Alternative to Technics 1200 MK

Home :: Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topic :: Alternative to Technics 1200 MKReply
Alternative to Technics 1200 MK
Posted on: 22.03.2012 by Chiquita Siceloff
Okay, so for a DJ on a budjet, what would be a cheaper alternative to a SL-1200? Eventually I'll be picking up a set of 1200's or 1210's, but for now I just can't afford a set of them.
Any input at all is helpful..thanks guys

-gRxnch
Tegan Ruport
Originally Posted by dripstep
^neither of those.

The PT series that Gemini put out are good. I have the PT-1000s, and they are great. Lots of torque, no center detent on the pitch fader, accurate pitch adjustment (according to traktor), solid despite being made of plastic, they have some weight as well. I wouldn't recommend any other Gemini TTs except the PTs though.
Totally agree here, Gemini have been given a bad name in the last few years (and rightly so on most cases!) but the PT series turntables are really good, I have had the PT-1000, and now have the PT 2000's, ( I only changed because I have an all silver set up and not because they broke, weird I know)

The torque on the PT series are up there with the 1200/1210's and before anyone says it I play out on Technics all the time and the difference isn't that much at all. Using Traktor scratch or the like then you wont notice anything.

If you are on a budget then I couldn't recommend the PT-2000 enough, a little secret I got my set for
Frederic Delnero
Originally Posted by djproben
Depending on the kind of gigs you do it can be nice to have a second pair in flightcases ready to go when you need them. Breaking down and re-setting up your decks for gigs is a pain in the ass.
Yes and this has happen to me before. Techs are good dont get me wrong, but they are still machines and no machine is built perfect. Even when servicing them regularly the mess can still hit the fan.
Lina Rawie
Originally Posted by Tornesoul
Hey i was considering Stanton str8 st150 super oem turntables.

anybody got experience on them? or any other super oems.
I've had a pair for a few years and I love them. I used Technics 1200 MK2s on and off for about 10 years. When Vestax released the PDX-2000s I decided to buy a pair as I wanted something with more torque and a higher pitch range. They were good decks, but I took them to gigs and other people's houses and they got beat up over time, so I decided to sell them while they were still worth something and get some STR8-150s. I believe they're a superior turntable to a Technics 1200 in almost all ways. The build quality, while great, is not up to the level of a 1200 and if you ever need to get them serviced or you need to buy spares, I don't know how easy that would be compared to a 1200, but those are the only advantages I would give to the Technics decks. Oh yeah, they're heavy too! About 50 lbs each, because the top of the deck is a thick sheet of solid steel.

The STR8-150s are really what the MK5G should have been in terms of design. The Technics 1200 was a home Hi-Fi deck that DJs started using - it was never designed for DJs - and some of that comes across in the design differences between 1200s and the 150s. For instance, the 150s have no ground lead and the phono leads just unplug at the rear of the deck if you ever need to change them. The target light just pops off, so you don't have to undo about a million screws if you need to change the bulb. There are 2 start/stop buttons so whichever way round you have your decks, they're conveniently placed. The pitch slider has no centre click and there's a separate quartz lock button (which I know the MK5G has too).

The pitch range is switchable up to +/-50, which is useful for sampling and scratching if use battle records that have scratch sentences deliberately pitched up to +50. There's adjustable start/stop. 33/45/78. The output is switchable between phono and line and when you use line, the deck has built-in digital key lock that works with vinyl, although it doesn't work very well and that's certainly not a reason to buy them - it's acceptable when you use acapellas, but it does sound quite "digital" (i.e. rubbish, lol) with full tracks.

The motor is great. Once you get the pitch of 2 tracks locked you can play them all the way through with no drifting, so it's perfect for mixing. The torque is massive, which I personally prefer as the pitch slider reacts more quickly to changes and I prefer it for scratching too. The tonearm is solid and with good carts, the needle holds the groove as well as any turntable on the market.
Tegan Ruport
^neither of those.

The PT series that Gemini put out are good. I have the PT-1000s, and they are great. Lots of torque, no center detent on the pitch fader, accurate pitch adjustment (according to traktor), solid despite being made of plastic, they have some weight as well. I wouldn't recommend any other Gemini TTs except the PTs though.
Totally agree here, Gemini have been given a bad name in the last few years (and rightly so on most cases!) but the PT series turntables are really good, I have had the PT-1000, and now have the PT 2000's, ( I only changed because I have an all silver set up and not because they broke, weird I know)

The torque on the PT series are up there with the 1200/1210's and before anyone says it I play out on Technics all the time and the difference isn't that much at all. Using Traktor scratch or the like then you wont notice anything.

If you are on a budget then I couldn't recommend the PT-2000 enough, a little secret I got my set for
Joan Kollmorgen

i would love technics. but being EOL, they're costing like x2 the price of a pair of super oems, like 4000 for a new pair where i live, and few / no 2nd hand 1s gg ard.

currently running an s4!

I've used Technics for many years and loved them then switched to a pair of Stanton str8 150's about a year or so ago which i love even more.

The one's i bought are the first generation mk1.
Danae Dumler
Originally Posted by JayRuss
you have technics, no need for a back up set, carts and styli yes but not TT's unless of course you wanna be running 4 decks.
Depending on the kind of gigs you do it can be nice to have a second pair in flightcases ready to go when you need them. Breaking down and re-setting up your decks for gigs is a pain in the ass.
Jenna Skeem
Originally Posted by KD KLVR
So far i have heard nothing but good reviews about these. Im even looking to getting them myself as a back up pair to my tech 12s

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/tu...f30b3a8662772/
you have technics, no need for a back up set, carts and styli yes but not TT's unless of course you wanna be running 4 decks.
Joesph Perrodin
if you really cant get technics (my advice is save up some more money & get them) but vestax are ok but Numark TTX's are better, but avoid the the early Numark "TTX1's", look for the ones that are just maked as TTX's minus the 1
Rolanda Clodfelder
^ I doubt they will still be working in 20 years
With regards to the Gemini PT Series, I had both (I retailed DJ products).

They were Released in 1998/99... sold my own pair after a Vestax PDX-A2 Upgrade and they are still going strong after 13+ years.

So yes they do last, torque is fantastic on them, pitch is solid, however the tonearm and plastic body lets them down - but for the price, really REALLY good value

Something else to consider is the Older Vestax PDT-5000. I've seen lots of them for sale at silly (low) money e.g. $150 for a PAIR! in decent ungigged condition and the old Needle style VU pitch indicator is just too cool for words.

Ming Devis
I'm using Str8 150's with Shure Whitelabels at 2.5 grams and not getting any skipping at all - the tracking for scratching and fast back queing is really good. The only downside with the str8's is I would be a bit hesitant about using a elliptical stylus with the way the cart sits in the grooves with the short straight tone arm I would probably go the St 150's or some techs if I was believeing about using one.
Federico Vilas
i'm debating getting str8 150's, or pdx3000 mk2...gig out my 1200's and use the midi options of pdx in the studio...pdx have amazing pitch control but not feels like really expensive plastic...str8 150's I have never physically seen BUT have never heard anyone complaining about them. Qbert uses str8 150's in his scratch university so they have to be decent...in fact he uses all three but I see the stanton more often in his videos then any other brands
Precious Pequignot
Thank you extraclassic, sarasin, DJSigma, LoopCat! Much appreciated.

So far i've been loooking up on s-curve tone arms vs straight 1s and there dosent seem to be much serious concrete pros vs cons. except str8s for scratching.
Frederic Delnero
Originally Posted by djproben
Yes and this has happen to me before. Techs are good dont get me wrong, but they are still machines and no machine is built perfect. Even when servicing them regularly the mess can still hit the fan.
Ming Devis
Yeah techs or the super oems are fine.
Lina Rawie

I've had a pair for a few years and I love them. I used Technics 1200 MK2s on and off for about 10 years. When Vestax released the PDX-2000s I decided to buy a pair as I wanted something with more torque and a higher pitch range. They were good decks, but I took them to gigs and other people's houses and they got beat up over time, so I decided to sell them while they were still worth something and get some STR8-150s. I believe they're a superior turntable to a Technics 1200 in almost all ways. The build quality, while great, is not up to the level of a 1200 and if you ever need to get them serviced or you need to buy spares, I don't know how easy that would be compared to a 1200, but those are the only advantages I would give to the Technics decks. Oh yeah, they're heavy too! About 50 lbs each, because the top of the deck is a thick sheet of solid steel.

The STR8-150s are really what the MK5G should have been in terms of design. The Technics 1200 was a home Hi-Fi deck that DJs started using - it was never designed for DJs - and some of that comes across in the design differences between 1200s and the 150s. For instance, the 150s have no ground lead and the phono leads just unplug at the rear of the deck if you ever need to change them. The target light just pops off, so you don't have to undo about a million screws if you need to change the bulb. There are 2 start/stop buttons so whichever way round you have your decks, they're conveniently placed. The pitch slider has no centre click and there's a separate quartz lock button (which I know the MK5G has too).

The pitch range is switchable up to +/-50, which is useful for sampling and scratching if use battle records that have scratch sentences deliberately pitched up to +50. There's adjustable start/stop. 33/45/78. The output is switchable between phono and line and when you use line, the deck has built-in digital key lock that works with vinyl, although it doesn't work very well and that's certainly not a reason to buy them - it's acceptable when you use acapellas, but it does sound quite "digital" (i.e. rubbish, lol) with full tracks.

The motor is great. Once you get the pitch of 2 tracks locked you can play them all the way through with no drifting, so it's perfect for mixing. The torque is massive, which I personally prefer as the pitch slider reacts more quickly to changes and I prefer it for scratching too. The tonearm is solid and with good carts, the needle holds the groove as well as any turntable on the market.
Lilliana Perris
I use a pair of Stanton STR8-100's.

They are freakin awesome! No issues whats so ever.

Loads of torque and features.
Tegan Ruport
^neither of those.

Joan Kollmorgen

i would love technics. but being EOL, they're costing like x2 the price of a pair of super oems, like 4000 for a new pair where i live, and few / no 2nd hand 1s gg ard.

currently running an s4!

I've used Technics for many years and loved them then switched to a pair of Stanton str8 150's about a year or so ago which i love even more.

The one's i bought are the first generation mk1.
Precious Pequignot

currently running an s4!
Danae Dumler
Originally Posted by JayRuss
Jenna Skeem
Originally Posted by KD KLVR
So far i have heard nothing but good reviews about these. Im even looking to getting them myself as a back up pair to my tech 12s

Nana Mohs
There are 4 1200s on guitar center used right now for under 250 each. One is 199
Janella Gripe
Get some used technics 1200 MKII or 1210 MKII. I got a 1200 and 1210 for
Frederic Delnero

Danae Dumler
Some people recommend the Stanton ST-150s as a replacement; thought I'd share this here: http://www.time-step.net/showthread....00MK2-A-Thread
Claude Koveleski
^ I doubt they will still be working in 20 years
Yong Aptekar
^neither of those.

Claude Koveleski
^This
Rocco Fiveash
Do not get anything Gemini, especially turntables. They have NEVER made anything of quality, and never will.

1200's are king for several reasons, don't settle for anything less. When the patent ran out, it was open season for other manufacturers, but I have yet to find anything the same. Sure, you might find tables with more torq, but the build quality is not going to be as good, and I bet the wow and flutter won't be either.

Almost everyone I know who has bought something other than 1200's has eventually "upgraded"

My 2 cents.
Len Lukawski
And it includes a stand at no extra cost.
Danae Dumler
Here's a good alternative to Technics 1200s. A bit pricier than you might want, and you have to be careful when scratching on it, but two of these and you're set: http://www.needledoctor.com/Clearaud...=2&category=45
Yong Aptekar
I've said it before, and I will say it again. The PT series from gemini isn't too bad, and is much cheaper than technics. I've got the PT-1000s, and have had them almost a year, and no issues with them what so ever. Unfortunately you can't adjust the tonearm height, but they have lots of torque, and if you are on a budget and can find them, I highly recommend.
Chiquita Siceloff
Originally Posted by mostapha
Dude
Len Lukawski
We are the munny funsting masters. I consider my time here in the US to be missionary work (so to speak...)
Dorie Scelzo
@smitten, lol. I'm always impressed at how much better brits are at swearing than amercians.

(spelled wrong on purpose to make fun of mitt romney's coders)
Erich Vallabhaneni
Originally Posted by smittten
Some key phrases to get you by should you come to my house for tea.

"Oh Bollocks! I believe I've gone and truly f*cked it" - Oh drat, I believe I may have made the current situation somewhat more challenging.
"Bollocks to this!" - While I have enjoyed the endeavor thus far I feel it is time I excused myself.
"My bollocks are killing me" - It would seem that my masculine plumbing is generating a rather alarming volume of error messages.
"That's bollocks!" - Kind Sir, I do not believe you are being entirely forthcoming with me in this matter.
"I just got a total bollocking" - I was severely reprimanded
"That's the bollocks!" - I am quite confident that what I am seeing is very high quality indeed.
"That's the dog's bollocks!" I assure you with my dear mother's life that you will find nothing of higher quality on the planet, NOTHING SIR!
this is the best thing i've read all day, hands down.
Viviana Tarno
Originally Posted by smittten
Some key phrases to get you by should you come to my house for tea.

"Oh Bollocks! I believe I've gone and truly f*cked it" - Oh drat, I believe I may have made the current situation somewhat more challenging.
"Bollocks to this!" - While I have enjoyed the endeavor thus far I feel it is time I excused myself.
"My bollocks are killing me" - It would seem that my masculine plumbing is generating a rather alarming volume of error messages.
"That's bollocks!" - Kind Sir, I do not believe you are being entirely forthcoming with me in this matter.
"I just got a total bollocking" - I was severely reprimanded
"That's the bollocks!" - I am quite confident that what I am seeing is very high quality indeed.
"That's the dog's bollocks!" I assure you with my dear mother's life that you will find nothing of higher quality on the planet, NOTHING SIR!
Epic post.
Debrah Arnaout
Stanton t.62's aren't terrible. I have one along side my 1200 though and i can say for sure the 1200 is better. the brake works faster and it has noticeably more torque. for just starting out its good though. its pretty much a mock of the 1200 with a different face and an extra pause/play button. do some homework and stake out open box deals at your music stores to get them for cheaper.
Ming Devis
Any of the Super OEM turntables

The Stanton Str8 150's are great
Daniele Gladys
vestax pdx 2000, ive got a technics sl1210 and a vestax pdx 2000 and the 2000 is way better

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy