Need help: Multi-Channel, Multi-Instrument Single MIDI to Separate MIDI Tracks

Home :: Producer tips and DAW information :: Need help: Multi-Channel, Multi-Instrument Single MIDI to Separate MIDI TracksReply
Need help: Multi-Channel, Multi-Instrument Single MIDI to Separate MIDI Tracks
Posted on: 11.11.2013 by Robbyn Student
Here's my current situation...

I have an idea for reviving and updating an old song for a possible Electro House / Dubstep cover. After looking around, I bought the MIDI of the song I want to rework for $5 USD. When I unzipped the MIDI backing track, I found that all of the MIDI info for ALL of the instruments (drums, guitar, synths, vocal, and bass) is on a singular track. All I really want is the synths, the drums (but only to use as a reference, because I plan to replace and reprogram the drums myself), the bass, and the guitars...and I need to be able to manipulate the MIDI for each instrument in separate MIDI clips on separate channels. (I hope that made sense.) The zip file also includes a numbered list indicating what channel on the MIDI represents what instrument, so that's a plus.

So...

Is there a DAW function or VST that can split the channels on the MIDI track that I was given into individual MIDI for each instrument? I'm half tone-deaf and can't read music, so sitting for hours guessing what MIDI notes to delete and what needs left alone seems to be a bit more frustrating and time consuming than necessary. Since I'm a firm believer in working smarter, not harder...I hope there is a way to automate this task somehow so I can actually expedite hearing my idea out loud. Just FYI, I am using Ableton Live Suite 8 and Suite 9 (on 64-bit WIN 7).

Any suggestions?
Robbyn Student
Originally Posted by Tarekith
In Ableton you can specify the MIDI channel for each MIDI track. So you could copy that MIDI file to mutiple midi tracks, and set each one to a different midi channel to hear only that channel's midi. Assigned to an instrument first of course.
So just to clarify... I should duplicate the MIDI file to multiple MIDI tracks in Ableton then Right click each duplicated MIDI clip... deactivate all the MIDI notes except for ones in each channel I want to continue hearing via that instrument assigned to that unmuted portion, correct?
Robbyn Student
Originally Posted by amadeus
Not the best qualities to have to be a producer if I'm honest.

You have to work hard, and put effort in.

And being tone deaf, really will not help.
I'm well aware. ...Maybe I shouldn't have described myself as tone deaf. Maybe I should have said, "Key Identification Challenged" instead.
Lawana Mileto
Originally Posted by B-Naut
I'm half tone-deaf and can't read music and..

I'm a firm believer in working smarter, not harder

Any suggestions?

Robbyn Student
Here's my current situation...

I have an idea for reviving and updating an old song for a possible Electro House / Dubstep cover. After looking around, I bought the MIDI of the song I want to rework for $5 USD. When I unzipped the MIDI backing track, I found that all of the MIDI info for ALL of the instruments (drums, guitar, synths, vocal, and bass) is on a singular track. All I really want is the synths, the drums (but only to use as a reference, because I plan to replace and reprogram the drums myself), the bass, and the guitars...and I need to be able to manipulate the MIDI for each instrument in separate MIDI clips on separate channels. (I hope that made sense.) The zip file also includes a numbered list indicating what channel on the MIDI represents what instrument, so that's a plus.

So...

Is there a DAW function or VST that can split the channels on the MIDI track that I was given into individual MIDI for each instrument? I'm half tone-deaf and can't read music, so sitting for hours guessing what MIDI notes to delete and what needs left alone seems to be a bit more frustrating and time consuming than necessary. Since I'm a firm believer in working smarter, not harder...I hope there is a way to automate this task somehow so I can actually expedite hearing my idea out loud. Just FYI, I am using Ableton Live Suite 8 and Suite 9 (on 64-bit WIN 7).

Any suggestions?
Robbyn Student
...anyone?
Robbyn Student
Originally Posted by Tarekith
In Ableton you can specify the MIDI channel for each MIDI track. So you could copy that MIDI file to mutiple midi tracks, and set each one to a different midi channel to hear only that channel's midi. Assigned to an instrument first of course.
So just to clarify... I should duplicate the MIDI file to multiple MIDI tracks in Ableton then Right click each duplicated MIDI clip... deactivate all the MIDI notes except for ones in each channel I want to continue hearing via that instrument assigned to that unmuted portion, correct?
Robbyn Student
Originally Posted by amadeus

I'm well aware. ...Maybe I shouldn't have described myself as tone deaf. Maybe I should have said, "Key Identification Challenged" instead.
Lawana Mileto
Originally Posted by B-Naut
I'm half tone-deaf and can't read music and..

I'm a firm believer in working smarter, not harder

Any suggestions?

Monserrate Rupnow

<< Back to Producer tips and DAW informationReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy