Touch Sensor Level Knobs

Home :: DJ TechTools' VCI-100 FAQ :: Touch Sensor Level KnobsReply
Touch Sensor Level Knobs
Posted on: 25.06.2009 by Jenelle Are
HI last evening I was adjusting the touch sensor dial on my regular vci-100 and it snapped off. Does anyone knnow where I coul get a replacement for this. The dial has EO1 or 103 written on it, depending which way you look I guess. cheers for the help. anj
Kendra Gilbow
Originally Posted by derek
Thanks DJkleen. After reading your post i bought new pots (exactly the same) and just used soldering gun to replace them. It's working!
glad to hear my write-up helped you solve your touch sensor pot problem... and really appreciate you taking the time to let me know your successful outcome!! ----NOW... let's get back to making sweet music again! CHEERS!!

----Thong Nguyen
Kendra Gilbow
Originally Posted by fitzyp
Awesome post DJkleen! just what I wanted to read. Seems like it isn't such a daunting task afterall. and cheap too!
Thanks! I added a little extra tip in there just now... hopefully it helps you a little more!
Rocco Fiveash
Originally Posted by Zaq
Sorry guys, I can't remember any of the details from the soldering ... but I don't remember it being that bad.

I don't have much solder experience so if I can pull it off, so can you. Just make sure to have a solder sucker and you should be fine.
it is only a few solder joints per pot.

Also to those who are wondering These Guys are the main distributor (North America) for for Vestax parts. They can get you the part #'s needed and who supplies them. They will only sell to dealers , however.

Hope that helps.
Marco Cromeans
djkleen,

I'm sorry, I don't understand..

• The circuit board is horizontal
  • The pot in the pics have pins that come out of the opposite side of the dial (rather than perpendicular).
  • If connecting the pins to this horizontal board, the dial would face downward or upward.

How did you overcome this? Did you bend the pins to make an L shape?
Kendra Gilbow
Originally Posted by derek
Thanks DJkleen. After reading your post i bought new pots (exactly the same) and just used soldering gun to replace them. It's working!
glad to hear my write-up helped you solve your touch sensor pot problem... and really appreciate you taking the time to let me know your successful outcome!! ----NOW... let's get back to making sweet music again! CHEERS!!

----Thong Nguyen
Harley Wrase
Kendra Gilbow
Originally Posted by fitzyp
Awesome post DJkleen! just what I wanted to read. Seems like it isn't such a daunting task afterall. and cheap too!
Thanks! I added a little extra tip in there just now... hopefully it helps you a little more!
Ned Somerset
Kendra Gilbow
UPDATE:

I FINALLY FIXED MY VCi-100!!! =]

---ok... so since nobody (yet) has really answered this on-going topic (well... not with answers regarding replacing the pots with non-vestax parts that is...), I thought i'd help everyone who is in need of replacing these crappy pots but don't have enough info to do it. Here's what I did:

So... after getting back the email from Vestax stating that I should go buy some replacement parts from the service centers... I decided to go down to my local electronics store (specifically Fry's Electronics as I live in the Bay Area, California). I knew that I had to look for some pots that were 10KOhm (10000 Ohm)... I also wanted to get the pots that had the actual dial handle thingee that you could adjust with your finger instead of using a screwdriver (similar to the crossfader curve adjust on the VCI). When I got to Fry's... I did find a few different 10KOhm Pots...

1] one was similar to the crappy one that came originally with the VCI...
2] another was in an enclosed plastic box (which I remembered an earlier poster describing a similar-sounding description of a pot he received from the actual service center)....
3] another in an enclosed box but only had a thin adjusting rod that came out from the side

Although they did have a few in the 'finger-dial' variety... I was disappointed I couldn't find a 10KOhm version and none I saw were small enough to fit in the VCI comfortably anyways. I decided to get the 2nd one I described above (which I will also post a picture of the packaging showing clearly the specs of to help clear any confusions). Seems like they are sold in pairs since the ones I saw (including mine) came with 2 pots each. The pots I picked up were priced at $2.99 US dollars.

***NOTE: there's two types of pots----- single-turn & multi-turn. The one's I picked up was the 'single-turn' type.

So when I got home... I took the VCI apart...
(for info on taking apart the VCI: find the vids of Ean opening the case to update the firmware... this is how you would also get to the pots)

Each pot has 3 legs that need to be heated with a soldering iron and then have the solder removed with a solder-sucker. I wanted to be careful not to burn the board so I took my time heating each leg... rotating the sides I heated with the soldering iron... just to be safe. There's not that much solder on them...so it wasn't too difficult.

Some tips: At first... I worked on each leg... heating them and trying to use the solder-sucker to remove the solder... it worked on leg number 1 nicely... and that leg clearly was loose and ready to be extracted. I tried to do the same with leg number 2 & 3 but couldnt seem to suck the solder away cleanly. I was really afraid to keep reheating the leg & solder so then I changed my method. I used my right hand to heat the leg & solder while my left hand used a needle-nose plier to basically start pulling & wiggling each leg out from the other side of the board. I'm not really sure if this is a safe method but it worked for both the remaining legs. I strongly suggest doing the first method with the solder-sucker since the second method might leave you with a half broken leg still in the board, due to the excessive pulling & wiggling. ----but to each their own!! =]

Once I removed the broken pot... I took the new pot (which I had to bend the legs to make them fit on the board) and stuck the legs back through the board. One problem I ran into was that it was hard to solder the legs back on since the pot wasnt sitting flush with the board. To remedy this... all I did was fold some paper napkins so that it would push against the pot/board and hold it in place while I soldered the legs on the other side of the board. ----I'm pretty sure you can have someone hold the pot with some pliers while you soldered the legs on the backside... probably be a lot easier... but I didn't have anyone at the time so I had to go MacGuyver on that *ss! lol

Anyways... once I had one leg soldered back onto the board... it pretty much held the pot in place and soldering the rest of the legs was smooth sailing. You have to be careful and not put too much solder on the legs since it might come in contact with the other tracks on the board. I only did one pot... since I wanted to put back the VCI and make sure that it was working properly (testing the crossfader adjustments) before attempting it again. Tested it and to my relief got it working PERFECTLY!!! I decided to hold off on replacing the other pot since the second one still worked. ---but now I am stress free knowing that I will be able to replace them when needed.

I've always been sort of a leecher in various community s and never one to spend time giving help back... but I felt this was the time I might be able to help someone else who was/is in the same position I was in. Hopefully this might be you!! Thanks for all the help Ive received here at DJTECHTOOLS.COM and cheers!!

---Thong
Rocco Fiveash
The replacements on mine are not Vestax, but they work 100% and a thousand times more durable.

Sorry I don't know the specs on them.
Ned Somerset
Do you have to buy the part from vestax or is it somewhat of a generic knob?
Rocco Fiveash
Originally Posted by Zaq
Sorry guys, I can't remember any of the details from the soldering ... but I don't remember it being that bad.

I don't have much solder experience so if I can pull it off, so can you. Just make sure to have a solder sucker and you should be fine.
it is only a few solder joints per pot.

Also to those who are wondering These Guys are the main distributor (North America) for for Vestax parts. They can get you the part #'s needed and who supplies them. They will only sell to dealers , however.

Hope that helps.
Kendra Gilbow
@zaq - thanks for the tip!

...as for the status update on my email to Vestax support... today I actually received a reply message from them:

"Hi Thong,

Good morning. Here is a list of service centers across the U.S. Thanks.

Regards,

Ron

http://help.vestax.co.jp/en/detail.p...4&parent_id=11

Ron M.
Customer Support
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 888.498.4788"

....Well... looks like calling the service center's near you and paying for replacement parts is the only way to fix your VCI-100. Hope this helps save some people from wasting time trying to go through the various routes.

---Thong
Laurie Kagarice

Ned Somerset
Also in the situation! would like to know the difficulty of the solder. I have decent experience with soldering electronics. Just don't want to risk messing up my beloved vci100seArcade.
Kendra Gilbow
Zaq... thank you for the info! That was actually going to be my contingency plan if I didn't hear back from Vestax support... On the Vestax list, there's actually a repair center located in my city (San Jose, CA), so if I don't hear anything after tomorrow (Monday)... I'm planning on giving them a call. I really hope they don't charge me anything more than $10 since that's pretty high for this kind of part... but desperate times calls for desperate measures I guess!

Zaq, may I ask how hard it was to solder in the replacements? Did you have to cut off the existing dial and if you did, any tips on it like leaving a short length of the original legs to solder onto... ect? Any tips/advice/suggestions would be so much appreciated! Thanks for the heads up and cheers!

---Thong
Laurie Kagarice
hey djkleen, don't bother waiting for Vestax to get back to you ... they never responded to me when I had the same problem.

go to this site: Vestax Service Centers and find a service center in your area.

I'm in San Diego and I called up 'Virtual Sounds Technology' in Pasadena because they were the closest, and I bought two replacement pieces (might as well replace both of them while you're in there to avoid problems later) for $10 each.

They sent me them fast, and after soldering them in I've had no more problems.

Hope this helps! Good luck.
Kendra Gilbow
Hello, I am currently in the same situation as the above VCI owners are in. My sensitivity dial fell off with shockingly minimal pressure. I've searched and read all the threads on this community in regards to finding a replacement part to fix it myself... still havent been able to resolve my problem. I went to the Vestax site... found 3 and also emailed all 3 of the support email addresses I found there. (here they are if anyone needs them: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]). Now hopefully I will get a response soon and even more so hopefully they will send me some replacements free of charge like what they did for a user who also had the same problem on this community . Crossing my fingers on that one... but as of right now... I would settle for flat out buying the part and just fixing my VCI already! It's just sitting & collecting does as I wait for vestax's response and also any responses here that would help me remedy my problem. I will definitely keep everyone updated on the progress so people with this problem can get this resolved without all this needless run-around.
Laurie Kagarice
Wow, this is quite an old thread!

This just happened to me the other day. Has anyone figured out how to fix this??

I tried emailing the rep who's listed on page 3 of this thread, but it's been a couple days and I've gotten no response.

Any ideas?
Delphia Wilbourne
Another thing are they linear or audio taper type?
Delphia Wilbourne
x2 Mine just took a dump on me as well & I have a early model so I guess I will try and contact Vestax 2morrow and see what they say about upgraded POT's
Aron Arsenian
whats the deal with these pots?

@ GUVNA

Do you have a part name / number / brand / type you can give us to go hunt for then?
Apolonia Skibinski
The replacements vestax service guys sent me were much better than the originals.The piece you turn with a screwdriver to adjust is enclosed so doesnt break easy.Theyre real easy to solder, just be careful not to leave the heat on too long and scorch the board.The hardest part was lining them up with the external hole.
Anyone needing to replace these i would recommend just going to your local electronics store and picking which ones you want.Theyre literally hundreds to choose from.I have replaced mine again with ones that have a knob that can be turned by fingers.The knob part was a little long but i just cut some off.Now they work just like the crossfader adjust.

As long as theyre 10k and you can fit them in they should work.
Cassaundra Meyr
helloo ean from france

my 2 sensors fall away !!! im very interesting if you are a solution ...

tks for advance
Elliot Serres
Originally Posted by Chris Wright
Mine broke the first time I went to adjust it as well and borked my cross fade curve control in the process. Is it possible to replace it with the trim pot used for the curve control instead?
Yes is this possible?? im currently having this issue my pot for the curve broke off. I called one place and they said they will get back to me after japan gets back to them. I have multiple car amplifiers so im going to take a pot from one of them and see if it works toevening .
Basil Trykowski
Hi,

I have just broken one of the potentiometers of my VCI-300... It seems that Vestax has made some improvements in the VCI-300 comparing with the VCI-100 but shitty potentiometers are still there...

Any solution?
Kerstin Eden
@loslosbaby
Definitely the wrong part.
hmmmmm?

why?
it is 10K that should be fine i guess.

cheers
chill
JUNIOR JUNIMM
Mine broke the first time I went to adjust it as well and borked my cross fade curve control in the process. Is it possible to replace it with the trim pot used for the curve control instead?
Fredrick Liautaud
Definitely the wrong part. The entire usable adjustment range is just in the middle of the part you're using.

These "pots" are to only be turned with plastic screwdrivers (there are special ones at Radio Shack, different colors) and really, really slowly. Think: "I'm defusing a bomb" and you'll have the right touch.

They are not end-user friendly.

G.
Kerstin Eden
tried it with some other spare parts today.
same result. as long as the new parts are mounted, the lights are red all the time no matter what setting of the sensor button.

if i disassemble the sensor level parts again, just the crossfader button has an influence on the setting again.
meaning that if i turn the button the wheel light are turning completely red and lock up, or in the other position the light are turning blue and the wheels are locked. in a special middle position the the lights are blue, as long as the wheels are not touched, as soon as you are touching a wheel the light are turning red again.
this is the way it was supposed to be working before, but unfortunately now there is a dufference in the crossfader behaviour.

???

cheers
chill
Kerstin Eden
went to a local electro store today.
i was lucky and picked up the spare parts, unfortunately it did not work with these parts.
:-(

seems that even with the soldered parts still just the setting of the crossfader curve button has influence on the touch sensitivity jogs.
???

perhaps some other things were damaged??

cheers
chill
Kerstin Eden
@guvna
congrats!
let me know if it was a problem to solder them?

did you recognize the same i posted above, meaning that the changing of the cross fader curve also has an influence?

cheers
chill
Apolonia Skibinski
Wow just got emailed back, theyre sending them FREE OF CHARGE.Vestax got these guys to contact me www.trusound.co.uk. below is what they said

Hi
I have stock of the little pots, and can send them to you FOC.
They are still screw driver adjustment since the idea is not have the regularly adjusted, but rather just set once and left on that setting.
Please send your postal address and I'll send you 2 replacements.
Kerstin Eden
today i have recognized the following:
i put the unit together again, and even though the sensitivity knobs were broke the touch sensitivity wheels corresponded to the fader curve knob of the vci?

did you guys experience the same?

cheers
chill
Apolonia Skibinski
I emailed vestax an got this reply

Hello
this issue has now been resolved with more sturdy pots on newer models.
The items you have linked mat be too big to fit into the VCI100. Iam sure I can get our service dept to send you some new sturdy ones. They need to be 10k

Regards

So looks like as long as theyre 10k and fit you will be fine replacing them yourself.Im gonna see what theyre charging to send me some, if its more than
Kerstin Eden
unfortunately i have experienced the same problem today.
one of the buttons simply fell off, after just tunring it very patiently.

i have opend the unit to see if it is possible to fix the button again at no avail.

curious how the button is beeing held in its fitting i have played with the other button and it fell off too.
:-(

please help.

any ideas for a workaround for this issue?
i simply want to set the sensitivity to fine and let it be that way.

cheers
chill
Fredrick Liautaud
What's the status of this issue?

Do you want me to deprioritize my current reports until you advise me of a status upgrade?

Yes. Make these your primary action items.

LOL...

Q: If we buy a for-real Arcade SE will these be replaced pre-emptively?

Cheers,

G.
Bobbi Kilde
i dont know spec of thses shity buttons, but if u find out post your answer here man...Im still looking at my VCI100 how its collecting dust. Funnyest thing in all of this is that i cant order this knobs from no1. Nobody wannts to help me, i was writing to people from Vestax and no one helped me. Now im talking with poeple that sell me VCI100, just to order this knobs. I heard that vestax now have quality knobs which replace this buggy one.
I wrote to Ean, and when he asked me did i bought Vestax from him, and i say no, i never heard him after ....

I just cant FUCKING belive that is so hard to buy these 2 shity, fukcing knobs

This is pic of my VCI100, i just keep sending that picture and asking for help
If any1 find solution, post it here PLZ
Apolonia Skibinski
Originally Posted by EanGolden
Vestax is aware of the situation and are fixing the problem. In the meantime we are going to request some replacements to send to people with this issue.
Anyone ever get the specs on these pots? or Ian ever get some replacements.

I was believeing of replacing mine with these http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...=2203#features
It would mean i can adjust without a screw driver, just cut the shaft down so it only sticks out a little.Also means i can have spares

anyone know if theyre compatible? we need these specs so we can fix the stupid things ourselves, replacement from vestax means same problem
(only one of mine broke, but it was within 5 mins of delivery lol)

@Davelazy, wow that seems real expensive seeing as pots are only about

<< Back to DJ TechTools' VCI-100 FAQReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy