Hardwell DJ set at Ultra! or was he actually DJ'ing.

Home :: Free word - say whatever you like which does not fit under the other topics. :: Hardwell DJ set at Ultra! or was he actually DJ'ing.Reply
Hardwell DJ set at Ultra! or was he actually DJ'ing.
Posted on: 21.03.2013 by Suzi Werrell
Hardwell, the most recent winner of the IDMA for best european DJ and best remixer, posted a pic by rukes today on his instagram, facebook, and twitter accounts. The first thing I noticed was that 3 out of 4 decks are completely visible and show absolutely no tracks loaded in them. The time of the picture looks about 3/4s of the way through his set because of the low sunlight and if you watched the video of his set it was sunny for the first 40 minutes or so. Any CDJ owner knows that the decks only look the way they do in the pic when you power on the player or eject the source of your music whether it be CD, USB, SD, or Link. And there is no reason to do any of the in the middle of a set at Ultra Music Festival. Basically, I believe he premixed his set which is disappointing considering the awards he has just won. However, I still respect him as a Producer/DJ and dont want to take away from his reputation but I just wish he would have put more effort into a set like Ultra because I know everyone on this community would kill for a spot on that stage and we would do it the right way mixing live on the spot.

Heres the pic and Link:
http://photo.rukes.com/umf13b/slides/umf13b_096.html

Let me know what you guys believe.
Alice Kanning
Originally Posted by padi_04
That's the latest Seraktor feature. You mix with a fist pumping gesture, it will analyse how hard you do it and chose a matching banger.
Lol the ad for the midi motion-thingy was under you comment. Guess you have to use that one haha
Joesph Kasian
Originally Posted by Polygon
ftfy
I see this topic is still going on, although that reply did give me a giggle, so fairplay to that Sir.
Dannie Dimora
Originally Posted by jester
i believe the most important question is though: Will he bl3nd?
ftfy
Leon Albornoz
Originally Posted by Koszo
Just want to say hi to everybody, because i'm new to the community .

I Just read through this whole thread...

WELCOME TO THE FORUM HARDWELL
Dannie Dimora

Great post and welcome to the community s!
Frederic Pankiewicz
Originally Posted by Balmain
Their answer on the facebook page of I Love Bass Music :
I would've just put both hands behind my head and done pelvic thrusts the whole time.
Anibal Hoormann
Originally Posted by mdcdesign
Disclosure.

Hello I Love Bass Music and everyone who is talking about this photo... so. here is how and why this happened. Capital FM made us do this show with a backing track playing but allowed the vocalists to sing. They said that they had to trigger the tracks themselves to sync visuals. We pleaded with them for weeks and weeks to let us play fully live or at least let us mix but they just weren't having it. You will also notice this was the same for a lot of the dance acts playing that day (i.e. the duke dumont pic you posted)

It was incredibly frustrating and horrible for us to hear our music at Wembley and not actually be able to play it ourselves, as anyone with any knowledge about disclosure knows that we play fully live seen here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THeSe3XqObQ AND can mix...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTAhk7FXb-I

Notice also that we didnt try and make it look like we were mixing. We left the fucking plug on the floor on purpose, didnt even plug phono leads into the master out, turned all the EQs fully down and the master out AND DIDNT EVEN TAKE HEADPHONES for god sake!! LOL if at any point we touched the mixer it was...well, you try standing infront of 80,000 people and not touching the mixer... go on... its really hard hahaha!

I would also like to point out that people like David Guetta ect who have also been accused of pretending to mix, actually try and cover it up and pretend to blend tracks into one another and hide it... but with us, we played three songs with vocalists b2b with gaps in between, so even if we had been mixing, there would have been no beat matching involved anyway + we didnt try and hide it at all!!

But yeah it was a very strange experience and one we will not be going through again. Capital have been amazing to us and they play our songs roughly 400 times a week across their various networks and we wanted to thank them for all the support.

Guy x
Dannie Dimora
Disclosure.
Bahahahahah that is just so blatant :P
I mean, does it cost anything to just run a power strip to the table? At least make it look realistic...
Dannie Dimora
Originally Posted by Volpe

might they be hardwell's sons?
Oh god.. They have their own website et all...

Well i do appreciate hardwell for his production work. He really is a great producer. Apollo is a fantastic track, as is three triangles.
Alice Kanning
Originally Posted by padi_04
That's the latest Seraktor feature. You mix with a fist pumping gesture, it will analyse how hard you do it and chose a matching banger.
Lol the ad for the midi motion-thingy was under you comment. Guess you have to use that one haha
Joesph Kasian
Originally Posted by Polygon
ftfy
I see this topic is still going on, although that reply did give me a giggle, so fairplay to that Sir.
Ethel Feigum
@mdcdesigns that pic is amazing. New wallpaper on my gig lappy.
Dannie Dimora
Originally Posted by jester
i believe the most important question is though: Will he bl3nd?
ftfy
Anibal Hoormann
Gosh ... are you from his label? Jk.

Well said and good conclusion, I agreed, thank you to let us know your thoughts even if I shared it even before you said it.
Magaly Colonna
OH MY GOD THAT PICTURE hahahaha thanks for the new wallpaper
Latoria Kavulich
I believe the most important question is though: Will he blend?
Doreen Schurle
Leon Albornoz

WELCOME TO THE FORUM HARDWELL
Dannie Dimora

Great post and welcome to the community s!
Suzi Werrell
Well said. Your conclusion is the exact reason why I began this thread as there is really no solid evidence/proof confirming whatever any of us believe. But damn, did it create a good debate. Anyways thanks for your thoughts and welcome to the community s.
Janet Plas

I Just read through this whole thread and i have to start off by saying that the number of posts someone has next to their name certainly doesn't give them any more reason for me to believe them over someone who has under 10 posts. I judge a persons post by what is actually written, nothing else. Basically this thread just turned into a hate war on Hardwell, I mean seriously you guys came across a photo and took it as absolute truth. The first thing i look for when someone is accusing someone else of ANYTHING is FACTS, that's it. If you've graduated from high school at the least you should know this, if not i'm very surprised. it's like a science report or any other essay you would right in school / university, you back up your findings with evidence. The process is simple, you research first, get your facts, compile the facts in a written format, and then come to a conclusion. This process should be exactly the same for lots of allegations, regardless of the issue. Obviously your not going to write a report on Hardwell playing pre-mixed at ultra, but you do still follow the same process. So this thread is about Hardwell's Ultra set being Pre-mixed and that he wasn't dj-ing live, lets take a look at the facts that prove or disprove that topic.

1. The photo of Hardwell, with 3 out of 4 CDJ's not having any track loaded. However the CDJ shown on Hardwell's left has lit up ring, but no Jogwheel in the middle. Also the screens of both CDJ's closest to Hardwell are not visible.

2. We have video evidence aswell, but video of extended periods of time of Hardwell and CDJ's in view at the same time are scarce.

3. Hardwell has been DJ'ing for a number of years.

Those are the two best facts i can refer back to because they are 100% true, and both are very relevant to this topic.

First of all the photo, as soon as i looked at the photo i saw green, then i saw that 3/4 cdj's were not in use. So i go to the video to find the exact moment that closest resembles when this photo was taken. Green starts to appear from the main-stage structure in the transition from "kick out the epic motherfucker" to "Welcome to the Jungle", however the green colour on the crowd still isn't intense enough to be the exact moment when the photo was taken. Then from Dyro's Leprechauns and Unicorns onwards the stage is fully green, but still Lil Jon is next to Hardwell so it is still not possible for the photo to have even been taken yet and it is 52mins 30 secs. VERY far from what the original posted stated was "3/4s of the way through his set". Lil Jon Leaves the stage 52:45-53mins. Any time from now where the stage is shining green, it is possible for the photo to be taken. Hardwell announces his goodbye's to the audience, and we are almost certainly sure from the conclusions drawn that the picture STILL hasn't been taken. Hardwell plays one last song, which is tiesto's remix of get loose. at 55:15, it is visible that the photo is being taken at the very moment, and Hardwell's left hand is in the air which matches with the photo.

So we can conclude the photo was taken at 55:15 from all the points i just made. Since this is the last song of his set it would make sense that he would only have one CDJ loaded with a track. Secondly the 2 outside CDJ's are still not powered. Well its entirely possible that hardwell didnt use those CDJ's in his set, because they are not powered, and again in the video footage i can't see a part where he is using the two outside CDJ's. So we can say they were not even powered for the whole set, 8mins 45 proves this because the furthest CDJ on hardwell's right isnt lit up, and the one directly next to hardwell's right is lit up. Would he have been able to perform that set with only 2 CDJ's? yes i believe so, it wasn't a very complicated set DJing wise. Song Choice, and crowd involvement is much more important than DJ tricks / skills at a festival like that, because the majority of that crowd would not know between a pre-mixed or live mixed song to the next song anyway. So when you first see that photo you believe oh wow 3/4 CDJ's are not even being used, you might believe that the photo is good evidence to use to show other people that Hardwell is playing pre-mixed on 1 CDJ. But due to the photo being taken less than two minutes before his set ends, he wouldn't have anything loaded on the deck to his left because the last track of his set is playing on the deck to his right! Nevermind the other 2 outside CDJ's being off, they were off the whole set. He could of easily performed that set live from just 2 CDJ's.

So from the facts i've just given, theres nothing there to show as hard evidence that Hardwell is playing a pre-mixed set. To be perfectly honest there's no way to be 100% sure or not that he is playing live, or pre-mixed, so i don't convince myself that he played live. In my opinion i strongly believe he played live, but its very possible that it's a pre-mixed set as well.

END.

BUT
Regardless pre-mixed or not, a lot of you are forgetting DJ'ing isn't only about mixing and things you do with the mixer / CDJ. As a DJ you are an entertainer to your audience, and Hardwell pumps up the crowd and has very good song selection which are two HUGE aspects to a crowd that the majority of haven't even used a CDJ / mixer before. He uses the Mic and is jumping around which is in my opinion perfect, because i believe he's being himself, he's moving and acting how he feels and im sure i would do the exact same if i was playing music infront of a crowd like that, i would go nuts! People on here have no-idea what kind of position you are in as a DJ / Producer of that level playing that crowd and nor do i, there would be so many pressures to do certain things this way or that way. I believe even if he was made to play a pre-mixed set, which is highly likely at these festivals as big as these, but obviously we don't know, he would have chose to play live.

I wrote this because i couldn't stand the thought of one person convincing people that he was playing a pre-mixed set, with sources that were pretty weak. Yes i am a fan of hardwell and if i was a DJ, i would be happy to know my fans are backing me up on community s. Don't come to conclusions when you don't have hard facts or evidence to back it up, i'm not saying did or didn't play pre-mixed but there's just no way to know.
Frederic Pankiewicz
Originally Posted by Balmain
I would've just put both hands behind my head and done pelvic thrusts the whole time.
Anibal Hoormann
Disclosure.

Hello I Love Bass Music and everyone who is talking about this photo... so. here is how and why this happened. Capital FM made us do this show with a backing track playing but allowed the vocalists to sing. They said that they had to trigger the tracks themselves to sync visuals. We pleaded with them for weeks and weeks to let us play fully live or at least let us mix but they just weren't having it. You will also notice this was the same for a lot of the dance acts playing that day (i.e. the duke dumont pic you posted)

It was incredibly frustrating and horrible for us to hear our music at Wembley and not actually be able to play it ourselves, as anyone with any knowledge about disclosure knows that we play fully live seen here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THeSe3XqObQ AND can mix...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTAhk7FXb-I

Notice also that we didnt try and make it look like we were mixing. We left the fucking plug on the floor on purpose, didnt even plug phono leads into the master out, turned all the EQs fully down and the master out AND DIDNT EVEN TAKE HEADPHONES for god sake!! LOL if at any point we touched the mixer it was...well, you try standing infront of 80,000 people and not touching the mixer... go on... its really hard hahaha!

I would also like to point out that people like David Guetta ect who have also been accused of pretending to mix, actually try and cover it up and pretend to blend tracks into one another and hide it... but with us, we played three songs with vocalists b2b with gaps in between, so even if we had been mixing, there would have been no beat matching involved anyway + we didnt try and hide it at all!!

But yeah it was a very strange experience and one we will not be going through again. Capital have been amazing to us and they play our songs roughly 400 times a week across their various networks and we wanted to thank them for all the support.

Guy x
Dannie Dimora
Disclosure.
Bahahahahah that is just so blatant :P
I mean, does it cost anything to just run a power strip to the table? At least make it look realistic...
Doreen Schurle

Disclosure.
Dannie Dimora

Ok i quit.
Dannie Dimora
Originally Posted by Volpe

Oh god.. They have their own website et all...

Well i do appreciate hardwell for his production work. He really is a great producer. Apollo is a fantastic track, as is three triangles.
Margaretta Hebenstreit

Dannie Dimora
ok at 37:37 he definitely does a backspin
Dannie Dimora
Originally Posted by Nicky H
I can't - it was said tongue-in-cheek - I just find it funny that you all believe he was playing a mix CD
I don't know.. I'm re-watching the performance right now, and while it's true that when the camera is on him he never once touches a cdj, he may have very well used fader start, sync and a premade playlist.
Janyce Henningson
I can't - it was said tongue-in-cheek - I just find it funny that you all believe he was playing a mix CD
Dannie Dimora
and welcome Mr Hardwell
How can you be sure?
Hank Guidas
Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50
Naaahhhh. I'm sure Hardwell mixed it on his own.

I'm not saying he can't mix. He prob just got lazy and didn't feel like actively mixing. A lot of the DJs consider UMF to be a time to socialize with other DJs rather than actually perform like at EDC Vegas.
That's so far out. Wouldn't be surprised if it was true though
Lorine Glans
lol, nice one - and welcome Mr Hardwell
haha.. if I would be Hardwell I would not care a f*ck what people in here say..
and I probably wouldn't have the account-name 'GermanSkater', as Hardwell is from Netherlands and I don't believe, he's a skater, nor would he have my soundcloud site in his signature x)

Originally Posted by joshimoto
Amen to that. Lol I was waiting for someone with a clear conscience to reply to this. On top of that why would you be unloading all tracks on the cdjs before your last song. Especially when knife party who went on after used an entirely separate cdj/mixer setup on the left side. I know I wouldn't do that. There's also no need to for that since there is 10-20min break between each artist anyways. Ample time to pull out any usb/sd card after the set is complete and most times his manager will take care of that.
Don't know if you ever heard of Rekordbox.. but as you seems to be well-informed guy you probably did.
He created a playlist in there (this is not pre-coded, just the tracks in order so he don't need to search tracks)
I personally use rekordbox to, you can try it too if you have CDJ's from the newer generation..
if the last track is loaded to one CDJ and the other finishes the actual song he would normally load the next song from the playlist.. but as there is no next song it unloads the CDJ.

I'm sorry, but you don't get to </thread> just because you debunked a photo. If you watch the ENTIRE video, it's clear he doesn't do a single transition live for the entire performance.
I watched the entire set a few times, the live broadcast on youtube, the repetition the next day and also the video broadcast, he uploaded by himself.
I would not swear he did every transition.. when I have gigs there are also some tracks which I premix, like if you have 2 different remixes of a song.. you can't mix this live as it needs often some studio tools to sound good..
Also mashups.. I never do them live as it is so much easier to do them in studio.
But to say, Hardwell did absolutely no transition is so wrong.. you better check the video again dude.
And if you still believe he's a liar.. well, nobody forces you to watch/listen his sets and music.
also, I want to see you in front of 100,000 people.. I bet you would not be able to do more than 3 right transitions.. so have some respect of him, hater! He reached so much more than you will ever do.

I personally like his music and his style on stage. If this is a problem for you than go to mummy and cry!
Gaynell Rydberg
Naaahhhh. I'm sure Hardwell mixed it on his own.

I'm not saying he can't mix. He prob just got lazy and didn't feel like actively mixing. A lot of the DJs consider UMF to be a time to socialize with other DJs rather than actually perform like at EDC Vegas.
Doreen Schurle
Originally Posted by joshimoto
Amen to that. Lol I was waiting for someone with a clear conscience to reply to this. On top of that why would you be unloading all tracks on the cdjs before your last song. Especially when knife party who went on after used an entirely separate cdj/mixer setup on the left side. I know I wouldn't do that. There's also no need to for that since there is 10-20min break between each artist anyways. Ample time to pull out any usb/sd card after the set is complete and most times his manager will take care of that.
I wouldn't be surprised if his manager took care of getting hold of the premixed CD as well tbh.
Suzi Werrell
I'm sorry, but you don't get to </thread> just because you debunked a photo. If you watch the ENTIRE video, it's clear he doesn't do a single transition live for the entire performance.
Doreen Schurle
Janyce Henningson
Originally Posted by GermanSkater
Ok, just to end this discussion, it was NOT a pre-coded set.
If you guys would check his broadcast () at 55:15, this is the moment when the picture was taken.
Left arm with spreaded hand in the air, right arm at the djm, evening sky, green light at crowd and blue led (can be seen a few secs later) in the sky.

So, let's see. it was 'Get Loose' (Tiesto Remix) by Noisecontrollers.
You guys notice something? Yes, it was his LAST song, so that is the reason why all visible CDJ's on the picture have no track loaded.

So stop calling him a cheater or liar or what else.
He IS one of the top DJ's in the world. Or do you believe the jury of IDMA would give him his awards if he would play a pre-coded set?

Have a nice day, and stop hating.
lol, nice one - and welcome Mr Hardwell
Lorine Glans
Originally Posted by The Mighty FV
You just owned every. single. little. mug. on this site....great work mate.

Anyone who posted negative comments about this wind your necks in and worry about your own lives.

Mods, lock this thread.
No problem

- Case closed -

<< Back to Free word - say whatever you like which does not fit under the other topics.Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy