New to turntables .. Need help

Home :: Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topic :: New to turntables .. Need helpReply
New to turntables .. Need help
Posted on: 09.05.2013 by Malisa Aivazian
Hi everybody.

I've been DJing almost 10 years now, but never played any vinyl.
Well, i have taken the challenge to learn this fine art and bought myself a couple of 1210MK2 and a DJM-T1, so i'm running a DVS system.

As i am not in any way familiar with turntables i have a few questions after playing around.

1: Is there a guide somewhere to setup the tone arm correctly with the right pressure? The method i was told seems to put way to less weight on the needle, making it jump like crazy when moving the record.

2: This could be me being a complete noob, but i have the feeling that the record is speeding up too slow when letting it go? .. When performing simple baby scratches i have to give the record just the right amount of push to get it up to speed or else it will take quite a bit of time to reach normal speed. My first thought was, that it was maybe possible to adjust the torque of the table, but it doesn't seem to be the deck itself that needs time speeding up, but more like the slipmat is too smooth to grab the record properly. Is that an option? -it is Ortofon slipmats, but i now nothing about the subject, so have no idea if there is different kind af slipmats for the purpose.

Hope you guys can help a TT amateur
Malisa Aivazian
Hi everybody.

I've been DJing almost 10 years now, but never played any vinyl.
Well, i have taken the challenge to learn this fine art and bought myself a couple of 1210MK2 and a DJM-T1, so i'm running a DVS system.

As i am not in any way familiar with turntables i have a few questions after playing around.

1: Is there a guide somewhere to setup the tone arm correctly with the right pressure? The method i was told seems to put way to less weight on the needle, making it jump like crazy when moving the record.

2: This could be me being a complete noob, but i have the feeling that the record is speeding up too slow when letting it go? .. When performing simple baby scratches i have to give the record just the right amount of push to get it up to speed or else it will take quite a bit of time to reach normal speed. My first thought was, that it was maybe possible to adjust the torque of the table, but it doesn't seem to be the deck itself that needs time speeding up, but more like the slipmat is too smooth to grab the record properly. Is that an option? -it is Ortofon slipmats, but i now nothing about the subject, so have no idea if there is different kind af slipmats for the purpose.

Hope you guys can help a TT amateur
Malisa Aivazian
Thanks alot!

After my post yesterday i did some more googling around and i aslo found, that people are finding Traktor control vinyl different og each side. I flipped the record and yes! -much MUCH better. Exactly as i wanted it to feel like.

I will try to adjust the tonearm that way. I was also told to make the needle just hoover over the record, but i wasn't aware that i needed the specification from the manufacturer - i was told just to put it on "2" after setting the small ring at "0".

What about the anti-skating adjustment then?
Yong Aptekar
How are you adjusting the weight on your headshell? Make your tonearm "float" by turning the weigh at the back until the headshell hovers over your platter. If it touches down, take the weight back, and if it shoots up into the air, put some weight back on. Once it is floating, turn the plastic ring on the weight until it says 0. DO NOT turn the whole weight, or you will have to start over. Your arm should still be floating. Then turn the weight to whatever is suggested by your headshell company. I am using Shure whitelabels, and set them between 2.5 and 3.0 depending on if I'm mixing or scratching. This should set your arm up. If you are still getting skipping issues, move the cartridge on your headshell right to the front. Try to avoid adding more weight, as you will dig the grooves on your records, and lower their life.
Are you using traktor timecode? If so, use the side that doesn't have the traktor logo. Seems like a lot of people, myself included, find that with the logo up, the record spins too easily (might be bowled).
As long as you can hold a steady ring of dots at 33 rpm, your platter should be fine.

For skipping, a light touch is what is needed on turntables, and practice will help you skip less. I can scratch like a daemon with my left hand without a skip, but my right hand makes the needle jump, and slows the platter right down because I don't use that hand enough.

Sorry for the essay, hope it helps.

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy