Temple of Boom / Jester's Lab

Temple of Boom / Jester's Lab
Posted on: 15.07.2012 by Latoria Kavulich
Circa 2006. We decide to give mixing a proper go. Brother Picks up the American Audio Console and i'm using a Tower PC and the mighty Psyboard.

The Psyboard. Freshly excavated from the shed.

First party with our epic setup. I can monitor off the PC (5.1 ch) and mix externally off the AA. On Final Scratch is DJ Flux, The founder of the Gathering parties here in New Zealand. Not a bad dude to help us get started!

We start getting gigs in town (and i discover DJTT) so i splurge on a controller, DJ-Tech Imix. Hook up with a great crew and get the use of a DJM600 whenever we want. I start mixing on that.

Brother picks up a DJM600 and CDJ800's. I Finally get a laptop and an Audio 4! AA goes into "retirement".

We get the Wharfedale Pro 15" PA's, Stands etc. Epic wattage.

Skipping ahead a bit. I Flick off the I-mix, get two X1's. Sold Audio 4, Pick up an Audio 6 and Crane Stand.

I pick up a UDG bag and a few bits and pieces to cram in it.

Pick up some nice Chromacaps for the X1's and the DJM600 and pick up a Midifighter 3D

Decide to pick up a mixer of my own. I have to choose between a DJM700 or DNX1600. Guess who won.

"Jester's Lab"

The journey continues .. Questions + comments welcome.
Tesha Freudenstein
Originally Posted by Jester
Its tax season, so will be finally picking up a badass laptop in a few weeks, looking at some Lenovo and Sony models at the moment.
glad to see that i'm not the only one not using a macbook.
Muoi Odonohoe
Beautiful work Jester, I'll be looking forward to future updates.
Latoria Kavulich
just the audio 6 (force of habit and mainly because its a cointoss which mixer we use most of the time)
Antonetta Wikel
Hey Jester, do you just use the audio 6 when playing out and the soundcard from the X1600 when at home?
Latoria Kavulich
Latoria Kavulich
Thanks mate. Still, would be more than happy with just 1 X1, Soundcard and Mixer
Harvey Mcintyre
Great setup....lots of lovely things to control with...
Latoria Kavulich
Finally picked up a 1 Tb HDD dedicated for music backups. Case is the WD Nomad HardCase

Latoria Kavulich
Here 'tis setup. Just in time for this weekend's show.

Latoria Kavulich
Just ordered me a Pop filter for the show. new mic in a couple weeks
Random X
He's just awesome like that.
Robert Danno
amazing thread - thank you!
Tesha Freudenstein
Its tax season, so will be finally picking up a badass laptop in a few weeks, looking at some Lenovo and Sony models at the moment.
glad to see that i'm not the only one not using a macbook.
Latoria Kavulich
Kellie Myrum
Yeah, I found same little surprise in my Spectra package.
Latoria Kavulich
1 down, 4 to go. That was a freebie with the Spectra order.
Kellie Myrum
Nice! Love the glow in dark Chroma Cap
Latoria Kavulich
Latoria Kavulich
must be gettin' old
Lilliana Perris
Too much Bass?

You must be ill mate!
Latoria Kavulich
Update after using the ATHPRO500MK2's for a week or so ... They are so loud and punchy , ie. so much spl that they bounce off the ears ... i have had to adjust the headphone eq's in the mixer utility, bass reduced by 3db to compensate.
Regular use, through the laptop etc i can handle fine
Latoria Kavulich
updated with the new headphones

Latoria Kavulich
and a quick vid on the new cans.

Latoria Kavulich
slinkydisc when we play together we have the cdj's there as, and when we hook up with mates we would have the 1200's on the desc as well, it can get pretty crazy
the DJM-600 used to be our gig mixer but its been demoted to lounge duty these days lol
the space pussy vinyl was my bro's 30th birthday pressie
Bryon Taglieri
Digging your set up it's basically (minus the midi fighters) what I am using but add 1200's for the occasional time control or vinyl session.

I like the Simon Posford record in the background in the earlier photo I use to play a lot of his tracks back in the nineties they were always killer just louder and better produced his kicks on a big rig were amazing.
Random X
I'm betting the ATs will have you forget your sennies real quick.
Latoria Kavulich
unboxing and impressions video when the ath-pro500's arrive.
R.I.P HD-205's *sniff*
Latoria Kavulich
science in action

Latoria Kavulich
Originally Posted by tekki
So you'll start out with the blue socks?

you bet. standard M-58 microphone, adjustable stand & windsocks (bit of an upgrade from the ACTUAL socks i used for the first live show!)
Random X
So you'll start out with the blue socks?
Latoria Kavulich
windsocks just turned up for the microphone, will get set up soon and show ya what it all looks like in action
Latoria Kavulich
this one

http://community .djranking s.com/showthread.php?t=66916
Antoine Jaffray
I believe I am about to go to the same set up. I really like what you did here. What mapping do you use on the X1's? If you dont mind. Sweet set up!!
Debera Renkes
Fantastic! ever since the X1's were released i've been mixing externally 100%. So when i'm in the lab i can use both for 4 deck control, and when we do a party i could just take 1 X1 & A6 with me, take 2 channels on the house mixer & leave the rest at home, depending on space and if there is a mixer there.
Also, I will be picking up a pair of the new Kontrol stands & swapping out some chromacaps in the next weeks.
Good to know!
I've been rocking a real basic controller for a while and will definitely use this kind of setup.
Latoria Kavulich
Originally Posted by kelvin5
How are you liking the Mixer + X1 set up? Kinda interested in doing the same thing.
Fantastic! ever since the X1's were released i've been mixing externally 100%. So when i'm in the lab i can use both for 4 deck control, and when we do a party i could just take 1 X1 & A6 with me, take 2 channels on the house mixer & leave the rest at home, depending on space and if there is a mixer there.
Also, I will be picking up a pair of the new Kontrol stands & swapping out some chromacaps in the next weeks.
Latoria Kavulich
Originally Posted by kooper1980
Jes, do you still use your 800's much? I've seen a pair on eBay for aus$600. Seems like a decent deal and all ill be using them for is timecode control.
We have the Mk1's ... mostly the brother's bag i must say, i do have the timecode setup but tbh i don't see the point unless the bro wants to use traktor as well. have not even tried the timecode with the X1600 yet tbh
Debera Renkes
How are you liking the Mixer + X1 set up? Kinda interested in doing the same thing.
Judi Sissel
My OCD approves of your symmetry. Looks great man!
Kristofer Krauel
Jes, do you still use your 800's much? I've seen a pair on eBay for aus$600. Seems like a decent deal and all ill be using them for is timecode control.
Latoria Kavulich
Tidied the desk up a bit, to make room for the new broadcast setup (just waiting on the windsocks to arrive in the morning)

<< Back to What have you got? Post some cool photos of your setup.Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy