Is Maschine software any good?

Home :: Producer tips and DAW information :: Is Maschine software any good?Reply
Is Maschine software any good?
Posted on: 07.02.2013 by Ronnie Brucks
I heard that the maschine software doesnt have plug ins and isnt good for producing.....any comments?
Dannie Dimora
Originally Posted by pbcrazy9898
^ OK First of all, you are obviously not the target market for maschine because it sounds like you are already a "dope producer" banging out songs on your bricks. So for you to hate on it doesn't really seem very responsible. Yes people who are experienced producers might not build their setup around maschine but for people like me, whom are just getting into producing, it's a great way to start out. Everything is very intuitive and pretty easy to pick up. Yeah I'm sure the highly accredited producers aren't exporting their songs directly from maschine to beatport but a lot of good DJ's and producers use it in there workflow. I got my maschine MK1 for $250 used, it sounds like you paid full price for maschine. (same exact software) Now you are pissed off and misleading everyone else into believeing that Maschine sucks but in reality it is because you bought the wrong product instead of researching it ahead of time, like our friend ecoleopard is smart enough to do.
and you obviously don't get sarcasm
Kara Okumoto
Originally Posted by backtothefront
Just noticed this thread, I picked up Maschine Mk2 on Saturday, it's superb, very intuitive indeed. I come from a Reason background since v2.0 and although I'm a big fan of Reason, I was up and running with Maschine very quickly.
In case you didn't know, Maschine also works as an excellent controller for Reason using MaschineR: http://www.retouchcontrol.com/site_page.aspx?pageid=45

You can also use Reason as a plugin in Maschine via the Rewire XT vst:
Lashawn Maycock
Originally Posted by Coldfuzion
It does. However, it is just easier to do a lot of the minute editing and overall effects all over the track in a DAW compared to Maschine software.
Cheers Coldfuzion, one thing I stupidly didn't check is the drag n drop functionality in to Reason, similar to how it works for Live, Logic etc - I believe this is supposed to have been fixed in 6.5 but not tested, anyone happen to know if it works? Unfort the PC I'm running Maschine on isn't sufficient to run Reason hence I can't test myself at the moment.
Carlee Pickard
Just noticed this thread, I picked up Maschine Mk2 on Saturday, it's superb, very intuitive indeed. I come from a Reason background since v2.0 and although I'm a big fan of Reason, I was up and running with Maschine very quickly. I've only just scratched the surface but I'm hoping it has enough functionality to be able to write complete songs in it without exporting to a fully fledged DAW.
It does. However, it is just easier to do a lot of the minute editing and overall effects all over the track in a DAW compared to Maschine software.
Carlee Pickard
Originally Posted by m3ta
Yup. And Push doesn't rival Maschine at all. There's actually not too much overlap between the two despite the superficial similarities. Push is really lacking if you care about sampling/editing/chopping functions and having a mouseless workflow. For example:

- you can't sample into Drum Rack pads from Push.
- Push won't be able to show things like waveforms on its display since it is only text-based, not graphical.
- you can't slice samples from Push.
- you can't duplicate Drum Rack pads from Push.
- Push doesn't have access to the Drum Rack's mixer or sends.
- you won't be able to add/remove warp markers from Push.
- Push will only be able to edit start/end points for audio clips that has already been warped, so you won't be able to do things like just loading an unwarped clip and jumping to different parts of the clip using the Push encoder.
- Push can't browse/load or automap to plugins (You would have to save them in racks beforehand)
- Push can't do step automation (aka step parameter locks/p-locks)
- Push will still force you to click around a computer screen with a mouse for a lot of the software functions.
- and obviously, Push doesn't have the Komplete integration like Maschine where all presets can be browsed and loaded from the hardware.
Thank You for making me feel even better about my Maschine .
Kara Okumoto
Originally Posted by iBeat
I find on internet and I find that some software have plug - in such as VST, VSTi, Wup, Reverb etc... I recommend you search on google then you will find more good program or on my site you will know a few item that you're finding.
Spammer ^
Ervin Calvery
Originally Posted by synthet1c
fair call, but accept for the lcd everything can be replicated... and there are a lot of "hacker geeks" out there who can do it.
(As both a Maschine guy and a 'hacker geek,' especially one who spends a lot of time with Max,) it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to replicate every feature of Maschine in Max / Max for Live when Maschine already exists.

For the lcd you will have a computer there anyway with much higher resolution than the wave on the maschine.
Slicing is pretty quick and accurate, especially considering the way Maschine handles zooming (in relation to the parameter that is being changed).

Finally I have no problems using the mouse.
Using the mouse, compared to an instrument like Maschine or the MPC before it, is a really big conceit - it feels so much less fun and musical to me.
Kara Okumoto
three words... 'Max for live'
Not sure what that has to do with Maschine... I guess you're saying that if Live users who buy Push also buy Suite/Max for Live and hope for some hacker geeks to come up with and share solutions to Push's limitations then it might eventually come somewhat close to Maschine in terms of sampling/editing/chopping from the controller? Maybe... but you're forgetting the hardware limitations of Push like only having a text-based display, so you'll never be able to have the kind of experience you get with Maschine where you can chop and edit samples even with the computer screen turned off and only looking at the controller. Also, Push will not be able to achieve a mouseless workflow even with M4L workfarounds because Live is too big and bloated with mouse-centric features for there to ever be a dedicated hardware with total integration with every feature of its software.
Ervin Calvery
Yup. And Push doesn't rival Maschine at all. There's actually not too much overlap between the two despite the superficial similarities. Push is really lacking if you care about sampling/editing/chopping functions and having a mouseless workflow. For example:

- Push won't be able to show things like waveforms on its display since it is only text-based, not graphical.
- Push will only be able to edit start/end points for audio clips that has already been warped, so you won't be able to do things like just loading an unwarped clip and jumping to different parts of the clip using the Push encoder.
- Push can't browse/load or automap to plugins (You would have to save them in racks beforehand)
- Push will still force you to click around a computer screen with a mouse for a lot of the software functions.
- and obviously, Push doesn't have the Komplete integration like Maschine where all presets can be browsed and loaded from the hardware.
That's the truth.

Don't forget the issue of the encoders hanging on the wrong side of the display.
Also, I don't believe that Push has got a stand/mounting situation for drum hardware comparable to the Maschine stand, and is probably not also the best stand for itself.
Kara Okumoto
The one piece of gear i'll always want in my studio is a Maschine. Now with Push coming out it may rival the Maschine, but I definitely love mine. I know how to use it so well now that even though Push would be completely amazing, I would still rather work in Maschine then drag & drop into Ableton.

It's one piece of gear I would always recommend for new producers.

Dannie Dimora
^ OK First of all, you are obviously not the target market for maschine because it sounds like you are already a "dope producer" banging out songs on your bricks. So for you to hate on it doesn't really seem very responsible. Yes people who are experienced producers might not build their setup around maschine but for people like me, whom are just getting into producing, it's a great way to start out. Everything is very intuitive and pretty easy to pick up. Yeah I'm sure the highly accredited producers aren't exporting their songs directly from maschine to beatport but a lot of good DJ's and producers use it in there workflow. I got my maschine MK1 for $250 used, it sounds like you paid full price for maschine. (same exact software) Now you are pissed off and misleading everyone else into believeing that Maschine sucks but in reality it is because you bought the wrong product instead of researching it ahead of time, like our friend ecoleopard is smart enough to do.
and you obviously don't get sarcasm
Kara Okumoto
Just noticed this thread, I picked up Maschine Mk2 on Saturday, it's superb, very intuitive indeed. I come from a Reason background since v2.0 and although I'm a big fan of Reason, I was up and running with Maschine very quickly.
In case you didn't know, Maschine also works as an excellent controller for Reason using MaschineR: http://www.retouchcontrol.com/site_page.aspx?pageid=45

You can also use Reason as a plugin in Maschine via the Rewire XT vst:
Lashawn Maycock
Cheers Coldfuzion, one thing I stupidly didn't check is the drag n drop functionality in to Reason, similar to how it works for Live, Logic etc - I believe this is supposed to have been fixed in 6.5 but not tested, anyone happen to know if it works? Unfort the PC I'm running Maschine on isn't sufficient to run Reason hence I can't test myself at the moment.
Carlee Pickard
Just noticed this thread, I picked up Maschine Mk2 on Saturday, it's superb, very intuitive indeed. I come from a Reason background since v2.0 and although I'm a big fan of Reason, I was up and running with Maschine very quickly. I've only just scratched the surface but I'm hoping it has enough functionality to be able to write complete songs in it without exporting to a fully fledged DAW.
Lashawn Maycock
Carlee Pickard

Thank You for making me feel even better about my Maschine .
Kara Okumoto
Originally Posted by iBeat
I find on internet and I find that some software have plug - in such as VST, VSTi, Wup, Reverb etc... I recommend you search on google then you will find more good program or on my site you will know a few item that you're finding.
Spammer ^
Ervin Calvery
fair call, but accept for the lcd everything can be replicated... and there are a lot of "hacker geeks" out there who can do it.
(As both a Maschine guy and a 'hacker geek,' especially one who spends a lot of time with Max,) it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to replicate every feature of Maschine in Max / Max for Live when Maschine already exists.

For the lcd you will have a computer there anyway with much higher resolution than the wave on the maschine.
Slicing is pretty quick and accurate, especially considering the way Maschine handles zooming (in relation to the parameter that is being changed).

Finally I have no problems using the mouse.
Using the mouse, compared to an instrument like Maschine or the MPC before it, is a really big conceit - it feels so much less fun and musical to me.
Jonathan Chiuchiolo
fair call, but accept for the lcd everything can be replicated... and there are a lot of "hacker geeks" out there who can do it. For the lcd you will have a computer there anyway with much higher resolution than the wave on the maschine. Native instruments did an amazing job on maschine, but max trumps it as users can create their own experience that suits them, something that NI are unlikely to allow on anything but reaktor... Finally I have no problems using the mouse.
Kara Okumoto
Not sure what that has to do with Maschine... I guess you're saying that if Live users who buy Push also buy Suite/Max for Live and hope for some hacker geeks to come up with and share solutions to Push's limitations then it might eventually come somewhat close to Maschine in terms of sampling/editing/chopping from the controller? Maybe... but you're forgetting the hardware limitations of Push like only having a text-based display, so you'll never be able to have the kind of experience you get with Maschine where you can chop and edit samples even with the computer screen turned off and only looking at the controller. Also, Push will not be able to achieve a mouseless workflow even with M4L workfarounds because Live is too big and bloated with mouse-centric features for there to ever be a dedicated hardware with total integration with every feature of its software.
Jonathan Chiuchiolo
Ervin Calvery

That's the truth.

Don't forget the issue of the encoders hanging on the wrong side of the display.
Also, I don't believe that Push has got a stand/mounting situation for drum hardware comparable to the Maschine stand, and is probably not also the best stand for itself.
Kara Okumoto
The one piece of gear i'll always want in my studio is a Maschine. Now with Push coming out it may rival the Maschine, but I definitely love mine. I know how to use it so well now that even though Push would be completely amazing, I would still rather work in Maschine then drag & drop into Ableton.

Carlee Pickard

Drew Zamzow
For the price its a must have!
Estella Waber
I <3 my maschine but i just wish i could jump the pad tuning up and down in octaves. that root note dial gets way too fiddely

*edit*
Okay i just googled "maschine pad root note octave jump" and found holding pad mode and using the buttons 7 + 8 above the LCDs jumps in octaves
Shawn Vanhaitsma

ahaha I cant tell if this response was serious or you were just trolling him back...

I mean theres no way in the world that needed any kind of "sarcasm" incoming. All he does is praise the damn thing lol.

Oh man, our world is falling apart I tell you what.
Myrle Tazewell
Originally Posted by BiggChev
Note the intense tone of sarcasm. Sorry if it didn't come across. But a quick glance around this community and you'll see that I'm a HUGE advocate for Maschine.

Maybe next time I'll write the whole thing in Sarcastica font.
Fail#HandOverFace
Layne Koop
Originally Posted by mor4sso
It has a sequencer, but don't expect it to be as flexible as Ableton or a full-fledge DAW.
+1

Beware the Tyranny of Choice when it comes to the first few steps into any new hobby....including producing music.

I use Adobe Audition for basic editing of existing music and Cakewalk Sonar as a DAW. It has taken me years to experiment and find the narrow subset of options that I prefer to use to accomplish my goals in those pieces of software.

Given those invested years, I was able to find a workflow in Maschine in a matter of weeks. And, more or less, I just adopted the workflows described in the NI video overviews of Maschine.

At this point, I'd rather have "one obvious" way to do things over the "flexibility" to work however I want (because then I have to figure out what it is that I want...and that's a moving target...).
Sydney Lashway
Note the intense tone of sarcasm. Sorry if it didn't come across. But a quick glance around this community and you'll see that I'm a HUGE advocate for Maschine.

Maybe next time I'll write the whole thing in Sarcastica font.
Maude Milesky
Originally Posted by BiggChev
You know what sucks more than Google? Maschine!

It's a piece of shit, convoluted, expensive, limited, it only has like 6GB of samples, a free Massive serial and a bunch of other stupid kits, one-shots and samples. Fuck, they even give you a stack of Multi-FX chains...like who the fuck does NI believe they are, giving me multi-fx chains?

To make matters worse, those velocity/pressure sensitive pads. They're soo damn accurate and fucking easy to bang on. Like seriously, a dope producer could bang beats out on bricks. To hell with being spoilt with these extremely nice pads. And that Native mapping thing? I'd rather map all the main effects and parameters myself. That way when I slave over it for hours I know it's worth it.

I repeat. Maschine is shit! Don't buy one!
Sydney Lashway
You know what sucks more than Google? Maschine!

It's a piece of shit, convoluted, expensive, limited, it only has like 6GB of samples, a free Massive serial and a bunch of other stupid kits, one-shots and samples. Fuck, they even give you a stack of Multi-FX chains...like who the fuck does NI believe they are, giving me multi-fx chains?

To make matters worse, those velocity/pressure sensitive pads. They're soo damn accurate and fucking easy to bang on. Like seriously, a dope producer could bang beats out on bricks. To hell with being spoilt with these extremely nice pads. And that Native mapping thing? I'd rather map all the main effects and parameters myself. That way when I slave over it for hours I know it's worth it.

I repeat. Maschine is shit! Don't buy one!
Dorie Scelzo
Originally Posted by Ecoleopard
cuz google sux
I agree with you that google sucks, but even it will find native instruments's website, which has answers to all the questions you've asked.
Tobie Mittler
It has a sequencer, but don't expect it to be as flexible as Ableton or a full-fledge DAW.

It's awesome for getting ideas fleshed out, and it's fun as hell to jam on. Then port over your ideas to Ableton and do all the nitty gritty work.
Nedra Fresneda
Merged your Maschine threads. You can find more info on it on Youtube or NI's site if you don't feel like googling.
Ronnie Brucks
cuz google sux
Myrle Tazewell
Why don't people Google products that interest them?
Ronnie Brucks
ok kool
Nedra Fresneda
Yup.
Ronnie Brucks
Does MASCHINE have a sequencer? And if not what do you recommend?

<< Back to Producer tips and DAW informationReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy