Offering my services out there for my fellow board members (Mastering and consulting)

Home :: Producer tips and DAW information :: Offering my services out there for my fellow board members (Mastering and consulting)Reply
Offering my services out there for my fellow board members (Mastering and consulting)
Posted on: 24.04.2012 by Georgina Schatzman
As the title suggests, I'm offering my services out there for my fellow board members. I've been mastering professionally for a little over a year now just by word of mouth, plus offering my advice and ears as a "consultant" if you will for you're mixdowns and just generally offering an unbiased perspective and offering a more personal, one on one experience instead of just posting your stuff on here and letting people have at it.

I've helped a out a few members on here already, just offering my help to everyone else here.

Just shoot a PM, and we'll talk and see what I can do.

Cheers!
Georgina Schatzman
Originally Posted by photojojo
I deleted it because I thought it pretty rude.
Your a good man. I don't care what people say about you, you're hands aren't that big
Tera Baragan
Originally Posted by JasonBay
That's cool and all, but make sure your mixdowns are up to par first, and that you actually have some quality content. Don't just believe because you had your stuff mastered that it will get signed. If the writing isn't there then there's no need to have it mastered yet.

I know I'm shooting myself in the foot here a bit, but I'd rather help you out and make sure your stuff is at the stage where it's ready to get mastered instead of just taking your money and polishing a turd (this isn't aimed as you specifically AllDay, just saying this to everyone out there).

Cut throat Jason are nots
Im not looking to get signed, just to learn the mixdown and master process. As well as getting some good info because at the moment I don't have anyone to turn to for help or suggestions!

Ive only been producing for a year but I want to start taking it more seriously.
Georgina Schatzman
Originally Posted by mostapha
Heh. Glad you can take a joke.
What, you mean other people can't?
Dorie Scelzo
Thanks mate, appreciate it!

Henrietta Dortch
Shout out to Jason. Great guy, great mastering. Just finished this one for me a few days ago, sounding great!

https://soundcloud.com/djstevephilibin/summertime-original-mix
Georgina Schatzman
Best believe to remember is that less is more.

The less tracks you have, the cleaner your mixdown will be. Spend a lot of time listening, and don't be afraid to delete stuff that isn't working even if you spent a lot of time on it.

For doing mixdowns, I'm personally a big fan of subtractive EQing. The more you take away, the more room you'll have for other parts to breath and have their own space.

And for the love of God, don't put your kick at unity at the start of your mixdown. it will be counterproductive and you'll spend more time chasing your tail trying to fix things then needed.

I personally set my kick to where I start seeing about -10db on the master, and then mix everything around that. Don't try and make it LOUD when you're doing your mixdown, just try and get everything balanced and sounding as clean as possible.

And take breaks! Once you finish your first mixdown then stop. Turn off the music, take a walk, make something to eat and so on. Give your self a chance to recoup and give your ears a chance to relax.

After this I personally would just try and work on a different project I have in the works, be it something I have in the arrangement process, writing process or another track ready to be mixdowned. After a day or so has passed and you had a chance to clear your "palette", then come back to it and just listen to it. Anything that doesn't feel right should just jump right out, and you'll be able to recognize it and adjust it right away.
Armando Chrystal
any tips on the mixing process I feel like I understand it but just wondering if you have any tips you wanna throw out? and ill will be contacting you for mastering once I finish up this EP im working on
Georgina Schatzman
Originally Posted by photojojo
Your a good man. I don't care what people say about you, you're hands aren't that big
Leeanna Ayla
Georgina Schatzman
Cool story bro, thanks for sharing
Maricruz Mouw
highly highly highly recommend this guy....he knows his stuff and is very helpful
Georgina Schatzman
Just a little bump to remind any new people out there!
Georgina Schatzman
No worries mate, if you want some mastering done hit me up and we'll go to town
Tera Baragan
That's cool and all, but make sure your mixdowns are up to par first, and that you actually have some quality content. Don't just believe because you had your stuff mastered that it will get signed. If the writing isn't there then there's no need to have it mastered yet.

I know I'm shooting myself in the foot here a bit, but I'd rather help you out and make sure your stuff is at the stage where it's ready to get mastered instead of just taking your money and polishing a turd (this isn't aimed as you specifically AllDay, just saying this to everyone out there).

Im not looking to get signed, just to learn the mixdown and master process. As well as getting some good info because at the moment I don't have anyone to turn to for help or suggestions!

Ive only been producing for a year but I want to start taking it more seriously.
Georgina Schatzman

Tera Baragan
I believe I might have to take you up on your services. I wanna start taking producing to a completely serious level on making good sounding music.
Georgina Schatzman
What, you mean other people can't?
Dorie Scelzo

Random X
True!
Georgina Schatzman
In some ways, it's one more layer of turd polish.

Dorie Scelzo
Here's one: http://tarekith.com/assets/mastering.html

My understanding is that is what it is, mostly. Plus, mastering engineers worth paying tend to have very good monitoring setups in very good rooms with very good gear and the experience to figure out exactly how loud they can get something and what kinds of compromises (with regard to dynamic range, distortion, etc.) are acceptable.

In some ways, it's one more layer of turd polish. In others, it's that last little bit that helps your track stand out from the other 2000 songs Beatport released today and a final santity check on your production and mixing.
Tori Rumer
You can still get amazing results from sending it to a mastering engineer though. There's more to mastering than just making sure the levels are the same. There's a reason a people go to them and pay for them.

Or to even use your logic, if everyone is mastering their singles for DJs to play, your unmastered track won't sound as good as the other ones he's playing so it won't have as much impact.
I believe the issue might be that a lot of people just don't really understand the concept. Can you post a link to an in depth description of what the mastering process actually is so we don't get multiple questions assuming that it's just turning up the volume and wiping turtle wax on your synthesizer? (not trying to be insulting)
Georgina Schatzman
Oh! I see what you're saying. Yeah, not much you can do at that point with out routing it through a splitter box of some sort.
Romelia Stankard
Love it! Really makes a difference, and since this is dance music meant to be heard in clubs you obviously need to be able to clearly hear/feel what's happening in those sub frequencies.

With that being said, I usually leave it off when writing, and only turn it on when I get towards the end of the mixdown phase once I have everything where I believe it should be. Then do adjustments from there.
Yeah. The only thing I don't like is if you hook up a foot switch to bypass the sub then the focal tops still have their low end cut out if you set the cms 65s how the manual indicates. So when you bypass the sub you don't hear full range from the monitors. They should have just put the filters in the sub so it would switch over to full range when you hit the switch. If I got the sub I might try to figure out some sort or workaround for that.
Georgina Schatzman
What are you looking to know specifically? Besides how it sounds obviously
Georgina Schatzman
Love it! Really makes a difference, and since this is dance music meant to be heard in clubs you obviously need to be able to clearly hear/feel what's happening in those sub frequencies.

With that being said, I usually leave it off when writing, and only turn it on when I get towards the end of the mixdown phase once I have everything where I believe it should be. Then do adjustments from there.
Romelia Stankard
Have a pair of Focal CMS 65's with the CMS sub that I was able to pick up on the cheap from my last job.
Don't mean to hijack- The Focal CMS 65s are pretty awesome, how do you like the CMS Sub? I'm still using my old KRK sub (much better than the rokkits, but still) and would like to get the matching sub at some point whenever I get around to it. i just wish they put the crossover in the sub so you could bypass it with a footswitch and send full range to the monitors.
Dorie Scelzo
Cool.

Hmm…I'm believeing ME battle when I get around to finishing those tracks (btw, RE: pm; I have a preview on its way…been busy with car shit this week…mostly posting from my phone while waiting around) because there are at least 2 that I'd like to give some business.
Georgina Schatzman
I thought that's what it meant, but I couldn't figure out why an ME would do that.

Jason…acoustic treatments?
Ha! I took the liberty of doing that from a producers point of view, not the mastering.

And yeah, that's what I meant by turning it from a box into more of a monitoring environment.
Dorie Scelzo
I thought that's what it meant, but I couldn't figure out why an ME would do that.

Jason…acoustic treatments?
Henrietta Dortch
Ha! Yeah, about that. Not normally something I would usually do but there was so much dead space thought it could use some help just filling it up and trying to help transition a bit more. Not something I would usually do.
Good creative idea though, which is worth something!
Georgina Schatzman
Originally Posted by sphilibin
Ping Pong Delay
Ha! Yeah, about that. Not normally something I would usually do but there was so much dead space thought it could use some help just filling it up and trying to help transition a bit more. Not something I would usually do.
Georgina Schatzman
PPD?

Also, uhh……having played a lot of bootlegs, edits, and the occasional original……they don't sound right if you don't at least send them through a limiter.

Anything I'd release would be mastered if for no other reason than having the ME listen on better speakers and in a better room than I have access to.

BTW, Jason…what are your room and monitors like?
It's a spare bedroom I've converted to a studio. Just been working at it for a minute now as far as trying to turn it from a box to more of a proper monitoring environment. Have a pair of Focal CMS 65's with the CMS sub that I was able to pick up on the cheap from my last job.
Henrietta Dortch
PPD?
Ping Pong Delay
Dorie Scelzo
PPD?

Also, uhh……having played a lot of bootlegs, edits, and the occasional original……they don't sound right if you don't at least send them through a limiter.

Anything I'd release would be mastered if for no other reason than having the ME listen on better speakers and in a better room than I have access to.

BTW, Jason…what are your room and monitors like?
Henrietta Dortch
Jason just mastered my new remix, and i believe he did a great job! Added some nice PPD to the end of the first drop that REALLY brings the breakdown to life, 5 stars, i'll definitely be going back to him!!!
Leeanna Ayla
Remco your not offering anything constructive to this thread and the conversation is turning to insults. I suggest you ignore it and let the people decide if they want to use the services being offered.
Georgina Schatzman
Originally Posted by Remco
why would i even bother.... How many real hits have you guys made? And i dont mean simple beatporthits....
Making hits has nothing to do with being an audio engineer
Jame Shelling
LOL smh yeah, youre in the game for 2 years already huh big dog fo sho
Maricruz Mouw
Originally Posted by remco one post above who edited
How many of you are a real pro? And with pro i mean, have scored a worldwide number 1 hit , not a beatport hit, or, how many know personaly a real pro? Let me geuss , none of you
by that logic most edm "stars" would be taken out of consideration

also, i do personally know many "pro's" even by that standard.....GG

<< Back to Producer tips and DAW informationReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy