Hardware Synths

Hardware Synths
Posted on: 24.05.2013 by Laurinda Benya
I've been fascinated with hardware synths lately and have been reading and viewing lots of reviews on different products. Instead of adding another plug-in synth to my tools, I'm believeing that going the hardware route will be a better choice. I will be using Logic Pro as my DAW to record the sounds of the hardware synth.

I've been comparing the Sub Phatty, Minitaur, Analog 4, Minibrute, and Bass Station II. I've seen quite a few videos that really bring out the dub sounds of the Analog 4. Although I don't quite understand if the Analog 4 will be the better choice for me since most are using the Analog 4 as a standalone production tool without a DAW. What are your guys' thoughts?
Shawn Vanhaitsma
Originally Posted by botstein
I'm in the market for a Sub Phatty sometime soon. I believe Moog is classic.
Analog is the only way to go. Because of gear syndrome, I tended to buy controllers sell them etc. One day I wanted to try this Analog thing. Once you taste it you will never go back.

I only own three, two being true analog one Virtual analog. Moogmini Voyager, Prophet 08 (Sold, and waiting for my 12 to arrive), Virus Ti2 Desktop.

Moog is a very great way to go for a first synth. Their approach was the basis for many osc and filter setups to come after it. The old ones sound great, and the new Voyager sounds even better with some of the quirks and now TWO filters per osc.

Others have suggested a Litty Phatty which I would agree is a great starter synth. Some of the DSI small instruments are great for starters too like the Mopho.

Either I completely missed what your budget was or didnt specify. Thats going to give you a better range for people to suggest.

That along with what you want to do with it exactly. Many Analog synths are tailored to specific jobs, but do them very very very well. My voyager is used for some really thick leads, bass sounds, and ive been really working on getting some percussion shots out of it. Being MONOPHONIC it plays a single note at a time. IF you need to do pads, lush, thick harmonies etc, something with polyphony would be best.
Ervin Calvery
Originally Posted by Unique Freak
I've been fascinated with hardware synths lately and have been reading and viewing lots of reviews on different products. Instead of adding another plug-in synth to my tools, I'm believeing that going the hardware route will be a better choice. I will be using Logic Pro as my DAW to record the sounds of the hardware synth.

I've been comparing the Sub Phatty, Minitaur, Analog 4, Minibrute, and Bass Station II. I've seen quite a few videos that really bring out the dub sounds of the Analog 4. Although I don't quite understand if the Analog 4 will be the better choice for me since most are using the Analog 4 as a standalone production tool without a DAW. What are your guys' thoughts?
Laurinda Benya

Lyndsey Blaufuss
I own a minitaur. Its my go to weapon for all things bass! So phat.
Laurinda Benya
Well thanks for all the input so far you guys. After much thought and consideration, I've narrowed my choices down to the sub phatty and analog4. I will mostly be working inside Logic Pro and I'm not a keyboard player. I like the dubby techno sounds the analog4 is capable of but I also like how deep the sub phatty can get. Still have some time to believe about it.
Vi Melroy
Hi,

Just got a Sub Phatty 2 days ago and i'm itteraly in love, no comparison possibe with any digital synth I ever tried. sound is ... Moog what ! And I really love the Multidrive. You have full midi over USB, I use it with ableton live so you can use arpeggio etc...

If you don't need full midi support go listen some synth in a shop, if midi is very important for you I believe Sub Phatty is a good choice because I don't see any other synth with this a this price ( and the build quality is not comparable to minibrute and ms-20 way way better.)
Rebbecca Fennell
Microkorg/ms2000r is worth considering and can be had for a decent price. I have owned two in the past, and just bought what will be my third. Solid little boxes.
Sydney Lashway
I'm trying to save for a Virus Acces TI, thing is a beast

BUT if you're into vintage synths, the Roland D-50 is awesome. I was lucky enough to inherit one but it's long been U/S.
Dannie Dimora
I love analog, but it's just too expensive for me...
The m-audio venom i really like, especially now that its price has fallen from something 700$ to something $200.. Other than that, i played around a couple times with a friend's self-made analog stuff, and yeah, it does give you the feeling of being complete control over the sound, and the gratification of knowing exactly where you're routing your signal. But in the end i much prefer cheaper softsynths with better tweakability, than good-looking, but clumsy, big and heavy wood boxes.

Oh yeah, and i use a moogerfooger for production work, really gives analog warmth without costing you an arm and a leg.
Romelia Stankard
depends on a lot of things

personally I believe moogs are pretty boring, though a sub phatty would make a pretty good first synth.

ms-20 mini is a great deal and a bit more exciting

If I ever purchase another (mostly) fixed architecture synth it will prob be that. elektron a4 looks pretty cool though elektron stuff is deep and has a lot of menu diving.
Rebbecca Fennell
If you're a competent keyboard player go for anything other then the A4, if you want bang for your buck go for the A4.

I've got hardware and my next purchase is going to be an a4. Yes a daw is the center of my setup but elektrons sequencers really make their gear a great piece to compliment any setup.
Shawn Vanhaitsma
Originally Posted by botstein
Analog is the only way to go. Because of gear syndrome, I tended to buy controllers sell them etc. One day I wanted to try this Analog thing. Once you taste it you will never go back.

I only own three, two being true analog one Virtual analog. Moogmini Voyager, Prophet 08 (Sold, and waiting for my 12 to arrive), Virus Ti2 Desktop.

Moog is a very great way to go for a first synth. Their approach was the basis for many osc and filter setups to come after it. The old ones sound great, and the new Voyager sounds even better with some of the quirks and now TWO filters per osc.

Others have suggested a Litty Phatty which I would agree is a great starter synth. Some of the DSI small instruments are great for starters too like the Mopho.

Either I completely missed what your budget was or didnt specify. Thats going to give you a better range for people to suggest.

That along with what you want to do with it exactly. Many Analog synths are tailored to specific jobs, but do them very very very well. My voyager is used for some really thick leads, bass sounds, and ive been really working on getting some percussion shots out of it. Being MONOPHONIC it plays a single note at a time. IF you need to do pads, lush, thick harmonies etc, something with polyphony would be best.
Ervin Calvery
Originally Posted by Unique Freak

Patty Mcgilbra
really depends on what you want, I'd prefer a one knob - one function kind of synth like the minibrute or mintaur (but that thing only does bass! no notes higher than some note I can't remember). But if you intend to use them live saving patches and recalling them instantly might be better for you...

As for use with a DAW: I'm sure you can sequence them easily from any DAW but the Analog 4 has the added benefit that you could use it without the PC and then just record everything you need afterwards - again it's mostly about workflow and some people like to get away from the PC as much as possbile with harware synths

Out of those 4 I'd either go for the Sub Phatty or maybe Analog 4
Tera Baragan
Moog slim phatty is my favorite. Go with a moog for that every so lovely filter.

<< Back to Producer tips and DAW informationReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy