Worth taking the plunge from CDJ-900 to CDJ-2000 Nexus (in HID with Traktor)?

Home :: Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topic :: Worth taking the plunge from CDJ-900 to CDJ-2000 Nexus (in HID with Traktor)?Reply
Worth taking the plunge from CDJ-900 to CDJ-2000 Nexus (in HID with Traktor)?
Posted on: 24.04.2013 by Toya Spor
See subject. I'm debating whether or not to purchase a pair of CDJ-2000s or CDJ-900s. They will be used in HID mode with Traktor, likely with a DJM-750 or Kontrol Z2. I have never used a CDJ before.

The main questions I have are:
1. Is the workflow significantly different between the two models? Say my laptop fails and I can't use Traktor. Will I be able to pick up on the 2000 workflow easily after using the 900 without Traktor?
2. I know the platters on the 2000 are adjustable while they are not on the 900. How is the feel of the 900 platter? Can you scratch with it reasonably well?
3. Is the feature difference between the 900 and 2000 like light and day, or not really worth the extra dough?

The main thing is that the clubs where I live mainly have CDJ-2000s from what I know, so I want to be familiar playing on them when I do gigs. I fear walking into a gig and having them say "you can't use your controller, we have CDJs set up, yada yada", and not knowing how to use them well.
Jeffrey Akinsanya
Originally Posted by makar1
The 2000 gives you a much higher resolution waveform, and BPM to 1 decimal place. The Nexus screen has no benefit over the 2000Mk1 for Traktor use as far as I know.
i didn't know about the bpm, seeing the ball park is enough anyways (this is a novelty to some like me)
as for the the screen i try to ignore that fact lol (i knw its much better)

all there features kinda go out the window once your using it in traktor anyways....

cdj 2000 screen vs laptop screen hmmmmm

(i believe i might give it a try this weekend)
Toya Spor
See subject. I'm debating whether or not to purchase a pair of CDJ-2000s or CDJ-900s. They will be used in HID mode with Traktor, likely with a DJM-750 or Kontrol Z2. I have never used a CDJ before.

The main questions I have are:
1. Is the workflow significantly different between the two models? Say my laptop fails and I can't use Traktor. Will I be able to pick up on the 2000 workflow easily after using the 900 without Traktor?
2. I know the platters on the 2000 are adjustable while they are not on the 900. How is the feel of the 900 platter? Can you scratch with it reasonably well?
3. Is the feature difference between the 900 and 2000 like light and day, or not really worth the extra dough?

The main thing is that the clubs where I live mainly have CDJ-2000s from what I know, so I want to be familiar playing on them when I do gigs. I fear walking into a gig and having them say "you can't use your controller, we have CDJs set up, yada yada", and not knowing how to use them well.
Alla Bluemke
I agree with everyone here. There is no point to upgrade to nexus if you intend on using traktor all the time. The functionality is just duplicated then. You should just get 900s. If you don't then 2000 nexus is definitely a great choice.
Jeffrey Akinsanya
Originally Posted by makar1
The 2000 gives you a much higher resolution waveform, and BPM to 1 decimal place. The Nexus screen has no benefit over the 2000Mk1 for Traktor use as far as I know.
i didn't know about the bpm, seeing the ball park is enough anyways (this is a novelty to some like me)
as for the the screen i try to ignore that fact lol (i knw its much better)

all there features kinda go out the window once your using it in traktor anyways....

cdj 2000 screen vs laptop screen hmmmmm

(i believe i might give it a try this weekend)
Alphonso Deitchman
Jeffrey Akinsanya
I've got a set of 900 and there great tho the feature i miss that i would use regally from the 2000 (let alone nexus) is the hot cues.. im not even using traktor yet... i only have a analog mixer as well so im kinda limited at the moment

you'll have alot of functionality with a pair of cdj 900 and midi mixer with a built in interface such as the z2..

if your looking at the z2 / dim 750 i wouldnt discount the denon x1600 which i personally believe is great bang for buck.

as for the work flow between 900 - nexus 2000 (via usb) isnt it fundamentally the same?????? just one being with a dot matrix display the other being a colour backlit.
personally i dont see the point of the upgrade if you just want to use it within traktor (its alot of money for somthing you've half got) get another modular midi device with the money you will save.. giving you the option to use cdj's
Alphonso Deitchman
There is almost no benefit to the Nexus over the 2000 Mk1 when using as HID controllers in Traktor.
Zachery Eenigenburg
I have 2 x cdj 2000 nxs, i haven't and won't use them via traktor in HID as they easy and nice to use with USB/rekordbox. The platter is alot nicer than on the previous cdj 2000. If you are wanting to use them as controllers for Traktor i would save your money as i just dont see the point of the upgrade.
Anissa Perusek
Don't really know why'd you need a laptop with 900s, let alone 2000s. But who am I to judge?! I'd stick with the 900s.
Elsie Golis
the 2000 is not worth it unless you get the nexus. The platter feel on the 900's is fucking brilliant and whenever I have to play on 2000 (never actually but i get to play on them in a dj store a little) I always try to match the platter adjustment with the feel of the 900's. The 900's platters feel just right imo and I can scratch awesomely with them.

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy