Turntable for mixing/learning to scratch on?

Home :: Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topic :: Turntable for mixing/learning to scratch on?Reply
Turntable for mixing/learning to scratch on?
Posted on: 05.03.2013 by Iraida Linihan
Birthday coming up, GF told me to go buy some turntable to have some fun with, expand my horizon's. I'm a mobile and have not determined if it's something I would ad to my setup or not at this point. I was looking at the following turntables to have some fun with, learn to scratch on. Thoughts please?

Audio Technica AT-LP120 - $220
DJ-Tech SL1300 MK6 - $340
Stanton t.92 - $299

Of course I could also use a recommendation on some needles etc....

Thanks in advance!!!
Khadijah Wojtach
Also looking for a TT to start practicing. I'll be using my Kontrol S4 as the mixer, and I've been looking at the Audio Technica AT-LP120 USB and of course a used Technics 1210mk2/5. I live in EU so no US deals unfortunately - I'm currently using the german and british ebay sites. Most sellers only accept personal collection, so my choices are quite limited (good luck finding a used 12xx on the danish used marked without paying overprice).

I've found these three offers:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Technics-S...item460d5a33ab

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Technics-S...item3a7f06a3d3

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Technics-1...item460d5a1053

They all ship around EU, but all of them are more expensive than a brand new Audio Technica LP-120? Is it really worth it to buy one of those 1210s? We're talking
Neil Daavettila
Liking the idea of a mixer with filters, but ideally looking for something sub
Khadijah Wojtach
Also looking for a TT to start practicing. I'll be using my Kontrol S4 as the mixer, and I've been looking at the Audio Technica AT-LP120 USB and of course a used Technics 1210mk2/5. I live in EU so no US deals unfortunately - I'm currently using the german and british ebay sites. Most sellers only accept personal collection, so my choices are quite limited (good luck finding a used 12xx on the danish used marked without paying overprice).

They all ship around EU, but all of them are more expensive than a brand new Audio Technica LP-120? Is it really worth it to buy one of those 1210s? We're talking
Neil Daavettila
Khadijah Wojtach

Federico Vilas
Originally Posted by Vekked
Then you haven't looked for long. I bought a Technics 1200 + Vestax 06 for 200 not long ago, and my other pair of 1200s for 600 w/ flight cases + needles. At any given time you can pick up a 1200 for $350 online from someone who's reasonably in touch with the market. At least 1-2 times a month you see someone who's either desperate or doesn't realize that they're still valuable and puts one up for 250 or less, usually they go within 2-3 days though, so you have to be checking on a daily basis.
yep, I find stupid deals on 1200s all the time... I got a minty fresh mk5 with a 002xl mixer one time for $250.00....you have to check EVERY DAY... I also got 4 1200s for $200/each about a year ago...the deals are out there
Neil Daavettila
Nelida Ghouse
Originally Posted by sdrthedj
I am looking at buying a pair. The LP120's can be bought for $220 per piece. I haven't seen a pair of tech's close to $450
Then you haven't looked for long. I bought a Technics 1200 + Vestax 06 for 200 not long ago, and my other pair of 1200s for 600 w/ flight cases + needles. At any given time you can pick up a 1200 for $350 online from someone who's reasonably in touch with the market. At least 1-2 times a month you see someone who's either desperate or doesn't realize that they're still valuable and puts one up for 250 or less, usually they go within 2-3 days though, so you have to be checking on a daily basis.
Tegan Ruport
Originally Posted by Sam Hulley
Yeah that is a good point actually. I have my s2 for gigs and digital stuff.
Is there a cheap 2 channel mixer you could recommend?
Maryellen Buffett
As I've said I've really out the loop for what's crap good great or value for cash. The one I've been looking at for value for cash
Neil Daavettila
Originally Posted by Craig Willis
That is a very good deal mate, I would snap them up straight away! To be honest even if you feel its not for you, you will get your money back on that price. Str8-80s are the older model of the two but I prefer the look of them to the redesigned look but as said you wont go wrong.

Good luck!
Cheers I will get on that, its pick up not too far from me either. Just need to find a mixer now.
Tegan Ruport
I have found a pair of Stanton T.80's used which come with carts needles and slipmats, for
Maryellen Buffett
I've just got my str8 150 delivered yesterday. After just a couple of hours having a mess with them I can not believe the quality of them compaired to the heap of crap I was using. They were second hand and the only thing I've noticed that is showing slight ware on the letters of 2 of the buttons (speed and start stop) apart from that I've checked everything I can believe of (which isn't much lol) and the are spot on.

I may have paid slightly top end for them but still believe it was a good deal at
Bethann Olortegui
depends how old they are and what condition they're in.
Neil Daavettila
I have found a pair of Stanton T.80's used which come with carts needles and slipmats, for
Khadijah Wojtach

Federico Vilas
Originally Posted by Vekked
yep, I find stupid deals on 1200s all the time... I got a minty fresh mk5 with a 002xl mixer one time for $250.00....you have to check EVERY DAY... I also got 4 1200s for $200/each about a year ago...the deals are out there
Maryellen Buffett
Vekked, just watching some of your clips on YouTube (I'm guessing its u lol)
AMAZING!
Neil Daavettila
Maryellen Buffett
Silly question but do all the effects on that pioneer mixer work without a lap top and just as a normal standard set up?
Nelida Ghouse
I am looking at buying a pair. The LP120's can be bought for $220 per piece. I haven't seen a pair of tech's close to $450
Tegan Ruport
Maryellen Buffett
As I've said I've really out the loop for what's crap good great or value for cash. The one I've been looking at for value for cash
Neil Daavettila
Originally Posted by Craig Willis
That is a very good deal mate, I would snap them up straight away! To be honest even if you feel its not for you, you will get your money back on that price. Str8-80s are the older model of the two but I prefer the look of them to the redesigned look but as said you wont go wrong.

Good luck!
Cheers I will get on that, its pick up not too far from me either. Just need to find a mixer now.
Neil Daavettila
Tegan Ruport
Maryellen Buffett
Why get dvs? I've only just got back on the decks after having to do the boring part of life (get married n buy house n spend all money on what wifey wants dong To the house n yes she would kill me if she got to see that lol) n I can't believe whats now available!!

Go right back to basics, cheapish mixer, a shed load of vinyl (eBay almost givin it away) and just a couple of TT's. once you master it without all the extra stuff n had a bit of fun learning then spend to improve the set up u have!
Neil Daavettila
Wish I could get the Str8 150's, but I have an s2, so would need to shell out for a mixer too.
And to set up DVS seems like another expensive job. The guy said he would throw in 15 vinyl's too so if I get a cheap mixer I could just play around with them and decide if DVS is for me. Sorry I am a completely digital DJ (don't hate me) but want to learn things from scratch (sorry for the pun).

Anything else I will need apart from a mixer?
Maryellen Buffett
I've just got my str8 150 delivered yesterday. After just a couple of hours having a mess with them I can not believe the quality of them compaired to the heap of crap I was using. They were second hand and the only thing I've noticed that is showing slight ware on the letters of 2 of the buttons (speed and start stop) apart from that I've checked everything I can believe of (which isn't much lol) and the are spot on.

I may have paid slightly top end for them but still believe it was a good deal at
Bethann Olortegui
depends how old they are and what condition they're in.
Neil Daavettila
Federico Vilas
you can find a pair out there if you are patient on craigslist...people get desperate and have to pay bills sometimes...even in OHIO... you can always order super OEMS from sweetwater.com or americanmusical.com and use payment plan/financing...if you don't like them returns are easy... and restocking fees aren't bad
Iraida Linihan
Originally Posted by matrick
the audio technica is a sound deck for its price range and great for learning the basics on. are you looking to buy a pair? sorry to echo what's been said before, but for the price of 2 brand new LP120s you're not far off a second hand pair of stantons or technics. worth bearing in mind.

Hanna Ridenbaugh
I'm in the same boat as you. Been looking at super oem tables, here is a list I grabbed off another community

Synq XTRM1
Stanton T.120/
Reloop RP6000
STR8-150/ST 150
Akiyama Acura
Citronic PD45
Omnitronic DD5250
American Audio HTD4.5

they are all good apparently. ;-)
Bethann Olortegui
the audio technica is a sound deck for its price range and great for learning the basics on. are you looking to buy a pair? sorry to echo what's been said before, but for the price of 2 brand new LP120s you're not far off a second hand pair of stantons or technics. worth bearing in mind.
Nelida Ghouse
Audio Technica AT-LP120 - Not sure how the torque is, but haven't heard good things about build quality.
DJ-Tech SL1300 MK6 - seen some respectable DJs cutting on them decently, haven't tried them myself, they seem decent but I'll try and ask someone who I know has used them.
Stanton t.92 - Man, the Str8-150s are probably the best all around deck right now but I'm not sure about the 92s... I *believe* they're pretty close to the 1200s, the 150s are mostly over kill for straight DJing but great for scratching.

Out of the above 3 I'd lean towards the DJ Tech ones since I've seen them in use by decent DJs, the other 2 I haven't. For other decks:

Avoid Numark TTXs, be wary of PDXs. TTXs I believe are decent but they have been known to break down, and I believe the Str8-150s and PDXs pretty much trump them on every feature now. PDXs are sweet but a lot of people have issues with getting warped platters it seems. Str8-150s are great decks but really heavy... kind of expensive new, but no issues otherwise.

There's some truth to the 1200s thing. I don't believe they're the be all and end all function-wise... like I believe it's a stretch considering them the "best" turntable anymore, BUT they're still probably the best value... Like you can find them on the used market for <300 each pretty easily and get the exact same if not more when you sell them. I dunno why but turntable prices haven't really dropped at all, so my 1st recommendation to anyone looking for decks is still used 1200s after all this time... you'd believe that some company would just copy the 1200 and make it like $200 new and clean up but maybe it's just that expensive to build.
Doreen Schurle
Originally Posted by DjLiquitATL
I started with Gemini xl-500 mKII ... I wouldn't invest a lot of money until you see if you even like ttables. I'm a big tech 1200 nerd but am very open minded bc not everyone has the same budget. I've been so broke before I sold my 1200s and rocked a party with a cheap laptop, pcdj red (1st version), and a radio shack mixer. It doesn't matter what you get if you know how to select the right tracks to play
Same here; first TTs were the exact same ones. Strangely, I never felt the need to go to Technics though. If you look at the actual SPECS of most decks, the Technics lag significantly behind in terms of torque and acceleration. The SuperOEM TTs (like the Stantons, the Numarks, and the DJ Tech) are all very good and will do you nicely as a starter pair of TTs.

SoundLab DLP-32s aren't bad either, I've got a pair here at the moment, although unless you can get a pair MUCH cheaper than the SuperOEM ones, I'd go for the latter.

EDIT: Also worth noting is, with any of the USB-enabled decks (of which the Stanton is one) you could theoretically use a pair of timecode vinyls with VDJ, WITHOUT a dedicated 4-in-4-out audio interface.
Federico Vilas
I started with Gemini xl-500 mKII ... I wouldn't invest a lot of money until you see if you even like ttables. I'm a big tech 1200 nerd but am very open minded bc not everyone has the same budget. I've been so broke before I sold my 1200s and rocked a party with a cheap laptop, pcdj red (1st version), and a radio shack mixer. It doesn't matter what you get if you know how to select the right tracks to play
Emelina Chillson
Go with the Audio Technica Bruv.
Elsie Golis
Sorry mate, you're right. I'm pretty narrowminded when it comes to turntables, my first pair of turntables were and still are technics because I thought I'd end up wanting technics after I buy cheap turntables. I've never even tried or touched any different turntables because there are no other turntables in clubs and I've never felt the need to.

but going straight for technics would probably save you money in the long run. Plus, you can still sell techncis for a very good price while you'd loose a lot of money trying to sell other cheap TTs

I've also heard great things about the audio technica one but I never got the chance to compare them to a technics yet.

I also heard Vestax PDX tables are really nice. But again, out of your price range.

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy