iPhone or Android, which do you own?

iPhone or Android, which do you own?
Posted on: 30.01.2013 by Kamala Temple
Just for fun poll. I have a macbook pro, but have always used android phones.
Jefferson Grigor
iPhone 5 ( but only because my phone contract was up for renewal and worked out
Jefferson Grigor
Jefferson Grigor
Jefferson Grigor
Jefferson Grigor
Jefferson Grigor
Dorie Scelzo
<off topic>

Originally Posted by JonathanBlake
Edit - why does 'real music software' not run on Linux?
Because they don't make real music software for linux.

xwax tries. mixxx tries (or did). Bitwig is apparently trying. Ardour tries. There are trackers and DAWs, but none of them are nearly as mature as what's available for OS X and Windows.

We (the kind of dorks who talk about music on internet community s) obsess for days on end about the differences between Serato and Traktor, between Ableton and Logic and Pro Tools and FL Studio and Sonar and SudioOne and Cubase…………between Core Audio and ASIO…

I'd take any of them over what's available for Linux. Linux can be a lot of things to a lot of people, but it's not a viable platform for music creation or performance unless you're wiling to put more work in than it's worth.

</off topic>

FWIW, I've had some weird life occurrences that have made me really want a camera on me all the time. So, as soon as I get the chance, I'm getting another iPhone. In what I'm seeing, the top Android phones don't have cameras as good as the iPhone's…and that's literally all I want. But, I don't plan on doing anything with it besides normal phone things (calling & texting), driving directions, and having a camera on me 24/7. Maybe playing music, but I'm not sure it's worth using iTunes.

So…to change my poll answers:

Phone: iPhone 4s or 5 (probably going to flip a coin)
Tablet: Nexus 7 (about to have its data plan canceled…or be sold.)
Daily use Laptop: Thinkpad running Linux (as soon as it friggin ships…ordered it over a week ago…another week to wait)
DJ/Music Laptop: 13" Macbook Pro (when the new one comes in, I'm going to wipe it and just install Serato DJ and Maschine)
Music Desktop + server: Insanely overkill hackintosh that's also running a small army of VMs.
Lin Danek
Originally Posted by mostapha
I still believe OS X is essential for music, mostly because real music software won't run on Linux. That being said, I hate windows. I don't care how well it runs audio software, I don't want to do things the way you need to in it. Win 8 is a little "better" IME if all you're going to do is web stuff...but you might as well use Chrome

I'm a dork
Fine line between dork and optimising for your needs.

And on that point, you are obviously at a level of expertise (or dorkness ) way beyond me. I personally would rather fill out my tax return than 'browse' the web - so IE is suffice and Windows is really all I know, and with all the tweaks discussed on these community s more than works for me. That being said, having fiddled recently with Traktor 2.6 - S4/X1 and a 13" MBP, I was astounded at the simplicity and level of performance with a basic set-up. I am spoilt with a dedicated ASUS N61JV machine for DJing, that runs nothing but unbloated W7, 2.6 (only) and the latest abomination of iTunes (which I am deleting as we speak to revert to v10.7). I have NEVER had issues with this machine (bar some audio drop-outs since the 2.6 update) but feel that it is the luxury of this set-up that keeps it running so smoothly. As you pointed out in one of your other posts, anything other than a 13" isn't a true laptop, and a 15.4" ASUS is just way too big. So, it's coming down to size, battery life and uncomplicated use. Whether or not it OS X is 'essential for music' is still up for discussion.

Dorie Scelzo
Interesting. Been agonising over a shift to MBP - the more I look into it, the more I like where I am.
I still believe OS X is essential for music, mostly because real music software won't run on Linux. That being said, I hate windows. I don't care how well it runs audio software, I don't want to do things the way you need to in it. Win 8 is a little "better" IME if all you're going to do is web stuff...but you might as well use Chrome OS at that point.

I've got a PC laptop coming in, and my desktop (hackintosh) dual boots OS X and Linux (which is turning into a full SMB-class virtualization stack) as a trial run before I spend money on even more computer hardware. And my MBP still works, though I'll probably end up doing nothing but running Serato DJ and Maschine pretty soon. Now, it's running Linux VMs for normal use under OS X, which I use for music (because I can't get it to even boot linux well thanks to Apple's BS version of EFI).

I'm a dork. I get it. But, my needs are also different from normal people. Me not liking OS X for everything doesn't mean you shouldn't give it a try for music. Me not liking it comes from Apple dropping some of the finer points of Posix compliance that do things like breaking rsync under weird circumstances, the fact that Time Machine won't back up everything even though it works for most people, the fact that it doesn't run an NFS server or Kerberos realm as reliably as Linux can. And in my "real life" I end up having to use a lot of software that works better on Linux anyway. And, well, it can run a web browser just as well. Plus Linux is more fun to toy with. And I havne't found anything on OS X that helps me organize my thoughts/tasks/projects as well as DWM on linux. It's mostly the little things that normal people don't care about.
Lin Danek
Originally Posted by Jester
Will always be the 2nd choice.
Barton Rigazio
Originally Posted by DarioJ
I'd say any Android phone on 4.x for that matter. The platform is finally getting to where it can keep momentum and actually compete with iOS. As an avid Android user I agree with what Steve Jobs said in that "Fragmentation is not the way to go", which was said in the context that, Google's way of distributing OS updates over iOS' single platform updates was better. Android's main downfall is that there are too many manufactures w/ too many versions of the OS out there. It dilutes the user experience. I'd go as far as to say that anything < Android 4.0 was pretty garbage. There are some strong manufactures (Samsung, HTC, LG, ASUS... ) who get that they have to stay on top and offer the best they have (year and year again), to keep that revenue growing, from the people who obsessively buy phones (year and year again).

In the end, to each there own (experience). I'm just happy to see what comes about from both platforms acutally competing.

Sincerely,
MBP and Android fan
+1 Word brotha
Tommy Thiner
I use a MacBook Pro and had an iPhone 4s but now use a Galaxy S4 way better then the iPhone. My wife has an iPhone 5 and wants a Galaxy S4 now after using mine.
Blanche Dumke
I got an iPhone 4s and really would like to get an MBP, but they're so fkn expencive here, can't afford one..
Rena Estabrook
I use an iPhone and a Macbook Pro with Boot Camp for Windows. The Tablet I use often is a Nexus 7. This arrangement works pretty well.
Joesph Kasian
I've had every iPhone since launch day but recently went and tried the Galaxy S4, it really didn't get on with me so I traded it back for the 32GB 5 just so I can trade it in for the 5S when it lands.

Some people are just better suited to certain products - plus my 3 other computers/laptops are Apple so it made sense.
Debroah Hune
Iphone too expensive and a bit of a monopoly, i own the Android.
Yevette Matatall
Had the iphone 4 for nearly 2 years (longest i ever had without loosing) lost it a few months ago and miraculously bounced back to me, only to loose it 1 week later. Decided to change to the new samsung s3, lost it after having it 3 weeks, now im going back to iphone, im convinced ill just get the 4s but im sure ill end up with the 5.
Ninfa Mazariegos
Still rocking my two and a half year old Galaxy S Vibrant with an overclocked 1.2Ghz Toxic Heros Crazy8 2.2 voodoo rom with flashable color themes. Voodoo Sound is the bee's leg connectors! Here's the info on the rom from XDA. http://community .xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1203549 Mine is currently the green theme.
Jefferson Grigor
Dorie Scelzo
<off topic>

Because they don't make real music software for linux.

xwax tries. mixxx tries (or did). Bitwig is apparently trying. Ardour tries. There are trackers and DAWs, but none of them are nearly as mature as what's available for OS X and Windows.

We (the kind of dorks who talk about music on internet community s) obsess for days on end about the differences between Serato and Traktor, between Ableton and Logic and Pro Tools and FL Studio and Sonar and SudioOne and Cubase…………between Core Audio and ASIO…

I'd take any of them over what's available for Linux. Linux can be a lot of things to a lot of people, but it's not a viable platform for music creation or performance unless you're wiling to put more work in than it's worth.

</off topic>

FWIW, I've had some weird life occurrences that have made me really want a camera on me all the time. So, as soon as I get the chance, I'm getting another iPhone. In what I'm seeing, the top Android phones don't have cameras as good as the iPhone's…and that's literally all I want. But, I don't plan on doing anything with it besides normal phone things (calling & texting), driving directions, and having a camera on me 24/7. Maybe playing music, but I'm not sure it's worth using iTunes.

So…to change my poll answers:

Phone: iPhone 4s or 5 (probably going to flip a coin)
Tablet: Nexus 7 (about to have its data plan canceled…or be sold.)
Daily use Laptop: Thinkpad running Linux (as soon as it friggin ships…ordered it over a week ago…another week to wait)
DJ/Music Laptop: 13" Macbook Pro (when the new one comes in, I'm going to wipe it and just install Serato DJ and Maschine)
Music Desktop + server: Insanely overkill hackintosh that's also running a small army of VMs.
Shantay Breheny
i have i phone 4s and lappy of apple
Lin Danek
I still believe OS X is essential for music, mostly because real music software won't run on Linux. That being said, I hate windows. I don't care how well it runs audio software, I don't want to do things the way you need to in it. Win 8 is a little "better" IME if all you're going to do is web stuff...but you might as well use Chrome

I'm a dork
Fine line between dork and optimising for your needs.

And on that point, you are obviously at a level of expertise (or dorkness ) way beyond me. I personally would rather fill out my tax return than 'browse' the web - so IE is suffice and Windows is really all I know, and with all the tweaks discussed on these community s more than works for me. That being said, having fiddled recently with Traktor 2.6 - S4/X1 and a 13" MBP, I was astounded at the simplicity and level of performance with a basic set-up. I am spoilt with a dedicated ASUS N61JV machine for DJing, that runs nothing but unbloated W7, 2.6 (only) and the latest abomination of iTunes (which I am deleting as we speak to revert to v10.7). I have NEVER had issues with this machine (bar some audio drop-outs since the 2.6 update) but feel that it is the luxury of this set-up that keeps it running so smoothly. As you pointed out in one of your other posts, anything other than a 13" isn't a true laptop, and a 15.4" ASUS is just way too big. So, it's coming down to size, battery life and uncomplicated use. Whether or not it OS X is 'essential for music' is still up for discussion.

Dorie Scelzo
Interesting. Been agonising over a shift to MBP - the more I look into it, the more I like where I am.
I still believe OS X is essential for music, mostly because real music software won't run on Linux. That being said, I hate windows. I don't care how well it runs audio software, I don't want to do things the way you need to in it. Win 8 is a little "better" IME if all you're going to do is web stuff...but you might as well use Chrome OS at that point.

I've got a PC laptop coming in, and my desktop (hackintosh) dual boots OS X and Linux (which is turning into a full SMB-class virtualization stack) as a trial run before I spend money on even more computer hardware. And my MBP still works, though I'll probably end up doing nothing but running Serato DJ and Maschine pretty soon. Now, it's running Linux VMs for normal use under OS X, which I use for music (because I can't get it to even boot linux well thanks to Apple's BS version of EFI).

I'm a dork. I get it. But, my needs are also different from normal people. Me not liking OS X for everything doesn't mean you shouldn't give it a try for music. Me not liking it comes from Apple dropping some of the finer points of Posix compliance that do things like breaking rsync under weird circumstances, the fact that Time Machine won't back up everything even though it works for most people, the fact that it doesn't run an NFS server or Kerberos realm as reliably as Linux can. And in my "real life" I end up having to use a lot of software that works better on Linux anyway. And, well, it can run a web browser just as well. Plus Linux is more fun to toy with. And I havne't found anything on OS X that helps me organize my thoughts/tasks/projects as well as DWM on linux. It's mostly the little things that normal people don't care about.
Wilson Durrum
MBP and iPhone4
Breanne Penge
MBP, samsung galaxy S3.
Ashanti Andreacchio
iMac 27", Macbook white, Macbook Pro 15", iPhone 4 and iPad 1. also have a total beaten up Toshiba 11" that is still running fine.
Never ever had an Android phone used to be all Windows mobil and did try Android on some of them.
Len Lukawski
iPhone 4S, Samsung i7 | 8gb | 255 ssd, MBPR 15. The audio/midi performance on osx is head and shoulders above windows but there's also 101 places where osx makes things way more complicated than it is in windows. Actually, I have 2 MBPRs - identical machines. The 2nd one is for work. I lasted about 2 days before I said FffUUUccccKkkk it! And installed Parallels and Win7. I would install Win8 but I don't want to chance $2000 worth of defenestration.
Yong Aptekar
Going to go get a stormtrooper white BlackBerry Z10 this week! Launched in Canada yesterday.
Lin Danek
Originally Posted by Jester
Will always be the 2nd choice.
Latoria Kavulich
Barton Rigazio
Originally Posted by DarioJ
I'd say any Android phone on 4.x for that matter. The platform is finally getting to where it can keep momentum and actually compete with iOS. As an avid Android user I agree with what Steve Jobs said in that "Fragmentation is not the way to go", which was said in the context that, Google's way of distributing OS updates over iOS' single platform updates was better. Android's main downfall is that there are too many manufactures w/ too many versions of the OS out there. It dilutes the user experience. I'd go as far as to say that anything < Android 4.0 was pretty garbage. There are some strong manufactures (Samsung, HTC, LG, ASUS... ) who get that they have to stay on top and offer the best they have (year and year again), to keep that revenue growing, from the people who obsessively buy phones (year and year again).

In the end, to each there own (experience). I'm just happy to see what comes about from both platforms acutally competing.

Sincerely,
MBP and Android fan
+1 Word brotha
Judi Sissel
Originally Posted by oliosky
Beats audio????!!!!!!!! Wow!!!!!!
For casual listening? Really not that big of a deal. I am sure that no one is going to prep their tracks with beats "Sub over-drive, brain melting mode" on. Yes I use it on my phone sometimes

Originally Posted by GI Trackt
Google's LG Nexus 4 yeeeeeee! I don't miss the iPhone at all! For anyone considering switching to Android, the Nexus 4 is the way to go :-) It's been quite hard to get a hold of, but recent news is that they finally got a grip on their supply. As of right now, Google Play store has the Nexus 4 in stock!

Sincerely,
MBP and Android fan
Barton Rigazio
Google's LG Nexus 4 yeeeeeee! I don't miss the iPhone at all! For anyone considering switching to Android, the Nexus 4 is the way to go :-) It's been quite hard to get a hold of, but recent news is that they finally got a grip on their supply. As of right now, Google Play store has the Nexus 4 in stock!
Janyce Henningson
Originally Posted by JZed
My goal is to be the first to take a picture of my Galaxy S4 with my Kontrol S4. It will be glorious
You will deffo be the first to do that

Google Nexus Phone
Macbook Pro for dj
PC for everything else
Lin Danek
If I could run OS X under xen or exsi with VT-d, I don't believe I'd ever buy another piece of Apple hardware at this point
Lin Danek
Originally Posted by oliosky
The embedded sound platform - inserting 3.5mm stereo plug activates the amp/EQ. Delivers phenomenal sound to 'phones/RCA.
Tera Baragan
Originally Posted by LoopCat
I've used a HTC Desire for 2 years and got annoyed with the thing

The problem with the whole Android vs iphone debate is that it depends massively on what handset you have. If you pick the wrong Android phone you can have annoying problems and also be left in the dust updated wise.
I mean when people compare android to iphone its the S2 or S3 vs the iphone. You cant compare it to a bad phone.. gotta be equivalent lol.

Noobs :/
Yong Aptekar
BlackBerry 9700 which I absolutely love, soon to be replaced with the Z10 that I have been stoked on for the last 2 years.

Disclaimer: I work for BlackBerry, and my opinions are not necessarily shared by the company.

They make me say that part.
Dorie Scelzo
I kind of lied in the poll. I don't have a smart phone anymore……my most recent iPhone broke and I chose just not to replace it.

I'm using an Alcatel clone of a nokia brick that I got for $20, and I cancelled my cel data plan.

I answered as having an Android phone because I have a Nexus 7. IMO, it's a hands-down better device than any iPad……mostly because it's cheaper. The WiFi + HSPA+ version was either $300 or $350…and it works as a GPS and dumb internet machine for that price. I wouldn't pay any more for what it does, and I like that it didn't extend my contract.

FWIW, I guess I have both Apple & PC computers. I just don't run Windows. My desktop is a hackintosh…and I'm 90% sold on switching to Linux for daily use (+ Hackintosh for music)…and my next laptop is likely to be a Thinkpad……the size I want…easily upgradable RAM & drive chassis…and WWAN that's supported under linux and contract-free is a better package than anything Apple is offering. And for what I actually do with laptops (now that I have a hackintosh), Linux is a better choice for me……all I lose is a season of Doctor Who and a couple movies that I foolishly bought from iTunes.

Actually, the only reason I'm keeping the MBP is occasional house parties. I wouldn't take my DDJ-SX anywhere else.

If I could run OS X under xen or exsi with VT-d, I don't believe I'd ever buy another piece of Apple hardware at this point……I just don't like where they're going.
Johnetta Olewine
Yup - sleek with a lovely 'feel', great battery life, Beats audio. Windows OS takes some getting used to.

<< Back to Free word - say whatever you like which does not fit under the other topics.Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy