Denon DJ SC2900 Thread

Home :: Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topic :: Denon DJ SC2900 ThreadReply
Denon DJ SC2900 Thread
Posted on: 21.05.2012 by Shalon Jaranilla
So denon is starting their teaser campaign for their new product.

Timecode??????
Static platter????
Red picture above waveform in screen is for cd or loop?
Other ideas???
Leeanna Ayla
Originally Posted by photojojo
Care to share what the commands are?
Originally Posted by MrPopinjay
It's all there in the manual- page 37.
Congratulations Popinjay, after 13,000+ posts you are the first person to tell me to RTFM. You even took my favorite trick and told me what page it was on in the manual. There's got to be some kind of award for that.
Terresa Ranganathan
Correct, all in the manual.
Leeanna Ayla
Originally Posted by DENON
The LEDs are mappable if you wish to add this option.
Terresa Ranganathan
Originally Posted by GeekGod
Yeah - it ships with Traktor LE so you would believe they would have at least mapped that aspect. Unfortunately I am not sure what CC code or midi codes are required to map this thing myself.
Hi Geekgod, congrats!
Rosina Steinkuehler
Spoke with NI and they where not sure a needle point item is available for mapping. They are checking.
Leeanna Ayla
Originally Posted by photojojo
Congratulations Popinjay, after 13,000+ posts you are the first person to tell me to RTFM. You even took my favorite trick and told me what page it was on in the manual. There's got to be some kind of award for that.
Rosina Steinkuehler
Very impressive. Can someone be so kind and tell me what I need to map via controller manager Out? IE: what is the mapping command in Traktor called? I looked through all of the Out types but none stood out.
Terresa Ranganathan
Correct, all in the manual.
Kiyoko Wellisch
Leeanna Ayla
Originally Posted by DENON
Terresa Ranganathan
Originally Posted by GeekGod
Yeah - it ships with Traktor LE so you would believe they would have at least mapped that aspect. Unfortunately I am not sure what CC code or midi codes are required to map this thing myself.
Hi Geekgod, congrats!
Rosina Steinkuehler
I already had a pair of 3900s and they work great with Traktor and was wanting deck C and D. Also wanted a jog wheel vs the 3900s platter to have best of both worlds.

PS: I started out on a S4 and outgrew it.
Kiyoko Wellisch
Out of curiosity, why buy an expensive media player if you're just after a controller?
Rosina Steinkuehler
Kiyoko Wellisch
You mean when using them as a controller?
Rosina Steinkuehler
I received a pair of these and I am beyond disappointed that the LED rings do not work in Traktor. I am used to the 3900s so not seeing any kind of feedback really is a bummer.
Shalon Jaranilla
Shantae Faile
i believe they said October
Erich Vallabhaneni
so whats the release date in the US for these bad boys?
Kiyoko Wellisch
Originally Posted by Nicadraus
With how you reacted with your post, it looked like new to you.
I'm just stating the obvious as per usual
Jonathan Chiuchiolo
you can easily map that to software and I had it on my cmx-5000's... I would prefer individual cues any day as it would be a rare occasion where jumping from one track to another sounds good... that's why samplers were incorporated though and every dj program has one... The good ones could map "deck # load "filepath/to/track.mp3" & hot_cue #"
Osvaldo Newhall
Uh, I never said it was.
With how you reacted with your post, it looked like new to you.
Kiyoko Wellisch
Originally Posted by Nicadraus
This is not new.
Uh, I never said it was.
Osvaldo Newhall
It's awesome when it's a choice, it sucks when it's not.

3 hotcues per disc? Boo!
3 hotcues per track? Yay!
3 hotcues from any track at the same time? Holy shi-!
This is not new. The (old) American DJ/Audio Pro DJ, Pro DJ2 and Pro DJ3 had that feature plus the Pro DJ and Pro DJ2 had 10 cue points while the Pro DJ3 had 6 and not just 3. Those CD players date back to 10 years ago (2002).

Pro DJ

Pro DJ2

Pro DJ3

I used to own the 2 & 3 back then which I chose over a pair of CDJ-100 and I should say that they were definitely better CD players than the CDJ-100s. The only gripe was the small jog wheels but they were very accurate. The seamless loop was also very accurate.
Erich Vallabhaneni
about the whole 2900 vs. Pio-2000 debate, I believe it shouldn't matter to any of us. If you like what you see, then get it. If you don't, shrug it off and pick out one of the other 900 million ways to spin out there. This will not de-throne the 2000, but it will be a damn good product. It will play the same songs a 2000 will though, and some people will like them more as some people wont. I believe they look pretty spiffy myself though
Kiyoko Wellisch
It's awesome when it's a choice, it sucks when it's not.

3 hotcues per disc? Boo!
3 hotcues per track? Yay!
3 hotcues from any track at the same time? Holy shi-!
Nancey Inderlied
It's actually its most awesome feature. You can jump to 3 different points in 3 different tracks, rather than being limited to a single track.
Kiyoko Wellisch
Aye, CDJ2000s are much nicer. I hope the mk2 has an autoload feature for per track hot cues. Having to manually load them each time you select a new track sounds really annoying.
Nancey Inderlied
This isn't true any more, they worked on that after the sc3700, thankfully.

I just had a read over the cdj1000mk3 manual, it was very educational. Can you really only have 3 hot cues per disc?
I do hope the SC2900s feature per-track hot cues.

I wish I had more opportunities to muck about with CDJs
Looking at the panel of the 2900, I'm willing to bet that's only a marginal improvement.

On 1000s, yes, with 2000, it's 3 per track, 3 loaded at a time.
Kiyoko Wellisch
Originally Posted by Shishdisma
The CDJ 850/900 have the same fundamental feel, and the same exact workflow as the CDJ 2000. Pioneer buttons and switches only subtly improve as the number increases, even the Ergo has some hella nice controls. Denon players, on the other hand, either have rubberized switches, or messy clusters of controls, rounded out with a minuscule HUD and a browser on the level of the old CDJs. "Functions and features" do not a player make.
This isn't true any more, they worked on that after the sc3700, thankfully.

I just had a read over the cdj1000mk3 manual, it was very educational. Can you really only have 3 hot cues per disc?
I do hope the SC2900s feature per-track hot cues.

I wish I had more opportunities to muck about with CDJs
Nancey Inderlied
The CDJ 850/900 have the same fundamental feel, and the same exact workflow as the CDJ 2000. Pioneer buttons and switches only subtly improve as the number increases, even the Ergo has some hella nice controls. Denon players, on the other hand, either have rubberized switches, or messy clusters of controls, rounded out with a minuscule HUD and a browser on the level of the old CDJs. "Functions and features" do not a player make.

It's a bit hard to explain if you haven't used them. CDJ hot cues are loaded to the switches manually, in a "bank" which then plays the loaded cue when pressed, no matter what track is loaded.
Kiyoko Wellisch
I still don't buy the idea that it lacks key features of the competitor. In my eyes it's not a CDJ2000 alternative (money is always the limiting factor when buying gear, if you have the money for CDJ2000s you don't look at things
Nancey Inderlied
Because you can't host an all out assault on a line, and then openly admit that there are inferior parts in areas that seriously matter. It's marketing doublespeak, and market positioning suicide. Especially when it lacks key points it's price competitors has, at the trade off of a larger feature list.

Side note: I've always wondered, how do Denon player handle Hot Cues? Are they relatively loaded, 4 per track, like in software. Or absolutely loaded in a bank across the drive like on CDJs?
Kiyoko Wellisch
Shitstorm? Why?
Shantae Faile
CDJ2000s are very expensive. The main people to buy them are clubs and other venues- they are not going to take a chance with an unknown player from a less popular brand. You'd be mad to butt heads with Pioneer there, you'll need a miracle to dislodge them. It'd be like attempting to overthrow technics in clubs.

This "weird niche" is the pro-sumer market, it's hardly tiny. Pioneer felt the need to shove two players in there.
I don't believe your getting me, but it's nice to see that you are alteast on my page. You need to understand that i am not the one who originally compared it to the 2000, Denon is marketing it as a direct competition with all of the CDJ line (850 and up) and they are trying to market it as the CDJ killer. So if it's them make ting it in this way then they have to prepare for the s***storm that comes with it.
Kiyoko Wellisch
CDJ2000s are very expensive. The main people to buy them are clubs and other venues- they are not going to take a chance with an unknown player from a less popular brand. You'd be mad to butt heads with Pioneer there, you'll need a miracle to dislodge them. It'd be like attempting to overthrow technics in clubs.

This "weird niche" is the pro-sumer market, it's hardly tiny. Pioneer felt the need to shove two players in there.
Rosina Steinkuehler
Personally I could care less about the screens. With Engine on a iPad you would never need to anyways and it looks much better than a CDJ2000.

Just remember the iPad will give you central control for loading the decks with tracks and such if the players are linked up.
Nancey Inderlied
Why do you insist that they have to butt heads with the CDJ2000? This is clearly an alternative to the CDJ850 or CDJ900. It makes sense to tackle this section of the market since Pioneer are undeniably weaker here.

You don't have to created the best product overall, you just have to create the best product for the niche you are attempting to fill. In this case a
Kiyoko Wellisch
Originally Posted by Louie_V
Simply put, its been said that the currently line of denon players are made to compete with the 3 top cdj's from pioneer
See this is the statement I don't understand at all.
It costs 60% what the CDJ2000 does- there's a smaller price gap between the CDJ850 and the CDJ350 for christ's sake. You don't believe the CDJ350 is in the same category as the CDJ850 do you? No, of course not. They are not the same price bracket.
Shantae Faile
And with that post i have definitely swayed from the original topic more then i would have liked to. Mr Silvio I would like to apologize if i have hijacked your thread. Wasn't intentional, really just wanted to say they weren't for me and at least give you a reason so that in 3-5 years when you are working on another player its played out to the market in a different way. If you would like to continue this conversation do not hesitate in PM'ing me. That invitation is open to anyone in this community topic.

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy