Buying a Mac, Buy now or wait for new Pro to drop.

Home :: Anything on the Serato :: Buying a Mac, Buy now or wait for new Pro to drop.Reply
Buying a Mac, Buy now or wait for new Pro to drop.
Posted on: 17.05.2012 by Jenna Skeem
So heres my dillema been having serious issues with my pc so i decided to go mac.

Been researching into macs and discovered that a new MBP Line will be dropping fairly shortly using Mountain Lion.
Do i buy the current late 2011 MBP model and lnow that Serato itch is going to work with lion or wait for the new ones to drop only to discover serato wont work on mountain lion.

Thoughts?

Jay Russ
Rena Estabrook
Originally Posted by padi_04
Did you change the headphone jack behavior to act as an input in the system prefs?
I was believeing the same thing. It wasn't an option.

http://community s.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1389284
Sylvia Greener
Originally Posted by mostapha
The 13" Air is a detector that identifies people with more money than sense.
Exactly what I believe.

11" Air ... smaller size... Ok... But isn't a 11" screen a bit too small?
I personally, would never consider an Air at the moment: Bad specs for way too much money.
Dorie Scelzo
Originally Posted by Sublim&All
13" MBAir.
pthbthbthb

(that was the sound of me sticking my tongue out at the 13" air and making that noise little kids to to make people know they don't like them)

The 13" MBP is 2 pounds heavier and much more of a computer for the same price. The 13" Air is a detector that identifies people with more money than sense.

The entire point of an Air is the 11" screen. I'm really starting to believe a 13" screen is too big to carry and really wish they'd just make an 11" MBP with no optical drive, dual FW800, dual Thunerbolt that would accept 3rd party ram and Sata3 drives with the existing 11" MBA screen.

As it stands…the 11" Air might be good enough. It's just sad that it's more expensive than my existing MBP was a year ago and is less powerful. It's even sadder that I'm considering it because I hate carrying around that huge thing (and it's the size, not the weight that annoys me).
Rena Estabrook
The $30 workaround is even more annoying. Apple really should provide the 13" users the adapter. This is similar to the iPhone 4 death grip but at a much smaller scale.
Dorie Scelzo
Hunh…weird. That's slightly annoying.
Rena Estabrook
Originally Posted by padi_04
Did you change the headphone jack behavior to act as an input in the system prefs?
I was believeing the same thing. It wasn't an option.

http://community s.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1389284
Dorie Scelzo
Yeah…that was a weird decision just to save a bit of space…it took like 10 minutes to figure out.
Nedra Fresneda
Rena Estabrook
Audio In for the 2012 13" MBP does not work.
Dorie Scelzo
I'm considering an Air. I believe the last 13" MBP from right before the upgrade is going to win out because of Firewire and not wanting to deal with USB 3.0 compatibility issues yet, but it's a serious consideration if they upgraded their stock SSDs to something that isn't embarasingly slow.

11" is small, but it's ~1440x800, I believe…which is more real estate than my 13" laptop. Text might get a bit small, but I'm not sure I care.

I really miss the 12.1" non-widescreen Powerbooks. I still believe they were the best compromise between size and functionality.
Sylvia Greener
The 13" Air is a detector that identifies people with more money than sense.
Exactly what I believe.

11" Air ... smaller size... Ok... But isn't a 11" screen a bit too small?
I personally, would never consider an Air at the moment: Bad specs for way too much money.
Dorie Scelzo
between what?

11" Air: 2.4 pounds
13" Air: 3.0 pounds
15" Retina Pro: 4.5 pounds
13" Pro: 4.5 pounds
15" Pro: 5.6 pounds
Linda Chavda
The new mbp are really thin, what are the new weight differences?
Dorie Scelzo
Originally Posted by Sublim&All
13" MBAir.
pthbthbthb

(that was the sound of me sticking my tongue out at the 13" air and making that noise little kids to to make people know they don't like them)

The 13" MBP is 2 pounds heavier and much more of a computer for the same price. The 13" Air is a detector that identifies people with more money than sense.

The entire point of an Air is the 11" screen. I'm really starting to believe a 13" screen is too big to carry and really wish they'd just make an 11" MBP with no optical drive, dual FW800, dual Thunerbolt that would accept 3rd party ram and Sata3 drives with the existing 11" MBA screen.

As it stands…the 11" Air might be good enough. It's just sad that it's more expensive than my existing MBP was a year ago and is less powerful. It's even sadder that I'm considering it because I hate carrying around that huge thing (and it's the size, not the weight that annoys me).
Viviana Tarno
It's weird, but I'm actually considering that my next laptop might be an 11" Air. If TurboBoost doesn't specifically hamper Pro Tools perofrmance, it should work okay with a drive in a Thunderbolt chassis.
Don't rule out the 13" MBAir. 2 GB ram in the 11" is a small amount, and the screen is nice but 11" will make things REALLY small. The 13" is still small and still weighs next to nothing for a laptop, and has much better specs imo than the 11".
Dorie Scelzo
I didn't watch the speech and coverage kinda sucks.

Is the new 13" not retina display but with a quad core i7 avilable?
did they drop firewire from anything?
did they bump the Air up to i7s? And WTF is TurboBoost?

Nevermind…found it…

11" Air: bumped to slow dual-core i5 and i7; USB 3.0; Thunderbolt; some upgrades that don't matter because OWC is cheaper and better anyway.

13" Air: same but with an SD card slot

13" pro: bumped to slightly faster dual-core i5s & added dual-core i7s; USB 3.0; Thunderbolt; FW800; SDXC

15" pro: quad-core i7s; usb 3.0; Thunderbolt; FW800; audio in & out ports; SDXC

15" w/ Retina Display: Dual Thunderbolt; USB 3.0; HDMI; SDXC; NO FIREWIRE

WTF, Apple!?

Seems like an okay upgrade in general, but I'm bummed that they didn't put quad-core i7s in the 13"…'cuz that's the biggest laptop I'd ever want to carry.

It's weird, but I'm actually considering that my next laptop might be an 11" Air. If TurboBoost doesn't specifically hamper Pro Tools perofrmance, it should work okay with a drive in a Thunderbolt chassis.
Rolanda Clodfelder
Ya dude, new pros are awesome but no retina
The new Pro DOES have retina but not the 13', the 15' has 2880x1800
Kasi Kyung
Ya dude, new pros are awesome but no retina, but I'd totally rock a 13". That new thinner mbp is SEX, but $1k more expensive
Rolanda Clodfelder
Not gonna happen, the notebooks have already been wrapped up

15' Pro / Air-like for 2k with a freaking wow spec though.
Dorie Scelzo
I seriously doubt it.

Personally…I'm hoping for an 11" MBP with no optical drive, Firewire (with an Avid-qualified chipset), Thunderbolt, a slot for a standard SSD (though I'll deal with throwing away another slow HDD if I have to), a couple USB ports, and a matte display that's at least 1080p.

I'd preorder it and sell my current MBP as soon as I verified that PT 10 works.

But I'm also not even close to holding my breath.
Sylvia Greener
New Macbook Air and Macbook Pro announced a few minutes ago!
Viviana Tarno
Originally Posted by RockingClub
Mac Book Air is way overrated and overpriced and only usable for checking some emails...
Like the Dr.Dre's beats: style kills functionality
A bit shortsighted if you ask me.

I have a 2011 13" MBAir, and it tends to outperform the latest 13" MBPro on various performance tests. Thanks to the SSD, it is amazingly fast. I can restart in a matter of seconds and programs start up in a fraction. This thing is amazingly powerful.

OT: I am quite curious if they are going to make some big changes on the (design of the) MBPRo. Would they finally be daring to remove the CD drive and the slow standard HDD?
Dorie Scelzo
I'm already using a 120GB SSD…and there are bigger ones available for the air, up to 480GB and performing a fair bit better than the stock SSDs. So, that's not an issue. Being limited to 4GB of ram could make a difference, but I haven't run out yet even on big projects. The limiting factor–by far–is only having a dual-core i5. Quad-core i5s with reasonable clock speeds would fix that.

So, you're right…they're not great as they are…hence wanting an 11" pro. I just hate having to choose between a computer that'll run what I want it to and a computer that's not designed by morons (like the 13" Pro…too big to be portable, to small to be usable on a desk without an external monitor)
Basil Forshee
Hmm, I don't agree on that manner. For 9/10 people a MBA will do. They don't call the MacBook a Pro for no reason .
Sylvia Greener
Yeah. It's just prettier.

I could almost switch to the 11" air, but the processors won't support what I need to do yet....
Maximum of 1,7GHz Dual Core?! This is pretty lame!
+ only 64 or maximally 128GB !!!
Mac Book Air is way overrated and overpriced and only usable for checking some emails...
Like the Dr.Dre's beats: style kills functionality
Dorie Scelzo
Yeah. It's just prettier.

I could almost switch to the 11" air, but the processors won't support what I need to do yet, hence hoping for an 11" quad i5 pro. I'd also need a thunderbolt FireWire card with the right chipset, which might be harder.
Basil Forshee
Indeed, not to mention the resolution of the MacBook Air, which is 1440*900 I believe for the 13 inch.
Dorie Scelzo
That display doesn't exist yet, AFAIK, but it'd be nice. The current 11" displays are 1366x768 and still look okay. My 13" MBP is 1280x800 and is right at the cutoff of what I consider decent, which sucks because the rest of the world believes its good.
Basil Forshee
Agreed. An 11" 1920x1080 screen would actually be pretty. It looks like crap on my 21", but on 11" that'd be nice.

Also, I'm pretty sure I never want a laptop bigger than 11" again. Maybe they'll finally bring out an 11" MBP to replace the 12" ones that they discontinued with the PowerPC G4s. Those were always the best sized computers for me. And all the Air really needs to be useful is a FW800 port and a real processor (i'd be perfectly happy with a quad core i5).
I honestley agree! I rock an i5 in my desktop (i5 760 - summer 2010 version I believe) and it'll do every major task I ask from it. And it'll do what I want in the future. All those new processors, I couldn't care less about. Too bad the Airs don't have FireWire, but unless I use an audio interface, I don't believe they'll be used much (by me). I'm glad I'd still have a FireWire-port on my MBP, though.

11" 1920*1080, it must be so sharp and there's more room for stuff in Ableton and even Traktor. It would be the ultimate mobile laptop.
Dorie Scelzo
Originally Posted by ctg23
i get you can download most installation software, but the thing im struggling with is dont you need a cd to install your broadband provider to start with?
Hunh? In like 14 years of broadband internet, never had to install software. I can't even believe of what you would install.

Originally Posted by JDFS
For that one or two times every now and then you'll be using the optical drive, just buy an external disc reader? It's like what, $ 25/€ 20?
Yeah. My optical drive on my MBP has been dead for a while, and I'm not willing to part with my laptop for 3 days to get it to the depot and back, so I'm just not fixing it……just like the last time that happened. Seriously, the only thing I've used the external for is ripping DVDs that I got on closeout from blockbuster.

Vinyl is the only physical media I don't hate, and that's just because it's fun. No one has fun with DVDs.

Originally Posted by JDFS
Personally I hope that they will use high resolution screens so that you can see 'more' on your screen. My MBP 13 has just the right size, but I wouldn't mind to have some more things to look at on the screen.
Agreed. An 11" 1920x1080 screen would actually be pretty. It looks like crap on my 21", but on 11" that'd be nice.

Also, I'm pretty sure I never want a laptop bigger than 11" again. Maybe they'll finally bring out an 11" MBP to replace the 12" ones that they discontinued with the PowerPC G4s. Those were always the best sized computers for me. And all the Air really needs to be useful is a FW800 port and a real processor (i'd be perfectly happy with a quad core i5).
Basil Forshee
For that one or two times every now and then you'll be using the optical drive, just buy an external disc reader? It's like what, $ 25/€ 20?

I hope they leave out the optical drive and replace it with another HDD/SSD. They can leave out the ethernet cable too, since a laptop is optimized for mobile use. Who doesn't have WiFi nowaydays?

Personally I hope that they will use high resolution screens so that you can see 'more' on your screen. My MBP 13 has just the right size, but I wouldn't mind to have some more things to look at on the screen.
Leigh Dollyhigh
i get you can download most installation software, but the thing im struggling with is dont you need a cd to install your broadband provider to start with?
Ming Devis
^ Ha so true. The only cd's/dvd's I buy these days are ones from the bargain bins at stores.
Dorie Scelzo
Haven't watched a movie off an optical disk in years (well
Leigh Dollyhigh
i was gunna say how would you install things? most things still rely on cds for installation.
Sylvia Greener
When was the last time you used either one?
Software installation? Watching a movie from a DVD? Burning a CD? Listening to a CD?
It's a setback if you always have to carry around an external optical drive with you. Why should you want to do that?
Dorie Scelzo
Originally Posted by bmwnutfrombirth
With no optical (CD) drive and no ethernet port? I'll pass..
When was the last time you used either one?

My Optical drive has been dead for, well, I'm not sure how long. I noticed it in like november some time
Leeanna Ayla
wait
Wei Lebeaux
With no optical (CD) drive and no ethernet port? I'll pass..
Jacquie Whipp
Just wait, new Macbook Pros are "supposed" to be unveiled in a few weeks at WWDC.

I don't know about Itch as there's a lot more hardware devices for it and therefore potential problems, but as a Scratch Live user, I've used the last 4 major versions of OSX (10.4, 10.5, 10.6, 10.7), and never had a problem with them working when the new verions comes out (often despite Serato's warnings that it's not "compatible" yet).

<< Back to Anything on the SeratoReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy