MIDI Fighter Spectra

MIDI Fighter Spectra
Posted on: 14.01.2013 by Pearly Revely
At least now we know the name. Commence gearlust.

Courtesy of Prefuse 73 on IG.

MOD EDIT:

Originally Posted by midifidler
Hey just a note for all you you who have brought a Spectra.

Today I noticed a small software bug which affects some (~20%)units, the symptom is that when upgrading the firmware instead of going into boot-loader mode the device just resets.

I have released a firmware update which fixes this on all units, once you update your Spectra with this code the firmware update will work without any issue.

To do this ...

Connect your Spectra, start the utility, click update firmware, when you see the Spectra display its start up pattern pull out the USB, hold the four corner arcade buttons and connect the USB again. The device should now show the blue boot-loader pattern and the utility will continue the update process.
Tatum Ansaldo
Originally Posted by djspacecamp
That's for Monday.
But I start my new job on monday! I won't have endless hours to keep up with the discussion!
Random X
Sad Panda....
Xavier Ponce
Originally Posted by photojojo
Wonder if we'll get any info on this today?
That's for Monday.
Leeanna Ayla
Wonder if we'll get any info on this today?
Adolf Hit
cool - feel free to pm if you want any more advice
Dick Korus
Originally Posted by midifidler
one way would be to use a touch screen

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/8977

It is pretty simple to interface one of these to an arduino.
Thanks a lot! Good and cheap! ill be sure to post pictures when I get around to the build process
Adolf Hit

Adolf Hit

Dick Korus
If they don't build an xy controller and if anyone could let me know what kind of parts and such I would need to purchase (I haven't found a nice xy pad for sale), and could coach me through the build that would be very helpful. I'm interested in building a prototype
Kellie Myrum
Originally Posted by padi_04
Personally, I believe the MF3D will take the place of the Classic and they won't restrict themselves to a facelift.
This is my thought as well. Or at least it would be most logic to expect.
Nedra Fresneda
Personally, I believe the MF3D will take the place of the Classic and they won't restrict themselves to a facelift. Button grid + XY pad is a really expressive combo without the need of waving gear around (I use Maschine + iPad to achieve this)

Disclaimer: I don't have any inside info, just speculating and giving my personal opinion.
Valeri Millstein
XY Pad would be legit... Cool name though!
Libbie Orion
Originally Posted by Stewe
Like ability to program buttons combination that triggers an extra note?
yes but it would have to be different then it currently is for the MF3D.

And since i just saw this reply

Originally Posted by Xtian317
You guys are on the right track, but don't get too crazy with your expectations. Don't forget, it's replacing the MF Classic not the Pro or 3D.
I can see that this may exactly be the new deal (part of it) because if you set each one of the Fighters in a stage or level of release
MF3D would be the highest or latest level
The SPECTRA i guess would have to be a lower model then the 3D and a higher one than its predecessor

Im really anxious to see what its about
Valery Ellick
Originally Posted by dubyou
I'm believeing basically an f1 without all the extra buttons, but that can go hid and midi at the same time. I dunno It seems like an awesome controller idea,
You guys are on the right track, but don't get too crazy with your expectations. Don't forget, it's replacing the MF Classic not the Pro or 3D.
Teresia Janusch
zx spectrum?
Kellie Myrum
Originally Posted by antifmradio
motorized no
but automation that is programmable i would say

Much like the combo effects however it would also include fader adjustments
Like ability to program buttons combination that triggers an extra note?
Libbie Orion
Originally Posted by tekki
You mean like motorized faders and rotary encoders?
motorized no
but automation that is programmable i would say

Much like the combo effects however it would also include fader adjustments
Random X
i was believeing more on the lines of this

From WIKI:

So still on the lines of customization but im guessing more automation is involved in this one too?
You mean like motorized faders and rotary encoders?
Random X
Maybe add a little bit of this to the sides:

Cristian Carmona
Midi Fighter SpecOps would be dope.
Libbie Orion
i was believeing more on the lines of this

From WIKI:

Spectra (singular spectrum) are conditions or values that vary over a continuum.
So still on the lines of customization but im guessing more automation is involved in this one too?
Kellie Myrum
I believe calling it spectra have accent on customization of the unit to costumer's design but we'll see soon enough. Would be cool feature.
Dick Korus
Originally Posted by padi_04
This makes a lot of sense, basically since the pad would be showing a color range as you move or spectrum
If they make it, they'll have my money, If not, I'm deffinatly goint to attempt to make one
Nedra Fresneda
a large xy pad with a full range of colors. Something like this would be cool too
This makes a lot of sense, basically since the pad would be showing a color range as you move or spectrum
Dick Korus
4 arcade bank buttons, some sort of transport control for fx, a large xy pad with a full range of colors. Something like this would be cool too
Meg Reinoehl
Given what the MF3D's capabilities were in relation to the name of the controller, what hints can we draw from the name MIDI Fighter Spectra? I'm believeing that there's some level of functionality that would make the DJTT folks want to name it Spectra, specifically. As much as I'd like an F1-like MF, that name doesn't quite fit with simply adding on more hardware features. I'm believeing there's going to be a pretty high level of customization either on the hardware side of things (a better customizable MF Pro) or some new firmware for the hardware (whatever it looks like) that really lets you get down and dirty with MIDI parameters.
Dick Korus
then wouldnt you want the buttons on the top, below the faders to select
MIDI - on / Off
HID - on / off
Midi + HID - on / Off

Also what id you wanted to use some additional deck controls
(Shift | Flux | Delete | Sample )
things like that?
I feel like either way would be nice, but wouldn't want the top to get too cluttered up.
I also believe that it would be good for one or the other, used as a remix deck controller OR used for fx or deck controls. But we'll see!!
Libbie Orion
I'm believeing basically an f1 without all the extra buttons, but that can go hid and midi at the same time. I dunno It seems like an awesome controller idea,
then wouldnt you want the buttons on the top, below the faders to select
MIDI - on / Off
HID - on / off
Midi + HID - on / Off

Also what id you wanted to use some additional deck controls
(Shift | Flux | Delete | Sample )
things like that?
Dick Korus
so basically an F1 controller with all its current buttons + shift buttons on the sides
yea id like that
Libbie Orion
I'm calling rgb with 4 super line faders, 4 knobs across the top row with 4 bank buttons, and all the side buttons like the 3d. I'm believeing it will have the faders for volume control on remix decks. Knobs for filter and is a new kind of remix deck controller.
so basically an F1 controller with all its current buttons + shift buttons on the sides
yea id like that
Libbie Orion
Watch it be a complete gimmick like a giant joystick in the middle lol
LOL i actually had a discussion with Beabryte about that exact topic and build lol
Dick Korus
Watch it be a complete gimmick like a giant joystick in the middle lol
Kellie Myrum
Originally Posted by Swift
This was made by a fellow DJTT member, possibly something like this would be what your talking about.
This is cool unit, although I don't believe it support remix deck HID firmware.
Wanita Androsky
This was made by a fellow DJTT member, possibly something like this would be what your talking about.
Dick Korus
I'm calling rgb with 4 super line faders, 4 knobs across the top row with 4 bank buttons, and all the side buttons like the 3d. I'm believeing it will have the faders for volume control on remix decks. Knobs for filter and is a new kind of remix deck controller.
Libbie Orion
would be nice if there were knobbs like across the top of the S4 that light up when an effect is ON and you can adjust it either by TILT of twist of the knobb.
Also a mapping to LOCK ON that effect to free your hands

crap, im brainstorming now and im leaking out all my good ideas

i need to keep this and do a mapping instead lol
Kellie Myrum
Either way I'd like to see more knob inputs on Spectra and a increased number of superfaders
Tatum Ansaldo
Also seems like a hell of a lot of work... DJTT are trying to sell large numbers of units these days rather than batches of a couple of hundred like they did 2 years ago, I doubt that individually machined and soldered products are how they see their expansion continuing. I may be wrong though!
Pearly Revely
Originally Posted by Stewe
Possibility to design your own layout?
Seems like a distinct possibility.
Kellie Myrum
Possibility to design your own layout?

<< Back to MIDIfighter Resources and DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy