producing on headphones (any Audio Technica ATH M50 owners?)

Home :: Producer tips and DAW information :: producing on headphones (any Audio Technica ATH M50 owners?)Reply
producing on headphones (any Audio Technica ATH M50 owners?)
Posted on: 02.06.2013 by Bernard Pulizzi
I've been producing for around a year now, and I need some good gear to produce on (audio-wise), and since I don't have an acoustically treated room, I figure headphones are the best route.

I have looked around at various different pairs and obviously require a flat frequency response so that I can hear the different freqs and sounds accurately.

Everywhere has recommended the Audio Technica ATH M50s for production and mixing, does anyone have any experience with these, and have they helped your productions?

For the record, I will be purchasing M-Audio BX8 monitors for DJing, so they would provide a second form of reference, after mixing has been completed on my headphones..

whaddayabelieve?
Dannie Dimora
Originally Posted by lapinfuu
And finally you can have to better headphone on the planet the important thing is to know them. At this price there is no flat headphone and i dont know if really flat headphone exists tbh.
The 701s score far above many cans that cost over 2000$, for that matter, at least in terms of soundstage dimensions and detail resolving abilities.
They're by far the flattest cans in this category.

Even if you go up in price to something like the LCD2/3, T1, hd800, or even stax stuff and senn he-90, you won't have guaranteed flatness. Especially in the very highly priced electrostats (the 800 is actually darn flat)
Dannie Dimora
Originally Posted by kbridge
either way, I need the flattest and widest sound possible, and for my budget, this appears to be the best I can afford.. if the bass is too low then I'll have to compensate for it, but the rest of the sounds should ideally fall into place with a good set of cans like these, so I'm not too worried!
Well you know what? Try heading over to headfi and asking a couple questions there, it's a lively little community and they will tell you with absolute certainty everything you need

And really, try searching for a place where you can take a listen to a pair yourself, because words can only describe sound to a certain extent, you have to hear it yourself to judge it
Bernard Pulizzi
Originally Posted by Polygon
Great choice!
Still, isn't there a way for you to get to try out both cans or at least one pair? Because i din't want to lead you into a purchase that you won't like at all.

I mean i literally fell in love with the 701s when i first heard them because of their ability to resolve high freq. sounds ( i can hear up to about 23khz so this coupled with 24/96 recordings was a bless for me), but you still might find them underpowered in the bass, and try to compensate this by adding more "oomph" to your mixes even where it isn't needed..

Well as far as the interfaces go, i'd personally go with the mtrack because m-audio gear never disappointed me, while i've never had any experiences with lexicons and the other brand. What's more, the lexicon really seems like it's a very old model, so i wouldn't count on many driver updates in the future. The m-audio on the other hand is completely new, and you wouldn't have to take that risk.
For power output i believe you'll be in the clear no matter what interface you choose, since they're all designed eith project studios and high impedence cans in mind
either way, I need the flattest and widest sound possible, and for my budget, this appears to be the best I can afford.. if the bass is too low then I'll have to compensate for it, but the rest of the sounds should ideally fall into place with a good set of cans like these, so I'm not too worried!
Dannie Dimora
okay, I'll run with this advice and get a pair of AKG 701s.. no-one has anything negative to say about them, and I always slightly doubted the ability of the ATH M50s just based on the fact that they're closed cans - no doubt they're beautiful sounding however!

I'm still undecided on the soundcard/interface I want, what's the minimum I would need to power these to their full potential, do you know?
Great choice!
Still, isn't there a way for you to get to try out both cans or at least one pair? Because i din't want to lead you into a purchase that you won't like at all.

I mean i literally fell in love with the 701s when i first heard them because of their ability to resolve high freq. sounds ( i can hear up to about 23khz so this coupled with 24/96 recordings was a bless for me), but you still might find them underpowered in the bass, and try to compensate this by adding more "oomph" to your mixes even where it isn't needed..

Well as far as the interfaces go, i'd personally go with the mtrack because m-audio gear never disappointed me, while i've never had any experiences with lexicons and the other brand. What's more, the lexicon really seems like it's a very old model, so i wouldn't count on many driver updates in the future. The m-audio on the other hand is completely new, and you wouldn't have to take that risk.
For power output i believe you'll be in the clear no matter what interface you choose, since they're all designed eith project studios and high impedence cans in mind
Bernard Pulizzi
Now, these interfaces basically have amps inside them. They also have inputs and other outputs, so you can connect more professional cable connectors on them, TRS and XLR. The thing is, usually these devices have drivers that have been specifically written for the chipset/DAC inside the interface. Doing so guarantees lower latency and less crashes because the driver doesn't have to scale and remodel itself in real time to the chipset on your integrated soundcard.
You're probably using ASIO4ALL, which does a mighty good job at coping with various different chipset by many manufacturers (realtek, via, etc etc), and can usually keep the latency at a very low level.
okay, I'll run with this advice and get a pair of AKG 701s.. no-one has anything negative to say about them, and I always slightly doubted the ability of the ATH M50s just based on the fact that they're closed cans - no doubt they're beautiful sounding however!

I'm still undecided on the soundcard/interface I want, what's the minimum I would need to power these to their full potential, do you know?
Dannie Dimora
Okay, so that's an awesome price on the headphones, thanks..

I'm just a little confused as to what the difference between an amp and one of these audio interfaces is? I have Asio driver on my laptop if that counts for anything (nooby Q I know..)
No probs, maybe it will take a while because they ship from germany, but it'll be not that big of a wait.

Now, these interfaces basically have amps inside them. They also have inputs and other outputs, so you can connect more professional cable connectors on them, TRS and XLR. The thing is, usually these devices have drivers that have been specifically written for the chipset/DAC inside the interface. Doing so guarantees lower latency and less crashes because the driver doesn't have to scale and remodel itself in real time to the chipset on your integrated soundcard.
You're probably using ASIO4ALL, which does a mighty good job at coping with various different chipset by many manufacturers (realtek, via, etc etc), and can usually keep the latency at a very low level.

Now i personally care about low latency, since i'm also a pianist and i practice on my midi keyboard, and i hate when there's delay between when i press a key and the sound actually comes out of the speakers, but i know of many producers that don't care about latency at all, since they don't play live.

A dedicated soundcard will usually also improve your sound quality and signal-to-noise ratio when compared to an integrated solution

The thing is, a good amp and a good sound card in this price bracket (in this case, for example, the m-track by maudio and the fiio e12) have comparable DACs and sound quality, and comparable power outputs when it comes to headphone outs. So choosing between one and another is dictated mainly by the use you're going to make of it.

Since you're producing you might consider that, in a year or so, you could need to record some live voice, or samples, or an instrument, so i'd personally go the interface route.
However, if you don't feel that way yourself, take a look around ebay with the search term "headphone amp", you'll find tons of chinese-made great little amps
Bernard Pulizzi
http://www.thomann.de/gb/akg_k701.htm

Get them here, they even have a refurb, "b-stock" option that is around 150gbp. That would leave you with a little more headroom for the amp.

Then i'd get a reasonably cheap audio interface, such as this, instead of an amp. Mainly because you will be producing so a dedicated soundcard with asio drivers will lead to lower latency

something like this
http://www.thomann.de/gb/m_audio_m_track.htm

or this (cheaper)

http://www.thomann.de/gb/lexicon_alpha_studio.htm

or this

http://www.thomann.de/gb/miditech_audiolink_iii.htm

I'm just a little confused as to what the difference between an amp and one of these audio interfaces is? I have Asio driver on my laptop if that counts for anything (nooby Q I know..)
Bernard Pulizzi

Get them here, they even have a refurb, "b-stock" option that is around 150gbp. That would leave you with a little more headroom for the amp.

Then i'd get a reasonably cheap audio interface, such as this, instead of an amp. Mainly because you will be producing so a dedicated soundcard with asio drivers will lead to lower latency

something like this

or this (cheaper)

or this

Dannie Dimora
If you're referring to these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AKG-701-Head...ywords=akg+701

I guess around
Bernard Pulizzi
Ok, so around what price are you willing to spend for the amp? Amplification can bring out qualities of cans or can also dull them down. for the 701s you would be looking at something that gives a little more warmth since the cans are so analytical themselves

I guess around
Dannie Dimora
I literally just need them for sitting in my "studio" (bedroom..) in front of my laptop and Ableton Suite haha! So I won't be using these with ipod or phone etc!
Ok, so around what price are you willing to spend for the amp? Amplification can bring out qualities of cans or can also dull them down. for the 701s you would be looking at something that gives a little more warmth since the cans are so analytical themselves
Bernard Pulizzi
Sure, how much are you willing to spend?

Also, do you plan on using different inputs/outputs? In that case an external audio interface could come in handy
I literally just need them for sitting in my "studio" (bedroom..) in front of my laptop and Ableton Suite haha! So I won't be using these with ipod or phone etc!
Dannie Dimora
My source of sound would be my laptop's in-built Soundcard.. I wouldn't use these for DJing in a million years, I'll have my Sennheiser HD 25 ii for that ha.

Can you recommend any inexpensive amps?

Also, do you plan on using different inputs/outputs? In that case an external audio interface could come in handy
Bernard Pulizzi
The 701s are a whole other class of headphones, that will blow the m50s out of the water in almost all aspects (of course, except bass quantity)
Worry not tho, bass extension is phenomenal on the 701/2, as is its punchiness.
Just remember you won't be able to use them for djing, since their open back basically lets in all the sound around you.

Oh yeah, did i mention that they're by far the comfiest cans you can buy for less than $1k?

p.s.: what's your source of sound? what interface will you be using? Because plugging in the 701s into your integrated soundcard will not be an option, their impedence will make them quiet as hell.
My source of sound would be my laptop's in-built Soundcard.. I wouldn't use these for DJing in a million years, I'll have my Sennheiser HD 25 ii for that ha.

Dannie Dimora
Well guys, I will be purchasing either KRK Rokkit 5s or M-Audio BX8s for my DJ setup, so will have a secondary form of reference after/during mixing with cans, but will not focus entirely on either, rather finding a balance (then obviously testing on every other sound source possible).

You're saying the AKG K701s are more detailed accross the board? I'm torn between those and the ATH M50s, I guess either will serve their purpose well, I'd just have to get used to them
The m50s will be definitely more prominent in the bass department.

HOWEVER

The 701s are a whole other class of headphones, that will blow the m50s out of the water in almost all aspects (of course, except bass quantity)
Just remember you won't be able to use them for djing, since their open back basically lets in all the sound around you.

Oh yeah, did i mention that they're by far the comfiest cans you can buy for less than $1k?

p.s.: what's your source of sound? what interface will you be using? Because plugging in the 701s into your integrated soundcard will not be an option, their impedence will make them quiet as hell.
Dannie Dimora
Originally Posted by lapinfuu
And finally you can have to better headphone on the planet the important thing is to know them. At this price there is no flat headphone and i dont know if really flat headphone exists tbh.
The 701s score far above many cans that cost over 2000$, for that matter, at least in terms of soundstage dimensions and detail resolving abilities.
They're by far the flattest cans in this category.

Even if you go up in price to something like the LCD2/3, T1, hd800, or even stax stuff and senn he-90, you won't have guaranteed flatness. Especially in the very highly priced electrostats (the 800 is actually darn flat)
Vi Melroy
Dannie Dimora
Well you know what? Try heading over to headfi and asking a couple questions there, it's a lively little community and they will tell you with absolute certainty everything you need

And really, try searching for a place where you can take a listen to a pair yourself, because words can only describe sound to a certain extent, you have to hear it yourself to judge it
Bernard Pulizzi
Great choice!

Vi Melroy
Hello Im not a big fan au audio technica.
I got beyer dynamic dt880pro two month ago im happy with them. I make the starting sound design with my krk rokit and then finish with my dt and make the mix with them, they are pretty good and have a really go mid high response and not the default that dt 770 and 990 got, a little little hole around 80 hz.
Dannie Dimora

Great choice!

Bernard Pulizzi

Kendrick Surpris
I use both monitors and headphones for my production/mixing/mastering. I have just recently purchased my monitors(krk rokit 5's) and am very pleased to have the option to now use monitors, but I still continue to use my headphones(Dre Beats Studio...don't judge me they were a gift but I'm actually pretty pleased with them too). When my track sounds good in both the headphones and threw the monitors i consider it done. I just thought I'd contribute to this thread by explaining my current production/mixing method.
*NOTE* I consider myself somewhat of a beginner producer.
Dannie Dimora

No probs, maybe it will take a while because they ship from germany, but it'll be not that big of a wait.

Now i personally care about low latency, since i'm also a pianist and i practice on my midi keyboard, and i hate when there's delay between when i press a key and the sound actually comes out of the speakers, but i know of many producers that don't care about latency at all, since they don't play live.

A dedicated soundcard will usually also improve your sound quality and signal-to-noise ratio when compared to an integrated solution

The thing is, a good amp and a good sound card in this price bracket (in this case, for example, the m-track by maudio and the fiio e12) have comparable DACs and sound quality, and comparable power outputs when it comes to headphone outs. So choosing between one and another is dictated mainly by the use you're going to make of it.

Since you're producing you might consider that, in a year or so, you could need to record some live voice, or samples, or an instrument, so i'd personally go the interface route.
However, if you don't feel that way yourself, take a look around ebay with the search term "headphone amp", you'll find tons of chinese-made great little amps
Bernard Pulizzi

something like this

or this (cheaper)

or this

Bernard Pulizzi

something like this

or this (cheaper)

or this

Dannie Dimora

I guess around
Bernard Pulizzi

I guess around
Dannie Dimora
Bernard Pulizzi

Dannie Dimora

Bernard Pulizzi

Dannie Dimora
Well guys, I will be purchasing either KRK Rokkit 5s or M-Audio BX8s for my DJ setup, so will have a secondary form of reference after/during mixing with cans, but will not focus entirely on either, rather finding a balance (then obviously testing on every other sound source possible).

You're saying the AKG K701s are more detailed accross the board? I'm torn between those and the ATH M50s, I guess either will serve their purpose well, I'd just have to get used to them
The m50s will be definitely more prominent in the bass department.

HOWEVER

Bernard Pulizzi

Dannie Dimora
Very good point, I don't actually know why I hadn't taken this into account..

Headphones it is!

Most likely the ATH M50s then based on the world's opinion and reviews!
Also believe about the akg k701/2. They have by far the best soundstage in that price bracket, but are not as impactful in the low frequencies (they are detailed as fu** however, and punchy, too)

Also, it's true i may have been a little too dramatic with monitors. Fact is, that good cans will sound good pretty much everywhere, while you can buy $7000 genelecs and still end up with an uncontrolled, definitely not balanced sound.
Dannie Dimora

Headphones it is!

Also believe about the akg k701/2. They have by far the best soundstage in that price bracket, but are not as impactful in the low frequencies (they are detailed as fu** however, and punchy, too)
Laurinda Benya
Get some studio monitors that allow you to adjust the low frequency roll off and highs. This will allow you to compensate for an untreated room, although a treated room is ideal, it's not necessary to get you started. I would take mixing on monitors over headphones any day. Although I do like to use both for mixing down.
Berta Baie
I gotta be honest with you, i just made the switch from mixing on cans to studio monitors and after an initial feeling out process, i just cant use my headphones anymore. Its literally evening and day. My room isnt acoustically treated either but its mostly the depth perception more than anything else that i was having a hard time with using headphones. Everything is "right there" next to your ears and its hard to make out details sometimes. With the monitors i get a much more accurate sense of where everything is in the mix, not to mention it saves u on ear fatigue.

That being said, you can def still do good mixes on cans. I've played my tracks mixed with headphones on regular speakers and they still sound fine. I would also say that saying studio monitors are a waste just because you dont have a treated room is nonsense as well. Of course we would all like to have the perfect studio set up, but i believe first and foremost it comes down to a well trained pair of ears, what gear you are using is largely fine details, if we are taking quality headphones vs. quality speakers.
Bernard Pulizzi
Also, remember that most "pro" producers sketch their stuff up at home, then take it to a professional studio to finish it up, mix it, and in the end master it. But studios cost to rent, and as a fella home studio owner and producer i know sometimes money can be a problem.

Headphones it is!

Dannie Dimora
ahhh that's quite good then, I just need a pair as balanced as possible!

I keep convincing myeslf I need headphones, but then I keep wondering if it's worth it to use monitors in an untreated room? Some say that's the worst idea possible, but I've watched "producers houses" on Youtube and there are a few pros that don't appear to use any acoustic treatment?!
Some don't appear because their rooms needed minimal treatment in the first place, but in almost any situation you'll see at least some wall panels mounted on the sides to prevent first reflections.

Sure, you can go the monitor route, but
1) it'll be expensive, at least more expensive than headphones
2)If you are not planning on treating the room in any way, it will be a hit-and-miss thing, might sound good, might sound like vomit
3)they will take up much space, wires will be cluttered, and to achieve the level of detail some sub300$ cans can master, you must go way up high the price scale (yeah, monitors will give you a better stereo image, but ONLY if they sound good in a room, if the room has too many nodes and phase inconsitencies freq.'s will cancel out and you will have.. crap :P)

Also, remember that most "pro" producers sketch their stuff up at home, then take it to a professional studio to finish it up, mix it, and in the end master it. But studios cost to rent, and as a fella home studio owner and producer i know sometimes money can be a problem.

<< Back to Producer tips and DAW informationReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy