julamy0109 setup evolution!

julamy0109 setup evolution!
Posted on: 15.02.2013 by Jorge Furber
NEW UPDATE!!! CLICK HERE

Hey guys! So here's my setup evolution! It's been a work in progress since I started mixing in Dec. 2012, just a few months ago, but I really got hooked so I do put a lot of time and effort in both learning and upgrading my gear .

So it started with a house party at one of my boyfriend's friends place. His house is the HQ of the group, it's pretty much a homemade club, where you can have 2 different DJs playing in 2 different rooms in the summer (but that's his setup, not the point here lol). I mixed for the first time, not knowing what I was doing at all (it was 5 in the morning, I was hammered, I didn't really care of how it sounded, horrible is not a word strong enough to describe my first performance). I was still able to figure out the buttons and to load tracks and at least there was some music in the house. Thank God, another one of my boyfriend's friends came to save me. He's one of the DJ in the group and started to show me the ropes. And that's when I fell in love. Less than a week later, I found this on Craigslist for 350 CAN$: pretty much brand new, with software, no scratches, NOTHING.
374432_10151198986618051_53518320_n.jpg
It's great to have a controller, but I needed to have somewhere to put it. I read online and decided to build an Ikea DJ booth. The result looked great and fitted my S2 and my laptop perfectly!
481478_10151204533538051_1597748930_n.jpg
I started mixing more and more, decided to sell my DJ Booth to a friend and build another one with a bigger top (boyfriend pressure, but you'll see, it was a great idea!). I scored my first "gig" for New Year's Eve, at a friend's house. 1hr set (I was scared to mix for longer than that), that went really really well. I fell in love with DJing a bit more.

January came around and I started building the new DJ booth. The pieces that I was missing ended up on sale at Ikea and I completed it to this point:
223574_10151321313913051_1529220099_n.jpg(I'm still missing the top shelf on this pic but I like it because it really shows how massive it now is. Under it are my two Sony speakers and the black thingy half cut on the left side is my sub.)

Not being able to control the master volume that much on Traktor and because I've been having more and more friends over lately who bring their CDJs or Traktor, I decided to buy a Numark DM1090x just to be able to have everything connected together. There's nothing special about it, but it does the job.

And now, last week. I decided to go look at a vinyl store next to my boyfriend's workplace and I fell in love. I decided to invest in some decent but basic turntables (I'm getting them toevening ) and an Audio 8 DJ. Let just say I'm thankful that the BF pushed me to get a bigger top, everything should fit like a charm. While waiting for the turntables, I decided to clear the booth a bit. I cut parts of the top and incrusted the DM1090x in the booth, like this:
521288_10151337287903051_1459324683_n.jpg
The white plates that you see on the right side are gonna be used to hide all the wires between the mixer and whatever gear on top. So if I want to plug in some CDJs or a backup iPod, I can just plug them in those rca plugs, no need to play with the mixer. So right now, it looks like this:

IMG_3944.jpg
(You can kind of see the plugs on each side of the mixer.)

So now, what's missing? My TT that I'm getting toevening ! My Audio 8 DJ that will be put under the top shelf for easy access to all it's ports. I installed some LED lights in each of the squares at the bottom (can't see them though) and I'm considering buying some tinted plexiglass to cover those boxes. At one point, I'll add some racks for CDJs but I'm not there yet.

So, later toevening , I'll take a picture of what it looks like all loaded with the S2, the TT, the Audio 8. On this, I'm out to the hardware store, missing a few things to finish this up!

----February 21st, 2013 EDIT----

I picked up the turntables on Friday, they look great but they're still not plugged in (shame on me, I know, BUT I'm still waiting for my vinyls to get here, it's taking F-O-R-E-V-E-R...). After a party on Saturday, I was convinced to buy an S4 to upgrade my S2. My friend who gave me my first lesson was DJing that evening and I haven't seen him since that lesson back in November so we catched up and talked gear a bit, and he convinced me that the S4 was probably better for my setup. Let just say that the boyfriend was really happy about this because he scored an S2 (he's buying my S2 to finance my S4 - C-R-A-Z-Y -) and he proved his point. This is happening toevening , and I'm quite excited about it. So pictures of that to come. So here's a picture of what the DJ Booth looks like right now:

IMG_1105.jpg
And this one is just the mixer and the RCA plates (look a few replies down and I have more pictures of those)!

IMG_1114.jpg
I also added some LED light strips from Ikea and glued the remote under the table top for an easy access when I'm mixing:

IMG_1103.jpg

Next upgrade: I'd like to fit the S2 somewhere on the table with a 2nd computer OR figure something to have the S4 running in Traktor Scratch Pro 2 and the S2 running in Traktor Pro 2 on the same computer at the same time. And on top of that, I have to find a way to fit 2 CDJs somewhere because we have our house-warming party coming up and expecting at least 6 DJs to be mixing that evening , some with CDJs, some with digital, and I'd like to throw some vinyls in there! See you for the next update!

----March 7th, 2013 EDIT----

Hey Guys! So I went a bit crazy over the last weekend and found a hell of deal on a DJM-600 and 2x CDJ-400 for 500$!!! So I now own my own CDJs. I'm currently selling the DJM-600 for 500$ (and I have someone to come check it out tomorrow!) so the final cost of my CDJs will be 0$. I can't really get better than that for a starting setup. I'm starting to fill up my shelves with vinyls ( )so check the thumbnails to see what it looks like!

Things to do now: well as you can see, there are too many things on that DJ Booth. Way too many things. So I decided to keep the DJ Booth as the "Party Booth" and move my gear that I'll need that day from the soon to be build office/studio. The booth will stay where it is, with the S2 on it at all time. And when I have people over, I'll move whatever is needed from the studio. So Part 2 of this project to come!

Summary of my gear :
- DJM-2000
- 2X Traktor Kontrol X1
- Akai LPD8
- Novation Dicers
- Traktor Kontrol S4
- Traktor Kontrol S2
- Traktor Audio 8 DJ
- Macbook Pro 2013, 13 inch, I5, 8GB
- Numark DM1090x mixer
- 2X Stanton T.62 (should be upgraded to some good looking Technics by the end of the spring, yes, some SL1200 )
- 2 CDJ-400
- Technics amp + 4 speakers (all revamped, changed some of the components in them) and a subwoofer (I'm currently building another sub, the box is HUGE, should be done by the summer as well).

So, comments, ideas of how to improve this?
Jorge Furber
Originally Posted by Ross
It makes me a bit sad that you're using the DJM for a master mixer, rather than actually using it for mixing!?!
Actually, it's used for both. There are so many input possibilities that I can mix and still have it as a master mixer. Example, last week, I had the the CDJ-700s + PS4 on Channel 1(CD), the S2 on channel 2 (CD) and 3(CD), the S4 on channel 4(CD), the X1 mapped to deck C and D and routed to channel 1(USB) and channel 4(USB), and finally the CDJ-400s controlling deck A and B and routed to channel 2(USB) and 3(USB). So using the switches, I would toggle between the different setup and use whichever channel was available for my own mixing. It's temporary, I'm out shopping for a mixer to take over that part. (Sorry if all the routing is confusing, but don't worry, I am using the DJM-2000 to mix! And I love it even more today! )
Annalisa Shogren
It makes me a bit sad that you're using the DJM for a master mixer, rather than actually using it for mixing!?!
Jorge Furber
Originally Posted by nobbycossie
Wheres the purpose built table with mixer recessess, shelves and clever RCA cable routers gone?
That one is at my place. It wouldn't be big enough for what we do here anyway. I'm honestly just waiting for some warmer weather (it's -25C here, I friken hate Canadian winter sometimes LOL) to build a more dedicated table with the RCA plates, integrated laptop stands, vinyl storage, cup holders, lights, shelves, etc. We're working on the plans right now. It's just way too cold right now to be cutting wood and painting stuff.

Also, we have to decide on what will become the final setup before adding all the above. Every week seems to require different gear so it's quite a puzzle to figure out where to put the RCA plates or laptop stands.
Marybeth Vengoechea
Wheres the purpose built table with mixer recessess, shelves and clever RCA cable routers gone?
Jorge Furber
Finally got some almost decent pictures! I'm bringing my camera there toevening so I should get some even better ones.

So this is the overview of the table for toevening . The empty spot on the left side of the table will be filled by another S4 that my friend is bringing over and maybe an S2, if we need it. I still don't know how many people are showing up, but I have spaghetti for 20 people if any of you feel like coming down!
IMG_2728.jpg
So you have the love of my life aka DJM-2000, connected to my MAC with an X1 by its side. I'm also using my Audio 8 DJ to sync the MIDI clocks of the DJM and of Traktor together. The DJM is also the main mixer, every other setup is connected to it and so are the monitors and the sound system. I spent yesterday playing with the DJM and I'm realizing I now have the maturity it takes to handle this beast. I'm about to order another X1 and ditch the CDJ-400s because I've realized I don't use the jogwheels anymore. All my songs are loaded with cue points and I'd rather use an X1 to control that.
IMG_2729.jpg
Next we have the S4 connected to a PC. Simple setup but I'm also using it to record everything. I ran a RCA cable from the REC out of the DJM-2000 to one of the inputs of the S4 and that way, I can record everything we do. I also like that the recording doesn't depend of my MAC because there is already a lot going on on it and I didn't want to make the whole thing crash.
IMG_2730.jpg
Here's another view of the table. It was really bright out yesterday when I took the picture so that's why you can't see much in the windows but I'll let you guys imagine a frozen lake with snow everywhere and the sun shining. (I really miss living in this house just for that...) You can also see the chilling part. We installed 2 couches by the window and tables for drinks (because I get really mad when someone puts their drink on the DJ booth).
IMG_2731.jpg
Other stuff lying around, we have 2 CDJ-700 from Gemini, some Igloofest tickets for Sharam & Hot Since 82 in two weeks from now (any Montrealers on here going? ), an iPad keyboard and a tape recorder (no, this isn't a joke LOL).
IMG_2733.jpg
That's more gear we have in backup. Top we have the Gemini PS4 mixer and an old receiver. After that, one of my CDJ-400 and a Gemini CDJ-650 (I believe). Third shelf we have the S2 and another old receiver and another receiver on the bottom shelf. You can also see the decksaver
IMG_2732.jpg
And I also have 2 drawers like this full of cables. It is a evening mare to go through it...
IMG_2734.jpg

So that's what it looks like this week. Next week, there will be a pair of Technics 1210, a pair of Stanton T.62, and 2 pairs of CDJs because we are doing a beatmatching evening , no computer aloud. I'll post pictures of that too! Cheers!
Jorge Furber
Originally Posted by jnkarrik
Just read all eight pages, and must say its a beautiful evolution!
Thank you! I'll upload good pictures of everything tomorrow, I just realized the quality of my most recent pictures is so bad I'm ashamed.

I was happy with my 1 mixer and 2 turntables!!!!
It is a known fact that I have a huge RGAS, I wish I could be happy with 1 mixer and 2TT! LOL but seriously, it's not all my gear, we are 3 DJs collaborating on this setup with a lot of gear in backup because we are hosting a jam evening /learning evening every week. Last evening , we were 10 people playing around doing a huge tag team. We switch the gear on the table depending of what we are focusing on weekly. Example, next week, the CDJ-700s won't be on the table because we are doing a "Traktor Basics" evening so we're going to have an extra S4 instead. The week after it's a "Back to basics" so we're removing everything Traktor and adding 2 sets of Turntables. Our goal is to have a setup that fits everyone's needs while being optimized for the lesson of the evening . I'll snap some pictures go the current setup and of all of its variations throughout the weeks!

Looking forwrad to the update
Coming your way! And many more over the weeks! Thanks for following!

On a side note, anyone has an idea for cable management when the setup changes all the time? It was a huge cable evening mare last evening even if I tried my best to arrange everything and I can just imagine how much worst it will be next week!
Marybeth Vengoechea
Looking forwrad to the update
Marybeth Vengoechea
I was happy with my 1 mixer and 2 turntables!!!!
Wilford Aarts
Just read all eight pages, and must say its a beautiful evolution!
Jorge Furber
So my last update was in May (holy crap I've been gone for a while!?!)

So here's what's up. I just finished putting together the craziest setup in my book for our jam evening s that are starting toevening .

Here's the gear list:
Part 1:
- 2x CDJ-400
- 1x DJM-2000
- 1x Traktor X1
- 1x MBP

Part 2:
- 1x Traktor S4
- 1x PC

Part 3:
- 1x Traktor S2
- 1x PC or Mac (it's bring your own laptop LOL)

Part 4:
- 2x CDJ-700 (Gemini)
- 1x PS4 Mixer (Gemini)

Sound:
- 2x Behringer TRUTH B3031A
- 1x 7.1 receiver + 4 speakers
- A lot of wires!?!

Everything goes through the DJM-2000. The Gemini setup (4) is in channel 1, the CDJ-400s are on 2 and 3 and the S4 is in 4. I used some RCA splitters to send the sound of the S2 to both channel 2 and 3 on the DJM-2000 so using the switch, you can go from mixing with the CDJ to using one channel to get the sound of the S2. Using the REC out of the DJM-2000, I rerouted the audio in the S4 input and I'm using setup 2 to record everything happening. And the white thing in front of the S2 is my homemade laptop stand. Last minute thing, I didn't have time to drop by the hardware store and build something better LOL.

**I apparently can't upload pictures...gonna try again tomorrow...sorry guys!!!**
Jorge Furber
Teaser time! I started installing everything in the studio...it's much smaller than my old living room but it works well (as you can see, all my other stuff is lying around... :S the decks are back! The rest will follow by the end of tomorrow! IMG_2798.jpg
Jorge Furber
You guys sure know how to put a smile on my face! I'll let you all know when the auditions for my next boyfriend will start! :P

Originally Posted by robbyluca
Well done! Nice setup and creativity!
Thanks!
Annalisa Shogren
Originally Posted by Polygon
i'm calling DIBS
Get in line motherfluffer!
Anissa Perusek
Originally Posted by ross
i'm single.
lol
Jorge Furber
Originally Posted by JayRuss
is your day job an assassin or something, how do you afford all of this ? nice setup aswell, just way to cluttered with too much going on for my liking
No I am NOT an assassin, just a bartender who works 40hrs a week in the most popular pub in town (ok, fine, there are only 3 bars/restaurants in my town...lol)

Originally Posted by boarderbas
IKEA sells corrugated hoses for cables. They've worked very well for me.

What puzzles me is how you fit the vinyls in the pioneers

And where your lappy goes...
Never tried fitting vinyls in the Pio? It's a fun experience! lol

Laptop fits right behind the shoe rack, and I can still see the whole screen. When I mix during the day though, I put it where the S4 is because the light coming from the windows behind the booth is bugging me a bit.

On another note, the booth will be moving back to my parent's place for a few months...I'm not really happy about this but shit happens in relationships. The good side though is that I will be creating a nice little studio in my old bedroom and move my bed to their spare bedroom. The decks will be back out! The S2 is going to my ex, but the rest is coming with me. I guess I will fix the wire mess at that point.
Jorge Furber
Originally Posted by HarryK
Pleaseeee, clean the wire mess ! ! ! That said, i don't believe I should mention how envious I am of your gear.
Thanks guys! I'm working on the mess. Ok, by working on it, I mean we're redoing the setup of the living room and when I figure out where the DJ booth ends up, I will be working on it :P
Jorge Furber
Update Monday!

So here's what's happening. I did the modifications on the table and even though it's a mess as the pics will tell you, it's coming together! Also, to be added soon, my F1, an amazing gift from my amazing boyfriend and a Maschine MK1 that I am trading, it should be here by the end of next week...weeeeeeee!!!

IMG_1448.jpg

IMG_1451.jpg
IMG_1452.jpg
IMG_1453.jpg
IMG_1454.jpg

IMG_1450.jpg
Jorge Furber
Teaser time! I started installing everything in the studio...it's much smaller than my old living room but it works well (as you can see, all my other stuff is lying around... :S the decks are back! The rest will follow by the end of tomorrow! IMG_2798.jpg
Jorge Furber
You guys sure know how to put a smile on my face! I'll let you all know when the auditions for my next boyfriend will start! :P

Originally Posted by robbyluca
Thanks!
Emelina Paglia
Latoria Kavulich
down boys.
Annalisa Shogren
Originally Posted by Polygon
i'm calling DIBS
Get in line motherfluffer!
Dannie Dimora
i'm calling DIBS
Annalisa Shogren
We could make love next to your DJM2000, you could caress the EQ knobs as I hit the effects button... It would be so perfect.
Anissa Perusek
Originally Posted by ross
i'm single.
lol
Annalisa Shogren
I'm single.
Evia Nitch
Scored that F1 just in time!
Dannie Dimora
marry us
Anissa Perusek
Julz, just believe in yourself. You'll be goodz. See what I did there?
Jorge Furber
Originally Posted by JayRuss
is your day job an assassin or something, how do you afford all of this ? nice setup aswell, just way to cluttered with too much going on for my liking
No I am NOT an assassin, just a bartender who works 40hrs a week in the most popular pub in town (ok, fine, there are only 3 bars/restaurants in my town...lol)

Originally Posted by boarderbas

Never tried fitting vinyls in the Pio? It's a fun experience! lol

Laptop fits right behind the shoe rack, and I can still see the whole screen. When I mix during the day though, I put it where the S4 is because the light coming from the windows behind the booth is bugging me a bit.

On another note, the booth will be moving back to my parent's place for a few months...I'm not really happy about this but shit happens in relationships. The good side though is that I will be creating a nice little studio in my old bedroom and move my bed to their spare bedroom. The decks will be back out! The S2 is going to my ex, but the rest is coming with me. I guess I will fix the wire mess at that point.
Evia Nitch

Jenna Skeem
Jorge Furber
Originally Posted by HarryK
Pleaseeee, clean the wire mess ! ! ! That said, i don't believe I should mention how envious I am of your gear.
Thanks guys! I'm working on the mess. Ok, by working on it, I mean we're redoing the setup of the living room and when I figure out where the DJ booth ends up, I will be working on it :P
Corey Ganer
Kandi Odom
As usual great desk and setup!!!!!!!!!!
Jorge Furber
Ohh, and the minute I clean everything, hide the wires, and get the Maschine, I'll take some pictures with my DSLR and upload them here!
Jorge Furber
Update Monday!

So here's what's happening. I did the modifications on the table and even though it's a mess as the pics will tell you, it's coming together! Also, to be added soon, my F1, an amazing gift from my amazing boyfriend and a Maschine MK1 that I am trading, it should be here by the end of next week...weeeeeeee!!!

IMG_1448.jpg

IMG_1451.jpg
IMG_1452.jpg
IMG_1453.jpg
IMG_1454.jpg

IMG_1450.jpg
Annalisa Shogren
Haha, I've never been to Canada! What do you mix, out of interest? You have a lot of gear for a girl who only started in December!
Jorge Furber
That's the joy of living in Canada! Lol just kidding
I consider myself extremely lucky to have that amount of close friends who are into DJing. If ever you're in Quebec, let me know, we can have a big jamming session!
Annalisa Shogren
Originally Posted by julamy0109
IMG_1415.jpg
Little update on the DJ Booth. So I bought an Ikea Shoe rack with the legs and everything and put it together yesterday. There is a big need for some spray paint, which I'll do when I have a chance. As you can see, I took the Numark mixer out which explains the big hole in the middle of the booth. I will be getting a new top soon that I'm going to cover with synthetic leather.

The goal of this setup is to have two 4 decks setup accessible at all time. I've realized that lately, I'm more and more mixing with a friend of mine and we need those extra 2 decks for the main setup (the DJM-2000 and CDJ-400s). So I added the S2 on top of it. It could of course fit two X1s or something like this. And because we've been wanting to do more and more tag teams, I thought that having 2 full 4 decks setup would be the best. Out of 8 DJs, only 2 are not familiar with CDJs yet and only 1 is not with Traktor. Having this double setup makes it perfect to have any type of tag team, either on one setup or on two, with any DJ.

Now, with the new top, the shelf will be placed a bit backyard to free some extra space. The shoe rack will be lower and closer to the mixer. The top of the legs will also be cut so they won't be in the way. My laptop will fit behind it. I will add a magic trakpad at one point because I always end up needing a mouse when I mix. The Numark mixer will go under the top, on the Expedit, and only the 2 master output RCA cables will run to it. The RCA plates will be use for the soundcard so I will place them closer to the mixer. My audio 8 will also be under the top and used to run all my audio from Traktor to the mixer. I will bolt in my USB hub, again, closer to the main setup, and I will bolt 2 power bars under the top, one on each sides. I will probably trade an X1 for an F1 and have that lying around somewhere. We're also looking at getting a Mashine at one point. If that happens, I will build an extension/stand for it, on the left side of the booth.

Now, I have to leave room for some possible speakers/monitors and their stands. My friend has some so when it comes to a big gathering, we have them, but I don't own any at the moment. I will most likely get some capita legs again and install them on each side of the shelf, but we'll see.

Give me a few days and all of this should be up and running!
Fuck my life, why don't I have friends like you?

<< Back to What have you got? Post some cool photos of your setup.Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy