Temple of Boom / Jester's Lab

Temple of Boom / Jester's Lab
Posted on: 15.07.2012 by Latoria Kavulich
Circa 2006. We decide to give mixing a proper go. Brother Picks up the American Audio Console and i'm using a Tower PC and the mighty Psyboard.

The Psyboard. Freshly excavated from the shed.

First party with our epic setup. I can monitor off the PC (5.1 ch) and mix externally off the AA. On Final Scratch is DJ Flux, The founder of the Gathering parties here in New Zealand. Not a bad dude to help us get started!

We start getting gigs in town (and i discover DJTT) so i splurge on a controller, DJ-Tech Imix. Hook up with a great crew and get the use of a DJM600 whenever we want. I start mixing on that.

Brother picks up a DJM600 and CDJ800's. I Finally get a laptop and an Audio 4! AA goes into "retirement".

We get the Wharfedale Pro 15" PA's, Stands etc. Epic wattage.

Skipping ahead a bit. I Flick off the I-mix, get two X1's. Sold Audio 4, Pick up an Audio 6 and Crane Stand.

I pick up a UDG bag and a few bits and pieces to cram in it.

Pick up some nice Chromacaps for the X1's and the DJM600 and pick up a Midifighter 3D

Decide to pick up a mixer of my own. I have to choose between a DJM700 or DNX1600. Guess who won.

"Jester's Lab"

The journey continues .. Questions + comments welcome.
Random X
Yups, that's where it's at!
Latoria Kavulich
Here is the thread if you wan't to follow on the progress http://community .djranking s.com/showthr...1&goto=newpost
Latoria Kavulich
bank 1 is my version of the second fx "flavour" on ean's jam on it mapping for the 3d. I added some stuff and removed others. most of the effects are all superknobs and "sweep" effects. banks 2 and 3 are transport controls and browser functions. work in progress of course but watch this space!

Random X
You'll just have to wait and see.
Kristofer Krauel
Ah I'll look in to that and see how i get on. To be honest i've not even looked at the sample packs so it will give something to be getting on with.

Whats this little something you and Tekki are working on? sounds intriguing!!
Latoria Kavulich
Originally Posted by Toban
Thats a lot of buttons dude

for what do you use the Midifghters?
3D= remix decks
Spectra= something tekki and i are working on

@ koop i have a lot of vengeance/loopmasters sample packs and such so i will be whipping up some percussion packs for the 135-140 bpm zone once the mapping for the spectra is done.
you can use a couple of the standard NI packs with trance, i use the african percussion and i believe there is another one. i just kill all the bass on the remix decks so there are no clashes.
Random X
Them lights sure is purdy!
Armanda Yankauskas
your gear keeps getting more and more fancy! i like
Chas Pulley
Thats a lot of buttons dude

for what do you use the Midifghters?
Kristofer Krauel
Would be interested to see what you come up with in terms of remix packs for trance. I cant for the life of me make use of the remix decks with prog trance/trance etc. But then i'm not really artistic like!!

On a different note I've been invited to Wanaka later this year!! Looks like a cool place.
Latoria Kavulich
well you may see on that pic the blue light on channel 2 is on midi mode (deck c) , so that is my eq's control etc for the remix decks. the 3d is back on remix deck duty as tekki and i are working on a little something for the spectra. so until i get around to making these percussion remix deck packs for trance use , i'll only be using them for house etc.
i really need to sort out a flight case and am due a headphone update too. on the wishlist
Kristofer Krauel
I cry everytime I see your set up!! so many pretty lights!!

At the minute i've just got a mixer. Moving overseas has meant our money has had to go on boring things like furniture and a car. All that should be sorted this weekend so I can then get on amazon for my X1's!!

What are your plans with the Remix Decks? How are you planning on integrating them?
Latoria Kavulich
All ready to go with the Spectra on Remix Deck duty. They threw in a glow in the dark chroma cap fader as well.

Latoria Kavulich
Spectra arrives (finally)

Latoria Kavulich
Originally Posted by Luconia
you're yet to demonstrate the toughness of the crane stand by putting crates of beer on top of it
A lot heavier than beers

Latoria Kavulich
I just picked up a MIDI Fighter Spectra so will do another setup pic once it arrives. Cheers
Latoria Kavulich
Hey mate,

The 3D i just use to jam out some effects when the need arises, i am using a cut down IG type mapping i made more geared toward trance use. When we play together i would just use the 2 decks, sometimes 3.
Margaretta Hebenstreit
nice setup, big fan of standalone mixer and x1s!
how do you use your MF3D? how is it mapped? do you play on 2 or 4 decks?
Latoria Kavulich
Couple of random drunk pics from our gig toevening .

Latoria Kavulich
Random X
Yeah, it really ties the room together!
Latoria Kavulich
The bro there uses straight CD's, old school style. I do have the the pro upgrade/timecode cd's from the audio 6 but as you may see i'm using that still, i have yet to get the soundcard on the x1600 running as smooth as i would like, otherwise it would be one usb into the back and no rca's needed.
@ jojo .. don't diss on my rug dude .. err wallpaper
Leeanna Ayla
Hmmm, I'm not so sure about that wall paper.
Nereida Jasnoch
^you using real CDs and timecode CDs in the same set with a scratch certified mixer ?

Traktor flips out when I put on a real piece of vinyl.
(yea timecode setups, it takes some getting used to for me dude)
Latoria Kavulich

Ru-Bix vs Hair Clippers

I have yet to get a shot of all our gear set up together. this is the typical situation where i basically squeeze one x1 beside the mixer and make the best of it.

Note: DJM600 demoted to dressing table in teh back.
Latoria Kavulich
agreed
Mimi Mahaffee
Originally Posted by Jester.NZ
I've used a lot of mixers .. good ones .. DJM600, 700, 800 etc. Shitty ones .. Behringer DJX700 and others i was too drunk to remember. We've only had this Denon less than a week and all the boys agree (even the ones that have djm700's) that the build quality, feel, sound output, midi implementation, everything on this is FAR superior. Time will tell though huh
Denon for sure make solid mixers. However the djm 700 is utter shite quality.. compared to djm 800.
Latoria Kavulich
Disco mode on the 3D
Random X
Ooooooooh colorful buttons!
Latoria Kavulich
recording the new set.

Latoria Kavulich
next video is uploading now. yes i know my camera skills leave a lot to be desired ha!
Ada Matzkin
get a cameraman! :P great set up... i got rid of my x1 too early... miss it now
Latoria Kavulich
Latoria Kavulich
To be honest, mainly because i haven't had a lot of time on the thing! its all set up etc but i'm just more confident with the a6 until i get some more time with the denon's card.
Yes mate all our gear gets lugged out. I'm not really worried what mixer we use defo prefer my beast though will be a lot easier when i get the FZ12MIX case for it.
Cole Maroto
Originally Posted by Jester.NZ
Depends on the mixer. With the X1600 it already has a built in 4/4 soundcard so you can mix externally without using a whole bunch of cables. I still use the audio 6 with it however. If your mixer does not have a soundcard then yes you will need a soundcard for it.
why do you use the audio 6 with the x1600?

i opted for a vci-400 ege instead of the x1600 with 2 x1s, but now looking at the denons again is making me rebelieve my purchase. i ended up going with the ege because it would be easier for me to bring to the places i want to gig and hook it into an open channel on the house mixer. i can just put it on a stand and get to work, even in crowded booths.

now i'm considering selling my ege or one of my guitars to get the x1600 anyhow. after playing around with internal mixing i just don't really prefer it...what to do, what to do? it just seems so much easier to bring the ege to gigs. do you bring your x1600 out when you play?
Latoria Kavulich
Probably a couple years i'd say. The've been thrashed and still sound great. Usually i leave them at home when we do parties though. The boys have some flasher cans than me lol.
Loyce Mekonen
Nice setup jester! How do you like your Senns 205s and for how long have you owned them? I've had my 205's for 6 months and love them even if they seem kinda flimsy. But I still like to hear opinions on them.
Latoria Kavulich
Depends on the mixer. With the X1600 it already has a built in 4/4 soundcard so you can mix externally without using a whole bunch of cables. I still use the audio 6 with it however. If your mixer does not have a soundcard then yes you will need a soundcard for it.
Tilda Hoage
if i were to do a setup like yours.. a mixer and x1.. do i need an audio interface? or will i be able to hook up a headphone into the mixer to listen to the cue?
Latoria Kavulich
UDG Creator case shows up this afternoon for the soundcard. Now when i stumble home and fall over drunk i wont break my shit hopefully. You could drop this sucker 10ft and nothing would happen to your precious.

<< Back to What have you got? Post some cool photos of your setup.Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy