Still worth getting 1210s? Is this still relevant?

Home :: Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topic :: Still worth getting 1210s? Is this still relevant?Reply
Still worth getting 1210s? Is this still relevant?
Posted on: 26.10.2012 by bhone maw
Sudden melodramatic dilemma alert...

Looks like there are many Technics 1210's out there for decent prices, loads of older DJs are getting rid of them. Having recently upgraded to Traktor Scratch, I was leaning towards getting a setup. Seems like a no-brainer: practicing would be much much more fun than messing around with a controller and I just always somehow felt I should own a pair.

Weird thing is, at the same time I'm about to shell out the cash, I got mixed feelings. It's 2012. Almost nobody uses turntables or vinyl anymore and I'm pretty confident I'll always use USB sticks CDJs when playing out live. Everything is on laptops/tablets, kids have no idea how to turn it on. Isn't this a step back, some weird form of premature middle-age crisis akin to buying Corvettes?? Can this money be used better? Like modular systems, better soundcards for production, etc...

I don't know, just had to share
Grady Weinkauf
Originally Posted by anteater32
There is a potential disadvantage with the z2 compared to the controller though; I did a haloween gig last week and the floor was 'bouncey' to the point I switched the technics off & just used the S4 jogwheels, the controller turned out to be a brilliant back up....
You can still turn on internal mode with traktor, ive had to do with with serato many times and I use Technics also and never found there to be an issue.

Plus if its in REL mode and your tone arms are set up to be 'planted' on the records, a slight skip wont mess up much.
Nedra Cheff
Originally Posted by DjLiquitATL
Z2 is def a game changer and for the price you cannot beat it
I dont see it myself, my zero 4 is years old and except for a few buttons does everything the z2 can do, unless im missing something?
Carmelo Politowicz
Originally Posted by bumtsch
First, @SuperKokot - welcome to the world of vinyl, enjoy your stay

Well, my b2b buddy and I got tits flashed to us a few times when playing DVS but that might just have been pure coincidence.
Ha! That's great, sadly I've not had such luck myself.
Delila Vandommelen

Originally Posted by Vandalus
Lastly, more than one female has told me that a DJ playing vinyl is infinitely more sexy than some guy on a controller or CDJ, so take that for what it's worth. Of course, their opinion could have been slightly influenced by the fact that I was playing the vinyl, but I'm not going to take all the credit.
Well, my b2b buddy and I got tits flashed to us a few times when playing DVS but that might just have been pure coincidence.
Jeffrey Akinsanya
Originally Posted by Publicservice
Its not that hard to get vinyl. If you dont have a shop near you, you can buy cheap records on discogs for as low as 50 cents. If you really want it itll happen
yeah i agree... thats some of the fun! but we are in a digital age!
im on my 3rd set of 1210's bought and sold them over the years... i never sold my vinyl nor will i ever!
Debrah Arnaout
Originally Posted by gnique
i believe its also depends if you already own alot of vinyl...

without a deck how else would you play them i could see as a new comer to vinyl being put off becuase they dont already have a collection!
Its not that hard to get vinyl. If you dont have a shop near you, you can buy cheap records on discogs for as low as 50 cents. If you really want it itll happen
Ming Devis
Originally Posted by sss18734
1. It lets you use DVS (which lets you do anything a CDJ or controller set up can do) To an extent... but if you use your limited funds to buy turntables, you're limiting your ability to use the DVS features to your mouse and keyboard... An awful, awful way to do it. If your performance depends more on these features than it does on scratching, other hardware is a better investment because it will be utilized more and make your sets better. There are also some features that cannot be used without a mappable controller.

* Buy a second hand X1 or some dicers for about $100 or any other small midi controller

2. You can go full analogue if you like - Sure... But most people aren't going to do this. If that is your main method of playing out, turntables are the obvious choice.

* Lots of people still do

3. You can spin records if you like collecting them - This is the same as point #2

4. It's fun beat matching and and manipulating a vinyl record Again, entirely personal preference and not fact that applies to everyone.

Once again, you are really overbelieveing my point... Invest your money in something that makes sense for your workflow. If you have limited funds, buy the piece of hardware that will actually get utilized to its full potential. My argument is really kind of a "duh" statement.
This is what I was debating -

My point is simple... If you scratch, turntables (Technics or otherwise) are a solid investment... If you don't... there's really no reason to purchase them over other gear that you will utilize more regularly. The best value for your money is in gear that you'll use the most and is most vital to your workflow.
Fair enough you can buy a controller which is cheaper and lets you play you're mp3's and utilise the software it would be cheap and effective. But the original poster was basically saying should I buy some tech's..

If he does buy some and likes them he gain's all that I pointed out in my last two posts and looses nothing. If he decides he doesn't use the turntables much or doesn't like them he can sell them and possibly make money on them. If he just buys a controller he won't know if he likes the techs or not and won't have the benefits a DVS/analogue set-up has.

To me if I was the OP I would spend a bit more initially if he believes he might like techs and sell them for a possible profit if you don't use/like them opposed to just getting a controller set up and not bothering because its a bit cheaper.
Rachal Janin
have them love them would never give them away
Grady Weinkauf
Originally Posted by anteater32
There is a potential disadvantage with the z2 compared to the controller though; I did a haloween gig last week and the floor was 'bouncey' to the point I switched the technics off & just used the S4 jogwheels, the controller turned out to be a brilliant back up....
You can still turn on internal mode with traktor, ive had to do with with serato many times and I use Technics also and never found there to be an issue.

Plus if its in REL mode and your tone arms are set up to be 'planted' on the records, a slight skip wont mess up much.
Stanley Peckman
Nedra Cheff
Originally Posted by DjLiquitATL
I dont see it myself, my zero 4 is years old and except for a few buttons does everything the z2 can do, unless im missing something?
Federico Vilas
Stanley Peckman
I bought a pair of 1210's nearly a year ago and I'll never regret it. As to the debate about functionality I use the 1210's with an S4 both as timecode and live inputs on channels C & D so I now mix with vinyl, timecode and mp3s in the same set.

TBH, I'm seriously believeing about chopping the S4 as I believe the Z2 is probably better suited to using all three mix methods as I do get some hum & noise issues from timecode when switching back from live inputs. The 1210's are here for keeps though.
Carmelo Politowicz
Originally Posted by bumtsch

Ha! That's great, sadly I've not had such luck myself.
Delila Vandommelen

Originally Posted by Vandalus
Lastly, more than one female has told me that a DJ playing vinyl is infinitely more sexy than some guy on a controller or CDJ, so take that for what it's worth. Of course, their opinion could have been slightly influenced by the fact that I was playing the vinyl, but I'm not going to take all the credit.
bhone maw
So, I got a pair of 1200s + a mixer yesterday. Had the best practice session in months and kept playing with them for hours, something that didn't happen in a long time

Edit: btw I've got a VCI-100SE 1.4, had it for years. It's good but lately I've found myself only putting in a few hours of beatmatching practice before a gig and using it for crate preparation. I'm putting it on a laptop stand to extend the setup now.
Jeffrey Akinsanya
Originally Posted by Publicservice
yeah i agree... thats some of the fun! but we are in a digital age!
im on my 3rd set of 1210's bought and sold them over the years... i never sold my vinyl nor will i ever!
Debrah Arnaout
Originally Posted by gnique

without a deck how else would you play them i could see as a new comer to vinyl being put off becuase they dont already have a collection!
Carmelo Politowicz
Okay, so you've made you're point like 10 times already - you don't believe it's a wise purchase. Some may agree, some may disagree with you. I personally disagree with you, and I believe the majority of people posting on this community would agree with me, despite the fact that this is a community dedicated to controller based DJ'ing. That should tell you something. The OP has a choice to make, and has asked for advice. My advice would be - if you can afford it, do it. You will not regret your decision. On the off chance that OP regrets the tables, they are only going to go up in value in the long term, and short term its a wash and he/she never has to worry about the technics bug again, or asking "what if?"

In my opinion, the joy and experience of playing records/DJ'ing on vinyl has nothing to do whatsoever with what you do when "playing out." If I play a vinyl record only once a month, that doesn't mean I regret my decision to own the tables, or feel that I am not using them to their full potential. I have the choice, an option, which adds significant value and enjoyment to me, of which 1200's are the industry standard that I would not deviate from. I tried to play at a gig on some inferior brand and quickly abandoned them for the CDJ sitting next to it because they couldn't hold a tempo.

Me personally, I would never, ever, sell my 1200's. I've owned them since 98 and I will take them to the grave, even if they break and can't be fixed (which I highly doubt at this point). Simply put, they are a work of art. Just sitting in my living room turned off they look amazing. There is so much history with them that for that alone, there are a lot of people who would own them even if they didn't "spin." As so many others have said, there is just a certain something special about DJ'ing on vinyl - and I mean vinyl, not DVS (in my opinion) that cannot be duplicated in any other form (again, my opinion). I spend 90% of my time when playing at home on DVS because all my new music is digital, and when I play out, its only on CDJ's - but if the gig had operable 1200's, I would absolutely bring a small crate of vinyl so I have the option. I absolutely love going back in time to the late 90's and early 2000's with my collection and dropping classics at home just for fun and remembering the old days.

Federico Vilas
even though the Technics 1200 production is DEAD, there were so many produced that parts aren't really an issue. I've got them in horrible shape, roach infested, etc...and they STILL WORK... I cannot say the same for other brands. I'd def suggest 1200s in a setup. I do use my iPod/iPhone as a backup though just in case the laptop tanks in the middle of a gig. You can't do anything is power is completely out but if technology fails you have another source to use. All my main gig music is synced with my iPhone. I bring two crate of records just cause to all my gigs...but i'm old school...def going to incorporate a NI MACHINE into my setup and it'll be complete...my only complaint about using 1200s is that they are HEAVY!...i will not do cheaper gigs b/c it's not worth my time moving them tanks if i'm not going to get paid haha, but in that case I can just use a standard keyboard for midi and problem is solved
Jeffrey Akinsanya

Ming Devis
1. It lets you use DVS (which lets you do anything a CDJ or controller set up can do) To an extent... but if you use your limited funds to buy turntables, you're limiting your ability to use the DVS features to your mouse and keyboard... An awful, awful way to do it. If your performance depends more on these features than it does on scratching, other hardware is a better investment because it will be utilized more and make your sets better. There are also some features that cannot be used without a mappable controller.

* Buy a second hand X1 or some dicers for about $100 or any other small midi controller

2. You can go full analogue if you like - Sure... But most people aren't going to do this. If that is your main method of playing out, turntables are the obvious choice.

* Lots of people still do

3. You can spin records if you like collecting them - This is the same as point #2

4. It's fun beat matching and and manipulating a vinyl record Again, entirely personal preference and not fact that applies to everyone.

Once again, you are really overbelieveing my point... Invest your money in something that makes sense for your workflow. If you have limited funds, buy the piece of hardware that will actually get utilized to its full potential. My argument is really kind of a "duh" statement.
This is what I was debating -

My point is simple... If you scratch, turntables (Technics or otherwise) are a solid investment... If you don't... there's really no reason to purchase them over other gear that you will utilize more regularly. The best value for your money is in gear that you'll use the most and is most vital to your workflow.
Fair enough you can buy a controller which is cheaper and lets you play you're mp3's and utilise the software it would be cheap and effective. But the original poster was basically saying should I buy some tech's..

If he does buy some and likes them he gain's all that I pointed out in my last two posts and looses nothing. If he decides he doesn't use the turntables much or doesn't like them he can sell them and possibly make money on them. If he just buys a controller he won't know if he likes the techs or not and won't have the benefits a DVS/analogue set-up has.

To me if I was the OP I would spend a bit more initially if he believes he might like techs and sell them for a possible profit if you don't use/like them opposed to just getting a controller set up and not bothering because its a bit cheaper.
Erica Charvet

Once again, you are really overbelieveing my point... OP should invest his money in something that makes sense for his workflow. If you have limited funds, buy the piece of hardware that will actually get utilized to its full potential. In some cases this may be a pair of Technics... But in many it will not.
Maricruz Felter
it's also a lot cheaper than a CDJ setup... You can get 2 top of the line Technics for less than the price of a single top of the line CDJ... granted the feature set is different, but if you had an X1 and go DVS, you're basically at the same place (except using a computer, yeah yeah).

I duno, I went from a strictly controller based setup to using a DVS system. I did not DJ 20 years ago when vinyl was "it", I started 2+ years ago as a purely digital DJ using a controller based setup with Ableton first, and then Traktor. Now that I'm used to using timecode vinyl I don't see myself going back anytime soon... maybe to CDJ's, but never back to a controller.
Ming Devis
You're not missing anything by going with straight analogue vinyl setup vs a DVS? Really?
No I'm saying turntables are a great investment because -

1. It lets you use DVS (which lets you do anything a CDJ or controller set up can do)
2. You can go full analogue if you like
3. You can spin records if you like collecting them
4. It's fun beat matching and and manipulating a vinyl record

I really can't see what the negatives are apart from portability.
Maricruz Felter
You're not missing anything by going with straight analogue vinyl setup vs a DVS? Really?
I believe he was saying that turntables can actually spin vinyl, whereas a controller or other setup without turntables cannot. You had said "The use of the turntables isn't allowing you to do something you otherwise could not.
Erica Charvet
Originally Posted by LoopCat
Spin vinyl? You aren't missing anything either and if you actually end up liking the feel (which is highly probable) or digging for records or get into sampling from vinyl then it's a win.
Ming Devis
This is entirely personal preference, though... The use of the turntables isn't allowing you to do something you otherwise could not.
Spin vinyl? You aren't missing anything either and if you actually end up liking the feel (which is highly probable) or digging for records or get into sampling from vinyl then it's a win.
Erica Charvet
Mixing with turntables is so much more enjoyable than hitting cue buttons or hitting sync especially if you're only using two decks.
This is entirely personal preference, though... The use of the turntables isn't allowing you to do something you otherwise could not. It's just your preference. Which is fine, but you can't tell OP that they are the more "valuable" hardware in all cases.
Maricruz Felter
Or you can spin timecode and take a few real records with you to a gig. Mixing with turntables is so much more enjoyable than hitting cue buttons or hitting sync especially if you're only using two decks. Add a small controller like an X1 and you can do anything any other set up can do without loosing the feel of vinyl.
This. Exactly this. I only spin timecoded vinyl when I'm mixing, but it doesn't mean I can't collect my favorite albums on vinyl (analog sound truly is superior!)
Ming Devis
Love the sarcasm. Timecode makes your point irrelevant... Unless you're one of those people that still enjoys carrying hundreds of vinyls with them everywhere they go and doesn't want anything to do with the massive advantages of DVS. In which case, yes... Turntables are the better buy in all cases.

My point is simple... If you scratch, turntables (Technics or otherwise) are a solid investment... If you don't... there's really no reason to purchase them over other gear that can do more.
Or you can spin timecode and take a few real records with you to a gig. Mixing with turntables is so much more enjoyable than hitting cue buttons or hitting sync especially if you're only using two decks. Add a small controller like an X1 and you can do anything any other set up can do without loosing the feel of vinyl.
Erica Charvet
Originally Posted by djproben
Actually I hear they can do this other thing pretty well... what is it... oh yeah -- playing records! Try doing that with an S4 or whatever....
Love the sarcasm. Timecode makes your point irrelevant... Unless you're one of those people that still enjoys carrying hundreds of vinyls with them everywhere they go and doesn't want anything to do with the massive advantages of DVS. In which case, yes... Turntables are the better buy in all cases, since you're forgoing the computer entirely. This is not the OP's case.

Jeffrey Akinsanya
Originally Posted by djproben
Yeah I really regret getting 1200s; they're obsolete.
--said no one ever
ive just got back in to djing after about a 5/6 year break! just re bought my 1210's (as i sold my 1st pair)
something so iconic can never be obsolete.. im never going to sell the set ive just bought.. so much fun mixing vinyl

my only worry is when i eventually want to get out there and play in bars/clubs, will they support me having timecode? things used to be technically simpler all i had to do was rock up with my vinyl and maybe my carts, now i need to plug my A6 in and wire it all up......
Danae Dumler
Yeah I really regret getting 1200s; they're obsolete.
--said no one ever
Nedra Cheff
I run Vestax myself (much cheaper option, no less capable though), but have friends with 1200's. I'd never want to lose the vinyl option.
And with time coded vinyl you get the best of both worlds.

My only gripe with the turntables these days is portability, compared to something like an S4 and a laptop they're pretty much stay-at-home toys.
Chong Mine
Originally Posted by Patch
Dicers brought the fun to a whole new level
yeah same, got them free with my serato aswell, cant complain
Brunilda Kora
Originally Posted by Mos
The most fun way……by far……IMHO……is putting records on turntables.
Basically - this is what it all boils down to. (For me - Dicers brought the fun to a whole new level.)
Chong Mine
If you take care of them they will last 20+years so ive heard. great investment
Debrah Arnaout
now i dont know if the statement im about to say holds any merit but its just what I have observed:

Keep in mind Technics is a dead company. Its gone. It ceases to exist and theres no more products coming out. Most of the stuff they made isnt going to be worth much, however I remember as soon as Panasonic announced that the brand was no more prices for 1200's shot straight the fuck up. With these turntables having the history that they do I want to believe over the years there can only be less and less of them which means that the price for them might go up.

But alas im no Jim Cramer and cant tell you what to buy buy buy. All im saying is I view my technics as a investment just as much as my favorite way to DJ.
Federico Vilas
i've bought, fixed, and sold multiple pairs of 1200's...i've tried CDJ's, DNS, vci-100 etc...but nothing replaces the authenticity and feel of 1200's for me. People are always surprised that I still use 1200's BUT my motto is to keep it simple. You don't need a bunch of buttons and knobs to have a creative mix... time is better spent creating music in the studio and playing your own tracks in a mix... there are your DJ's like Ean that kill it with a controller BUT he adds more into his performance on stage then just pushing buttons. whatever you choose...do it 110% and have fun. The mix is the most important. Doesn't really matter to the crowd what you use

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy