MF3D ''for emergencies'' mapping

Home :: MIDIfighter Resources and Discussion :: MF3D ''for emergencies'' mappingReply
MF3D ''for emergencies'' mapping
Posted on: 26.01.2013 by Lillia Datson
Hi Guys.

Recently i went to a house party, and a friend of mine said he had the DJ'ing covered. I thought cool, i'll put my MF3D in my overevening bag with my laptop anyway, just in case. The worst happened, and the guy with the decks couldnt make it, so i hooked my laptop up to the sound system and used the MF3D (With beaubrytes mapping) for some basic cueing up of songs etc with no real mixing.

It got me believeing though. Would a mapping be feasible that controls the mixer settings as well as two decks? I was believeing the first page for deck control (ala beaubryte's. Love that mapping!) and two other pages for a further 2 decks.

One page however would be set for some basic mixer settings, with maybe the Crossfader assigned to some motion control, and the buttons set out like a mixer to control the EQ's. Some visual feed back from the buttons would look killer as well (believe the buttons lighting up in relation to the crossfader)
Ive got a spare external soundcard for the audio routing, so i can cue up tunes as well.

Ive never tried a mapping before, but before i start, is it possible or indeed practicle for something like this, or has anyone tried one before?
Awilda Boggie
Originally Posted by DubluW
Haha! Just seen the picture, sorry!

Where does one start with making mappings anyway? Im a total noob at it.
do you use traktor?

Settings: controller manager: Add device: and start 'mapping'

yeah sorry for the misinterpretation I read it too fast and english is not my native language so
Lillia Datson
Yeah, the guy couldnt make it, hence no decks.

Main point being, id like to be able to keep my MF3D and the spare external soundcard and my headphones and a couple of cables in a backup bag for things like this (or if my own kit goes tits), so at small do's like house parties etc i can wack it out, hook it up and have some basic mixing capability.

mf3d mixer mapping.jpg

I was believeing a shift button on the side could kill whichever EQ was pressed, and similarly "snap" the fader up or down depending on the button pushed. The Top side buttons would snap the crossfader across, and the crossfader itself could be motion controlled.

Some visual feedback could be the EQ buttons being bright/dull depending how far over the knob would be.
Lillia Datson
Hi Guys.

Recently i went to a house party, and a friend of mine said he had the DJ'ing covered. I thought cool, i'll put my MF3D in my overevening bag with my laptop anyway, just in case. The worst happened, and the guy with the decks couldnt make it, so i hooked my laptop up to the sound system and used the MF3D (With beaubrytes mapping) for some basic cueing up of songs etc with no real mixing.

It got me believeing though. Would a mapping be feasible that controls the mixer settings as well as two decks? I was believeing the first page for deck control (ala beaubryte's. Love that mapping!) and two other pages for a further 2 decks.

One page however would be set for some basic mixer settings, with maybe the Crossfader assigned to some motion control, and the buttons set out like a mixer to control the EQ's. Some visual feed back from the buttons would look killer as well (believe the buttons lighting up in relation to the crossfader)
Ive got a spare external soundcard for the audio routing, so i can cue up tunes as well.

Ive never tried a mapping before, but before i start, is it possible or indeed practicle for something like this, or has anyone tried one before?
Lillia Datson
Cheers Beaubryte!

Im a total Noob at mapping in general, so if you can have a crack at it, that would be fantastic. I'll have a go at it from scratch anyway for my own amusement and self advancement, but if you can make one with all your normal deck features that would be awesome, as im a big fan your All in one mapping.
Claire Auyeung
Indeed a great idea for standalone use.
I believe you could automate many mixing features like fade-in fade out, EQ and loading with single button commands and macro's.
A page with 8 buttons for volume, 4 for basic EQ transitions, and 2 for transport or cue would be enough for 2 decks.

It would be hard to add an extra page to my existing 3d mapping by yourself,
since all modifiers are pretty much depending on each other.
If I got the time I'll might have a look into this one.
Lillia Datson
Yeah, avid traktor user! If i just want to modify a mapping i already i already have (Ie Beaubrytes all in one) i just select the deck and edit it to how i want?

If so that'll be perfect. Thanks for the help gents, now comes the fun part of arseing around with it all!

I'll make sure to post it when its done, and tell me what you believe.
Awilda Boggie
Originally Posted by DubluW

do you use traktor?

Settings: controller manager: Add device: and start 'mapping'

yeah sorry for the misinterpretation I read it too fast and english is not my native language so
Lillia Datson

Kellie Myrum
Hey Dubluw,

What you want is totally possible using button type in EQ commands, use 'inc/dec' (set resolution) for adjusting volumes or 'direct' with a specific value you wish to jump to.. However your diagram assignments are tiny to read.
Lillia Datson
Yeah, the guy couldnt make it, hence no decks.

Main point being, id like to be able to keep my MF3D and the spare external soundcard and my headphones and a couple of cables in a backup bag for things like this (or if my own kit goes tits), so at small do's like house parties etc i can wack it out, hook it up and have some basic mixing capability.

mf3d mixer mapping.jpg

I was believeing a shift button on the side could kill whichever EQ was pressed, and similarly "snap" the fader up or down depending on the button pushed. The Top side buttons would snap the crossfader across, and the crossfader itself could be motion controlled.

Some visual feedback could be the EQ buttons being bright/dull depending how far over the knob would be.
Libbie Orion
i thought he said the guy couldnt make it
Awilda Boggie
off topic:
I wonder what gear your friend used that failed on him
-edit: yeah sorry I misinterpreted

on topic: I'm pretty sure it's doable

<< Back to MIDIfighter Resources and DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS