Which CDJ for a "high-end noob"?

Home :: Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topic :: Which CDJ for a "high-end noob"?Reply
Which CDJ for a "high-end noob"?
Posted on: 14.09.2012 by Malia Janise
Hi all,

Looking for my first CDJ's. A little about me:

Late 1990's San Francisco rave scene. Used to bedroom DJ on 1200's. I rarely touched them after about 2004. Lot's has changed since then obviously.

That said, I'm the type who likes to make "sound" purchases. If I'm going to spin vinyl and it's 1999, MK2's and a Rane mixer. I'll buy the 909 instead of the software synth if you know what I mean.

Much of this is obviously out of wanting good gear. The other half (yes, almost half) is that I like to buy things that have value/demand as a sort of industry-standard, making it easier to one day resell.

So that said, I know there's oodles of CDJ's out there. I figure stick with Pioneer. Beyond that, can anyone give me a crash course on the different generations? I see MK2, MK3, etc. It would be awesome to even get a breakdown of the evolution: "from 2000-2005 the CDJ XXX was king. Then more digital effects were added, blinky lights, laptop sync etc, so from 2006-2012 the CDJ XXXX and XXXX have reigned."

I like this because I figure I don't need anything crazy from the last few years as they all seem to be about digital tie-in etc. While this would be nice, I figure I should get comfortable with CDJ's in general, perhaps using one from the earlier generations that led initial charge from vinyl...but like, the one that the clubs would have used, if that makes sense

I figure I'll start out using my existing Rane MP22z mixer.

TLDR:what have been the industry-standard CDJ's for the last decade? And which would be a solid buy to use for a year, then sell for more or less the same amount due to having a solid legacy?
Laurence Calisto
Originally Posted by Reticuli
The Pioneers don't even have effects. So complaining overly about the Gemini's is unjustified.
I'd like to complain about the fact that it HAS effects? What the hell are they doing on the player itself?
Carman Kopacek
Originally Posted by trilla_shocka
I still would not recommend 850's to anyone at this point in time unless you come across a great deal OR plan on playing off of cd's alone.

The 850's do not support pro link. Meaning for each player you must have 1 USB stick. Two 850's, well that equals double the amount of time of music management, rekordbox, etc. Now add four decks into the mix, that's 4 USB sticks ($$$) and 4x the time (no pun intended).

900's and above. Well you guessed it. With pro link you can link up to four decks via ONE USB drive. My 2 cents.

As far as timecoding goes. No one wants to or should have to shell out more cash for $99 traktor scratch upgrade, nor should anyone be required to buy an extra interface for $199 or more. 850's would not be the best choice in this day and age for a lot of newer users
Don't get me the wrong way, I currently use the 900's and one of the reasons why I bought them was for that purpose, but as a starting CDJ I believe the CDJ-900 might be pricey unless you want to start off at top technology. the CDJ-850 is almost as low as you can get before you drop down to using only CD's, or using small mobile players and yet it possesses most of the capabilities of even my 900.
Adrian Zadrozny
Originally Posted by Zanzibar
Yup your correct, no Advanced HID. Well I guess a second option if you want to use Traktor would be the CD's and an audio interface but I'll take your word on the horror stories. Other than that it still plays off of a USB stick which is handy.
I still would not recommend 850's to anyone at this point in time unless you come across a great deal OR plan on playing off of cd's alone.

The 850's do not support pro link. Meaning for each player you must have 1 USB stick. Two 850's, well that equals double the amount of time of music management, rekordbox, etc. Now add four decks into the mix, that's 4 USB sticks ($$$) and 4x the time (no pun intended).

900's and above. Well you guessed it. With pro link you can link up to four decks via ONE USB drive. My 2 cents.

As far as timecoding goes. No one wants to or should have to shell out more cash for $99 traktor scratch upgrade, nor should anyone be required to buy an extra interface for $199 or more. 850's would not be the best choice in this day and age for a lot of newer users
Carman Kopacek
I've heard nothing but horror stories regarding the 850's with Traktor in HID.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the 850's do not support advanced HID mode.
Yup your correct, no Advanced HID. Well I guess a second option if you want to use Traktor would be the CD's and an audio interface but I'll take your word on the horror stories. Other than that it still plays off of a USB stick which is handy.
Adrian Zadrozny
A pair of CDJ-850's are the best choice. For one they can play different media off of USB, CD and become a MIDI controller (for use with Traktor for example) using a simple USB cable. Another great thing about them is they're not very expensive if you find them used or even new for that matter. I've used the 850 more than a few times and I love it, not as fancy as the 900 or the 2000 but it gets the job done and you have lots of ways to get your music playing through the CDJ. Some of the disadvantages are that it does not have a Digital output on the back, and maybe that the jog wheel feel isn't adjustable like the 1000's and the 2000's.

There's a lot of mish-mash with CD's and Digital files being played but the good news is the 850 does both, so what ever you're most comfortable with will still work. Needless to say if you're looking for a CDJ, the 850 is great to start off with and will keep you going for quite a few years before technology changes.

Here's the CDJ-850 with its tech specs: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...layers/CDJ-850

Another thing for the record as well, All CDJ's above the 800 MK2 have the same "relative" feel. So if you practice on the 850's and have to use the CDJ-2000's in a club or at an event, there's no real need to worry because they all pretty much do the same thing. Half the crap on the CDJ-2000 I've never used anyways.

Karolis Petrauskas
Originally Posted by Ever
Well put, BigBeatzz.

You guys are right, I too am really into the feel of vinyl. So much that I've fiddled with CDJs in stores and I can't imagine "jogging" while beatmatching.

That said, I'm 99% committed to CDJs. A big part of me wants to learn on whatever is the club standard, and I feel like it's simply that. Sure, I could see myself having fun with a DVS at home, but I want to be able to play out, and I feel like learning DVS before CDJ would inhibit this.
Sounds cool, new gear is always fun. My favorite CDJ's were the 800's...I'd bet the 850's are awesome also. I guess take a look at the CDJ 2000's features and compare based on the 850 or 900. The 2000 is the standard these days, if you are trying to be "gig ready", try and get as close as possible to those.

Good luck and enjoy it!
Johnetta Olewine
Originally Posted by bigbeatzz
I am in a similar boat as the op. I started playing about 22 years ago and learned on vinyl. I've owned everything from CDJ's (1000's, 800's & 100's) to one of the first midi controllers called the Kontrol-DJ. I have an S4 which is great but I always felt it lacking in "relaxation" department.

Not too long ago I decided to fix up my old decks, I replaced all of the lights and the tempo faders; soon after I did the LED UFO mod. Long story shorter, when I play on my 1200's it relaxes me. When I use my S4 I always find myself tinkering TSI files and CDJ's get kind of boring. CDJ's are standard if you are playing out but for chilling at home 1200's are so nice. There is nothing like mixing on vinyl, even if now I mostly play vinyl using Traktor or Serato (I have both). I find it fun to get nice timecode pressings and the feeling of "throwing" or "scratching" real vinyl is like therapy to me.

Just my 2 cents.
bang on. IMO after learning to DJ with real records, there is nothing out there beats playing a real record. Traktor scratch or serato will make the OP happy.
Karolis Petrauskas
If they don't already own a bunch of vinyl and a pair of 1200's, why would someone want 1200's and Serato/Traktor over CDJS (ones that can control said programs / have USB)?
I am in a similar boat as the op. I started playing about 22 years ago and learned on vinyl. I've owned everything from CDJ's (1000's, 800's & 100's) to one of the first midi controllers called the Kontrol-DJ. I have an S4 which is great but I always felt it lacking in "relaxation" department.

Not too long ago I decided to fix up my old decks, I replaced all of the lights and the tempo faders; soon after I did the LED UFO mod. Long story shorter, when I play on my 1200's it relaxes me. When I use my S4 I always find myself tinkering TSI files and CDJ's get kind of boring. CDJ's are standard if you are playing out but for chilling at home 1200's are so nice. There is nothing like mixing on vinyl, even if now I mostly play vinyl using Traktor or Serato (I have both). I find it fun to get nice timecode pressings and the feeling of "throwing" or "scratching" real vinyl is like therapy to me.

Just my 2 cents.
Adrian Zadrozny
If they don't already own a bunch of vinyl and a pair of 1200's, why would someone want 1200's and Serato/Traktor over CDJS (ones that can control said programs / have USB)?
If we were all the same life would be boring. Also I'm sure you know this but vinyl through traktor is controlled via time coded vinyl discs. No need to re-build your music library.
Adrian Zadrozny
Get some 1200's and Serato or Traktor Scratch and call it a day.
How much do a set of 1200's go for these days?
Carletta Riemer
All DVS have effects built into them. If you use the 700 in internal USB mode and not as a controller but only have an analog mixer that has no effects, that would be useful to have them and not such a huge thing. If you don't like them, don't use them. It's doubtful the effects section is adding much to the cost of the Gemini. It costs 1/3 to 1/4 the price of the equivolent Pioneer units and has more features. I don't use butt warmers in cars, either, but I don't complain about them being included.
Laurence Calisto
Originally Posted by Reticuli
The Pioneers don't even have effects. So complaining overly about the Gemini's is unjustified.
I'd like to complain about the fact that it HAS effects? What the hell are they doing on the player itself?
Carletta Riemer
Malia Janise
Thanks for all the tips guys. Beyond helping me decide which to get, I've learned a lot from this thread hearing about why different people opt for different gear.

I found some 900's and, if UPS is correct, will be enjoying them by next Tuesday.
Treasa Maffucci
personally, i went for 850s because they are the most similar to the club standard for the least amount of money.

sure, they dont have the link feature or a fancy screen or digital out or HID through traktor, but the difference in price was too large to justify those additions. If i had the extra money, i would spring for some 2000s, no doubt. And i would love the link feature and all that jazz, but i just dont have that extra money at this time and place.

But for what i paid and for what they do, not what they dont do, i love em
Carman Kopacek

Don't get me the wrong way, I currently use the 900's and one of the reasons why I bought them was for that purpose, but as a starting CDJ I believe the CDJ-900 might be pricey unless you want to start off at top technology. the CDJ-850 is almost as low as you can get before you drop down to using only CD's, or using small mobile players and yet it possesses most of the capabilities of even my 900.
Adrian Zadrozny

Carman Kopacek

Adrian Zadrozny
A pair of CDJ-850's are the best choice. For one they can play different media off of USB, CD and become a MIDI controller (for use with Traktor for example) using a simple USB cable. Another great thing about them is they're not very expensive if you find them used or even new for that matter. I've used the 850 more than a few times and I love it, not as fancy as the 900 or the 2000 but it gets the job done and you have lots of ways to get your music playing through the CDJ. Some of the disadvantages are that it does not have a Digital output on the back, and maybe that the jog wheel feel isn't adjustable like the 1000's and the 2000's.

There's a lot of mish-mash with CD's and Digital files being played but the good news is the 850 does both, so what ever you're most comfortable with will still work. Needless to say if you're looking for a CDJ, the 850 is great to start off with and will keep you going for quite a few years before technology changes.

Here's the CDJ-850 with its tech specs: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...layers/CDJ-850

Another thing for the record as well, All CDJ's above the 800 MK2 have the same "relative" feel. So if you practice on the 850's and have to use the CDJ-2000's in a club or at an event, there's no real need to worry because they all pretty much do the same thing. Half the crap on the CDJ-2000 I've never used anyways.

Carman Kopacek

Erich Vallabhaneni
alot of people probably wont agree, but I just got a Gemini CDJ 700, and for home use it is all you'll need. The effects on them are horrid, but having CD, USB, SSD card, and midi capability really gives you alot of options and you get the feel of using a full size CDJ. I wouldn't advise for traveling alot or anything, but home use they are pretty fun.
Karolis Petrauskas
Well put, BigBeatzz.

You guys are right, I too am really into the feel of vinyl. So much that I've fiddled with CDJs in stores and I can't imagine "jogging" while beatmatching.

That said, I'm 99% committed to CDJs. A big part of me wants to learn on whatever is the club standard, and I feel like it's simply that. Sure, I could see myself having fun with a DVS at home, but I want to be able to play out, and I feel like learning DVS before CDJ would inhibit this.
Sounds cool, new gear is always fun. My favorite CDJ's were the 800's...I'd bet the 850's are awesome also. I guess take a look at the CDJ 2000's features and compare based on the 850 or 900. The 2000 is the standard these days, if you are trying to be "gig ready", try and get as close as possible to those.

Good luck and enjoy it!
Malia Janise
Well put, BigBeatzz.

Johnetta Olewine

Just my 2 cents.
bang on. IMO after learning to DJ with real records, there is nothing out there beats playing a real record. Traktor scratch or serato will make the OP happy.
Karolis Petrauskas

Just my 2 cents.
Adrian Zadrozny
If we were all the same life would be boring. Also I'm sure you know this but vinyl through traktor is controlled via time coded vinyl discs. No need to re-build your music library.
Malia Janise
Adrian Zadrozny
How much do a set of 1200's go for these days?
Karolis Petrauskas
Adrian Zadrozny
Those are some great prices...
Treasa Maffucci
ya one of my friends bought a pair of refurbed 800s a year or 2 ago, one of them was DOA, but it was sent back and they promptly sent him a brand new 800. the cdjs have held up since then. another friend got a refurb djm700 (for 500! a steal!) and that thing was cherry, looked brand new and has held up like a tank.

personally i would prefer to buy factory refurbished as opposed to used via ebay/craigslist, as they usually run at about the same price, and with used you just never know what your going to get.
Malia Janise
Thanks for the heads-up! I coincidentally came across this a few hours ago. ~$840 for a 900, free shipping.

I searched Google and found a surprising little amount of comments on buying refurb from Pioneer. The only things I discovered are that:

-90 day warranty
-Paired unit's production date may differ, thus display brightness can vary
-May be spotless, may have light scratching

Nothing much beyond that, which is surprising because $840 is nearing the price I've seen them going for on Ebay and CL - odd since you believe for $40 (and tax) more, people would buy direct.
Treasa Maffucci
just a heads up, pioneer currently have some refurbished 850/900/2000s up on their website, which they rarely do. I have friends that have had good success with their refurbs. i just scored a set of 850s for a little over 1100 for the pair shipped, not too bad.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...-Media-Players
Malia Janise
I likely wouldn't go any lower than the MK3.

Problem is that I'm easily upsold, but I suppose the price jump from the 1000 to the 900 is indeed pretty large.
Danae Dumler
Originally Posted by TCMuc
So might advice would be: Get the CDJ-1000 mk3 or CDJ-800 mk2 now, and if you feel you want more features sell them in a year or so and upgrade, your chances of losing a significant amount of money in this deal are really small.
This is what I was going to say - if the rekordbox goodies are too dear price-wise, go for the 1000. It's still going to cost way more than it's worth because for some stupid reason Pioneer CDJs hold their value (despite there being an absolute glut of the things as well as a slew of new models). You'll be lucky to find used mk3s for less than $600, which is what I paid for my mk1 years ago (it was a floor model from Guitar Center that had seen some abuse). Even the mk1s and 2s go for $500 routinely. I'd go for the mk3 if possible because you have more control over the platter, which would be helpful since you're from a vinyl background, but if you aren't really interested in scratching or manipulating the platter much, the mk2s are great. The other big difference in the mk3 is a waveform display if you're into that sort of thing. The mk3 also plays mp3 CDs but it's really not worth it for that since you really can't easily manage that many songs on one CD, and it takes longer for them to load up; most people I've heard from who play on mk3s prefer to use regular CDs over mp3 CDs anyway.

The mk1 is fine too if you can find them, but there are a lot of annoyances - the platter is just ok; the digital outputs don't work for shit; looping is pretty inaccurate (I heard it is much better on the mk3, I'm not sure about the mk2 on this point). I believe the mk2 and 3 have larger buffers too which means less annoyance cueing things up. Short version: go for 1000mk3 if you can afford it; otherwise 1000mk2 will probably keep you happy for a while.
Nikole Resende
If you don't want USB/computer integration all the 850/900/2000(nexus) are just one thing: way to expensive. You'd be paying for stuff you don't even need.

If you don't need USB connectivity or don't want to use your CDJ as a controller for any DJ software, you don't need any of that new stuff these pieces of gear are offering.

As long as all you want is play CDs, get familiar with the concept of CDJs, and don't mind burning CDs and bringing them to the club, you should go for the CDJ 1000 mk3. The CDJ 1000 was initially released in 2001 and was the first CD Player that "led initial change from vinyl" as you put it. That player used to be the club standard for that time, and actually kind of still is, as many smaller clubs still haven't made the change to the 2000.
Their prices are typically pretty stable. I've never seen a serious price drop in the second hand market for pioneer players, even when a new generation model was released.

There also is the CDJ 800 mk2, that was meant as a "home version" of the CDJ 1000, giving DJs all the important functionalities of the CDJ 1000 they knew from the club at a lower price point for home use. Again, the features the 1000 offers over the 900 are not really necessary of all you want to do is get used to CDJ mixing.

So my advice would be: Get the CDJ-1000 mk3 or CDJ-800 mk2 now, and if you feel you want more features sell them in a year or so and upgrade, your chances of losing a significant amount of money in this deal are really small.
Laurence Calisto
it has no rekordbox, and honestly, the 400 is dropping below the threshhold where you'll even know how to work a large-format CDJ. the jog wheel has a VERY different feel from any of the larger CDJs.

the feel is very different. the muscle memory for tempo adjustments you'll develop will be inaccurate for larger decks.

edit: just to clarify, after enough time on cdjs i'm able to play by feel - i hear drift, i adjust by instinct without believeing. when i jumped from the s4 back to CDJs, I was way overcompensating for the small jog wheel. the small wheel on the 400s is definitely not going to give you that memory.
Malia Janise
I'll be sure to call Space ahead of time

Last question in case you're still up. I randomly saw the 400 has USB too. I imagine the the tradeoff from, say, paying more for USB on the 850 is Rekordbox?
Laurence Calisto
yup, people brought CDs everywhere.

also, it's not safe to say, call ahead or travel with usb and CDs
Malia Janise
This sounds like some Star Trek stuff.

Jokes aside, getting a pretty good grasp on where things are now. What were clubs like say 2005-2009 (pre USB etc)? Were people simply bringing their CD's everywhere like we used to with vinyl? And is it safe to say that now going forward, clubs will have USB-ready systems?

I believe I'll be tend towards the "less gear the better" approach, at least to start.

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy