Help on updating midi fighter?

Home :: MIDIfighter Resources and Discussion :: Help on updating midi fighter?Reply
Help on updating midi fighter?
Posted on: 08.09.2010 by Adolf Hit
This is a quick tutorial on how to get your midifighter into bootloader mode if the four corners method does not work.

The four corner method should result in a checkerboard pattern on the midifighter LEDs, if you do not get this when attempting the four corner method then you should take the steps detailed here.

These pictures use an unassembled midifighter, you do not need to unassemble yours to follow this tutorial.

If you have tried the boot jumper method before please try this again, I have used this method to fix 80% of returned midifighters.

Take note of the two unpopulated footprints on the top left corner of the PCB labled RESET and BOOT. These are what we will be using to access the bootloader.

Update: All midifighters made in the last 3 months have two micro switches fitted in these footprints. If you flip you midifighter upside down and see two red circles you do not need to use paper clips.

Step 1: Plug the USB into the MF and the computer.

Step 2: Use a paper clip or pin to press the little red button furthest away from the USB connector, hold this button down.

Step 3: Using another paper clip or pin press down then release the other red button, make sure the first button is held down as you do this.

Step 4: Done! Your MF is now in bootloader mode, remember this method does not result in the led pattern, once you have done this run the MF update application and ignore the instructions at the start - it is ready to update already.

If you don't have the red micro switches on the bottom of your PCB

Step 1:

Fit a jumper (a piece of uninsulated wire or solder) across the BOOT terminals as shown in the photo below.

Step 2:

Connect your USB cable to your computer and then the midifighter

Step 3:

Fit a jumper across the RESET terminals as shown in the photo below.

Step 4:

Remove the jumper from the RESET terminals.

The midifighter should now be in bootloader mode, please note this method does not result in any particular LED pattern so do not expect anything to change visually.

The BOOT jumper does not need to be removed before you attempt to flash the midifighter however you must remove it after sucesfully flashing the device.

Please note you must fit the jumpers exactly as shown in the pictures for this method to work.
Joella Stottsberry
Originally Posted by user name
yea i know that feeling! so how did you do it?

I had to put my MF into bootloader mode then i went into device manager and attempted to update it through there..... i do not recomend this because it says " its risky for the device" but i didnt care at the moment so i just did it.. at firts it didnt do anythign it just made my device go in the tab with "audio devices and cameras" in device manager.

After all that i tried the normal MF update , using the application and it worked perfectly

sorry for my english :P
Lorelei Przybylowicz
I've recently just had my MF stop working, only the top left LED is on and stays on. I've got an old skool MF classic and I installed two buttons myself manually and I believe they did work before.

I will try the bootloader-reset trick - do I then have to re-flash the firmware via dfu-programmer because I tried with the Utility and the Util didn't recognise that there was a MF attached although I did try the Reset MF option via the Tools menu and nothing happened.
Adolf Hit
hey lysknapp - Ive PM'd you with some info
Tamra Millus
Sitting on the Mac, what should I do after I hit into the four corners?
I have also tried to do as they show the picture (thankfully, I had "those red buttons")
But then what?! Do not understand what yes to do after the!

My MFC has completely stopped working, only light and the CTRL key for tractor lights up but nothing happens.

Tried reinstalling, also tried to import the tsi file SEVERAL times.
Delfina Lorimor
did it and it works, thanks!!!!!!!
Elizabet Magerl
Hey guys, JFYI , mine has died yesterday for no reason, no notes sent nor even a LED blink, after fighting with some screwdivers finally managed to discover that i just need to remove the silicon case to get on the little holes on the left. so, with 2 wires, i do as you said, and it went fine. all about 4/5 minutes (slapped myself in the back).
and was to dumb to broken a little corner in the acrillic bottom, no big deal. Nice design man!
Joella Stottsberry
Originally Posted by user name

I had to put my MF into bootloader mode then i went into device manager and attempted to update it through there..... i do not recomend this because it says " its risky for the device" but i didnt care at the moment so i just did it.. at firts it didnt do anythign it just made my device go in the tab with "audio devices and cameras" in device manager.

After all that i tried the normal MF update , using the application and it worked perfectly

sorry for my english :P
Brook Denier
should I just send it back to DJTT?
Brook Denier
the four button method doesn't work. i searched the community s and found that tapping and then holding the top left button puts me in menu mode. but when in there, i try to update and still get an error message like bootloader can't connect or something.
Leeanna Ayla
For the people that don't have holes there's should be buttons on the bottom. Press those in the same order as the paperclip instructions state.
Leeanna Ayla
When you press the buttons there's no confirmation that you're in bootloader mode. Have you tried flashing the firmware after you press the buttons?
Geraldo Ottesen
I got my midi fighter a couple months back and I was in the "group with a bug in the pcbs" So I had to manually get in to bootloader mode but using paper clips etc , but now I know there is an update for firmware and my fighter is acting really funny what are the step by step instructions do do this? I have it in bootloader mode now but evertime I run the Midifighter update It fails on me....
Brook Denier
I've tried to manually get into bootloader mode by removing the back of the MF and pressing the two red buttons in the order specified, and still can't update firmware. Consequently, I have no midi output from the MF. What should I do?
Pearlie Mathon
Joella Stottsberry
It finally worked thank you for all your help
Joella Stottsberry
Finally worked...thank you soooo much... you dont know how happy i am...holy shit!!!! yes!!!!!!!
Joella Stottsberry
yes
Adolf Hit
These metal pieces are switch's - switch's are just like jumpers so instead of inserting a paper clip you just press the buttons in the same sequence.

We have been fitting buttons to the bottom side of the PCB for a couple of months now to make this process much easier for people.

I know this is not intuitive to people so I have edited the OP in this thread to include this information.
Leeanna Ayla
Well that looks like solder so are there buttons underneath there?
Tatum Ansaldo
Are you in 4 banks INTERNAL mode? Did you import the mapping twice with the big import button?
Joella Stottsberry
btw my effects are still messed up and i tried to use paperclips to link the metal holes and it failed... so for now im pretty much screwed i can only use the beatmashers and delay row for deck A and the top row gater for deck B only
Joella Stottsberry
nevermind
Joella Stottsberry
i cant do that for you , but if you can fix my problem that would be awesome
Leeanna Ayla
you're the second person I've seen reporting metal pieces in the holes. Can you take a picture so I know what your talking about?
Pearlie Mathon
my mf did not have any holes either. what you gotta try is to break your paperclip, take a small piece of it and connect the terminals just as shown in the initial post. the holes are covered with metal, so you're still gonna be able to connect them.

you just lay your paperclip on top of the 2 boot spots and make sure it has a contact to both sides. then you plug in your usb cable to your midifighter and connect the two reset spots in the same way (while the mf is still plugged in). remove your cable again, then plug it back in.

try the update app now. if it didn't work, one of your two paperclips wasnt placed right. so you gotta be patient and repeat these steps over and over again. worked for me, good luck!
Joella Stottsberry
i just noticed there is no holes... theyre covered??? and btw i tried the four corners and it still doesnt work.. it lights up but fails on the MFupdate application i tried 3 different computers now!!!

can i still do it if the holes are covered? and if so can you explain in detail...if you know spanish that would be so much better
Joella Stottsberry
thx man i will see if it works... but there are some metal things in the holes of the reset and boot motherboard thing... so idk how i can do the wire method
Leeanna Ayla
Check the order of FX in preferences.

Try to use the wire method to get into boot loader mode. If you have buttons there follow the same steps but press buttons instead of inserting wire.

http://www.djranking s.com/community /showthread.php?t=17824
Joella Stottsberry
somehow the bottom buttons ...who are mysteriously not mapped now..still light up?!!??!

as if it was working but still no effects are enabled on them
Joella Stottsberry
So ive been using my midi fighter for two weeks and recently Traktor mixed up my tsi. files.. now instead of Gater been on the bottom, it is now on the top.. also gater and all the other effects in the same row only work for deck B.

Whenn i try to change the effect panel to deck A , as soon as i press gater effect, it resets it back to deck B, this is really annoying because now my bottom row does not work and i cant have four banks mode enabled because then i would loose gater( wich is now on the top row) and all the other effects that used to be on the bottom row but now they are in the top... I have downloaded new mappings but my midi fighter still seems to be stuck like that.

I have tried to map it myself but somehow my four bottom buttons are not in the mapping, because they were replaced by the top ones....

I know this is very confusing..pardon my english.

S o if anyone could explain why this is happening i would really appreciate it.

Also i cant get my midi fighter to update......, "failure to find midifighter on bootloader mode"
Leeanna Ayla
Originally Posted by danielriosrendon
can u use paperclips for the wire thingy?
If they fit inside the holes yes you can
Joella Stottsberry
can u use paperclips for the wire thingy?
Pearlie Mathon
for those who are doing this and not seeing any results: keep trying! i was rearranging my paperclip parts for half an hour and had already given up on my mf. i believe it actually worked when i did step 1-3, then NOT removed the reset jumper, but waited a minute and then removed the usb cable (with both jumpers still in their positions). then when i plugged the usb cable back in... i had never been so happy as i heard the windows 7 new-hardware-detected-sound. flashed the mf and everything was back to normal.

btw i had this problem after reassembling my midi fighter for changing the buttons, any ideas why it happened?
Leeanna Ayla
Originally Posted by danielriosrendon
when i try getting into bootloader it shows the LED display but in the MFUpdate application it says failed to recognize midifighter in bootloading mode....??? what am i doing wrong?
You shouldn't be getting any lights

Originally Posted by midifidler
The midifighter should now be in bootloader mode, please note this method does not result in any particular LED pattern so do not expect anything to change visually.
Are you sure there's good contact where you're putting the wires in?
Joella Stottsberry
when i try getting into bootloader it shows the LED display but in the MFUpdate application it says failed to recognize midifighter in bootloading mode....??? what am i doing wrong?
Soledad Kipke
SAVED MY MIDIFIGHTER! Thanks guys!
Carma Panhorst
thank you sooo much

*ragarding my other post*

i bought these buttons and had a friend solder it and BAM! im back to beat mashing

thanks again for your help
Much obliged!
Harley Hendzel
like the bag says. 5mm tact switch. no wires needed. you solder the terminals directly onto the board.
Carma Panhorst
Originally Posted by Jason Cerna
For those of you interested in getting into the bootloader mode faster, you can solder two microswitches on the board. This method was mentioned in another sticky.

I used two direct mount switches from radio shack. These are small enough so you can get your fingers on both switches when the MF is assembled.

So radioshack you say?
Leeanna Ayla
Maybe I'll go visit the shack tomorrow. I want to do the LED mod anyway.

<< Back to MIDIfighter Resources and DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy