This is beyond ridiculous (CDJ looping)

Home :: Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topic :: This is beyond ridiculous (CDJ looping)Reply
This is beyond ridiculous (CDJ looping)
Posted on: 14.05.2013 by Devora Chait
SO I've wanted an upgrade for a while and I decided on the 1000mk3. I had the 200's so this is a decent step up.
Bought second-hand but they look as new. One thing I just don't get is the pricetag on these things. Not too long ago they were industry standard and were pretty close to the 2000's current pricetag.

Here's the thing, I don't believe it's worth the money. Maybe I SUCK as a DJ but I don't believe so, I really hope so, but I doubt it. My main issue is: LOOPING! This is a product which you pay over 1k for and it can't even create a decent loop? I don't expect it to be on the level of digital software but the frames are so inaccurate I have to put the second track 1 BPM down AND nudge it all the time just to keep it in beat. Do I make it the tiniest fraction possible shorter? It will go way too fast and I'll have to adjust the other way around. This is in the most extreme cases but still...

So basically, they implemented the loop function to use on the fly and extend outro's and intro's.. right? Even IF I get it just right (which is a bit of a crapshoot really) it will still be off and no ammount of adjusting will get me a decent loop. Don't get me wrong, it works, but only 50% of the time, so it' s way too risky to use in a live set cause I don't know if it'll completely fuck off my "sync" and go offbeat within 8 seconds, or if it'll work out, and that's not even taking in the fact that I might hit the loop-out or in a fraction too late.

So what am I missing here? Is this a crapshoot? Does no-one use it for live looping? Practice? WHAT IS THIS FOR IF IT DOESN'T WORK PROPERLY. I just need to know so I'll know if I'm wasting time with this or not. If the 2000's and 900's are the only CDJ's that do a decent job at looping I believe I'll sell my shit and just switch to traktor, it's all really cool but I expect decent functionality for the insane price. Sorry for my rant, I'm just a frustrated geezer haha...
Doreen Schurle
Originally Posted by Woah
I believe I'll sell my shit and just switch to traktor
Do it
Alphonso Deitchman
No, the discussion has not been strictly limited to the CDJ 1000s. I was replying directly to the following statement:
when I play out the quantized looping will come easy in comparison.
Tesha Freudenstein
Originally Posted by makar1
You still have to set all your beatgrids manually for quantized loops (and use USB sticks rather than CDs). Rekordbox is quite bad compared to Traktor at getting the right BPM, and the grids are in the wrong place quite often.
we are talking 1000s here.
Merlyn Birchfield
Originally Posted by JayRuss
Try looping on turntables, then you'll see your moaning about nothing , but srs its all about timing , and always expect to make minor adjustments. i also find the shorter the loop i am the more accurate it is aswell for some reason
I'm not new to tables

I get your point, but I'm just saying... Traktor has spoiled me when it comes to looping.
Bethann Olortegui
on the 1000s, you will never get 100% accurate loops all of the time due to human error. you're not a robot, but you can get more accurate with practice. if your loop is slightly out, use the jogwheel to compensate and 'beatmatch' the loop back in to time when it comes around again.
if you want perfectly quantised loops all of the time, you need to go software

Originally Posted by hellnegative
Once you get the looping down man, everything else is amazing on the mk3's I do wish they had the autoloop function fromt he 800s tho.
this
Ngoc Ninow

Here's the thing, I don't believe it's worth the money. Maybe I SUCK as a DJ but I don't believe so, I really hope so, but I doubt it. My main issue is: LOOPING! This is a product which you pay over 1k for and it can't even create a decent loop? I don't expect it to be on the level of digital software but the frames are so inaccurate I have to put the second track 1 BPM down AND nudge it all the time just to keep it in beat. Do I make it the tiniest fraction possible shorter? It will go way too fast and I'll have to adjust the other way around. This is in the most extreme cases but still...

So basically, they implemented the loop function to use on the fly and extend outro's and intro's.. right? Even IF I get it just right (which is a bit of a crapshoot really) it will still be off and no ammount of adjusting will get me a decent loop. Don't get me wrong, it works, but only 50% of the time, so it' s way too risky to use in a live set cause I don't know if it'll completely fuck off my "sync" and go offbeat within 8 seconds, or if it'll work out, and that's not even taking in the fact that I might hit the loop-out or in a fraction too late.

So what am I missing here? Is this a crapshoot? Does no-one use it for live looping? Practice? WHAT IS THIS FOR IF IT DOESN'T WORK PROPERLY. I just need to know so I'll know if I'm wasting time with this or not. If the 2000's and 900's are the only CDJ's that do a decent job at looping I believe I'll sell my shit and just switch to traktor, it's all really cool but I expect decent functionality for the insane price. Sorry for my rant, I'm just a frustrated geezer haha...
Dude, don't sweat it. I had similar feelings when I bought my CDJs about 12 months ago, and I knew that they weren't quantised. Like everyone has said, just keep practicing and getting a feel for it...It will come in time. Stick with it, practice and hang in there and you will reap some rewards. It will all click in to place before you know it!
Tesha Freudenstein
Ive never had an issue with looping on 800, 800 mk2, 1000, 1000 mk3, or dvj. It just takes [ractice to get your timings correct bruv. Dont let yourself get frustrated.
^this. i can get some decent loops out of my 800s, so i'm sure it's possible on the 1000s. just no crutches. comes down to you on how accurate they are.

don't know how much of a tip that is to you, but tapping along next to "out" button helped me to get the loops in time. in any case you'll probably have to make some adjustements while the loop is playing.
Doreen Schurle
I believe I'll sell my shit and just switch to traktor
Do it
Alphonso Deitchman
No, the discussion has not been strictly limited to the CDJ 1000s. I was replying directly to the following statement:
when I play out the quantized looping will come easy in comparison.
Tesha Freudenstein
Originally Posted by makar1
You still have to set all your beatgrids manually for quantized loops (and use USB sticks rather than CDs). Rekordbox is quite bad compared to Traktor at getting the right BPM, and the grids are in the wrong place quite often.
we are talking 1000s here.
Merlyn Birchfield
Originally Posted by JayRuss
Try looping on turntables, then you'll see your moaning about nothing , but srs its all about timing , and always expect to make minor adjustments. i also find the shorter the loop i am the more accurate it is aswell for some reason
I'm not new to tables

I get your point, but I'm just saying... Traktor has spoiled me when it comes to looping.
Jenna Skeem
Merlyn Birchfield
Traktor has spoiled me, regarding quantized loops. I don't ever risk them when using CDJs, myself.

I don't even beatgrid my tracks... Traktor just almost always nails it. I just like the peace of mind that if I slam in a loop, it's gonna do what I expect.
Bethann Olortegui
on the 1000s, you will never get 100% accurate loops all of the time due to human error. you're not a robot, but you can get more accurate with practice. if your loop is slightly out, use the jogwheel to compensate and 'beatmatch' the loop back in to time when it comes around again.
if you want perfectly quantised loops all of the time, you need to go software

Once you get the looping down man, everything else is amazing on the mk3's I do wish they had the autoloop function fromt he 800s tho.
this
Allyn Vandel
Well first off you have two very reliable, and on cue machines. STOP trying to run before learning to crawl! Only use the BMPs to get your beat matching close, then do the rest by ear. Get used to mixing by ear not sight. It's much more fun trust me. If you're still needing help with LOOPING, jus lemme know. I can give you the run down to get a perfect Loop.
Emelina Chillson
Alphonso Deitchman
Devora Chait
Yeah it's been only lately that I've REALLY started to focus on my looping skills, and if I look beyond the obvious mistakes my sets are so much more impressive. Oh well I'll look at it the positive way, when I play out the quantized looping will come easy in comparison.
Ngoc Ninow

Dude, don't sweat it. I had similar feelings when I bought my CDJs about 12 months ago, and I knew that they weren't quantised. Like everyone has said, just keep practicing and getting a feel for it...It will come in time. Stick with it, practice and hang in there and you will reap some rewards. It will all click in to place before you know it!
Devora Chait
Alright, this does help, I didn't really find info on the mechanics of the loop but if my timing on loop-in sets the frames I'm actually cool with that, just means I need more practice. I'm kind of a perfectionist so I wanted to avoid practicing something over and over again which can't improve due to technical issues.
Tesha Freudenstein
Ive never had an issue with looping on 800, 800 mk2, 1000, 1000 mk3, or dvj. It just takes [ractice to get your timings correct bruv. Dont let yourself get frustrated.
^this. i can get some decent loops out of my 800s, so i'm sure it's possible on the 1000s. just no crutches. comes down to you on how accurate they are.

don't know how much of a tip that is to you, but tapping along next to "out" button helped me to get the loops in time. in any case you'll probably have to make some adjustements while the loop is playing.
Devora Chait
DJM 400, it does have the roll feature which is actually quite nice, it's just I want those CDJs to loop decent. Sometimes it just get's personal you know
Emelina Chillson
The loop in sets the frames.
Alphonso Deitchman
What mixer are you using? Most of the decent 4 channel mixers have a simple sampler built into the FX section.
Devora Chait
Well makar actually I used loop in, loop out before, but I refrained from doing so as it just seems so unreliable. Sometimes it's off, sometimes it isn't. My timing is also pretty precise, ah what the heck, I guess more practice can never hurt... I'm just curious wether it's a waste of time trying to master it this way instead of just adding a sampler or whatever to my set-up.
Alphonso Deitchman
How have you been using loops in the past if you don't have Traktor yet? If your mixer has a Roll effect and decent BPM detection that can be used instead of the loop controls on the player.

Otherwise you could use CDJs with Traktor/similar through timecode.
Devora Chait
They are in fine condition I payed 800 for 2 of them, it was a friend of mine and really they looked as new. I know it's also practice, but on some tracks I get it EXCACTLY right, and it's still off. When I adjust the out and turn it back 1 frame, the loop is too short, when I add 1 frame, the loop is too long, there is basically no middle ground. That is the thing that is frustrating me, the fact that it's TECHNICALLY impossible to get a good loop. Does the timing when you press loop in also work with those frames, or is it real-time and the only thing limited by it is the adjust feature..
Emelina Chillson

How much did you pay for your 1000's? Were they serviced by th eprevious owner?
Devora Chait
Well the mk3 can't see the beatgrids set-up in rekordbox right? Still means I would have to pay around 4k with about the only advantage is getting proper loops, cause to be frank, a higher res display is nice, jog sensitivity is nice, hotcueues are nice, but it's just things to play with for me personally, where as the loops are a pretty big part of my mixes.
Alphonso Deitchman
It takes practice to get good loops without quantize, just like beatmatching manually takes practice. Quantized loops are only possible with accurate beatgrids which you have to set up yourself beforehand through Rekordbox or Traktor for example.
Devora Chait
Well, I thought that for that kind of money, you could expect the functions they promote to atleast be usefull for it's intended purpose. Is there anyone that uses the <900 cdj's of pioneer to loop? Live? Can anyone share their technique or something? I'm really curious wether I'm missing something... I doubt it but still, I have hopes.
Augustine Mitzen
well, not everybody uses loops, so saying they are shit just because of that is a bit of a bold statement

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy