives everyone that purchases one of these units the opportunity to fully utilize the hardware without spending countless hours messing with Traktor's near useless midi programming interface.

If this is not worth the time saved of purchasing a pre-built one, a kit can always be purchased to build saving some money but costing some time.

Either way you end up with a totally wicked controller with the best hardware components and best mappings available for effects control in Traktor.
Okay... I can see you point of view, yes we are paying for convenience and regular updates/firmware/mappings/etc. I would be SOOOOOOOOO happy if they release a DIY kit to continue support for their old MF users who have already paid several hundred dollars for a MF (and continue to regullarly support the community s and store). If the issue is making some extra cash for the time they spent on the mappings/firmware (which I believe they more than deserve for their time and hard work) I would be more than happy to pay for it on a disk/download but $250 for a few buttons, knobs, and a mapping just seems EXCESSIVE, (not to mention I have to relinquish my old MF, a 1st edition that I don't want to part with).
Kiyoko Wellisch
+ It's a teeny tiny business. You gotta expect it to be more expensive. (not that I plan to be buying one)
Mozella Vay
As far as the impression of the above posters regarding whether the new controllers are a "rip-off", (whether by upgrade or new price) I believe that impression has no basis.

Although there is no doubt these controllers are expensive, they are by far not a rip-off as there is substantial value in these units.

The biggest consideration is the amount of time saved by having the best mappings of any controller available to do things that can only be done in Traktor with a good mapping. This gives everyone that purchases one of these units the opportunity to fully utilize the hardware without spending countless hours messing with Traktor's near useless midi programming interface.

If this is not worth the time saved of purchasing a pre-built one, the components can always be purchased to build saving some money but costing some time.

Either way you end up with a totally wicked controller with the best hardware components and best mappings available for effects control in Traktor.
Chin Thoroughgood
Originally Posted by tyfurious
I hate to be a bitch, since I love this website and community so much, but I'm in the exact same boat. I'm starting my project with or without a build log to follow
Well then were in the same boat we can help each other out as we go, the hardest part that comes to my mind isnt soldering or finding parts/a place to make face plates, its knowing which buttons get what number assignment so that the new firmware/mappings work out without much fuss. Unless of coarse the new MF's come loaded with the firmware and DJTT doesn't release them. Which in my opinion will loose them ALOT of respect AND business for trying to monopolize, contain and control these new MFs and mappings. I really hope they do not do this it will really change the way I believe of my currently favorite website that I often promote and check on the daily.
Gilma Marchini
$250 a few extra buttons, knobs and faders for the trade in program seems to me like a HUGE ripoff . If ANYONE plans to make one of these controllers on their own can you please post a build log so I can do the same (I will also post a build log as well once I start my project) . That way they new ones we make (likely less than 50 bucks for parts) will match the new mappings and we can save some money because I don't have money to throw around like that. Also, where the hell are the upgrade kits? It seems to me like we are getting very limited options for a website SO focused and driven by customization and progression, (just my 2 cents).
I hate to be a bitch, since I love this website and community so much, but I'm in the exact same boat. I'm starting my project with or without a build log to follow
Chin Thoroughgood
Gilma Marchini
Originally Posted by Audeo
They're the boot and reset buttons found on the 1.3 Midifighters, nothing special
Figured it was something like that.
Venetta Cawyer
They're the boot and reset buttons found on the 1.3 Midifighters, nothing special
Kiyoko Wellisch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuamSKIvhcA
Gilma Marchini
Double Post! Question... What are those lil buttons doing on the corner of the MF board?

Gilma Marchini
I'm not very happy with the trade in program... I'm making my own mod now ^.^
Kiyoko Wellisch
Looks very nice. I'm curious at to the quality of the crossfader if they are intended to be used with scratching. Also can it be replaced?

Very cool looking products.
Venetta Cawyer
Originally Posted by fullenglishpint
there we are. Very nice indeed, I believe I'll probably end up going for that horizontal one. Gonna wait til the mappings and videos are released for a bit more info though.

for example, I had a assumed those small mode buttons were for 4 banks external mode but it seems they just load FX presets? Wonder how it's gna turn out.
As you know since the new firnware, the external bank buttons also send out a MIDI note. I believe they just mapped a whole load of presets and parameters to that one MIDI note.
Marva Cupid
Dose anyone know if it will send out the same MIDI messages as the classic mf ?
Lauretta Ehrhorn
Originally Posted by Dave Dj
But what's the difference between "Cue master" and "XX fader" ??? b http://http://www.djranking s.com/st...ghter-pro.html
Nowt other than a mapping i'm guessing. This unit makes sense for me as i switch between controllers and turntables depending on gig and can use the appropriate map to suit.
Lauretta Ehrhorn
I'm sat here battling with self. What to do? These look amazing and i could trade my MF's but with customs it's gonna be pricey. Maybe it's time to get the solder out but the Pro's look, well, professional. I just cant decide between a Pro finish and a cash saving.
I too assumed the 4 buttons were for 4 banks external but i guess fx presets like the VCI make sense.

One question. If i were to send my classics back i'm guessing all DJTT would need would be the PCB? If anyone can shed light on this i'd be grateful.
Christal Jonason
But what's the difference between "Cue master" and "XX fader" ??? b http://http://www.djranking s.com/st...ghter-pro.html
Ivy Adrian
Wish the beatmasher one had 2 knobs like the other ones. I mean since their the same cost its a layout thing. But on the good side, Because its a software based thing, you can just use whatever layout you want.. just gotta deal with differant fader spots :/

hardest part is finding space on the desk next to the cdjs/mixer/sc2000/alt keyboards/novation launchpad
Antony Cavoto
Hey all,

These new Midi Fighters have finally given me cause to end my epic lurking on this community .

The Pro's look awesome, I'll definitely be getting spendy on one. I do have a question though: What is the difference between the XX Fader and the Cue Master (besides the devious 90 degree change in orientation )? Is it just the custom mappings? Can I use one mapping for the other?

Cheers.
Rosita Bourdeaux
Also wished they put in a 1/4" jack for a footswitch. They are pretty friggin awesome regardless
Rosita Bourdeaux
I would like to find a way to use 2 of the extra buttons to switch between deckalized mode and Instant gradification. The other 2 can load the effects presets.
Tatum Ansaldo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPH4DVSRKjs

there we are. Very nice indeed, I believe I'll probably end up going for that horizontal one. Gonna wait til the mappings and videos are released for a bit more info though.

for example, I had a assumed those small mode buttons were for 4 banks external mode but it seems they just load FX presets? Wonder how it's gna turn out.
Kiyoko Wellisch
Whoaaa calm down bro.
Danae Dumler
OMG OMG will there be a kit OMG OMG WANT WANT WANT
Tatum Ansaldo
I have a nasty feeling that in a few months time I'm going to be ending up with both......
Breanne Penge
New Midifighter vs Novation Twitch

When this is a hard decision - life is good
Gloria Lemmel
Originally Posted by Fatlimey
See? Told ya.
Oh yeah, completely amazing.
robert chanda
Originally Posted by Yep.
They are possibly one of the most beautiful pieces of gear I've seen in a while
See? Told ya.
Gloria Lemmel
Okay...I went to the DJTT office yesterday to talk about a possible internship and wow! I saw a few of the MFs on the desk and they look phenomenal! If I had the extra dough to dish out on a new MF I would do so in a heartbeat. They are possibly one of the most beautiful pieces of gear I've seen in a while, and the all black casing just makes them look that much fresher. Really excited to start seeing more of these in person.
Kindra Brawand
Originally Posted by EanGolden
just a heads up- the midi fighter pro post will go up on friday. We want to make sure everything is perfect and there were a lot of details to sort out.
So glad you said that. I was just minutes away from ordering another MF. Definitely waiting now!
Melia Balvaneda
Originally Posted by EanGolden
just a heads up- the midi fighter pro post will go up on friday. We want to make sure everything is perfect and there were a lot of details to sort out.
Can't wait to see the other designs and all the mappings!

Kiyoko Wellisch
The man's right though.

<< Back to MIDIfighter Resources and DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy