Should I paint MK2s?

Should I paint MK2s?
Posted on: 01.03.2012 by Ira Alsadi
I have two MK2s that I am repairing. I have all the parts now, and am ready to move forward with reassembling them. My question is should I paint them? They have obvious wear and tear on the corners which most MK2s have after all this time. The best price I can get to have them done professionally is $200, which would be a black automotive finish with flakes. If I did that, then I would want to replace the lights with LED's. That would cost $25 minimum.

Total so far I have put $250 into the decks combined. If I were to paint and and add LEDs, it would jump my investment up to around $500. I have seen MK2s sell for anywhere from $500 to $1100 a set unmodified.

What do you guys believe?
Dagmar Cookston
Originally Posted by djlotus
You can buy it most anywhere that sells a big inventory of spray paint.
Hey djlotus,

Where you from? If I was to send you the tops how much could you do it for? Want to eventually get a second pair going thus I ask.

Thank you for the rubber spray tip.
Ira Alsadi
Originally Posted by thedeejay
Rubberized paint? Going to have to look into that. My rubber is ok but it could use the "new rubber" look. They sell it in a can?
Dagmar Cookston
Originally Posted by cyberphox
No $250-$300 is NOT the going price to have them done right. I'm sorry the scam artists out there have fooled you into believing this..I could buy the powder, spray gun and a used stove and do it myself for $500-600. Anyone who believes this price is fair needs to give their head a shake.
Powder? Oven? I am talking about painting. Not Powder coating.

I did some reading online regarding powder coating also as I considered it previous to getting them painted. Cant use your home stove for food ever again after powder coating something and cooking it in your oven. Not smart to ignore. Also the finish is not a bright shine like with paint.

As for spending just as much to buy all the gear (not including a stove) to do it all myself and hope it comes out looking good makes no sense unless you have spare time and money to learn / burn. I live in a condo so even if I had the time I don't have the space to do this type of work.

Appreciate the adventurous attitude though. I may get another pair in the future and get you to do them. Once you do yours yourself post up the pictures. I may get you to do my second pair if they turn out nice. How much do you believe you will charge?
Johnna Callery
I paid $550 to have my tops on my 1200's painted (no tone arm, and no platter) and I searched all over for the best price. A called everywhere. Seems no one is interested in painting these small items. As soon as I mentioned how small the items were (the turntable tops) they either gave me a price $300 - $400 per top or basically told me they cant do it. Keep in mind I was calling professional shops, not hobby paint guys who will do it at their home in their garage. After calling so many places one guy basically told me no one wants to do it because they have more lucrative jobs (i.e. car repairs) that bring in allot more money. Thus no professional shop is going to pull a car out to do my tops. I guess I can understand.

I did find a guy to do it as he was leaving the shop he worked at and didn't mind doing the side job for me before he left. In the end I guess it depends on where you are located and how busy the shops in your area are but from my homework, and I did allot it seems the going price is $250 - $300 for them to be done right. I would rather pay the going rate for slightly more and have them done right then be disappointed.

Live & breathe Vinyl!
No $250-$300 is NOT the going price to have them done right. I'm sorry the scam artists out there have fooled you into believing this..I could buy the powder, spray gun and a used stove and do it myself for $500-600. Anyone who believes this price is fair needs to give their head a shake.
Dagmar Cookston
My painter uses a rubberized paint. Similar to what you can buy in a spray can.
Rubberized paint? Going to have to look into that. My rubber is ok but it could use the "new rubber" look. They sell it in a can?
Dagmar Cookston
Originally Posted by Tommi Bass
I like the battle damaged look!
In a way I didn't either for a while. Give you the old school feel.
Dagmar Cookston
Stay away from www.technics1200s.com then
They tried to charge me $300 per deck and that was just to paint decks I had taken apart myself.
I paid $550 to have my tops on my 1200's painted (no tone arm, and no platter) and I searched all over for the best price. A called everywhere. Seems no one is interested in painting these small items. As soon as I mentioned how small the items were (the turntable tops) they either gave me a price $300 - $400 per top or basically told me they cant do it. Keep in mind I was calling professional shops, not hobby paint guys who will do it at their home in their garage. After calling so many places one guy basically told me no one wants to do it because they have more lucrative jobs (i.e. car repairs) that bring in allot more money. Thus no professional shop is going to pull a car out to do my tops. I guess I can understand.

I did find a guy to do it as he was leaving the shop he worked at and didn't mind doing the side job for me before he left. In the end I guess it depends on where you are located and how busy the shops in your area are but from my homework, and I did allot it seems the going price is $250 - $300 for them to be done right. I would rather pay the going rate for slightly more and have them done right then be disappointed.

Live & breathe Vinyl!
Ira Alsadi
Originally Posted by Patch
What do you do to the rubber base, Nicadraus?
Osvaldo Newhall
They tried to charge me $300 per deck and that was just to paint decks I had taken apart myself.
$300 without disassembling and putting them back? That is way too much. Find someone else to do it if it's just painting.

I usually charge $200 per deck and includes repaint of the main cabinet, tone arm section, rubber base cabinet and platter. Also included are the all LED mod on strobe, 33/45, pop-up lamp, and pitch. Replace RCA connectors & cables, ground wire mod, non-tick pitch, etc.
Ira Alsadi
Hit me up with a PM.
Dagmar Cookston
Hey djlotus,

Where you from? If I was to send you the tops how much could you do it for? Want to eventually get a second pair going thus I ask.

Thank you for the rubber spray tip.
Ira Alsadi
Ira Alsadi
When I have decks painted for my customers i charge $150 per deck for Kandy paint including the tone arm bits. I make money on that price after sending them to my painter. That includes the labor to take everything apart and reassemble.
Dagmar Cookston
Whot! $55 per top. Where are you located?
Johnna Callery
what the heck are you talking about Martha Stewart kitchen approach..i said you COULD get all the gear to do it for that asinine price...Why the hell would I do it just for one job? Sarcasm brah, register man...register..
You get your tables done all pretty, good for you..if you are happy with the price, even better for you...
I've secured mine to be powder coated at $55 per table which will last me quite some time...peace..
Dagmar Cookston
I joined this community to deal and share ideas with real Deejays not kids. If you want to insult people don't start with me and then hide behind a keyboard.

I paid a skilled automotive painter good money for a professional job. You can't compare this to your home stove operation. So let me get this right, your going to spend the same amount of money I did only to have an extra stove hanging about plus do the labour yourself in hopes it comes out half decent? Does that sound remotely logical? Have you ever done it before to be speaking so loud?

Like I said before a) Save the money to buy your stove, compressor, powder, apron etc, b) do the job yourself, c) post it on the fourm, and d) let everyone be the judge of your home kitchen operation.

You simply cant compare a professional paint job from someone who has been painting for years, to Martha Stewart kitchen approch sorry. The part I find even funnier is your not even saving any money with your idea.
Johnna Callery
you paid $550 just for paint? wow...did it hurt when they bent you over?
Dagmar Cookston
Powder? Oven? I am talking about painting. Not Powder coating.

I did some reading online regarding powder coating also as I considered it previous to getting them painted. Cant use your home stove for food ever again after powder coating something and cooking it in your oven. Not smart to ignore. Also the finish is not a bright shine like with paint.

As for spending just as much to buy all the gear (not including a stove) to do it all myself and hope it comes out looking good makes no sense unless you have spare time and money to learn / burn. I live in a condo so even if I had the time I don't have the space to do this type of work.

Appreciate the adventurous attitude though. I may get another pair in the future and get you to do them. Once you do yours yourself post up the pictures. I may get you to do my second pair if they turn out nice. How much do you believe you will charge?
Johnna Callery

Live & breathe Vinyl!
Dagmar Cookston
Dagmar Cookston
Originally Posted by Tommi Bass
In a way I didn't either for a while. Give you the old school feel.
Dagmar Cookston

Live & breathe Vinyl!
Germaine Bernadin

So long as you have them working well. Oh and get rid of the shitty phono cable. Mine where silver wired and custom grounded.
Johnna Callery
yeah i already changed out my rca cables and changed all the leds to blue...i found an automotive shop that does rims for $50 per rim so I'm pretty sure a little bitty turntable cabinet isn't gonna cost $300
Ira Alsadi
Brunilda Kora
Osvaldo Newhall
$300 without disassembling and putting them back? That is way too much. Find someone else to do it if it's just painting.

I usually charge $200 per deck and includes repaint of the main cabinet, tone arm section, rubber base cabinet and platter. Also included are the all LED mod on strobe, 33/45, pop-up lamp, and pitch. Replace RCA connectors & cables, ground wire mod, non-tick pitch, etc.
Johnna Callery
Originally Posted by DjZzeless
If you're in states, go get them powder coated, besides you're saving alot by putting them back together yourself!

Powder coating should run about $50 a piece!
Emely Metz
The price sounds good.
thanks for your input! get to have more confidence before shipping them over

Originally Posted by Otacon
Ahh man you should go black decks with purple LEDs, that would be so smooth
Actually was believeing about a black deck colored matching my mixer with white LEDs :P
I have a stock 1210mk2 in a good condition, luckily i dont have to mess around with it & would keep it as original as it is
Erich Vallabhaneni
Ahh man you should go black decks with purple LEDs, that would be so smooth
Ira Alsadi
The price sounds good.
Emely Metz
i have a question about repainting...

I was quoted $270 for the whole refurbishment incl repainting cabinet, platter, LED lights, tone arm assemble refurb & calibrate..not incl shipping per deck.
I have dismantled the deck apart & planning only to send over the cabinet & tonearm assembly, was asking for another price quote but until now no replies yet...the LEDs might look nice but it's not too important for me at this stage.
Not sure local auto painter shop around here would paint something like turntable cabinet since they never do it, and if they do would probably charge a hefty price tag.

I've been believeing back & forth about doing this myself
Ira Alsadi

Are you gonna buy some of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Technics-1...#ht_557wt_1270

Polished decks would look NICE with some of these. I'd love to have the decals match the colours of the wave forms in my DVS (Red on the left, Blue on the right).
Got a reply for the seller. They do not have them in white, and they do not have the pitch scale. I may just include the ones I have without putting them on the decks, and let the buyer make that choice.

And I am going with the blue lights on this one. Maybe red on my next ones, but I believe the blue will look better with the silver tonearm.
Stefania Herb
ive always been a bit dark, and therefor would opt for a red light set up with the black... darth vader style
Van Roginski
White or blue but it's personal preference really
Ira Alsadi
Polished? Is that just sanded back and lacquered?
Van Roginski
Freddie Henrichs
If you're in states, go get them powder coated, besides you're saving alot by putting them back together yourself!

Powder coating should run about $50 a piece!
Emely Metz
I've put a PM to Nicadarus, but no response yet.
you may get faster response PMing him at DJF instead
Brunilda Kora

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy