iVJ-Pro - iVJing on iPad Made easy (I answer to Q's)

Home :: Free word - say whatever you like which does not fit under the other topics. :: iVJ-Pro - iVJing on iPad Made easy (I answer to Q's)Reply
iVJ-Pro - iVJing on iPad Made easy (I answer to Q's)
Posted on: 25.10.2013 by Annalee Ruedinger
Hey all,

Since we're all iVJ's/DJ's and looking for some new easy setups or extra's, me and a friend tried to figure out how we could do that. What we came up with is to get VJ'ing on an iPad (iVJ-Pro), it took us over a year to really get where we wanted, we've started over several times trying to figure out what the best way is to get it ready.
So here we are, we made the product and it's finally online..
It's available here -> https://itunes.apple.com/nl/app/ivj-...8&ign-mpt=uo=2
The basic idea is:
- Plug in an external screen onto the ipad via HDMI/VGA adapters, kill all apps running to get the maximum memory & performance out of the ipad, load up the iVJ pro app, select the sets you need, then select more in detail which pictures/videos you need, when you get to the main VJ screen, it has 2 layers where you can insert videos/images, you can blend them in on top of your live camera, you can add some filters to the images, but then the fun stuff comes in, you can select the camera, add a filter, we have a bunch of filters in there, we have some which will respond to the beat (if it has a speaker icon, it will react to the sound), we have created some algorithms where you can define using sliders which parameters of which filter will respond to the beat and how hard.. It will decode the sound on the fly and respond to it.
You can turn the feature off and play with the parameters by hand to using all the same setup, all with just 1 screen, our smart app will also push all the content you are creating to the plugged in screen full screen, so you can enjoy making the sets without any hassle!

We would really really really love some feedback from the VJ Community on how to make our app better, if there is interest, I would love to give away some promo codes to so we can make our app even better..

Hope to get some feedback..

Greetings, Thijs

PS: screenshots can also be found on the itunes link
Annalee Ruedinger
I'll respond between the lines in fat

Originally Posted by deevey
Have to say it looks absolutely fantastic, kinda wish I was still doing Visuals gigs now

Some things I don't see mentioned which I would NEED to use this as my go-to software.

1. Live text input - Essential for Gigs/clubs where Guest DJ's or Shout outs are the norm
You -CAN- insert live text input, on the left bottom there is a TEXT button, you can fade text in, play with opacity, some fonts, colors, we're looking at a far more extension, but for the first release, we just wanted to try it

2. Midi Mappable - I could envisage this being used in permanent installs, with a Swing Arm Stand from within the DJ box at head level. (so you can alternate camera angles between DJ Box and Dancefloor views easily) and the controlling / triggering being done on a controller at desk level.
I understand the switching between camera's angle, what we've done to cover that so far, is being able to switch from front/back camera, so it's "kind off" possible, but we're looking at better ways to improve our app, thanks alot for your response, i'll write it down

3. Airplay Streaming to Apple TV.
This is possible, but since the huge delay that Apple gives us, it gives kind of a jerky experience.. What they do is they render the window I make in code, try to upscale it to 1080p and then send it through wifi to Apple tv, which makes it a kind of jerky experience.. It works though, what we DO recommand is getting a HDMI splitter and attach it to several TVs, projectors or similair, which gives cool effects.

From an Aesthetic standpoint I'd get rid of the technics style "fader-caps" from the interface altogether, they add nothing and if anything look cheesy beside the rest of the slick lines.
I don't quite understand this, you mean the sliders? The one you use to change opacity on the layers, and also to change the filters?

So Far though for a first release it looks cool guys congrats.
Thanks alot for you response! We sincerely appreciate it.
Annalee Ruedinger
Hey all,

Since we're all iVJ's/DJ's and looking for some new easy setups or extra's, me and a friend tried to figure out how we could do that. What we came up with is to get VJ'ing on an iPad (iVJ-Pro), it took us over a year to really get where we wanted, we've started over several times trying to figure out what the best way is to get it ready.
So here we are, we made the product and it's finally online..
It's available here -> https://itunes.apple.com/nl/app/ivj-...8&ign-mpt=uo=2
The basic idea is:
- Plug in an external screen onto the ipad via HDMI/VGA adapters, kill all apps running to get the maximum memory & performance out of the ipad, load up the iVJ pro app, select the sets you need, then select more in detail which pictures/videos you need, when you get to the main VJ screen, it has 2 layers where you can insert videos/images, you can blend them in on top of your live camera, you can add some filters to the images, but then the fun stuff comes in, you can select the camera, add a filter, we have a bunch of filters in there, we have some which will respond to the beat (if it has a speaker icon, it will react to the sound), we have created some algorithms where you can define using sliders which parameters of which filter will respond to the beat and how hard.. It will decode the sound on the fly and respond to it.
You can turn the feature off and play with the parameters by hand to using all the same setup, all with just 1 screen, our smart app will also push all the content you are creating to the plugged in screen full screen, so you can enjoy making the sets without any hassle!

We would really really really love some feedback from the VJ Community on how to make our app better, if there is interest, I would love to give away some promo codes to so we can make our app even better..

Hope to get some feedback..

Greetings, Thijs

PS: screenshots can also be found on the itunes link
Annalee Ruedinger
You mean you can't figure out how to use the promo code?
If that's it, in the appstore on the featured (I believe), scroll to bottom and press redeem
code.
Len Lukawski
Hey - I'm having trouble finding a download for this. Can you help?
Annalee Ruedinger
Yeah, you're right about the text input feature, we should add that, my bad.
And I understand the mount, i've got some cool idea's about adding features, like having a quadrocopter fly around (programmed), who's filming the audience live and streaming it, but i'm just lowballing here.
And charging IS supported with the lightning to HDMI adapter.. (the real apple ones support it).
And about the design well.. We've changed it a couple times, also before iOS7 came out, so we will rebelieve it in the future anyways, thanks for that

Gz, Thijs
Rolanda Clodfelder
1. Live text input - Essential for Gigs/clubs where Guest DJ's or Shout outs are the norm
You -CAN- insert live text input, on the left bottom there is a TEXT button, you can fade text in, play with opacity, some fonts, colors, we're looking at a far more extension, but for the first release, we just wanted to try it
Thats cool, did not see it mentioned in the features (and it really should be !)

2. Midi Mappable - I could envisage this being used in permanent installs, with a Swing Arm Stand from within the DJ box at head level. (so you can alternate camera angles between DJ Box and Dancefloor views easily) and the controlling / triggering being done on a controller at desk level.

I understand the switching between camera's angle, what we've done to cover that so far, is being able to switch from front/back camera, so it's "kind off" possible, but we're looking at better ways to improve our app, thanks alot for your response, i'll write it down
I believe you misunderstood me on this, what I mean is that holding a device you are trying to VJ with AND utilize the camera with is not very practical except as a "toy".

If I were using your software for a gig, Ideally I'd mount the iPad on a stand. I'd utilize the rear camera for live input and use a separate Midi controller for the controls interface so I do not need to do anything apart from clip loading on the touch screen.
This is possible, but since the huge delay that Apple gives us, it gives kind of a jerky experience.. What they do is they render the window I make in code, try to upscale it to 1080p and then send it through wifi to Apple tv, which makes it a kind of jerky experience.. It works though, what we DO recommand is getting a HDMI splitter and attach it to several TVs, projectors or similair, which gives cool effects.
Understood, the main issue I see here is that charging is not supported with HDMI.

From an Aesthetic standpoint I'd get rid of the technics style "fader-caps" from the interface altogether, they add nothing and if anything look cheesy beside the rest of the slick lines.
I don't quite understand this, you mean the sliders? The one you use to change opacity on the layers, and also to change the filters?
Yes all the faders "caps" IMHO should be removed, also the "heading" on filters, heading on Library.... they just make it look a little cheesy and not quite "finished". personally I'd go with the same solid blocks of colors as elsewhere. Just minor touches
Annalee Ruedinger
Deevy, I did answer your thread, but it appears it's gone.. I'll re-respond later on ^_-
Smittten, i'll give you the promo code for this community , and I hope you let me know what we can improve

Greetings Thijs

(i'll PM it to you)
Len Lukawski
i would definitely be up for a promo code if there is one available?
Annalee Ruedinger
I'll respond between the lines in fat

Originally Posted by deevey
Have to say it looks absolutely fantastic, kinda wish I was still doing Visuals gigs now

Some things I don't see mentioned which I would NEED to use this as my go-to software.

Thanks alot for you response! We sincerely appreciate it.
Rolanda Clodfelder

<< Back to Free word - say whatever you like which does not fit under the other topics.Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy