I kinda went digital, my technics feel shoved out already!!

Home :: What have you got? Post some cool photos of your setup. :: I kinda went digital, my technics feel shoved out already!!Reply
I kinda went digital, my technics feel shoved out already!!
Posted on: 21.04.2012 by Julia Hillock
February 2013 - New mixer acquired and new coffin lid cut. This (hopefully) will be the last mixer i buy...

EVER !

A crappy iphone panoramic shot for the full view

Here is my (basic) setup. i feel like this kind of setup will be regarded as boring and lacking creativitiy. no external fx machines, loopers, whatever. i like the look of many other setups in this community , but i'm a bit of an old-fashioned dj. by that i mean i just like using a mixer and tables to get creative. i fully appreciate and respect all others choices, and have to say i'd love a go on some of the all digital ensembles. until recently i was adamant i would never move away from vinyl. 2 years ago i grabbed a bargain and bought SSL 1 off a friend. he didn't realise what he was buying, neither did i to be honest. i'm glad i took a gamble. at least i felt i was staying as true to my 'roots' as i could with a DVS...
i've never looked back, bought cdj 900's last month. feckin love em ! the only change i will eventually make to this is a mixer upgrade. either djm 2000 or A&H db4, the price is still too high. next year they will be old news, and that's when i'll buy. they will still be good mixers for what i need. i don't dj out anymore, it's purely hobby. also, my monitors need proper placement. i'm currently looking at wall mounts. anyway, i'm happy enough with how this has turned out. i've learned a trick or two for the next coffin i make, like being a bit more careful with super glue !

Ok, so after reading a bit more about this community i now realise it's as much about the progression of peoples setups as it is about showing off current ones ! so here are a couple of updates, or rather backdates! to mine. briefly, my 20 year old 1210 mkII's were still going strong, but i yearned for the beauty of 1200's.

January 2012 - found these on eBay with the mixer thrown in...

February 2012 - i never wanted that mixer, so i opted for the cheap yet fun packed DDM4000 as a temporary measure...

couldn't be without Serato for too long so the next day or so i hashed up a convenient (and somewhat crude) laptop stand...

March 2012 - finally i succumbed to the full digital setup...

still not totally happy. no 1200's ! which is how i ended up here on DJTT. i googled a search for dj stands and found Hedgehog's post on the ikea stands. i really fancied the flush fit look and the more i searched the web the sooner i realised i was going to have to try my hand at woodwork for myself.

April 2012 - this was the final outcome

Annalisa Shogren
Originally Posted by Patch
Easy. Just mark the 4 holes in the wall where the 4 feet screw into the turntable, and attach some metal slotted brackets to the wall (like you use for hanging a dart board).

4 of these on the wall:

BracketInsert.png

Then, find some srews with the same thread as the feet of the TT, and screw them where the feet would usually go.

Offer up the turntable to the wall, and slide the 4 screws into the 4 small, slotted brackets.

You'll be able to lift them in and out as you please.

You'll need to secure the platter, too. That would make a helluva noise if it fell off!
My platters need to be yanked off, bastards... But yeah, I'd say maybe have something supporting the front too, as well as just the screws in the back, for double safety.

Originally Posted by MrPopinjay
Well you'd need to fix the tone arm in place.
The tone arm clasp maybe?!
Brunilda Kora
Easy. Just mark the 4 holes in the wall where the 4 feet screw into the turntable, and attach some metal slotted brackets to the wall (like you use for hanging a dart board).

4 of these on the wall:

BracketInsert.png

Then, find some srews with the same thread as the feet of the TT, and screw them where the feet would usually go.

Offer up the turntable to the wall, and slide the 4 screws into the 4 small, slotted brackets.

You'll need to secure the platter, too. That would make a helluva noise if it fell off!
Julia Hillock
Originally Posted by OmniRoss
Ooh, now it all makes sense. I have an idea in mind of what you could do, but I'd have to draw it.
That's great news cheers. I've studied the base of the decks and there are a couple of boltholes which might be useable. And hellnegative mentioned something about using the holes where the feet go which seems possible. It's just i'm no metalworker and i'm struggling to visualise how it would work
Annalisa Shogren
Originally Posted by oldtimer
Exactly my reason for wanting to do it

I admire your honesty. The 1200's are staying EXACTLY where they are. It's my old 1210's i want to hang
Ooh, now it all makes sense. I have an idea in mind of what you could do, but I'd have to draw it.
Julia Hillock
Originally Posted by hellnegative
.... The first thing I see when I walk in the room are those turntables mounted above the record shelves and it brings back so many positive memories of house parties, barn parties.....

I believe you're a bit mad. They look great where they are!

I admire your honesty. The 1200's are staying EXACTLY where they are. It's my old 1210's i want to hang
Annalisa Shogren
Ok, clearly everyone believes i'm mad. And maybe i am a little. I'm not wanting the decks to be playable. Basically they are my original decks i bought at 18, they have travelled everywhere with me for over 20 years. I'd rather keep them (for sentimental reasons) as opposed to sell them. My believeing was that they might look quite good just 'floating' on the wall vertically, instead of gathering dust in the spare room. Could this be the madness ? ! I just believe they're a 'work of art' and deserve to be displayed as so.

Maybe they'll look hideous stuck up there, but i'd still like to try. And with this being a gear-whore website i thought someone else might have tried it already, or at least seen an example of it. I know i've seen technics hanging from chains in an arty way, but that was in a bigger space with high ceilings.

How in the world would you get the tonearms to track on the vinyl?
https://www.google.co.uk/#safe=off&o...w=1364&bih=681

Take your pick!
Emelina Chillson
Ok, clearly everyone believes i'm mad. And maybe i am a little. I'm not wanting the decks to be playable. Basically they are my original decks i bought at 18, they have travelled everywhere with me for over 20 years. I'd rather keep them (for sentimental reasons) as opposed to sell them. My believeing was that they might look quite good just 'floating' on the wall vertically, instead of gathering dust in the spare room. Could this be the madness ? ! I just believe they're a 'work of art' and deserve to be displayed as so.

Maybe they'll look hideous stuck up there, but i'd still like to try. And with this being a gear-whore website i thought someone else might have tried it already, or at least seen an example of it. I know i've seen technics hanging from chains in an arty way, but that was in a bigger space with high ceilings.
I dont believe youre mad at all man. My first decks (Numark belt drive pieces of shit) are mounted on the wall of the library at my mums place back in Ohio. Thats where the rest of record collection, my first mixer, and first pair of CDJ's still are to this day. The first thing I see when I walk in the room are those turntables mounted above the record shelves and it brings back so many positive memories of house parties, barn parties, and kickbacks that I drug them out too. At =one point I had them hooked up int he back of my old 86 corwn vic wagon and Id pop the back open and DJ the parking lot of a local concert venue to get my name out. but Im rambling. Much luck hangin em mate. I used l brackets, bent them into a -_ shape with aenough room for a bolt head between the bracket and the wall, and used the same size bolt as the turntable feet to hang mine. I used a robber grommit to cover the bolt head so it wouldnt damage the wall and a wooden plackard with "Minus Rophucs" (my original dj name) etched in and painted to match the bookshelves/record shelves to cover the metal brackets on the wall.
Emelina Chillson

I dont believe youre mad at all man. My first decks (Numark belt drive pieces of shit) are mounted on the wall of the library at my mums place back in Ohio. Thats where the rest of record collection, my first mixer, and first pair of CDJ's still are to this day. The first thing I see when I walk in the room are those turntables mounted above the record shelves and it brings back so many positive memories of house parties, barn parties, and kickbacks that I drug them out too. At =one point I had them hooked up int he back of my old 86 corwn vic wagon and Id pop the back open and DJ the parking lot of a local concert venue to get my name out. but Im rambling. Much luck hangin em mate. I used l brackets, bent them into a -_ shape with aenough room for a bolt head between the bracket and the wall, and used the same size bolt as the turntable feet to hang mine. I used a robber grommit to cover the bolt head so it wouldnt damage the wall and a wooden plackard with "Minus Rophucs" (my original dj name) etched in and painted to match the bookshelves/record shelves to cover the metal brackets on the wall.
Emelina Chillson
Technics will play upside down if you want them to.

Annalisa Shogren
I guess a pair of vestax will play if mounted on the wall. I dont know about techs tho.
Karisa Dieleman
nice setup!!!!!

are you happy with allen heath internal effects?

thx in advance
Brunilda Kora
My platters need to be yanked off, bastards... But yeah, I'd say maybe have something supporting the front too, as well as just the screws in the back, for double safety.
I've thought of a way around this. Have the TOP 2 screws really short, and the bottom 2 screws really long.

That way, the TT will be tilted back a little on the wall, keeping the platter safely located on the spindle.

Failing that - LOCTITE.
Annalisa Shogren
Originally Posted by Patch

4 of these on the wall:

BracketInsert.png

Originally Posted by MrPopinjay
The tone arm clasp maybe?!
Kiyoko Wellisch
Brunilda Kora

4 of these on the wall:

BracketInsert.png

Julia Hillock
That's great news cheers. I've studied the base of the decks and there are a couple of boltholes which might be useable. And hellnegative mentioned something about using the holes where the feet go which seems possible. It's just i'm no metalworker and i'm struggling to visualise how it would work
Annalisa Shogren

Julia Hillock
.... The first thing I see when I walk in the room are those turntables mounted above the record shelves and it brings back so many positive memories of house parties, barn parties.....

Annalisa Shogren
When I saw him do it, I didn't notice him do anything before he did it to prepare, but I'm guessing full weight on the counter weight and M44-7's.
Emelina Chillson
Yes but how does he get the tonearm to remain on the record. I literally just tried with my techs and it aint happening with a stock deck.
Annalisa Shogren

https://www.google.co.uk/#safe=off&o...w=1364&bih=681

Take your pick!
Emelina Chillson

Emelina Chillson

Emelina Chillson

Julia Hillock

Annalisa Shogren
I guess a pair of vestax will play if mounted on the wall. I dont know about techs tho.
Emelina Chillson
Alphonse Hack
Great setup, the fabric cover is really nice. I built something a bit similar and wondered about using a fabric but went with a wood veneer instead. You look like you have space to add a third 1200 if you wanted.

regarding hanging a 1200 on the wall you could use the bolt holes for the feet to secure it too a bracket? I believe you would still need to support it underneath.
Jorge Furber
Anyone else like, wtf?
Yes, I'm not sure about this. I guess putting records on walls is too mainstream. I'm curious to see how the OP will do this.
Annalisa Shogren
Can anyone offer any advice at all on hanging a pair of technics on the wall ?
Anyone else like, wtf?
Julia Hillock

Setup as i like it now. Can anyone offer any advice at all on hanging a pair of technics on the wall ? I'd like to put them either side of the picture that's already there. Ideally in no frame, and without damaging the decks ! Impossible ? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Julia Hillock
Originally Posted by momo217
I am so doing this once I get a new mixer. You did an excellent job. Kudos! How do access your hook ups and wiring?Is the back open? I really cannot stop looking at it! Can't wait to build it.
The top section simply lifts off. i didn't bother trying to secure it as the unit wasn't designed with mobility in mind. some of the back i left open just to allow the mixer and cdjs to breathe some fresh air ! the power all comes from some sockets on the wall behind the ikea units. what mixer are you getting ?
Vickie Scheier
I am so doing this once I get a new mixer. You did an excellent job. Kudos! How do access your hook ups and wiring?Is the back open? I really cannot stop looking at it! Can't wait to build it.
Julia Hillock
Originally Posted by Michielygil
That table with the fuax leather finish is absolutely gorgeous! Great idea to coat it with that! It looks so tasty I wanna have a go myself. Any chance of sharing some tip and best practises in how you made that tabletop?
Thanks, i'm an absolute beginner at woodwork and really didn't expect to achieve the finish i ended up with, the faux leather really does a good job. I basically bought a sheet of 18mm MDF 2400mm x 1200mm. I cut it in half lengthways, one piece for the lid and the other for the base. I mapped out the cut-outs, VERY PRECISELY. That was the most time-consuming task, and rightly so. I will post a picture of the MDF prior to cutting. All i can say is, go for it. MDF is cheap, faux leather is cheap. All in all the materials came to less than
Kiyoko Wellisch
So what's making up the bottom portion of that desk? Those ikea bookshelves everyone uses? 3 wide, 2 deep?
Marjorie Fallucca
Really nice! Seriously considering going recessed like you have done after seeing this.

What sort of wood did you use? Ply? MDF?

How is the vinyl/leather attached to the wood? Staples? Tacks? Glue?
Deeanna Gripshover
It just looks so dam good!
Corey Tronchin
That table with the fuax leather finish is absolutely gorgeous! Great idea to coat it with that! It looks so tasty I wanna have a go myself. Any chance of sharing some tip and best practises in how you made that tabletop?
Julia Hillock
Had the DB4 since november. setup never felt complete til i made a new lid for my table. all are sitting comfortably now

[IMG][/IMG]
Tatum Ansaldo
Hell of an upgrade! Welcome to the club!

<< Back to What have you got? Post some cool photos of your setup.Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy