The Advantages of SYNC

The Advantages of SYNC
Posted on: 01.03.2013 by Jerica Salava
There is a lot of people out there who look at the SYNC button as a negative aspect of DJing.

I always tell DJ's who are starting out to learn to beatmatch by ear. It's extremely important.

If you don't, the train wreck will rear it's ugly head and bite you in the ass. Not all tracks will SYNC and not all gigs will have SYNC.

Before I used SYNC I would find myself concentrating on beatmatching and using most of my brain to avoid a trainwreck. Even though you are great at beatmatching and you believe it's on time, your brain is still "listening" for drift and your hands are ready to spring into corrective mode.

Now that I use SYNC (I press it once to match the BPM and then pitch bend to find the best rhythm pocket), I find myself taking off my headphones with confidence and concentrating on the mix in the monitors. This let's me observe the crowd and fine tune my levels, frequencies, loops and effects without having to worry about drift so much.

Just my observation.

For those who still hate SYNC. The best analogy I could come up with is this:

"It's like a chef looking down on you for using a food processor instead of your knife."

>
Jerica Salava
You guys should read the title of the post again.

Flogging a dead horse?

I have never heard anyone say "my mixes sound better with SYNC."

I figured out why. Because I don't have to waste my time paying attention to drifting. That is my new realization.

>
Yu Santellano
Flogging a dead horse is about right.
There's nothing wrong with the sync button; it isn't a magic button, it doesn't do everything for you. This has been established 400000 times over. At minimum, it makes a computer play two tracks at the same speed, at most it can lock two properly beatgridded tracks into one another. If you know how to beatgrid, and when and why beatgridding doesn't always work, then Sync is a perfectly reliable tool. If you're trying to use sync without proper beatgrids and knowledge of why it may not work, and expecting magic to happen, then of course you will fail. And if that's your expectation of a sync button, then you probably deserve to as well.
I don't buy the fact that manual beatmatching is some sort of right of passage into DJing; if the master DJs of old had buttons on their turntables that would have made two vinyls magically play at the same speed, would they have used it? I'm willing to bet they would.
Joya Heiberg
I'm not a fan of sync, but if your mix is solid, I'm happy. Just keep busy; no wandering off into software abyss.
Lisa Lochotzki
The main advantage of sync is all the hater coming with...like it was with the "Quartz lock" on the SL1200, then with the CD player, Then with the CDJ...

Still the same history, different term. People love what you do? You get booking?

It's all about music.
Farrah Manygoats
I first learned using sync, but I was using phase sync in traktor, and I didn't like how songs would sometimes stutter as traktor tried to match the beatgrids. I've since been going without sync, which is much more enjoyable to me. Something about nudging the platters when a track starts to drift just feels right. Beatmatching purely by ear might take a little bit of time, right now I kind of cheat by using the yellow phase indicator thing. Anyways, sync or no sync... It's all about personal preference and knowing when and if you should use sync.
Ervin Calvery
9227d1359569341-another-dead-horse-thread-deadhorse.jpg

<< Back to Free word - say whatever you like which does not fit under the other topics.Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy