Switching to Serato?

Home :: Anything on the Serato :: Switching to Serato?Reply
Switching to Serato?
Posted on: 21.05.2009 by Elenor Andreotta
Hey peeps,

So I'm getting deeper and deeper into the DJ rabbit hole and I am seriously reconsidering my options.

I just got a residency at the hottest club on campus + about to drop a load of cash on speakers to DJ private events and I can't afford to have an unstable setup.

My traktor pro has crashed up to 7 times in one gig (yes ive tweaked) and today was the first time I didnt have to restart my laptop during a gig (thank god) but sound did periodically cut out for half a second during some songs.

No offense but I'm starting to feel like my setup is a collection of toys rather than a legit DJ setup.

For example: In my setup I can't tell if I'm clipping. I have no meter except for the little indicator on the top of TP that flags red. Shouldn't I have more control over my music though?

Back when I knew less I thought I would be okay with a VCI 100 and Audiofire 4 but now I'm realizing all the little things that make a DJ's job (making a smooth mix) possible that is causing me to reconsider my setup.

So now that my rant is over can yall tell me why I shouldn't switch to:
Serato
Ecler Nuo 2
(2x) Pioneer CDJ 400
Victor BlueDragon
Not 1 in four months. I played for 4 hours last evening . Running Pro with a beta Darouter, 2 3d's and 2 3m's on a laptop with just the onboard sound. I was scratching and looping like crazy and playing as loud as it would go. The steps described here are important, optimize !

In fact, the only time I've ever had a software freeze up on me while spinning out, I was using SSL.
Fernande Jada
well i
Doug Bieling
I dont believe it just irons out kinks ... mr gates updates do that for us.

This appears to be a multiple operating systems in one put together by johhny. The install file is like 4gb. Theres been a fair amount of stuff shoehorned into it. It aint no sleak stripped down xp at all surely.

I don't believe this will be helping your cause at all, and if you ask people for help i'm pretty sure this is most definately one of the items they would tell you to sort before anything else.

I had traktor 3 running on a 1ghz proc with 512mb ram and it ran ... when you hammered it it almost fell over but for bsic two deck mising it was working. Seriousley get rid of that os or at least install traktor on another machine and test to at least eliminate this as a problem.

G
Elenor Andreotta
It just removes activation and some other xp kinks that bog down the system.

What is Windows XP Ultimate Edition?
Windows XP Ultimate Edition is a custom Windows XP Professional Edition that includes several software integrated as components that in my point of view should of have always been part of windows.
This is not an official release from Microsoft.
nayit ruiz jaramillo
Agreed.
Georgine Thanos
My point being that your processor is barely above the minimum requirements. If you want reliable performance, it needs to be beyond the minimum!
Georgine Thanos
Also, it cold be your processor. According to NI's website, 1.4 Ghz is the minimum processor speed for a PC; 1.66Ghz is minimum for a Mac.
nayit ruiz jaramillo
Pah... i dunno , but it cant help .
Doug Bieling
Ok just looked up info on this XP Ultimate (Johhny edition) and it looks like some hacked version of Windows XP... am i right ?

I believe this could be your issue ? just stick a proper copy of XP on it.

http://www.winxpu.info/

Gav
juan garcia
i believe those computer specs are on the lean side for running pro. i have a similiar laptop that didn't really even like to run 3.3 smoothly.

for stability, esp. on older computer hardware, serato is the clear winner in my opinion but you may be able to increase your latency and explore the crash logs more if you want to stick with traktor.

EanGolden, i would love to see an article on the sound quality of the different programs. In my experience, traktor did not sound the best.
nayit ruiz jaramillo
Right , your mixing internally. Yeah its harder to manage the volume in Pro if your having to push the volume really high cus the Master Volume Meter isnt the best. This is why Richie Hawtins programmer has made him his own on screen Master Volume display which is more accurate (The Traktor 3 Meter was better imho).

You should definitely consider Eans suggestion of mixing externally if you have problems with the VCI but i dont see why you cant control the volume with the Master set at a good limit . It sounds more like your having to push the software volume because the Club System isnt as loud as you would like. There should be enough headroom to allow you to back your levels off so you have plenty of volume left to mix without clipping in Pro.

Switching Software will not be a solution to clipping problems or in fact any problems. Might just be an expensive waste of time.

you can get a very "PRO" sound out of traktor. My self and many,many other pro djs around the world use traktor in large clubs every day. In fact one could argue that Traktor on a software level and a hardware level is actually higher quality.

The problem you are having is related to mixing internally. I would suggest using traktor with an external mixer at home or in the club. You will have much more control over the sound that way.
nayit ruiz jaramillo
Originally Posted by ceezo66

My traktor pro has crashed up to 7 times in one gig
Have you got crash logs. What caused the crashes ?

Sounds like a laptop problem. Your software and hardware are all fine.

Also buying a fancy mixer wont make your mixes "smoother".

Are there no Output leds/levels on the mixer so you dont clip ?
Doug Bieling
Whats this ultimate xp by Johhny ? Who's Johhny ? is he better at making an OS than Billy ? (Billy gates)

Tell me more
Fernande Jada
Originally Posted by compact
ok, i don
Fernande Jada
ps. What optimizations are you talking about? I followed the tweaks in the manual and the thread on this community .
i am talking about setting up your system for realtime audio streaming...the tutorials should be good on this site

just take a look at this guide and make sure you have everything set up right:

http://audiocommunity s.com/windows-xp-optimization.php

also do a latency check with the dpc checker, the link i have postet above.

kind regards.
Fernande Jada
windows xp ultimate by johnny service pack 3

I'm not sure about the limiter but I know traktor also has autogain which isn't very good in my experience.
ok, i don
Elenor Andreotta
ps. What optimizations are you talking about? I followed the tweaks in the manual and the thread on this community .
Fernande Jada
ps.

Setup: Laptop, Traktor Pro, VCI100SE, Audiofire 4
Windows XP Ultimate by Johnny, Service Pack 3
Intel Pentium M, 1.6GHz, 2Gigs Ram
http://www.myspace.com/djczo

ok, i didn
Elenor Andreotta
windows xp ultimate by johnny service pack 3

I'm not sure about the limiter but I know traktor also has autogain which isn't very good in my experience.
Fernande Jada
Hey peeps,

So I'm getting deeper and deeper into the DJ rabbit hole and I am seriously reconsidering my options.

I just got a residency at the hottest club on campus + about to drop a load of cash on speakers to DJ private events and I can't afford to have an unstable setup.

My traktor pro has crashed up to 7 times in one gig (yes ive tweaked) and today was the first time I didnt have to restart my laptop during a gig (thank god) but sound did periodically cut out for half a second during some songs.

No offense but I'm starting to feel like my setup is a collection of toys rather than a legit DJ setup.

For example: In my setup I can't tell if I'm clipping. I have no meter except for the little indicator on the top of TP that flags red. Shouldn't I have more control over my music though?

Back when I knew less I thought I would be okay with a VCI 100 and Audiofire 4 but now I'm realizing all the little things that make a DJ's job (making a smooth mix) possible that is causing me to reconsider my setup.

So now that my rant is over can yall tell me why I shouldn't switch to:
Serato
Ecler Nuo 2
(2x) Pioneer CDJ 400
seems you are having problems with your computer, is it optimized yet for audio applications?! about the "clipping" - isn
Elenor Andreotta
ps.

Setup: Laptop, Traktor Pro, VCI100SE, Audiofire 4
Windows XP Ultimate by Johnny, Service Pack 3
Intel Pentium M, 1.6GHz, 2Gigs Ram
http://www.myspace.com/djczo

<< Back to Anything on the SeratoReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy