Xone DB4 Soundcard, Traktor Timecode Problem, DVS Solutions

Home :: Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topic :: Xone DB4 Soundcard, Traktor Timecode Problem, DVS SolutionsReply
Xone DB4 Soundcard, Traktor Timecode Problem, DVS Solutions
Posted on: 03.04.2013 by Joseph Maeda
First I would like to thank anyone who helps in advance. It is hugely appreciated.
Here is where I currently stand. Let me tell you my set up and what I am hoping to accomplish. If you can help me, you would be my hero. I would literally pay cash money. (honestly, paypal!)

I am using:
2x CDJ 2000
Xone DB4

Maintaining digital integrity throughout my signal routing is important to me to ensure highest audio quality. I currently run---Rekordbox with .AIFF files via ethernet hub to CDJ's.
CDJ's connected via spdif to DB4.
DB4 digital output (spdif) to ApogeeEnsemble digital in.
Ableton for recording and output routing (i have this system connected to 2 rooms).
Speakers-- Dynaudio 2.1 System (2x Bm5A & BM9S--same in both rooms)
Mac Pro w/ Lion
It sounds truly incredible.

DIrectly next to this set up I have my "analog" set up. I started on vinyl 15 years ago and have pretty recently moved into the CDJ & digital world and left this set up untouched.
2x 1210's
Vestax PMC 05 Pro IV
Serato SL4
(All connected with RCA cables)
RCA connected to Apogee Ensemble for Ableton as well.

I have kept these systems separate due to the DB4 cross fader not being reasonable for the scratching I do. Now that they have a replacement scratch fader for the DB4, I want to combine my systems. I want timecode for the turntables & cdj's (or HID for CDJ's) but I want to use the DB4's internal digital soundcard to maintain a digital signal throughout and to eliminate the need for any additional (lesser quality/clunky/analog output) soundcard. The card on the DB4 is supposedly one of the best sounding cards available and I am very excited to make this dream become a reality. I am creating my own high quality digital audio samples for scratching.

So, Ideally I am looking to allow traktor timecode via the DB4 soundcard. I would be open to pretty much any DVS software that I could do this with although I would definitely like to have 4 decks available at all times. In a perfect world I would be able to mix and match the 4 channels of the DB4 between my cdj's, turntables w/ timecode, and synced traktor tracks, keeping everything digital to avoid unneeded DA/AD conversions and eliminating the need for an additional, lesser quality analog soundcard. The sound I have been able to create so far in this system is incredible and this would tie everything together perfectly. I have been scouring the internet and racking my brain for possible solutions.

So, now that you have all the background information-- I have no problems purchasing any software if I can make this dream work. I read about a MOD in traktor that will allow timecode for non-certified soundcards. Not sure if this is possible on the Mac OS or with recent versions of traktor. I also looked at MixVibes Cross but I dont believe it will support 4 decks or how the sound quality of the software and timecode is. I am open to pretty much any solution to this problem. Please help!
What are your thoughts? Does anyone have any other ideas? Is there any way to accomplish my goals? If there is a choice, what is the best way? Any info, help or pointers is hugely appreciated. I am truly grateful for any and all help. Thanks so much for taking the time to assist. .
Joseph Maeda
Originally Posted by makar1
Yes, they are loop-based effects. You could get a hardware delay/loop pedal, but since the DB4 has no dedicated send/return you'd need to use some routing trickery, or just put it on the master..
thanks...
i was hoping for the post fader looping solution to be within TSP... ideally the only additional hardware used would be a midi foot pedal to trigger the looping... the search continues.....
appreciate your help..
Joseph Maeda
Delay FRZ and Beatmasher can be used in post-fader mode depending on your hardware.
those are all effects, no?
i am hoping to trigger loops with a midi foot pedal, post fader, to loop live scratches from TSP timecode vinyl.... then in a perfect world, apply effects within traktor and on the DB4 hardware itself, while the loop plays...
Danae Dumler
Originally Posted by MrPopinjay
DB4- no idea.
It's doable with a K2; I suppose it would be a challenge hitting the right button with your foot though This could be rigged with a bass drum pedal and some strings I imagine.... But why would you want to anyway - if you're playing stuff through traktor the looper there is far more accurate.
Delila Vandommelen
What features does the CDJ2000 have that Traktor does not?
Start/stop speed adjust has no effect. Last time I tried reverse playback the switch wasn't assigned, I'm guessing it's still the same...
Joseph Maeda
Hey Bob,
That will be a great option and will most likely be what I end up doing once I get this resolved. In my current configuration I have the 2nd (vestax) mixer routed to the apogee as well, thus allowing me to mix digitally (DB4) and step aside to lay some scratches on top with the Vestax--- all recorded on separate channels in Ableton. Thanks!
Originally Posted by DJ Bob
why not run a usb from the DB4 straight in to your mac and record straight into ableton/traktor from the soundcard? loads easier than going through the apogee and probably sounds just as good if not better as it will be a more direct source...
Danae Dumler
Is the resolution higher? I'd be a little surprised if it was as timecode is not purely based upon a finite number of ticks. Still, I'm just speculating here.

The advantages is that you can display track info on the screen and use all the buttons on the CDJ like the cue point and looping features. With a DVS you can only really use the the platter, play button and pitch fader.
Ahhh I see. Why don't the cue point buttons work; it's like skipping around with a needle on vinyl? I guess that would only work in absolute mode though... Or do recent CDJs disable the buttons somehow? My CDJ-1000 mk1 let me use them as I recall (though come to believe of it I only used it with Serato timecode not Traktor). The track info is useful but overkill; presumably if you're using traktor you have whatever info you need already displayed on the computer screen. Ultimately if you want the full features of the CDJ-2000s I would use them with a USB stick instead of Traktor (and just direct through if you want Traktor for your vinyl DVS on the other two decks). But I'm just speculating now....
Joseph Maeda
Yes, they are loop-based effects. You could get a hardware delay/loop pedal, but since the DB4 has no dedicated send/return you'd need to use some routing trickery, or just put it on the master..
thanks...
i was hoping for the post fader looping solution to be within TSP... ideally the only additional hardware used would be a midi foot pedal to trigger the looping... the search continues.....
appreciate your help..
Alphonso Deitchman
Joseph Maeda
Delay FRZ and Beatmasher can be used in post-fader mode depending on your hardware.
those are all effects, no?
i am hoping to trigger loops with a midi foot pedal, post fader, to loop live scratches from TSP timecode vinyl.... then in a perfect world, apply effects within traktor and on the DB4 hardware itself, while the loop plays...
Alphonso Deitchman
Joseph Maeda
my thought on the DB4 looper is that I know I can loop scratches post fader. As I am still introducing myself to traktor, I am not sure if this is possible or how to do it within the software.
Any advice on how to do this in traktor or links to info is greatly appreciated. I agree it should be much better to do it within traktor if possible. Thanks again, everyone.
Danae Dumler
DB4- no idea.
It's doable with a K2; I suppose it would be a challenge hitting the right button with your foot though This could be rigged with a bass drum pedal and some strings I imagine.... But why would you want to anyway - if you're playing stuff through traktor the looper there is far more accurate.
Kiyoko Wellisch
DB4- no idea.

Traktor- connect a midi foot pedal to your computer and map the desired looping functions to it the way you would any other controller. Behringer make a nice USB midi foot pedal controller that might be worth checking out.
Joseph Maeda
Does anybody know how I could connect a foot pedal to activate looping on the DB4 or within traktor? I want to loop live scratches from timecode vinyl that will be playing in traktor and routed through the DB4 via USB. Many Thanks!
Delila Vandommelen
Start/stop speed adjust has no effect. Last time I tried reverse playback the switch wasn't assigned, I'm guessing it's still the same...
Joseph Maeda
Hey Bob,
That will be a great option and will most likely be what I end up doing once I get this resolved. In my current configuration I have the 2nd (vestax) mixer routed to the apogee as well, thus allowing me to mix digitally (DB4) and step aside to lay some scratches on top with the Vestax--- all recorded on separate channels in Ableton. Thanks!
Originally Posted by DJ Bob
why not run a usb from the DB4 straight in to your mac and record straight into ableton/traktor from the soundcard? loads easier than going through the apogee and probably sounds just as good if not better as it will be a more direct source...
Kiyoko Wellisch
Well some people have the whole timecode cue slip issue but I've never found it to be that much of a problem. Might be because I tap pretty slowly though.

Well with HID I imagine you could just close the laptop lid and use the CDJ screens, which I would hugely prefer.

Danae Dumler
Is the resolution higher? I'd be a little surprised if it was as timecode is not purely based upon a finite number of ticks. Still, I'm just speculating here.

The advantages is that you can display track info on the screen and use all the buttons on the CDJ like the cue point and looping features. With a DVS you can only really use the the platter, play button and pitch fader.
Ahhh I see. Why don't the cue point buttons work; it's like skipping around with a needle on vinyl? I guess that would only work in absolute mode though... Or do recent CDJs disable the buttons somehow? My CDJ-1000 mk1 let me use them as I recall (though come to believe of it I only used it with Serato timecode not Traktor). The track info is useful but overkill; presumably if you're using traktor you have whatever info you need already displayed on the computer screen. Ultimately if you want the full features of the CDJ-2000s I would use them with a USB stick instead of Traktor (and just direct through if you want Traktor for your vinyl DVS on the other two decks). But I'm just speculating now....
Kiyoko Wellisch

Danae Dumler
I'm just ignorant here but in what ways is HID so much better than timecode? Higher resolution is always nice I'm sure, but I never feel like I'm lacking much when playing timecode. Granted I play vinyl and DVS, not CDJs most of the time, but when I have used CDJs I find the big limitation to be the crappy feeling of a nonrotating pastic platter rather than missing resolution in the timecode.
Kiyoko Wellisch
I wonder if Mixxx does. Mixxx *should* have the best compatibility with anything as anyone can add support for anything they want, providing they have the technical know how. I don't believe anyone has made CDJ HID support yet... Could be wrong though.
Alphonso Deitchman
Mjo was using the CDJ 2000s with HID, which is much much better than timecode.

Afaik only Traktor, Serato, and Cross have HID compatibility. Maybe VDJ too.
Danae Dumler
I believe all Serato audio has to go through their hardware, and 3rd party audio devices can't be used at all.

And I don't believe any of the alternatives you've mentioned have good integration with the CDJ 2000s?
Is Cross DVS any good?
Don't know anything about Cross, but what kind of CDJ 2000 integration do you want? If you have timecode up and running what's the dealbreaker?
Kiyoko Wellisch
Super neglected. Apparently the guy who was porting it was more interested in cute itunes integration than anything else, which seems odd. Still, I've never spoken to the guy.
Alphonso Deitchman
I believe all Serato audio has to go through their hardware, and 3rd party audio devices can't be used at all.

And I don't believe any of the alternatives you've mentioned have good integration with the CDJ 2000s?
Is Cross DVS any good?
Danae Dumler
Actually I'd recommend trying Mixxx first as it's free (as in beer and as in freedom) and very easy to set up. You can try it out with no cost and minimal effort

P.S. fuck yeah djproben, xwaxxxxxx
^^^ Sadly as far as I can tell, the mac port looks pretty neglected though.

Forgot about Mixxx but yeah that's another good alternative, though it only has two decks. It will probably suit the original poster well as he seems to be looking for a straight up DVS solution without worrying too much about effects and features.
Kiyoko Wellisch
Actually I'd recommend trying Mixxx first as it's free (as in beer and as in freedom) and very easy to set up. You can try it out with no cost and minimal effort

P.S. fuck yeah djproben, xwaxxxxxx
Danae Dumler
Since you're open to any DVS software (and I assume you're not wedded to Traktor at all, having used Serato), I'd take a look at xwax, Virtual DJ, MsPinky, and Deckadance, all of which do not share Traktor's timecode restrictions. MsPinky and I believe Deckadance have the advantage of being usable from within Ableton Live if that's your thing, and Deckadance and VDJ both allow you to use VST effects (which would be helpful since neither has effects anywhere close to as good as Traktor).

Also since you're using Serato, check if you can use Serato as a dongle as someone mentioned above. I didn't know it was possible but if it is, you can connect the Serato card you already have and still go through the DB4 sound card.

Renaming the sound card won't work on the Mac as far as I can tell. There are "improved" versions of Traktor floating around without these silly restrictions but those are unmentionable.
Alphonso Deitchman
Not sure if it works anymore, but have you tried creating an aggregate device and naming it "Audio 8 DJ"?
Kiyoko Wellisch
There is no "dongle activation" with Traktor like there is with Serato. You just need a correctly named audio interface for Traktor to see.
How do you do this with OSX?
Alphonso Deitchman
There is no "dongle activation" with Traktor like there is with Serato. You just need a correctly named audio interface for Traktor to see.
Tamela Batara
Yes. This works. But how do you rename a soundcard on a Mac?
Leon Albornoz
Does the Audio 10 actually has a "software dongle" built-in? Has anyone tried something as simple as renaming the soundcard to Audio8 or Audio10 and get timecode support?
Alphonso Deitchman
Only the DN-X1700 has digital inputs, I forgot to check that since I knew the X1600 does not.

So DN-X1700 and DJM 900 only.
Tamela Batara
If an all digital, 4 channel mixer setup is a necessity, the DJM 900 is your only "out the box" option for Traktor timecode use. Except for the Denon DN-X1600 and DN-X1700
Fixed for greater accuracy.

Other Traktor certified mixers are available though, A&H 4D, Ecler Evo5, Korg Zero 4 / 8, and DJM 850.
Alphonso Deitchman
If an all digital mixer setup is a necessity, the DJM 900 is your only option for Traktor timecode use.
Amira Gotcher
Meridith Betsinger
Simple answer?
There is no solution.

The db4 mixer in all it's greatness is NOT Traktor certified, hence the obligation to use an extra soundcard for Timecode.
Stupid? Yes, very much so especially considering it's one of the most expensive mixers on the market today.

The irony is if you did get a timecode soundcard and did an audio aggregate with the timecode card and the db4 soundcard, you could potentially make this work (using the timecode on the card, and sound card on the db4) but because of the aggregated devices not being an "Audio4""8"10"/whatever Traktor wouldn't see the card as such and you would then potentially lose timecode capability.....

ps:don't expect people to read such long posts. Look at audio aggregate naming options for potential work arounds but such discussion are not welcomed on most community s as it's not consider exactly legal ....
Gaynell Rydberg
I was under the impression that you can nly do the timecode trick on Windows.

You need to get a Traktor A10 I believe to get the certification.

I'll let someone else more knowledgeable confirm or correct though.

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy